Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,760 members, 7,824,182 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:16 AM

Why Are Men So Passionately Crazy About Sports? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why Are Men So Passionately Crazy About Sports? (7885 Views)

Truth About Sports Betting / The Truth About Sports Betting / 5 Things BETCLIQ Can Teach About Sports BET (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Men So Passionately Crazy About Sports? by JeSoul(f): 3:08pm On Feb 04, 2008
I am one of those 1 in 1000 women who happens to love sports. I watch everything from baseball to golf to tennis to soccer.

But I still cannot understand why men take sports so personally and passionately!

For me it is just a game to be enjoyed in the moment and when it's done it's done. If they win I'm happy, if they lose I'm not sad because how much are they paying me to be crying for them? and gettin depressed when they lose? I am not getting a slice of their million-dollar paychecks so why should I be enslaved so that their success is mine? They don't even know and prob don't care if I exist so why I go dey kill myself for them?

When my boy is watching his serie A, I just leave him alone because he gets so crazy. When they win you should see the way he runs around the house. And even here on Nairaland see the sports section on the super eagles fowls, and how people are insulting their grandparents and cursing them for losing. Na wetin now? All the wildly dedicated arsenal and man u. fans, what drives you to be so passionately dedicated? And here in the NFL the patriots just lost the superbowl life goes on but you should see the way everyone is depressed like someone just died! It's just a game! What's really the big deal? isn't sports just another form of entertainment? like a movie? or a concert?

Why are men so crazy about sports? is it in your genes?
Re: Why Are Men So Passionately Crazy About Sports? by RuuDie(m): 1:12pm On Feb 06, 2008
so we won't be passionately krayzie about women. . . . . . . . . .
Re: Why Are Men So Passionately Crazy About Sports? by folahann(m): 1:21pm On Feb 06, 2008
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
I thinik it's a natural phenomenon but it's not all men that are so passionate about sport
Re: Why Are Men So Passionately Crazy About Sports? by JeSoul(f): 6:53pm On Feb 06, 2008
RuuDie:

so we won't be passionately krayzie about women. . . . . . . . . .

lol. . . so what is it sports does for you that a woman can't? eh?
Re: Why Are Men So Passionately Crazy About Sports? by JeSoul(f): 6:54pm On Feb 06, 2008
folahann:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
I thinik it's a natural phenomenon but it's not all men that are so passionate about sport

Natural phenomenon? how?
True it's not all men, maybe like 99.9% of them cool!
Re: Why Are Men So Passionately Crazy About Sports? by doyindamus: 7:13pm On Feb 06, 2008
I think it is a sign of the pathetic deprecation of manhood.

Voyeurism has been substituted for participation as the money motive has come to dominate the arena.

The Real men pick up the challenge and make millions while the wimps scurry off to their little seats in the gladiator's pit
or in their little crevices with the tube for company while they jealously admire the people they would and should be.

Man's fighting instinct has been passed on top proxies, the Mannings and Brady's of this world.

I abhor sports and never watch. I have sold my gladiatorial instincts but will not debase myself to reify other men.

And if you wonder how I have come about this drivel. . .I have been reading Nietzsche recently. grin grin grin tongue
Re: Why Are Men So Passionately Crazy About Sports? by Nobody: 9:43pm On Feb 06, 2008
doyindamus:

Voyeurism has been substituted for participation as the money motive has come to dominate the arena.

The Real men pick up the challenge and make millions while the wimps scurry off to their little seats in the gladiator's pit
or in their little crevices with the tube for company while they jealously admire the people they would and should be.

Man's fighting instinct has been passed on top proxies, the Mannings and Brady's of this world.

I abhor sports and never watch. I have sold my gladiatorial instincts but will not debase myself to reify other men.

