Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,753 members, 7,824,161 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:31 AM

Words You Found Difficult To Spell In Your Early School Days? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Words You Found Difficult To Spell In Your Early School Days? (12281 Views)

15 Words You Should Eliminate From Your Vocabulary To Sound Smarter / How Many Did This, Back In Secondary School Days? (pics) / Nigerian Words You Thought Were English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Words You Found Difficult To Spell In Your Early School Days? by Nobody: 6:10pm On Nov 17, 2012
Ramcie:

Was good with the above spellings cos my mum always made me say these famous lines " I comes before E except after C"
What about Their. E comes after I in this case
Re: Words You Found Difficult To Spell In Your Early School Days? by Nobody: 6:15pm On Nov 17, 2012
JOHN-BULL my son and Hippopotamus
Chai I suffer no be small from Mr Sapele water(my den headmaster)

But thank God now I'm a genius
Re: Words You Found Difficult To Spell In Your Early School Days? by Afam4eva(m): 6:28pm On Nov 17, 2012
abiL: Diarrhoea.

I find it hard to spell that word. Thank God for auto-correct on my phone.
How often will you need to spell Diarrhea. Do you have it? grin
Re: Words You Found Difficult To Spell In Your Early School Days? by Ramcie(f): 6:31pm On Nov 17, 2012
Johnwizzy:
What about Their. E comes after I in this case

It's not applicable in all cases. Those cases I mentioned earlier are the ones that people have difficulty in according to the article I read . Have forgotten the title of the article and also when and where i read it cos i do random reading if not, would have posted the link. Google spelling rules it's there.
Re: Words You Found Difficult To Spell In Your Early School Days? by nnemmpi(m): 6:33pm On Nov 17, 2012
thereby
Re: Words You Found Difficult To Spell In Your Early School Days? by zubixlen(m): 6:33pm On Nov 17, 2012
My problem was in spelling 'choir'
Re: Words You Found Difficult To Spell In Your Early School Days? by nagoma(m): 6:34pm On Nov 17, 2012
Una be fool:

I personally had problems with the spelling of "catahr" & "pneumonia" way back then in my primary school days and I remember sitting in the air for hours sweating profusely as a punishment for failing to spell them correctly.
?

You still have that problem my friend. Your spelling of " catarrh " is wrong . I am afraid we have punish you. Now get out , and it will be for a whole day this time. You are no longer in primary school.!!

1 Like

Re: Words You Found Difficult To Spell In Your Early School Days? by Engineer96(m): 6:35pm On Nov 17, 2012
Gnashing and wrath.
Re: Words You Found Difficult To Spell In Your Early School Days? by nagoma(m): 6:39pm On Nov 17, 2012
stupor: Cooking untensils
Secateurs-i'll rather say go to hell.

Apraratus.
Portmantu.
Caburretor
Enzyme-pytaylin-ptyalin.

And many Others but thanks to Auto cOrrect models nOw.

You are incorrigible !!!
Re: Words You Found Difficult To Spell In Your Early School Days? by Nobody: 6:41pm On Nov 17, 2012
Ramcie:

Was good with the above spellings cos my mum always made me say these famous lines " I comes before E except after C"

Thanks for that Insight Ramcie... Beauty with Brains! Shei!!!

2 Likes

Re: Words You Found Difficult To Spell In Your Early School Days? by Nobody: 6:42pm On Nov 17, 2012
Ramcie:

Thanks for that Insight, Ramcie... Beauty with Brains! Shei!!!

1 Like

Re: Words You Found Difficult To Spell In Your Early School Days? by Nobody: 6:44pm On Nov 17, 2012
freecocoa: Those words that have the same alphabets twice in them, eg committee, community and pneumonia gave me small problem before I got used to their spellings.
Have you gotten used to “Possession“, “Accommodation“?
Re: Words You Found Difficult To Spell In Your Early School Days? by Nobody: 6:51pm On Nov 17, 2012
Mine wasn't spelling per sé, as a child, I always used to believe that Blue should have been Green and vice versa... My reasons then were genuine... I dunno I refused calling Blue Green, I felt “English People“ made a mistake!!
Re: Words You Found Difficult To Spell In Your Early School Days? by FlyboyZee: 6:55pm On Nov 17, 2012
Rendezvous

pronounced: Rong-dee-vu
Always gets the class by the balls.
Re: Words You Found Difficult To Spell In Your Early School Days? by MhizLee(f): 7:00pm On Nov 17, 2012
Synedoche, gynaecology and lots more but now I have an award in spelling bee grin[color=#770077][/color]
Re: Words You Found Difficult To Spell In Your Early School Days? by Nobody: 7:07pm On Nov 17, 2012
[quote author=Ramcie]

