Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,414 members, 7,819,487 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:06 PM

What Should Be Done About The Nigerian Gay & Lesbian Problem? - Religion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Should Be Done About The Nigerian Gay & Lesbian Problem? (9215 Views)

Desmond Tutu's Daughter Weds Her Lesbian Partner & he Was there (Pics) / PHOTOS: I Abandoned My Five Children To Become A Lesbian / Jide Macaulay, Nigerian Gay Pastor Writes Letter To Homophobes With Bible Quotes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Should Be Done About The Nigerian Gay & Lesbian Problem? by MrAnony1(m): 10:24pm On Nov 18, 2012
cyrexx: For those who really want to know, this OMV argument/defense is the moral argument given by WL Craig which states that:

4) If there are objective moral values, then God exists
5) There are objective moral values
6) Therefore, God exists.

“Objective moral values” here means that moral values are true regardless of what anyone thinks. For example, “murder is wrong” would be wrong even if every single human being thought murder was the way to achieve greatest happiness and encouraged it as an extracurricular activity for teenagers. But the only way to hold that objective moral values exist is to grant God’s existence, because objective laws require an objective lawgiver.

This argument commits the fallacy of necessity as it assumes that objective moral values are contingent on a god existing, when this is not necessarily so. No gods or goddesses for that matter are required for morality to exist, as ethics and morals in reality come from Normative Ethical Theories such as Utilitiarianism--which means doing what is right for the overall good.

One can make any wild claim as Dr. Craig does in his argument. Let me make a substitution in Dr. Craig's argument to illustrate:

P1. If humans do not exist, objective moral values and duties would not exist.
P2. Objective moral values and duties do exist.
C. Therefore, humans exist.

Just like William Craig's argument, there is no proof for P1. The argument is valid, but whether it is sound or not is questionable. In the case of Craig's argument, as I have already shown, we have another viable option for objective moral values, and that is the use of Normative Ethical Theories.

On another note, my argument is valid, but is contingent on humans existing, so it too commits the fallacy of necessity, as we have no way of knowing whether or not morality and duty is dependent on the existence of humans. Many animals have exhibited moral behaviors, so it is not necessarily so that morality only exists in the realm of humanity.

For the sake of argument, let's assume his argument works. Dr. Craig himself admits that this argument alone does not prove the Christian god. The reason for this is that every non-Christian culture, has/had their own standards and moral guidelines that they follow, and therefore their morals and duties are not contingent on the christian god Yahweh existing. Hindu's have a moral code. African Traditional religionists had a moral code. The Native Americans had moral codes long before the White Christians came along, and many Christian missionaries made note of the fact the Indians had "no sin. " Orthodox Buddhists do not even posit a god, but they too have a moral code/standard etc.

Let's assume however, that Yahweh exists and that we received moral values from this particular god. Let's say for example that a father murders his children because he claims god told him to in order to save them from Satan. Most christians would claim that Yahweh would never tell anyone to do such a heinous thing, and the man who killed his children is just crazy. The reasoning that concludes that it was not Yahweh who told the man to kill his children allows another conclusion to be drawn. This would be a moral test in which the conclusion that was drawn came from our own moral knowledge, and not from what a god said. Yahweh has, after all, according to the bible, spoken through others, ordering them to slaughter the innocents, so it would be inductively valid to assume that Yahweh ordered the man to murder his children. (Hosea 13:16)

Are actions in any case right or wrong then because god says they are; or are they right or wrong because they are right or wrong? The Divine Command theory in ethics states that whatever god says is right is right--in this case the Christian god Yahweh-- which would mean the slaughter of innocent children, pregnant women and their unborn fetuses would be considered right. If this is the case then, there is no standard for good, as murder would be considered "good." Therefore, true objective morality cannot come from such a god.

Source
Perhaps you should actually seek and read WLC's argument in detail first before copypasting some rebuttal. This one is laughable
Re: What Should Be Done About The Nigerian Gay & Lesbian Problem? by Nobody: 10:34pm On Nov 18, 2012
mazaje:

What am saying is that morality can not be objective when some people see nothing wrong with being gay others see it as a bad thing. Right or wrong depends on the society you live in and period in time. I said polygamy is right in some society and wrong in others. . .When slavery was good, your god was advocating the sale of people daughters into slavery. . .Right and wrong are not objective. . .If they were people your honour and revere as good men, people like Moses will not honoured an revered. . .If Moses was alive today and did what was written about him in the bible he will be executed or be sentenced to life in prison as a war criminal and an advocate of slavery. . .