And if you wonder how I have come about this drivel. . .I have been reading Nietzsche recently. grin grin grin tongue

PHILOSOPHICAL BULLSHIT!!
Re: Why Are Men So Passionately Crazy About Sports? by bastrin(f): 10:02pm On Feb 06, 2008
Hi,
Men like sports cos it help them to relax. And with women there is nothing like relaxing. In sports even if your team fail to win today, they will tomorrow. but Women instead of improving, it is the other way round.
Thank you.
Re: Why Are Men So Passionately Crazy About Sports? by Ndipe(m): 10:35pm On Feb 06, 2008
Why are some women so crazy about shopping?
Re: Why Are Men So Passionately Crazy About Sports? by davidif: 10:56pm On Feb 06, 2008
@adusol
Best comment ever, look at the guy coming to spew out nonsense to try and bamboozle us.
Re: Why Are Men So Passionately Crazy About Sports? by JeSoul(f): 11:09pm On Feb 06, 2008
Hi,
Men like sports because it help them to relax. And with women there is nothing like relaxing. In sports even if your team fail to win today, they will tomorrow. but Women instead of improving, it is the other way round.
Thank you.
Relax ke? men are anything but relaxed when they're watching sports! they're screaming at the tv, jumping all over the place etc. . .
and which one you dey sef? what do you mean "women instead of improving"? maybe they're not "improving" becos you're giving all your attention to the tv and manchester united instead of her!
Re: Why Are Men So Passionately Crazy About Sports? by JeSoul(f): 11:12pm On Feb 06, 2008
doyindamus:

uhm Doyin sweetie, you need to lay off the Nietzsche! cheesy
Re: Why Are Men So Passionately Crazy About Sports? by triistar86: 11:47pm On Feb 06, 2008
Doyin Doyin,  I dey feel u. but the truth be say man no understand your write up but anyhow sha nothing do u,   
Well as for me I love sports but I am not so passionate about it. I simply take it for leisure. Most guys are truely passionate about it and from research I think some guys jst want to feel among so dey decide to develop unwarranted passion. Which ever way its a choice for us to make. And we should clearly  know that we have control over our passion. As for the ladies just try and bear with us u guys also av your different passions too.
Re: Why Are Men So Passionately Crazy About Sports? by dejiman(m): 1:26am On Feb 07, 2008
hi,

Do you think its all men that love sport to the bone? undecided

Sport is just 3% in my life undecided and they are european seasonal sports eg (scake boarding,cyclin, swimming) wink etc.

But if sport will make you happy, Love it with your BODY SOUL & SPIRIT. wink
Re: Why Are Men So Passionately Crazy About Sports? by nazzyon(m): 3:27am On Feb 07, 2008
Relaxing?

You can say sport is another source for having fun without loss.

Don't you think the following will get out of hand:

Having sex all day.

Getting drunk always.

Eating

Going to Cinema

Chatting

and on.

Sports is not based on a single thing. It has lots of areas to explore unlike no 1 to the last.

Sports lifts the human spirit.
Re: Why Are Men So Passionately Crazy About Sports? by tkb417(m): 7:06am On Feb 07, 2008
tell me what can relieve of stress apart from sex. . .im waiting
Re: Why Are Men So Passionately Crazy About Sports? by odada(m): 8:18am On Feb 07, 2008
@poster
WHY ARE WOMEN SO ADDICTED TO MAKE-UP, FASHION AND SHOPPING
Re: Why Are Men So Passionately Crazy About Sports? by RuuDie(m): 8:18am On Feb 07, 2008
@JeSoul,
i'm sure u've neva been caught in the frenzy of hi-octane, hi-intensity, hot, musty, pulsating sporting moments b'4. . . . . . . . Else u'd understand. BTW, it takes 2 much time, money & energy wooing broads of 2day. . . . . . Way 2 much in my opinion-get overly passionate over 'em & u'd be staring all forms of bankruptcy in the face literally!

