Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,510 members, 7,819,839 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:23 AM

Obasanjo: "The Danger Posed By Unemployed Youths Is Real & Potent - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo: "The Danger Posed By Unemployed Youths Is Real & Potent (7702 Views)

FG To Replace N5,000 Monthly Stipend For Unemployed Youths —ngige / Jonathan Hits Back At Obasanjo -the Sun / Introducing Chief Olusegun Obasanjo:The Navigator of A.P.C Ship of "Change" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo: "The Danger Posed By Unemployed Youths Is Real & Potent by SPIFF(m): 2:18pm On Nov 12, 2012
Obasanjo: "The Danger Ahead Is Real and Potent, Revolution Coming"

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has expressed fears that Nigeria will witness a revolution soon unless government takes urgent steps to check growing youth unemployment and poverty.

Speaking at the West African regional conference on youth employment in Dakar, Senegal at the weekend, Obasanjo said the danger posed by an army of unemployed youth in Nigeria can only be imagined.

"I'm afraid, and you know I am a General. When a General says he is afraid, that means the danger ahead is real and potent," he said.

Obasanjo added that despite what he called the imminent threat to Nigeria's nationhood "there is absence of serious, concrete, realistic, short and long term solution" to youth unemployment.

He made reference to the doctorate degree holders who applied for jobs as drivers at the Dangote Group, saying Nigerian youths have been patient enough and that this patience will soon reach its elastic limit.

According to the former president, youth unemployment rate which was 72% in 1999 when he took over power had been reduced to 52% by 2004 but that the rate rocketed to 71% by 2011.

Obasanjo left office in 2007, succeeded by Umaru Yar'Adua who died in 2010, and President Jonathan has been in office since then.

The former president lamented that the unemployment situation had given rise to the prevalence of social crimes being perpetrated by three categories of youth whom he identified as area boys, Yahoo boys and, recently, Blackberry boys

He told the diverse audience that in Nigeria people talk of growth without corresponding development, and that what is visible is increased poverty

Obasanjo said national leaders must create incentives that will encourage entrepreneurs to flourish and that special attention should be given to agriculture business as against mere farming.

He reiterated the need for easy access to land and micro credit, while advocating for a review of school curriculum to enable undergraduates spend additional one year to learn entrepreneurship.

At the sub-regional level, Obasanjo called for a review of the New Partnership for African Development (NEPAD) to accommodate issues of youth unemployment and job creation.

The conference, which was sponsored by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) and the African Development Bank, was attended by top bankers from across Africa including the Managing Director of Nigeria's Bank of Industry, Ms. Evelyn Oputu.

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/obasanjo-warns-jonathan-revolution-coming
Re: Obasanjo: "The Danger Posed By Unemployed Youths Is Real & Potent by kokosheen(m): 2:23pm On Nov 12, 2012
OBJ is part of the problem, he created and cultivated the atmosphere for which we now find ourselves. 2015 here we come.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: "The Danger Posed By Unemployed Youths Is Real & Potent by Kx: 2:26pm On Nov 12, 2012
SPIFF: Obasanjo: "The Danger Ahead Is Real and Potent, Revolution Coming"
According to the former president, youth unemployment rate which was 72% in 1999 when he took over power had been reduced to 52% by 2004 but that the rate rocketed to 71% by 2011.

He told the diverse audience that in Nigeria people talk of growth without corresponding development, and that what is visible is increased poverty
Re: Obasanjo: "The Danger Posed By Unemployed Youths Is Real & Potent by engrfcuksmtin(m): 2:27pm On Nov 12, 2012
Can revolution happen in Nigeria?
Who will be initiator?
Who will participate in it?