I totally agree with you bro. Even Jesus might ask christians to cast the first stone if they think they are better than the gays.

The human race is still evolving,so laws do change according to the levels of evolution. Therefore,judging our present day society with the bible is wrong. Even our laws today will find the god of the bible primitive like the boko haram and talibans e.g stoning wayward children to death, not working on sunday etc. although some people are still caught up the the past(christians and muslims) that doent mean there are no sane people aiding the growth the society deserves.

The more we evolve,the more we readjust our laws.
Re: What Should Be Done About The Nigerian Gay & Lesbian Problem? by mazaje(m): 10:59pm On Nov 18, 2012
ifeness:

I totally agree with you bro. Even Jesus might ask christians to cast the first stone if they think they are better than the gays.

The human race is still evolving,so laws do change according to the levels of evolution. Therefore,judging our present day society with the bible is wrong. Even our laws today will find the god of the bible primitive like the boko haram and talibans e.g stoning wayward children to death, not working on sunday etc. although some people are still caught up the the past(christians and muslims) that doent mean there are no sane people aiding the growth the society deserves.

The more we evolve,the more we readjust our laws.

Anony keeps claiming that morality is objective but when asked to show how he keeps speaking english. . . .
Re: What Should Be Done About The Nigerian Gay & Lesbian Problem? by MrAnony1(m): 11:08pm On Nov 18, 2012
mazaje:

What am saying is that morality can not be objective when some people see nothing wrong with being gay others see it as a bad thing. Right or wrong depends on the society you live in and period in time. I said polygamy is right in some society and wrong in others. . .When slavery was good, your god was advocating the sale of people daughters into slavery. . .Right and wrong are not objective. . .If they were people your honour and revere as good men, people like Moses will not honoured an revered. . .If Moses was alive today and did what was written about him in the bible he will be executed or be sentenced to life in prison as a war criminal and an advocate of slavery. . .
And once again, my point is that if what is right for me is wrong for you, and what is wrong for you is right for someone else, we immediately lose the right to make any moral judgments. For instance, you can no longer claim that a murderer is evil. It is merely your opinion. Murder is right for him.

If we respect subjective morality, we can no longer make any laws because it becomes a case of "who are you to tell someone else that an action is wrong?"

Whenever you say that something is evil and expect someone else to obviously agree with you, you are at that moment assuming an objective morality because you expect everyone to know that obviously such and such is wrong.
Re: What Should Be Done About The Nigerian Gay & Lesbian Problem? by Nobody: 11:11pm On Nov 18, 2012
mazaje:
[size=14pt]
Anony keeps claiming that morality is objective but when asked to show how he keeps speaking english. . [/size]. .
Re: What Should Be Done About The Nigerian Gay & Lesbian Problem? by mazaje(m): 11:26pm On Nov 18, 2012
Mr_Anony:
And once again, my point is that if what is right for me is wrong for you, and what is wrong for you is right for someone else, we immediately lose the right to make any moral judgments. For instance, you can no longer claim that a murderer is evil. It is merely your opinion. Murder is right for him.

If we respect subjective morality, we can no longer make any laws because it becomes a case of "who are you to tell someone else that an action is wrong?"

Whenever you say that something is evil and expect someone else to obviously agree with you, you are at that moment assuming an objective morality because you expect everyone to know that obviously such and such is wrong.