On the real, sports is like religion 4 we without religious inclinations. . . . . . . When the impossible occurs, its like a MIRACLE like there's some DIVINE POWER up there answering our every prayers! When u see a lance armstrong fight back from a near death situation 2 conquer his field, u feel INSPIRED, that there's HOPE no matter ur predicament! When u see asians, eastern europeans, latinos play the NBA; blacks & hispanics have a say in golf & tennis; in ur heart that nothing is impossible! When u the true stories of icons the messi's, schillaci's, schumi's, paolo rossi's, song's, kaka's, ayila's, martin's etc. Where/how they started out, u'd know what it means 2 BELIEVE, truely BELIEVE!
I could go on & on. . . . . . . But sport followership goes beyond just ogling after the actors & gladiators, there are always lessons 2 be learnt & 4 a TRUE, PASSIONATE FAN, thats the REAL MOTIVATION!
Re: Why Are Men So Passionately Crazy About Sports? by RuuDie(m): 9:02am On Feb 07, 2008
@doyin,
don't u think its equally very PATHETIC that u're SECRETLY ADMIRING this man when u COULD, WOULD & SHOULD be him
Re: Why Are Men So Passionately Crazy About Sports? by opokonwa(m): 9:22am On Feb 07, 2008
I think that there is a streak in men that is built for intense competition and that streak can mainly be observed in men's mad or devoted attachment to sports.

But I must confess to you that though sports is general, try and observe men's competition in other things like business, trying to woo a very pretty lady or in big time politics, you will now understand where I am coming from.

Most men cannot even explain why they are so attached to sports; it's just the way we are wired

[size=15pt]We are wired for intense competition[/size]

And sports provides an avenue to release that intense energy!
Re: Why Are Men So Passionately Crazy About Sports? by talk2sulta: 10:20am On Feb 07, 2008
firstly I would like to say that not all men are PASSIONATE about sports.you might like sports especially football but you might not be passionate about it.Like myself,I like football but I am not passionate about it to the extent of saying am for man u or arsenal and all those stuff.but even If I will support any team,i would rather support ENYIMBA just for patriotism sake and not because am passionate.

So I think the question should really be,"WHY DO MEN LIKE SPORTS?".the answer would now be that it comes naturally.football is one of the greatest inventions of men,it involves real time creativity and genius for you to be a great footballer.It is filled with suspense as you do not know what will happen next just like in a horror movie you are just watching for the first time.so I think the passion really comes from the suspense and uncertainty which the game brings with it.Have you see someone passionate or jittery when watching a televised football match which you already know the score?.so the passion originates from the spontaneity of the game and fron nothing else.

So madam,it is a wrong presumption to say men or rather most men are passionate about sports.
Re: Why Are Men So Passionately Crazy About Sports? by Nobody: 11:20am On Feb 07, 2008
Not all men are passionately crazy about SPORTS in general.For me I'm crazy about soccer, i can't say that for other sports.Why i'm crazy about it,i don't know, I guess it comes with the game,the thrill,the anxiety,the skills,the sheer brilliance, the list is just endless.Soccer is just something you can't ever get bored of watching.I'll definitely choose a Manchester United Vs Arsenal fixture over a date with the most beautiful girl in the world.

UNITED FOR LIFE!!
Re: Why Are Men So Passionately Crazy About Sports? by denony(m): 11:46am On Feb 07, 2008
Men love football because they love it, simple.

Why are girls so passionate about going out and shopping,
most passionate about make-ups.

I LOVE FOOTBALL BECAUSE I LOVE IT.
Re: Why Are Men So Passionately Crazy About Sports? by doyin13(m): 12:18pm On Feb 07, 2008
@all who have something against Nietzchean philosophy

wtf angry angry angry grin

seriously now

@topic

I can only speak for myself. And I have given up trying to figure out the 'monsters of the id' which possess me when I am watching sports.

And not to blow my own horns. I watch a great deal of sports not just football. Cricket, Rugby, F1, Cycling, Golf, Bowls shocked, NHL, Gymnastics etx.

And anytime I watch the sport, something inside me just wants one particular side to win or pertinently one side to lose.

The underdog often gets my sympathy though not always and sometimes the passion is fed by cutting a particular sports person or team down
to size. For a long time my passion against Man Utd was fed by that imperative.

