Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,904 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:55 PM

BPP Certifies Manitoba Contract - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / BPP Certifies Manitoba Contract (5388 Views)

FG Hands Over TCN To MANITOBA / President Still Reviewing Manitoba TCN Contract / Power Privatisation: President Cancels Manitoba Contract 14 Nov 2012 Font Size: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

BPP Certifies Manitoba Contract by Nobody: 7:42pm On Nov 20, 2012

The Bureau of Public Procurement BPP has in the last hour issued a certificate of no objection for the twenty three million dollars contract awarded to Manitoba Hydro to manage the transmission company for the next three years BusinessDay can exclusively report.

The certificate was issued by the BPP director general Emeka Eze following directives by president Goodluck Jonathan.

The boss of BPP had mounted a last ditch effort to undermine the contract by seeking to review it's scope and also reduce the value by $470,000 per annul but that failed.

The certification is bound to calm nerves in the investor community which became frayed after word leaked that the president had cancelled the TCN contract.

Source
Re: BPP Certifies Manitoba Contract by Nobody: 8:00pm On Nov 20, 2012
The voices of reason prevail - small win!
Re: BPP Certifies Manitoba Contract by Gbawe: 8:14pm On Nov 20, 2012
eGuerrilla: The voices of reason prevail - small win!

Indeed. All those who went to town with the "due process" charade can now see that they were led down the garden path. Once Canada, World bank et al made it crystal clear to Nigeria that there will be serious repercussions to dishonorable conduct, the "due process" ruse quickly disappeared.

Sad Nigeria is run in this adhoc manner where our leaders shamelessly embrace open 419 tactics only for treats of sanction to be the only thing that makes them revise their crude and totally unethical behavior. Where is the silly "due process" argument now? Silly bunch of disgraceful 419ners.

4 Likes

Re: BPP Certifies Manitoba Contract by ANALIST: 8:14pm On Nov 20, 2012
Clear the air more.
Re: BPP Certifies Manitoba Contract by omosexy1: 8:40pm On Nov 20, 2012
We thank God. I think the Presidential Chat was cool. Because in just 2 days all I read in papers are good news. Jonathan should be doing this (chat) more often and hear what Nigeria wants. I strongly believe he would be a good President and set the pace for great development in the country.

7 Likes

Re: BPP Certifies Manitoba Contract by wesley80(m): 9:17pm On Nov 20, 2012
Gbawe:

Indeed. All those who went to town with the "due process" charade can now see that they were led down the garden path. Once Canada, World bank et al made it crystal clear to Nigeria that there will be serious repercussions to dishonorable conduct, the "due process" ruse quickly disappeared.

Sad Nigeria is run in this adhoc manner where our leaders shamelessly embrace open 419 tactics only for treats of sanction to be the only thing that makes them revise their crude and totally unethical behavior. Where is the silly "due process" argument now? Silly bunch of disgraceful 419ners.
The entire reactions to the supposed cancellation were envisaged and your so called "repercussion to dishonourable conduct" is no more than a creation of your schizophrenic mind. What you call a charade to the discerning is a clear demonstration of this govts unwillingness to suspend any aspect of laid down procedure regardless of the individuals or companies involved and this singular act would be remembered by every single company that puts up a bid in future. What honest citizens ought to be doing at this time is hailing the thoroughness demonstrated by this govt and her willingness to reverse perceived erroneous stance and correct identified mistakes. What I find disgraceful are the attitudes of folks like you that prance about like excited frogs in celebration of retrogression but frown when progress is made. Such a Shame!

10 Likes

Re: BPP Certifies Manitoba Contract by Mowire: 9:28pm On Nov 20, 2012
@Wesley, so what aspect of "due-process" was flouted & in what way was it remedied?
Re: BPP Certifies Manitoba Contract by wesley80(m): 9:42pm On Nov 20, 2012
Mowire: @Wesley, so what aspect of "due-process" was flouted & in what way was it remedied?
Please read up the initial reason given by the BPP for petitioning against the awarded contract and GEJ's response to the issue during the media chat.
Re: BPP Certifies Manitoba Contract by wesley80(m): 9:54pm On Nov 20, 2012
@Mowire, let me help you out this once.
But presidency sources said the president based his decision to cancel the contract on a memo sent by the Bureau of Public Procurement (BPP), which for several weeks, had been pushing for its cancellation on the premise that did it not pass through due process as provided under the Public Procurement Act. The Director General of the BPP, Emeka Eze, THISDAY learnt, was said to have kicked against the appointment of Manitoba because a few material irregularities had been noticed in the process that led to the company's selection. “It is better to correct these irregularities now to save the future of the management contract, than to have one that could run into hitches. Moreover, a stitch in time, saves nine,” said one official with the presidency. He said Eze, in his memo, had informed the president that a management contract was distinct from a privatisation transaction or concession, and since the procurement of all Federal Government contracts, including those covering professional services are covered by the Public Procurement Act, the BPP should not have superintended the selection process. The source said the BPP DG picked holes in the contract, querying why the designated managing director was 57 years old, which he felt was too old, insisting that the contract be cancelled because the BPE had misled the NCP by procuring the management contractor. Eze was also said to have insisted that if the BPP had overseen the procurement of the contractor, it is the Federal Executive Council (FEC) that should have approved the selection of Manitoba based on the BPP’s recommendation. Eze’s position, THISDAY learnt, was backed by the Minister of Justice and Attorney General of the Federation, Mohammed Adoke (SAN), who declared the contract null and void when his opinion was sought.