You know what am talking about but you as usual are trying to make things up and run commentary on them. I maintain that people chose what is right or wrong in every society, morality depends on what people chose to label as right or wrong. Consensus is what people chose to tag what is right or what is wrong. Morality is not objective but depends on the society and period in time. When I say that stealing is wrong I say so because most societies have come to agree that it is wrong, but that can not be said about polygamy or homosexuality. People select leaders and leaders through consensus make laws that they live by which are enforced on the people based on how the feel justice and prosperity of the people will be served, sometimes these laws are made based on greed and selfishness. These laws are subject to change and are constantly changing. Through out human history morality is based on human consensus and varies from place to place and time in history. It has never been objective and has nothing to do with any god since all moral laws and codes of conduct are a creation of human beings. . .
Re: What Should Be Done About The Nigerian Gay & Lesbian Problem? by MrAnony1(m): 12:39am On Nov 19, 2012
mazaje:

You know what am talking about but you as usual are trying to make things up and run commentary on them. I maintain that people chose what is right or wrong in every society, morality depends on what people chose to label as right or wrong. Consensus is what people chose to tag what is right or what is wrong. Morality is not objective but depends on the society and period in time. When I say that stealing is wrong I say so because most societies have come to agree that it is wrong, but that can not be said about polygamy or homosexuality. People select leaders and leaders through consensus make laws that they live by which are enforced on the people based on how the feel justice and prosperity of the people will be served, sometimes these laws are made based on greed and selfishness. These laws are subject to change and are constantly changing. Through out human history morality is based on human consensus and varies from place to place and time in history. It has never been objective and has nothing to do with any god since all moral laws and codes of conduct are a creation of human beings. . .
My friend, you have repeated this same thing over and over again and you can repeat it some more if you like, the fact remains that one cannot make any valid moral judgment without ascribing to an objective morality
Re: What Should Be Done About The Nigerian Gay & Lesbian Problem? by mazaje(m): 12:48am On Nov 19, 2012
Mr_Anony:
My friend, you have repeated this same thing over and over again and you can repeat it some more if you like, the fact remains that one cannot make any valid moral judgment without ascribing to an objective morality

And the objective morality is?. . . .I have asked you many times to show how morality is objective and you keep speaking english. . .Point to how morality is objective and point to any source of determining what is right or wrong that is different from the human society. . .
Re: What Should Be Done About The Nigerian Gay & Lesbian Problem? by cyrexx: 7:36am On Nov 19, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Perhaps you should actually seek and read WLC's argument in detail first before copypasting some rebuttal. This one is laughable

what makes you think i've not understood WLC's argument?

when you want to avoid and dodge my points, you accuse me of what is not.

if you are too lazy and biased to read that rebuttal to WLC, you can watch this video that not only explains what OMV entails, but proves it wrong as basis for the argument of god's existence, i.e. if one is not trying to employ anonyism and dodging the obvious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN-yLH4bXAI

here is the full debate between Sam Harris and W.L. Craig. somewhere in the video, Sam utterly destroy Craig's OMV arguments. i expect you to watch in entirety before you comment on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqaHXKLRKzg
Re: What Should Be Done About The Nigerian Gay & Lesbian Problem? by Enigma(m): 8:39am On Nov 19, 2012
Even some atheists acknowledged that Harris lost --- because of inability to engage the real issue.

Here is something I've posted before https://www.nairaland.com/298119/30-keys-being-effective-atheist/3#9574574

Anyway here are two reviews of the Craig v Harris debate: one each by a theist and an atheist. http://www.randyeverist.com/2011/04/review-of-craig-vs-harris-debate.html

http://commonsenseatheism.com/?p=15243

cool
Re: What Should Be Done About The Nigerian Gay & Lesbian Problem? by cyrexx: 9:38am On Nov 19, 2012
Enigma: Even some atheists acknowledged that Harris lost --- because of inability to engage the real issue.

and i'm sure some theists will acknowledge that Sam Harris won, with the way Craig is unable to defend the inconsistent moral codes of yahweh.

Here is something I've posted before https://www.nairaland.com/298119/30-keys-being-effective-atheist/3#9574574

and here is a short but effective answer for that thread from harakiri
harakiri: Imagine people who have zero understanding of the word "ATHEIST" means giving "keys" of becoming an "effective atheist". How dumb can people really be?