As a reult of idleness am the 3rd to comment.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: "The Danger Posed By Unemployed Youths Is Real & Potent by redsun(m): 2:30pm On Nov 12, 2012
His going to be one of the first victim of revolution in nigeria,anyway.Without people like him out of the way for good,any revolution will be a whitewashed one.
Re: Obasanjo: "The Danger Posed By Unemployed Youths Is Real & Potent by takedat(m): 2:46pm On Nov 12, 2012
What is OBJ driving at? Is it that his government performed better than the Present one? OBJ and GEJ are avian of the same plumage. If Nigeria erupts, all corrupt politicians irrespective of party affiliation, past and present government ,shady business men, none will ever go scot free. Their time of Reckoning beckons!

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: "The Danger Posed By Unemployed Youths Is Real & Potent by okosodo: 3:50pm On Nov 12, 2012
If it leads to splitting, i will enjoy it

4 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: "The Danger Posed By Unemployed Youths Is Real & Potent by Olaolufred(m): 3:57pm On Nov 12, 2012
It is now clear that PDP knows they had done nothing but impoverish Nigerians.
Why can't Nigerians give away PDP for another coalition of Parties?
Why can't ACN, CPC, APGA, ANPP etc come strong under an umbrella to present Nigerians with an alternative?
To Nigerians, shall we continue using this same formulae(PDP)we used for 13 years and keep expecting different answers?
Only a fool will do that.
NIGERIANS, CAN'T WE BREAK FROM BEING A FOOL THAT THE POLITICIANS ALWAYS ASSUMED WE ARE?
Nigerians are the real problem of Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: "The Danger Posed By Unemployed Youths Is Real & Potent by belovedaja(m): 4:12pm On Nov 12, 2012
okosodo: If it leads to splitting, i will enjoy it
mumu

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: "The Danger Posed By Unemployed Youths Is Real & Potent by KENESAGA(m): 4:46pm On Nov 12, 2012
belovedaja:
mumu
WHY AR U CALLING HIM MUMU? HE SAID HIS MIND, IF U DON'T LIKE WHAT HE SAID U NEGLET IT, SOON ABUSES WILL START ROLLING. NA WA 4 SOME PPL.

5 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: "The Danger Posed By Unemployed Youths Is Real & Potent by Nobody: 4:46pm On Nov 12, 2012
Good news!

How can I join this revolution? - I'll like to murk a couple of people... grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: "The Danger Posed By Unemployed Youths Is Real & Potent by Chamber10(m): 7:50pm On Nov 12, 2012
Obj is part of the problem. He spent billions to generate darkness instead of electricity. If the revolution starts, it will start from Ota.

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: "The Danger Posed By Unemployed Youths Is Real & Potent by Willy7(m): 8:03pm On Nov 12, 2012
Hate him or love him,though not a fan myself,this man doesn't just talk for talking sake.He maybe part of d problem but he has seen d inevitable,its left for d people that re presently at d helm of affairs in govt 2 take note and do what's neccesary.Its really imminent,and recent events such as d everyday jungle justices of robbery offenders,glaring insincerity on d part of d govt and recent badnews emanating from d country points towards an imminent revolution.God help us all.

4 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: "The Danger Posed By Unemployed Youths Is Real & Potent by otokx(m): 8:30pm On Nov 12, 2012
front page please
Re: Obasanjo: "The Danger Posed By Unemployed Youths Is Real & Potent by KINGwax(m): 8:38pm On Nov 12, 2012
kokosheen: OBJ is part of the problem, he created and cultivated the atmosphere for which we now find ourselves. 2015 here we come.
as expected, you are ignorant of your enemy! OBJ is a bad looking ugly mofo, i can't agree more. But here are some of what u can mull over:
1. Cleared all your debts and left with no one
2. Left a high foreign reserve
3. Even without electricity, nigeria's economy was at the rise
4. Reduced unemploymen with so many programmes put in place
5. Gave u that fuckin GSM u now use to display your ignorant.