The reasons for cancellation may sound frivolous, but ultimately were material hence the brouhaha. What happened was more or less a re-vetting and legitimizing an initially flawed process especially the material aspects.
Re: BPP Certifies Manitoba Contract by Nobody: 10:01pm On Nov 20, 2012
Here is a different perspective on some of the machinations that unfolded behind the scenes @Wesley80

Pressure from the international community, especially the Canadian government, as well as from preferred bidders for the electricity generation companies forced the presidency to reverse itself on the cancellation of the $23 million transmission management contract awarded to Canadian firm Manitoba Hydro International, LEADERSHIP findings have revealed.

It was learnt that the Canadian ambassador to Nigeria had discussions with the minister of finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Vice President Namadi Sambo as well as President Goodluck Jonathan at separate meetings where he was said to have expressed his country’s displeasure over the development.

Although details of the meetings could not be obtained, sources within the presidency told LEADERSHIP that the Canadian ambassador told President Jonathan that the Canadian government was unhappy with the issue and may be reluctant in supporting Nigeria in other sectors due to the way Manitoba has been treated.

It was also gathered that Atedo Peterside, who is the chairman, Technical Committee on Privatisation, and member of the National Council on Privatisation (NCP), similarly advised the president against the decision.

According to the source, Peterside expressed concern that if Manitoba’s contract was cancelled, it meant all efforts that had so far been put into the privatisation process would have been in vain.

It was further learnt that the preferred bidders for the generation companies who didn’t want the privatisation process to be jeopardised also worked from the background to mount pressure on the presidency.

‘’Winners of the distribution companies would be kept on tarry-a-while if we allowed them to cancel Manitoba’s contract. Because when will they do another procurement for transmission management? People will advise you not to even put your money down because you do not know who will manage the transmission,’’ a source told LEADERSHIP. ‘’We told them that we will not go ahead with making bid payments if they cancel Manitoba’s contract because we do not know who will transmit the power we will generate. “

Lamenting the whole drama over Manitoba’s contract cancellation and reinstatement, the presidential source who did not want to be named because of the nature of the matter alleged that the presidency acted based on hearsay.

He explained that Manitoba was shortlisted in 2007 and given the contract in 2012 but people are now saying the process was manoeuvred just to run down the director-general, Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE), Bola Onagoruwa, thinking she was the one who arranged for Manitoba to emerge winner, whereas she inherited the process.

‘’When in 2006 the contract management of the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) was advertised, nobody took it seriously. Nigerians were mocking us, saying the privatisation would not work.

The source told LEADERSHIP that some powerful Nigerians are behind the Power-grid Corporation of India and are trying to frustrate the whole process. ‘’They are the ones behind the whole conspiracy,’’ he said.

Just making sure we have all the ducks aligned in a row, lest other presidential sources are left out of the equation cheesy

Read More
Re: BPP Certifies Manitoba Contract by adino(m): 10:02pm On Nov 20, 2012
O-Gbawe the resident hypocrite. The red eyed old man rushes to this thread to save his foolery after his paid argument has been torn to nonsensical by this brave FG action.

2 Likes

Re: BPP Certifies Manitoba Contract by Mowire: 10:03pm On Nov 20, 2012
Would be nice if can quote relevant aspect of the said report here (@least for info) & what new manitoba did to get certified now.
As for president's response: I did not watch it.
So pls educate me. Seriously.
Re: BPP Certifies Manitoba Contract by Nobody: 10:07pm On Nov 20, 2012
Mowire: Would be nice if can quote relevant aspect of the said report here (@least for info) & what new manitoba did to get certified now.
As for president's response: I did not watch it.
So pls educate me. Seriously.