*edited*
Re: What Should Be Done About The Nigerian Gay & Lesbian Problem? by Enigma(m): 9:40am On Nov 19, 2012
Ok, have fun. smiley

cool
Re: What Should Be Done About The Nigerian Gay & Lesbian Problem? by cyrexx: 9:44am On Nov 19, 2012
Yes sir, you too. smiley
Re: What Should Be Done About The Nigerian Gay & Lesbian Problem? by Enigma(m): 10:06am On Nov 19, 2012
cyrexx: . . . .
*edited*

LoL wink

cool
Re: What Should Be Done About The Nigerian Gay & Lesbian Problem? by Valakanke(f): 12:54pm On Nov 19, 2012
[b][b]fellis: Gay people disgust me.

Anyone in his right thinking mind would be disgusted. But the fact remains that this trend is here to stay. In the UK where I live some people still frown and are disgusted by it. It is a growing trend and the only thing one can do is not allow our family or relatives get involved becos it is a terrible soul destroying demonic spirit. We mind our business when we come across them here as they now seem to be all over the place otherwise you will get into real and serious trouble as it has worked its way into government.VERY SAD!! angry angry
Re: What Should Be Done About The Nigerian Gay & Lesbian Problem? by Nobody: 4:58pm On Nov 19, 2012
Valakanke:

Anyone in his right thinking mind would be disgusted. But the fact remains that this trend is here to stay. In the UK where I live some people still frown and are disgusted by it. It is a growing trend and the only thing one can do is not allow our family or relatives get involved becos it is a terrible soul destroying demonic spirit. We mind our business when we come across them here as they now seem to be all over the place otherwise you will get into real and serious trouble as it has worked its way into government.VERY SAD!! angry angry

Awww, Sorry about that man.

I live in Nigeria though and I am not under any pressure to pretend that I am okay with homosexuality (thank God).

I don't understand this type of by force acceptance for gays that these western countries are trying to force down our throats.
Re: What Should Be Done About The Nigerian Gay & Lesbian Problem? by Nobody: 5:03pm On Nov 19, 2012
fellis:

Awww, Sorry about that man.

I live in Nigeria though and I am not under any pressure to pretend that I am okay with homosexuality (thank God).

I don't understand this type of by force acceptance for gays that these western countries are trying to force down our throats.

Explain how homosexuality is forced on western society? Is it like how Sharia is forced on non-muslims in muslim countries?

This picture explains it;

2 Likes

Re: What Should Be Done About The Nigerian Gay & Lesbian Problem? by Nobody: 5:12pm On Nov 19, 2012
^^^
They should be locked behind bars for 14 years so that us normal people will not have to interact with them.

Rather they are left to roam free and to even get married.

That is how western societies force us to accept them.
Re: What Should Be Done About The Nigerian Gay & Lesbian Problem? by Nobody: 5:14pm On Nov 19, 2012
fellis: ^^^
They should be locked behind bars for 14 years so that us normal people will not have to interact with them.

Rather they are left to roam free and to even get married.

That is how western societies force us to accept them.

Wow, seriously? You dont honestly believe that!

Tell me that you are trolling?
Re: What Should Be Done About The Nigerian Gay & Lesbian Problem? by wiegraf: 5:19pm On Nov 19, 2012
Logicboy03:

Wow, seriously? You dont honestly believe that!

Tell me that you are trolling?

Bigotry is not supposed to be reasonable
Re: What Should Be Done About The Nigerian Gay & Lesbian Problem? by Nobody: 5:23pm On Nov 19, 2012
wiegraf:

Bigotry is not supposed to be reasonable

grin grin grin

lol.....Fellis used to be reasonable
Re: What Should Be Done About The Nigerian Gay & Lesbian Problem? by Smartiegurl(f): 9:10pm On Nov 19, 2012
I wonder the kind of pleasure these people gain from flirting around same sex! Too bad you knw!
Re: What Should Be Done About The Nigerian Gay & Lesbian Problem? by Nobody: 9:26pm On Nov 19, 2012
Smartie gurl: I wonder the kind of pleasure these people gain from flirting around same sex! Too bad you knw!

Re: What Should Be Done About The Nigerian Gay & Lesbian Problem? by MrAnony1(m): 5:50pm On Nov 23, 2012
Logicboy03:

Lol, Interesting

Don't like tithing? Don't pay tithe
Don't like churches? Don't go to one
Don't like prayer? Don't pray
Don't like miracles? Don't seek them
Don't like people insulting your father?
Don't insult their heavenly father

Goes both ways you know.........
Re: What Should Be Done About The Nigerian Gay & Lesbian Problem? by ijawkid(m): 6:01pm On Nov 23, 2012
Logicboy03:

Hello gay advocate........