That guy is far from perfect, but as far as today is concerned, you've got no better president

16 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: "The Danger Posed By Unemployed Youths Is Real & Potent by Nobody: 8:39pm On Nov 12, 2012
Nairalanders and Nigerians, we need action not words. The time for SNC is now!!!
Re: Obasanjo: "The Danger Posed By Unemployed Youths Is Real & Potent by Shenez: 8:44pm On Nov 12, 2012
He his part of the problem, his successor Yar'dua die because of the problem. Gej is nursing the problem created by his presuccessor. I wish he fix it b4 leaving office.
Bunch of Oleeeee
Re: Obasanjo: "The Danger Posed By Unemployed Youths Is Real & Potent by abiolag(m): 8:44pm On Nov 12, 2012
As much as i don't lyk dis old man,i think he is rit abt dis.guys r frustrated and if things r not properly handle by d govt,revolution may just b around d corner.
Though am not praying 4 it sha
Re: Obasanjo: "The Danger Posed By Unemployed Youths Is Real & Potent by KINGwax(m): 8:45pm On Nov 12, 2012
Chamber10: Obj is part of the problem. He spent billions to generate darkness instead of electricity. If the revolution starts, it will start from Ota.
if u knw nothing abt d electricity issue, shut your mouth! Hasn't the electricity integration started already? Didn't your photocopy of a president then-yar dua, stopped it so dt it will be investigated? He said there was no senate approval. But in the long run, they found out it was an executive decision!
Now, the company was initially accused of fraud with the former president- OBJ, and when they were called upon to continue the work, they refused!
Instead, the smart guys sued your stupid nigeria for a sum that was even far more than the contract sum and according to the contract terms, the project went dead!
Where were u wen the feds were issuing an apology to OBJ.
He is smart, very smart and will embezzle his money in a legit way!

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: "The Danger Posed By Unemployed Youths Is Real & Potent by alfredo4u(m): 8:46pm On Nov 12, 2012
Revolution witout food. Na die b dat oh
Re: Obasanjo: "The Danger Posed By Unemployed Youths Is Real & Potent by PeeDaVinci: 8:51pm On Nov 12, 2012
[size=18pt]area boys, Yahoo boys and, recently, Blackberry boys[/size] - classic
Re: Obasanjo: "The Danger Posed By Unemployed Youths Is Real & Potent by Ramcie(f): 9:03pm On Nov 12, 2012
KINGwax: as expected, you are ignorant of your enemy! OBJ is a bad looking ugly mofo, i can't agree more. But here are some of what u can mull over:

That guy is far from perfect, but as far as today is concerned, you've got no better president

It's IGNORANCE dude tongue. you made some clear points there about OBJ I like that . kiss
Re: Obasanjo: "The Danger Posed By Unemployed Youths Is Real & Potent by web2X: 9:05pm On Nov 12, 2012
May God help us. Mountain full Ekiti, i'll relocate for a safe harbor, sharply. *smiles*
Re: Obasanjo: "The Danger Posed By Unemployed Youths Is Real & Potent by Archmed(m): 9:06pm On Nov 12, 2012
OBJ...thank God you knew d youths have been patient enough..sure d revolution is coming...and when it finally comes,You and your generations would not be spared....!
Re: Obasanjo: "The Danger Posed By Unemployed Youths Is Real & Potent by mu2sa2: 9:22pm On Nov 12, 2012
okosodo: If it leads to splitting, i will enjoy it
Splitting your head, abi?
Re: Obasanjo: "The Danger Posed By Unemployed Youths Is Real & Potent by Kingslaw(m): 9:32pm On Nov 12, 2012
I will think about taking the lead. Things must change for better.
Re: Obasanjo: "The Danger Posed By Unemployed Youths Is Real & Potent by kokosheen(m): 9:46pm On Nov 12, 2012
KINGwax: as expected, you are ignorant of your enemy! OBJ is a bad looking ugly mofo, i can't agree more. But here are some of what u can mull over:

Dude, I laugh at what you term ignorance, which means you're non-ignorant shey, Ode (I didn't say you're F0Ol grin).

