Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,613 members, 7,809,245 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:38 AM

Nigerian Words You Thought Were English - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Words You Thought Were English (96819 Views)

15 Words You Should Eliminate From Your Vocabulary To Sound Smarter / 13 Science “facts” You Thought Were True, But Are Actually Wrong! / 17 Awesome Words You May Not Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by adonbilivit: 11:09am On Oct 12, 2014
these are words the average Nigerian uses when speaking english on daily basis. i bet most of us think they are really english words while some know they are not but still use them because they have been sort of accepted as correct. they are no longer considered blunders in grammar by Nigerians but if you dare use them during interviews and other corporate activities you are on your own (oyo). here they are:

1. sef: we often use this word in place of "anyway". i hear people say things like "what is it sef"?

2. eiya or heiya: this is used when u feel sorry for someone. for example, if a friend tells you armed rubbers attacked him your response will most likely be "eiya, hope they didn't injure you sha"?

3. sha: as you can see i used it in point 2 above. Nigerians use it in place of the word "though". here is an example; "I am tired but i will still work sha"...i am very much guilty of this point right here. when i use the word "though" most people don't seem to understand me.

4. na: hmmm, i don't even know the english word that can be substituted with this. we tend to use it when we are trying to make something clear to people. here is how we use it:

john: which of them bro?

james: the black one na

5. joor: this one seems to lack a substitute too. it usually portrays some kind of aggression and anger when used. when for instance, a guy is pestering a girl she might say something like "leave me alone joor".

6. shey: this one is used instead of "right". it is often applied when asking question. e.g "you saw Aminu yesterday, shey? notice that it took the place of "right" in the sentence.

174 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by adonbilivit: 11:13am On Oct 12, 2014
you can add yours...and please don't say "adonbilivit" cos its not an English word either...hehe

ebdib:

WHOEVER THINKS THESE WORDS ARE LEGIT ENGLISH WORDS AND NOT MERE NIGERIAN LINGUISTIC COLLOQUIALISM DIDNT GET AN EDUCATION
yeah, they(we) are getting educated/enlightened about it on here. we also learn outside d class room u know.........

this is for those saying this post is belittling ..KOBALISE actually sounds English. here is a testimony

STENON:
It is a must for me to comment on this topic. When I was in SS1, we were asked to write an essay and Been a Yoruba Girl and I always Hear the word "Akoba" or in shortened form as "Koba" i.e. to Implicate someone.....so In the course of writting my essay assignment, after writting a Few Lines, I just wrote it there that....

and this can "Kobalise" them.
Instead of writting, .....And This can Implicate them....

I was Really Disgraced in the class on that day by my English Teacher....It was an Unforgetable Experience for me

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by barackohandso(m): 11:29am On Oct 12, 2014
What about 'kukuma' ?

173 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by nuelzy: 11:36am On Oct 12, 2014
werrin dis one dey yarn??

9 Likes

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by timawoku(m): 11:52am On Oct 12, 2014
I done 'waka' come, 'oya' na...

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Nobody: 12:03pm On Oct 12, 2014
This people go just dey disturb person even on monday. Mtchewwww

"KNOCK KNOCK!"

ME: Who's there?

"Jehovah's Witness."

ME: Nobody dey house. angry

"But you just ans...."

ME: I SAY NOBODY DEY HOUSE!!angry This na their dog, Bingo!!!

grin

414 Likes 56 Shares

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by fr3do(m): 12:25pm On Oct 12, 2014
barackohandso:
What about 'kukuma' ?

the op shud kukuma add it to the list.

kaya09:
If this useless thread make Fp i go smoke one full bowl of weed today

Oya
[img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSEYE13Fp-w5RrCdolZUkNaArGTAmD_WjL3EyeAy6doMErGtG0G[/img]

98 Likes

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Richie0974: 12:31pm On Oct 12, 2014
Who doesn't know those words ain't English angry

216 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by 30secs(m): 12:32pm On Oct 12, 2014
This post has potential sha
Make I kukuma register my name incase....

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by adesammy1(m): 12:45pm On Oct 12, 2014
30secs:
This post has potential sha
Make I kukuma register my name incase....

Make I join you toh...

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by codedmax(m): 12:58pm On Oct 12, 2014
Hmm FP dey smell here??
make i kukuma *book space*
gringringrin

Update: Dem say d tin when elder sit dwn 4 ground see, pikin when climb electrick pole no see,
i been talk m say fp dey smell here my land money nor waste (Space for sale) gringrin

*runz out side unclad starts dancin shoki* cheesy

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Kennethco(m): 1:03pm On Oct 12, 2014
I can smell front page from afar
are u sure ur nose gbadun sha??

11 Likes

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Kennethco(m): 1:05pm On Oct 12, 2014
Mke i land here in case....Gbam!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by tomiobj(m): 1:22pm On Oct 12, 2014
Lol. Nice post...can I copy and paste somewhere else
adonbilivit:
these are words the average Nigerian uses when speaking english on daily basis. i bet most of us think they are really english words while some know they are not but still use them because they have been sort of accepted as correct. they are no longer considered blunders in grammar by Nigerians but if you dare use them during interviews and other corporate activities you are on your own (oyo). here they are:

1. sef: we often use this word in place of "anyway". i hear people say things like "what is it sef"?