When you are done defending these barbaric acts,kindly train your kids in the same way ...................
Re: What Should Be Done About The Nigerian Gay & Lesbian Problem? by MrAnony1(m): 6:02pm On Nov 23, 2012
cyrexx:

what makes you think i've not understood WLC's argument?

when you want to avoid and dodge my points, you accuse me of what is not.

if you are too lazy and biased to read that rebuttal to WLC, you can watch this video that not only explains what OMV entails, but proves it wrong as basis for the argument of god's existence, i.e. if one is not trying to employ anonyism and dodging the obvious

here is the full debate between Sam Harris and W.L. Craig. somewhere in the video, Sam utterly destroy Craig's OMV arguments. i expect you to watch in entirety before you comment on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqaHXKLRKzg

Lol, nice of you to paste that video of the debate. I hope you actually watched the full debate. Now please be so nice as to refer me to any points in the video where Harris actually responds according to Dr Craig's argument.

Preferably, your reply should be in this form: At time xx:xx to xx:xx, Harris said "xx xxxxx xxxx xx" which was a logical rebuttal to the point made by Craig at time xx:xx to xx:xx.

Repeat this for as many times Harris actually engages the argument without throwing red herrings. Once you have done this, we can take it from there and hopefully we'll have an interesting conversation.

cyrexx:

and i'm sure some theists will acknowledge that Sam Harris won, with the way Craig is unable to defend the inconsistent moral codes of yahweh.
Please name them.
Re: What Should Be Done About The Nigerian Gay & Lesbian Problem? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Nov 23, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Lol, Interesting

Goes both ways you know.........

Well played Anony.....well played! cheesy

The heavenly father part is crap. Is god a man?
Re: What Should Be Done About The Nigerian Gay & Lesbian Problem? by MrAnony1(m): 6:04pm On Nov 23, 2012
Logicboy03:

Well played Anony.....well played! cheesy

The heavenly father part is crap. Is god a man?
Yawn....
Re: What Should Be Done About The Nigerian Gay & Lesbian Problem? by Nobody: 6:05pm On Nov 23, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Yawn....

But.....I praised you for your well played counter? embarassed
Re: What Should Be Done About The Nigerian Gay & Lesbian Problem? by MrAnony1(m): 6:14pm On Nov 23, 2012
Logicboy03:

But.....I praised you for your well played counter? embarassed
Lol, that's not why I was yawning..........I was yawning at the "is God a man" part.
Re: What Should Be Done About The Nigerian Gay & Lesbian Problem? by Nobody: 6:27pm On Nov 23, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Lol, that's not why I was yawning..........I was yawning at the "is God a man" part.

Okay wink
Re: What Should Be Done About The Nigerian Gay & Lesbian Problem? by Kay17: 8:44am On Nov 24, 2012
There isn't a gay problem, there is only a cultural debate on homosexuality. In conservative religious circles, it can be. But not to Nigeria as a whole. I find the idea of legislating cultural values distasteful. Whether pro or against.

I found out recently (like most young Nigerians with forgotten heritages), that same sex marriages are permissible in some Nigerian indigenous cultures. A court case on same sex marriage went public once. A barren wealthy unmarried woman married a younger woman, paid her dowries, went thru a ceremony and the regular celebration with her

She procured a man to impregnate her and then claimed all the children. But the status of the children came up in court, but the colonial court held that such a tradition (same sex marriage) was not familiar with colonial laws (imported English laws).

That's just one case that got up to Privy Council (equivalent of Supreme Court). Not to speak of the silent ones.

We are suffering from cultural assimilation from the West, Islam, Christianity. It is as bad as a Senate president claiming same sex union isn't part of our culture, he didn't seem aware of the cultural plurality of this country.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Meaning Of "No One Is Good Except God Alone" / Another Warning By Kingsley Ubani - Is This Revelation Real? / Why Is African Traditional Religion Seen As Demonic?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.