The 1st point you raised makes no sense and I doubt if you earn REAL money or run a business. Wake up, everyone is in debt. From the America you all run to, to the countries that make up the Paris club. It doesn't make much common sense to pay-off a whole chunk of how many billions of dollars NOI scammed OBJ to pay in one go, if the debt is structured well. It even acts as a deterrence to other Mofos coming after Obj not to borrow more (Like we've clearly seen, next year the external debt profile will rise to $9 Billion, while domestic is already close to $18Billion (or something in this region)). That money could have been used to execute urgently needed capital projects but no, they had to pay off their masters.
Having a good level of debt is good, that's if you listen to NOI (thank God, she's the same main actor in both govts)

on your 2nd point, your so-called high foreign reserve was a scam because OBJ signed-off on so many power projects (good job on that) whose cash calls didn't come through till after he left (if you know anything about budget phasing/payment structures/plan, you'll appreciate that NOT all commitments are paid for at point of contract/purchase order award). This now brings to question what OBJ spent the $8Billion for power projects in his last 4 years on shey wink

On your third point, shey you know the period OBJ was in power and left was the when the world financial mess was created by the banking cowboys abi? You cannot create sustainable wealth without a manufacturing industry to support it. That's why out of all the European countries, its the Scandinavian countries and Germany that have withstood the storm (Even Iceland that had the first banking crisis (trigger) has sustained growth). The money was there then and foreign investors flooded the Nigerian market with FX, after the bubble bust, they ran away and the economy has been on shaky mode since (without the worldwide financial crisis, Cecilia Ibru would never have gone to jail wink, wrong timing).

On your fourth point, what employment did he reduce sit there and be lying to yourself grin. Whatever employment gain/loss we had in the period and since then, is directly attributed to my statement above as banks were opening branches as if they were competing with RCCG and employing massively to man these branches (of course you know about the subsequent massive lay-off not long after).

On your fifth point, seriously SMH for you. The guy didn't give me nada, he gave licenses to mobile phone providers, no light to power them,no infrastructure to support them, sh1t, those guys had to start from scratch and you're here writing trash. Do you know the amount of kickback OBJ received till he left power? angry

On a final note, I wouldn't have bothered to respond to you if some people didn't go liking your post and it creates a sad feeling within me that Nigerians are now so bastardized that our mental psyche accepts whatever condition we find ourselves. Dude! OBJ is a traitor to this country and he has NEVER wished well for me and you. All these things you appreciate him for, are crumbs when you see the amount of wealth + potential of the country being wasted. Take a trip to KL and see what a country that came to yours for palm kennel seeds have done for themselves embarassed.

7 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: "The Danger Posed By Unemployed Youths Is Real & Potent by chucky234(m): 9:47pm On Nov 12, 2012
shymexx: Good news!

How can I join this revolution? - I'll like to murk a couple of people... grin grin
Hehehehe don't even think about it bro
Re: Obasanjo: "The Danger Posed By Unemployed Youths Is Real & Potent by Hardfact: 10:03pm On Nov 12, 2012
Hmm! Baba she na now your eyes dey clear?
Re: Obasanjo: "The Danger Posed By Unemployed Youths Is Real & Potent by deolumike(m): 10:05pm On Nov 12, 2012
shymexx: Good news!

. I can bet more than a thousand people will share the same targets with you, whichever individual you will have in the crosshair. Isn't it so unfortunate that this big country is plundered, pillaged and enslaved by few individals who of late seem to take pride in being identified as the Cabal? The situation is unacceptalbe.
Re: Obasanjo: "The Danger Posed By Unemployed Youths Is Real & Potent by Nobody: 10:15pm On Nov 12, 2012
I am tempted to scoff at the messenger, but I entirely agree with the message. The truth that we have a colossal unemployment crisis on our hands, and the signs are extremely ominous.

