Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,416 members, 7,815,937 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:29 PM

Fct Minister Frustrates Malaysian Assisted Mega Housing Project In Abuja - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fct Minister Frustrates Malaysian Assisted Mega Housing Project In Abuja (983 Views)

Fashola On Inspection Tour Of Ministry Of Power, Works & Housing Project / Police Arrest FCT Minister’s Nephew, Three Others For Kidnapping / FCT Minister's Spokesman Shot In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Fct Minister Frustrates Malaysian Assisted Mega Housing Project In Abuja by Mbeki: 11:03am On Nov 14, 2012
HIGH COMMISSIONER OF MALAYSIA
4A,Plot 2232b, Rio Negro Close
Off Yedseram Street, Maitama
P.M.B. 5217, Wuse, Abuja
Telephone: 234-9-7800370
E-mail: malabuja@kin.gov.my Our Ref: SR(247)100/18-1 Vol 2

14 June 2012
H.E. Dr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan(GCFR)
President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria
State House, Abuja
Your Excellency,
MALYASIAN GARDEN MASS HOUSING PROJECT, SARAJI DISTRICT, ABUJA

As mentioned during the farewell call on you on 7 June 2012, my only regret during my tenure as High Commissioner in Abuja is regarding the Malaysian Garden project. Your Excellency has kindly requested me to write to you on the matter
The US$600 million mass housing project was in response to former olusegun Obasanjo's initiative to welcome Malaysian investors to Nigeria including real estate development. it is envisaged to provide 14,085 housing units including medium,and low income groups in Abuja. This would greatly address housing supply in the city and add value to the Federal Capital.
It is sad that the project is still uncolpleted after six(6) years despite the best efforts of the global Formwork Nigeria Ltd, the developer of the Malyasian Nigeria joint venture. The developer was taken to court by the then FCT Minister, Mr. Aliyu Modibbo Umar, having accounts frozen and being investigated by the EFCC and numerous bureaucratic obstacles. The building plan approval wa only given after 5 years [/b]during the time of former Minister Adamu Aliero. As of today, the engineering drawings namely for roads, sewage, electrical, storm, water etc, submitted since 2004 have yet to be approved. it is pending for [b]8 years now, Excellency

"4.Despite those challenges, none posed so much hardship to the developer than the present difficulties created by the current Minister, Senatir Bala Mohammed. The Minister on 21 February 2011, had threatened to take back the land (land originally given by past ministers for the Malaysian assisted mass housing project) unless the developer agrees to give as much as 400 hectares to him which is 80% of the total area of land of the project which will effectively kill the mass housing project. He also asked the Nigeria Igbo partner to be changed which the Malaysian side would not agree. The minister even hinted the possibility of using EFCC and the Police against the Developer if his demands are not met. All efforts to find amicable solution failed.Senator Bala Mohammed has refused to approve all the engineering drawings or even register the housing project. This puts the developers in a dilemma. The developer cannot proceed with the project at all. If the developer hands over 1800 units which are nearing completion, the buyers will not be able to occupy or sell the houses due to lack of certificate of Occupancy.
Excellency,
5. I really believe the Minister is not doing all those actions to protect Nigeria's interests, but he is driven more because od selfish interests. In this regard, I appeal to you sir, in the best interest od good brotherly bilateral relations between Malaysia and Nigeria to ask the Minister to urgently approve the engineering drawings and cease harrasing the developer si that the project can proceed.
I enclose a copy of Chief G.N Ebom's letter to you datd 13 June 2012 and my letter to Chief Olusegun Obasanjo dated 15 March 2011, detailing the problems faced by the developer in executing the project, for your information. You may also check with former Minister Prof. Dora Akunyili and Chief Emeka Anyaoku, who are aware of the role of Senator Bala Mohammed, in trying to scuttle the project which may deter other Malyasian ventures in Nigeria.
As I leave ABuja, I wish to put on record my desire to continue working as a friend of Nigeria. I am happy to assist Nigerian Ambassador in Romania to promote this great country which is like my second home to me.

Please accept , Excellency, the assusrances of my highest consideration.

DATO' NIK MUSTAFA KAMAL NIK AHMAD
High Commisioner

SOURCE: Daily Trust, Monday November 12,2012, Page 26.
Re: Fct Minister Frustrates Malaysian Assisted Mega Housing Project In Abuja by otokx(m): 11:16am On Nov 14, 2012
What is wrong with all this politicians?

(1) (Reply)

Igbomina’s In Kwara And Osun Demand A Separate State / El-rufai Cannot Be A Religious Bigot,he Worships In My Church – Tunde Bakare / Boko Haram: Northerners Still Ready To Fight For Nigeria’s Unity, Jerry Gana.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.