Was good with the above spellings cos my mum always made me say these famous lines " I comes before E except after C"[/quote

I am not trying to... I am just passionate about English... What about “Seize?“ I sincerely would love to be learn a little more.
Re: Words You Found Difficult To Spell In Your Early School Days? by Ramcie(f): 7:16pm On Nov 17, 2012
[quote author=emusmith][/quote]

"i" comes before "e" when it is pronounced "ee", except when it follows "c" – or when sounding like "a" as in "neighbour, or weigh".
e.g. brief, field, priest.
receive, deceive, ceiling.
Exceptions: neither, foreign, sovereign, seized, counterfeit, forfeited, leisure.

Got that online,so I pasted it here for you. You can google spelling rules for more information.
Re: Words You Found Difficult To Spell In Your Early School Days? by koolguy88(m): 7:26pm On Nov 17, 2012
television, satellite, exercise
Re: Words You Found Difficult To Spell In Your Early School Days? by TrustJ(m): 7:35pm On Nov 17, 2012
Me 2 oh.bt dat ws then
dramenda: PHARMACEUTICAL = I SPELL IN PRONOUNCE IT AS,FAMASICUTICA.LOL
Re: Words You Found Difficult To Spell In Your Early School Days? by dsolo(m): 7:47pm On Nov 17, 2012
Una be fool: Even an English language first-class holder graduate could still periodically come across words that he probably has no single idea of what the first & last alphabets are until he uses a dictionary, an encyclopedia or the internet lol. It is inevitable no matter how intelligent you think you may be.

I personally had problems with the spelling of "catahr" & "pneumonia" way back then in my primary school days and I remember sitting in the air for hours sweating profusely as a punishment for failing to spell them correctly.

Did you have similar experience? What are the words?

Queue

Re: Words You Found Difficult To Spell In Your Early School Days? by sunkoye: 7:50pm On Nov 17, 2012
Highland and island. Hell of mixtures! I still chop cane sef grin
Re: Words You Found Difficult To Spell In Your Early School Days? by greatgod2012(f): 7:50pm On Nov 17, 2012
I had problem with "hygiene", i used to spell it as "higiene"

1 Like

Re: Words You Found Difficult To Spell In Your Early School Days? by Ericmillion(m): 8:01pm On Nov 17, 2012
The words choir and cushion waz a problem to me back then in sec skul.
Re: Words You Found Difficult To Spell In Your Early School Days? by fuckme: 8:06pm On Nov 17, 2012
I had issues with every word you guys mentioned above.
Re: Words You Found Difficult To Spell In Your Early School Days? by tiebe: 8:19pm On Nov 17, 2012
I only remember once in a spelling quiz when we were asked to spell fire! I knew it definitely was not 'faya' but i could not for the life of me figure out what it was!
Re: Words You Found Difficult To Spell In Your Early School Days? by Optimisticgondy(m): 8:20pm On Nov 17, 2012
Then, I spelled and pronounced vulcanizer as forganizer, gutter as cutter and postpone as prostpone

2 Likes

Re: Words You Found Difficult To Spell In Your Early School Days? by controlseven: 8:24pm On Nov 17, 2012
Mine was cli.toris. Always found it difficult labelling that part of the body!
Re: Words You Found Difficult To Spell In Your Early School Days? by PrinceJoe1(m): 8:53pm On Nov 17, 2012
I didn't know when to use " been" and "being".
Re: Words You Found Difficult To Spell In Your Early School Days? by aprilrays(f): 8:56pm On Nov 17, 2012
mine was 'Chaos'
Re: Words You Found Difficult To Spell In Your Early School Days? by mikron(m): 9:19pm On Nov 17, 2012
MICROPHONE
SHOKOLOKOBANGOSHE
ELEPHANT
QUEUE
Re: Words You Found Difficult To Spell In Your Early School Days? by specialguest(f): 9:20pm On Nov 17, 2012
Hippopotimus undecided abeg someone should tell me if i got it right this time
Re: Words You Found Difficult To Spell In Your Early School Days? by abiL(f): 9:21pm On Nov 17, 2012
specialguest: Hippopotimus undecided abeg someone should tell me if i got it right this time

Hippopotamus

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

JAMB: Exam Body Remits N7.8b To FG / Strike: ASUU Accuses FG Of Deceit As Minister Explains Payment Delay / Oil Tycoon, Jim Okolo Bags Honorary Doctorate Degree From European-american Uni

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.