With the establishment of dime-a-dozen private universities every other week, the soaring numbers of UMTE candidates seeking admissions each year, and the umpteem number of graduates being churned out of our higher institutions in their hundreds of thousands annually, you have to wonder: where are the jobs for all these people? We're not even talking about the millions of unfortunate and less privileged individuals that are uneducated, unskilled, unemployed, and probably unemployable. When you take all these into consideration, it is difficult not to see the real possibility of an imminent explosion in crime, upheaveal, and social disorder in the near future. May God help us.
Re: Obasanjo: "The Danger Posed By Unemployed Youths Is Real & Potent by deolumike(m): 10:22pm On Nov 12, 2012
kokosheen:

Dude, I laugh at what you term ignorance, which means you're non-ignorant shey, Ode (I didn't say you're F0Ol grin).

The 1st point you raised makes no sense and I doubt if you earn REAL money or run a business. Wake up, everyone is in debt. From the America you all run to, to the countries that make up the Paris club. It doesn't make much common sense to pay-off a whole chunk of how many billions of dollars NOI scammed OBJ to pay in one go, if the debt is structured well. It even acts as a deterrence to other Mofos coming after Obj not to borrow more (Like we've clearly seen, next year the external debt profile will rise to $9 Billion, while domestic is already close to $18Billion (or something in this region)). That money could have been used to execute urgently needed capital projects but no, they had to pay off their masters.
Having a good level of debt is good, that's if you listen to NOI (thank God, she's the same main actor in both govts)

on your 2nd point, your so-called high foreign reserve was a scam because OBJ signed-off on so many power projects (good job on that) whose cash calls didn't come through till after he left (if you know anything about budget phasing/payment structures/plan, you'll appreciate that NOT all commitments are paid for at point of contract/purchase order award). This now brings to question what OBJ spent the $8Billion for power projects in his last 4 years on shey wink

On your third point, shey you know the period OBJ was in power and left was the when the world financial mess was created by the banking cowboys abi? You cannot create sustainable wealth without a manufacturing industry to support it. That's why out of all the European countries, its the Scandinavian countries and Germany that have withstood the storm (Even Iceland that had the first banking crisis (trigger) has sustained growth). The money was there then and foreign investors flooded the Nigerian market with FX, after the bubble bust, they ran away and the economy has been on shaky mode since (without the worldwide financial crisis, Cecilia Ibru would never have gone to jail wink, wrong timing).

On your fourth point, what employment did he reduce sit there and be lying to yourself grin. Whatever employment gain/loss we had in the period and since then, is directly attributed to my statement above as banks were opening branches as if they were competing with RCCG and employing massively to man these branches (of course you know about the subsequent massive lay-off not long after).

On your fifth point, seriously SMH for you. The guy didn't give me nada, he gave licenses to mobile phone providers, no light to power them,no infrastructure to support them, sh1t, those guys had to start from scratch and you're here writing trash. Do you know the amount of kickback OBJ received till he left power? angry

On a final note, I wouldn't have bothered to respond to you if some people didn't go liking your post and it creates a sad feeling within me that Nigerians are now so bastardized that our mental psyche accepts whatever condition we find ourselves. Dude! OBJ is a traitor to this country and he has NEVER wished well for me and you. All these things you appreciate him for, are crumbs when you see the amount of wealth + potential of the country being wasted. Take a trip to KL and see what a country that came to yours for palm kennel seeds have done for themselves embarassed.
. Nice one jare and that's just the truth of the matter. The guy made it seem like Mahatma Ghandi was a villain compared to Obj. Sometimes I wonder what makes Nigerians adulate political leaders that deserve prosecution. Obj that held on to the allocation of Lagos state because of some vendatta with the then incumbent gov over creation of much needed local governments. I remembered the supreme court gave its ruling on the matter.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Farmers Get Debit Cards For Farming Inputs In Osun / Igbo Women Are Descendants Of King Solomon And Queen Sheba Of Ethiopia / How Biafran Commanders Surrendered (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.