I guess men are just innately childish. We constantly measure ourselves against others, and somehow we pass this on to proxies, a safe avenue
to release our kiddie perversities.
Re: Why Are Men So Passionately Crazy About Sports? by 4Play(m): 12:19pm On Feb 07, 2008
@doyin13 a.k.a Tu quo que

Bloody hypocrite. . . . see as you dey scatter grammar on a sports forum.
Re: Why Are Men So Passionately Crazy About Sports? by doyin13(m): 12:46pm On Feb 07, 2008
4 Play:

@doyin13 a.k.a Tu quo que

Bloody hypocrite. . . . see as you dey scatter grammar on a sports forum.

Hehehehehe. . .lol

Na you teach me na
Re: Why Are Men So Passionately Crazy About Sports? by nyabinghi(m): 1:30pm On Feb 07, 2008
I.M.H.O soccer cum sports has more advantages over women.
Soccer lasts longer than sex with a girl
Soccer costs less than taking women/babes out
Soccer fetches more money(betting wise) than being with babes/women
Soccer brings more friends than women/babes
Soccer isn't jealous while women are jealous

let me explain my points well:

Point 1. The minimum period for a game of soccer is 90 minutes and u don't get tired watching it, while sex doesn't last longer than 40 mins(pre-intimacy inclusive)

Point 2. The minimum amount spent on watching soccer at a game zone is 40 naira wile at a pub its 80 while the minimum amount in taking an average babe to joints/eateries is 350.

Point 3. You could make money from betting/staking at matches while u spend taking women out.

Point 4. You could make more plas from soccer than being with babes

Point 5. Soccer fans(rivals inclusive ) don't get jealous while in the mood of soccer but try greeting another babe or hugging her in the presence of your wife/babe and see the reaction.

All these is in my honest opinion. I stands for In M stands for My H stands for Honest O stands for Opinion
Re: Why Are Men So Passionately Crazy About Sports? by nyabinghi(m): 1:40pm On Feb 07, 2008
I.M.H.O soccer cum sports has more advantages over women.

Point 1. The minimum period for a game of soccer is 90 minutes and u don't get tired watching it, while sex doesn't last longer than 40 mins(pre-intimacy inclusive)

Point 2. The minimum amount spent on watching soccer at a game zone is 40 naira wile at a pub its 80 while the minimum amount in taking an average babe to joints/eateries is 350.

Point 3. You could make money from betting/staking at matches while u spend taking women out.

Point 4. You could make more plals from soccer than being with babes

Point 5. Soccer fans(rivals inclusive ) don't get jealous while in the mood of soccer but try greeting another babe or hugging her in the presence of your wife/babe and see the reaction.

All these is in my honest opinion. I stands for In M stands for My H stands for Honest O stands for Opinion
Re: Why Are Men So Passionately Crazy About Sports? by luridguy(m): 2:31pm On Feb 07, 2008
nyabinghi:

I.M.H.O soccer come sports has more advantages over women.

Point 4. You could make more plals from soccer than being with babes

agrees with point 1

nods head to point 2

does point 3

word to point 4

witness to point 5
grin wink smiley
Re: Why Are Men So Passionately Crazy About Sports? by seabiotics(m): 2:33pm On Feb 07, 2008

And if you wonder how I have come about this drivel. . .I have been reading Nietzsche recently.    

Doyin,

I followed "your train of thought" until I got to the last line and saw Nietzsche's name and muttered to myself "no wonder". I am also glad that you concluded that your write up was pure drivel. At least you were being honest.
Re: Why Are Men So Passionately Crazy About Sports? by topkin(m): 3:18pm On Feb 07, 2008
We love it espcially soccer! I guess some things catches ones fancy and you get stuck to it. Over time you discover its a good source of relaxation and makes your mood good most times, mood swings present dou, but largely it makes you feel good. Its like an anti-depressant with a good side effect,,,,,,,,,,,, so why not love it!!! wink
Re: Why Are Men So Passionately Crazy About Sports? by Naijatalk(m): 3:41pm On Feb 07, 2008
Men have been programmed to struggle and fight to survive from the getgo. As a result of this, we like to compete to show our superiority over another man. This is why we love sport so much.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Dolphins Vs Shooting Stars ( 1 - 0) On 21st March 2013 / Olympics Basketball: Nigeria Loses Third Straight Game, Beaten 87-96 By Spain / 99.99% safe games

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.