@Mowire, I won't hold my breath if I were you grin
Re: BPP Certifies Manitoba Contract by Mowire: 10:08pm On Nov 20, 2012
OK so you already answered b4 I asked. Let me read ur answer.
Re: BPP Certifies Manitoba Contract by olivertwist: 10:10pm On Nov 20, 2012
grin grin grin Comedy unlimited cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: BPP Certifies Manitoba Contract by Mowire: 10:11pm On Nov 20, 2012
eGuerrilla:

@Mowire, I won't hold my breath if I were you grin

I'd do no such thing! I'd sift info.
Re: BPP Certifies Manitoba Contract by wesley80(m): 10:13pm On Nov 20, 2012
Mowire: OK so you already answered b4 I asked. Let me read ur answer.
I was about to ask if I looked like an extension of your head!
Re: BPP Certifies Manitoba Contract by Mowire: 10:22pm On Nov 20, 2012
OK @wesley thanks for the help. Now I know the MASSIVE "MATERIAL" IRREGULARITIES.
How 'bout how the irregularities have been corrected?

1 Like

Re: BPP Certifies Manitoba Contract by Gbawe: 10:27pm On Nov 20, 2012
olivertwist: grin grin grin Comedy unlimited cheesy cheesy cheesy

Absolutely. Not even a point worth discussing if we are, to begin with, a Nation of politically sophisticated folks. When did Manitoba correct the supposed "due process" they allegedly breached to now enjoy this renewed confidence from the Nigerian FG ? Are we not ashamed as a Nation?

Sensible folks can only come to one conclusion. After all the fake "due process" gra gra, the 419 Nigerian government has now embraced this unconditional climb down, with Manitoba on an even stronger footing, because many rose in unison to call the bluff of those entrusted with much power yet insist on acting like common, myopic and pettily greedy fraudsters.

Nigeria currently has its citizens bastardized beyond normality. Many Nigerians no longer even know when to be honest, embarrassed or even truthful any more. Such is the extent to which our mentality is now warped.

2 Likes

Re: BPP Certifies Manitoba Contract by wesley80(m): 10:29pm On Nov 20, 2012
Mowire: OK @wesley thanks for the help. Now I know the MASSIVE "MATERIAL" IRREGULARITIES.
How 'bout how the irregularities have been corrected?

It doesnt have to be massive so long as its material. Materiality of an error regardless of how frivolous it sound is enough to jeopardize an entire process. In this case it might have been a simple approval from the FEC - a flaw that could have been capitalised on by the rival bidders at some point.
Re: BPP Certifies Manitoba Contract by wesley80(m): 10:33pm On Nov 20, 2012
Gbawe:

Absolutely. Not even a point worth discussing if we are, to begin with, a Nation of politically sophisticated folks. When did Manitoba correct the supposed "due process" they allegedly breached to now enjoy this renewed confidence from the Nigerian FG ? Are we not ashamed as a Nation?

Sensible folks can only come to one conclusion. After all the fake "due process" gra gra, the 419 Nigerian government has now embraced this unconditional climb down, with Manitoba on an even stronger footing, because many rose in unison to call the bluff of those entrusted with much power yet insist on acting like common, myopic and pettily greedy fraudsters.

Nigeria currently has its citizens bastardized beyond normality. Many Nigerians no longer even know when to be honest, embarrassed or even truthful any more. Such is the extent to which our mentality is now warped.

Its a terminal contract you slowpoke!, it would be up in less than 3years and guess who'd still be in power then?
Re: BPP Certifies Manitoba Contract by Nobody: 10:55pm On Nov 20, 2012
@Gbawe

You red-eyed old man, must you always dance naked in the market place of opinions. The Government is working hard to correct observed anomalies to enable us have 247 electricity, and you are here searching for loopholes in every statements. You are a disgrace to common sense.
Re: BPP Certifies Manitoba Contract by seanet01: 11:05pm On Nov 20, 2012
wesley80:

Its a terminal contract you slowpoke!, it would be up in less than 3years and guess who'd still be in power then?
Are you not ashamed? The same BPE that was pushing for the cancellation of the contract due to some irregularities is now forced by the Presidency to issue Certification to the same company the President accepted did not follow due process just because some foreign countries pressurized our President.
1. BPE declared that due process was not followed.
2. Mr. President accepted BPE's assertion and order his Media Assistant to issue a Press Release announcing the Cancellation of the Contract,
3. Mr. President said it live within the last 48 hours that the contract did not follow due process. Media chat.
4. Canada pressurized our President not to cancel the Contract.
5. Our President issues a directive to BPE to re-certify the company he has declared as having won a contract through the back door just within 48 hours after scolding them on National Television.
Fact is Our President is clueless. Simple.