2.eiya or heiya: this is used when u feel sorry for someone. for example, if a friend tells you armed rubbers attacked him your response will most likely be "eiya, hope they didn't injure you sha"?

3. sha: as you can see i used it in point 2 above. Nigerians use it in place of the word "though". here is an example; "I am tired but i will still work sha"...i am very much guilty of this point right here. when i use the word "though" most people don't seem to understand me.

4.na: hmmm, i don't even know the english word that can be substituted with this. we tend to use it when we are trying to make something clear to people. here is how we use it:

john: which of them bro?

james: the black one na

5. joor: this one seems to lack a substitute too. it usually portrays some kind of aggression and anger when used. when for instance, a guy is pestering a girl she might say something like "leave me alone joor".

6. shey: this one is used instead of right. it is often applied when asking question. e.g "you saw Aminu yesterday, shey? notice that it took the place of right in the sentence.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by kellyJames5(m): 1:23pm On Oct 12, 2014
Eleyi gidi gan!
Please don't ask me the meaning because I don't know ni

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Nobody: 1:24pm On Oct 12, 2014
If this useless thread make Fp i go smoke one full bowl of weed today

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Babysho(m): 1:25pm On Oct 12, 2014
o.p......KANI thunder fire u where yu stand for diz uselss topic

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by adonbilivit: 1:28pm On Oct 12, 2014
tomiobj:
Lol. Nice post...can I copy and paste somewhere else
u'd better acknowledge me before i'd come for you legally. copy jooor. but make sure you mention the source...nairaland/adonbilivit. hehe

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Yinkatolu: 1:42pm On Oct 12, 2014
..words like before nko

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by tomiobj(m): 1:42pm On Oct 12, 2014
adonbilivit:
u'd better acknowledge me before i'd come for you legally. copy jooor. but make sure you mention the source...nairaland/adonbilivit. hehe
lol. M waitn 4 u to cum for me legally. First find where I am gointo put it

*UPDATE*. Tnx to bossville for enlightening me. I cnt cum for u ooo cheesy *no homo intended
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by telim: 1:59pm On Oct 12, 2014
I enjoy your Tori, Make I just enter hEre before the mod move am go fp.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by benkings(m): 2:10pm On Oct 12, 2014
What of
Ehen?
Shuuuu?
Omo?

14 Likes

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Mayor21(m): 2:15pm On Oct 12, 2014
Mahsef
Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Princecalm(m): 2:35pm On Oct 12, 2014
They are so many of them we Nigerians cannot get rid off.Except you were not breed up in Nigeria.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Isiterere(m): 2:35pm On Oct 12, 2014
it's only the not so intelligent that will think this words are English word .....

ALL IZZ WELL

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by goldfish80(m): 2:35pm On Oct 12, 2014
Nna meeeen cheesy

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Isiterere(m): 2:37pm On Oct 12, 2014
kellyJames5:
Eleyi gidi gan!
Please don't ask me the meaning because I don't know ni

This is one is too serious ......

ALL IZZ WELL

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by adonbilivit: 2:57pm On Oct 12, 2014
Isiterere:
it's only the not so intelligent that will think this words are English word .....

ALL IZZ WELL
your opinion. but dont you think this is not enough reason to say one is not intelligent? An "intelligent" dude like you might assume the word "akin" is not an english word on seeing it first. i hope i ve made a point. never condescend on peope...no one knows it all.

38 Likes

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Jennydoris(f): 3:07pm On Oct 12, 2014
Adonbilivit that all these are English words... Hmmmm, NAWAOO!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Tenim47(m): 3:09pm On Oct 12, 2014
Taar" no b me go coment

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by Isiterere(m): 3:28pm On Oct 12, 2014
adonbilivit:
your opinion. but dont you think this is not enough reason to say one is not intelligent. An "intelligent" dude like you might assume the word "akin" is not an english word on seeing it first. i hope i ve made a point. never condescend on peope...no one knows it all.
those words are not in anyway confusing to be thinking they are English.
Op should have done a good work by searching for better words.
My opinion though ......
Btw,adonbilivit that you think those words are English grin

ALL IZZ WELL

10 Likes

Re: Nigerian Words You Thought Were English by GovWahala: 3:32pm On Oct 12, 2014
adonbilivit:

5. joor: this one seems to lack a substitute too. it usually portrays some kind of aggression and anger when used. when for instance, a guy is pestering a girl she might say something like "leave me alone joor"..

Joor is a yoruba word meaning please, u are saying "leave me alone please"

18 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Preparing for GRE / Top 10 Cheapest Universities In Nigeria. / Ekiti State Student Dies In Boyfriend's Hostel In Osun Poly (Graphic Pix, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.