1 Like

Re: BPP Certifies Manitoba Contract by Gbawe: 11:13pm On Nov 20, 2012
seanet01: Are you not ashamed? The same BPE that was pushing for the cancellation of the contract due to some irregularities is now forced by the Presidency to issue Certification to the same company the President accepted did not follow due process just because some foreign countries pressurized our President.
2. Mr. President accepted BPE's assertion and order his Media Assistant to issue a Press Release announcing the Cancellation of the Contract,
3. Mr. President said it live within the last 48 hours that the contract did not follow due process. Media chat.
5. Our President issues a directive to BPE to re-certify the company he has declared as having won a contract through the back door just within 48 hours after scolding them on National Television.

Correct talk. You must however excuse the obsessed Nairaland cretins , full of unrequited frustration, by remembering the saying "Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people." - Eleanor Roosevelt. The clowns can stalk my every utterance here but GEJ goes from inept conduct to even greater acts of cluelessness. No surprise when he is mediocrity personified his entire political life.
Re: BPP Certifies Manitoba Contract by mosunade(f): 11:14pm On Nov 20, 2012
The red eyed Gbawe looses face once again. Looses his stipends as well.

LOL. Watch him in two days time scrounging the internet for something else to cry about. Searching for loopholes in anything GEJ, accusing him of corruption and speaks too many words to make a single point.
Re: BPP Certifies Manitoba Contract by Nobody: 11:19pm On Nov 20, 2012
mosun_ade: The red eyed Gbawe looses face once again. Looses his stipends as well.

LOL. Watch him in two days time scrounging the internet for something else to cry about. Searching for loopholes in anything GEJ, accusing him of corruption and speaks too many words to make a single point.
My dear, I dont know if Gbawe sleeps on bare floor every-night, his utterances are those of political millipedes. Who ever hired him thought a standard six certificate holder can still function in 21st century.
Re: BPP Certifies Manitoba Contract by Gbawe: 11:21pm On Nov 20, 2012
mosun_ade: The red eyed Gbawe looses face once again. Looses his stipends as well.

Please go back to school and learn to spell. If you invest some time trying to improve yourself, instead of coming here to square up blindly with multiple ID's, you would not be reduced to being a coward, scared of other men, to the extent you have to come here pretending to be female. You are terrified of using your main ID that is not really hard to discern considering how you are not bright enough to see you leave 'signatures' like the cowardly antics of insulting others and asking them not to respond in kind because "it goes back to them". I wonder the cowardly male poster very famous for repeating that gutless antic here time and time again along with terrible spelling skills What a clown. I won't mention your main user ID. I will just let you you know I know who you are W. Ode oshi. 'Female' indeed. You are not even ashamed.
Re: BPP Certifies Manitoba Contract by taharqa: 11:24pm On Nov 20, 2012
seanet01: Are you not ashamed? The same BPE that was pushing for the cancellation of the contract due to some irregularities is now forced by the Presidency to issue Certification to the same company the President accepted did not follow due process just because some foreign countries pressurized our President.

Just SHUT your mouth if you do not know what the hell you are talking about. Quite commenting on things way over your head aka Privatizaion/Power Reform program.

#honestAdvice
Re: BPP Certifies Manitoba Contract by oshyno(m): 11:29pm On Nov 20, 2012

And u think the anomaly cud not be corrected withing 2days ? Jeeeezz What formed ur opinion dat it was out of international pressure.ur just like all these speculative journalist with their " an inside source said ".
Re: BPP Certifies Manitoba Contract by seanet01: 11:31pm On Nov 20, 2012
taharqa:

Just SHUT your mouth if you do not know what the hell you are talking about. Quite commenting on things way over your head aka Privatizaion/Power Reform program.

#honestAdvice
Instead of you to counter my claims, you decided to go vulgar. You are a village monkey.
Re: BPP Certifies Manitoba Contract by seanet01: 11:33pm On Nov 20, 2012
oshyno:

And u think the anomaly cud not be corrected withing 2days ? Jeeeezz What formed ur opinion dat it was out of international pressure.ur just like all these speculative journalist with their " an inside source said ".
I bet you have comprehension problems. Read, comprehend and digest olodo
Re: BPP Certifies Manitoba Contract by wesley80(m): 11:34pm On Nov 20, 2012
Simple truth is ; Intelligence is far beyond your reach sorry, every time you write beyond a sentence you exhude a shocking level of ignorance that's just plain sad. When will you finally understand their are heights physical height cant get you to reach? Take my advice, stick to your ethnic/tribal bashing specialty - intelligence is beyond you. Prove me wrong by answering this simple questions:
a) What does the world 'salvage' as in to 'salvage a contract mean'?
b) Giving bureaucratic bottlenecks govts everywhere are known for would you rather terminate a salvageable contract or save months by salvaging it within the limits of the law?
c) What's your understanding of the term 'due process'?

Please remember not to write beyond a sentence for each quest. in the interest of sanity. I score you when I wake up in the morn.
Now be a good kid and go get your pencil!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Is Percentage Of Crude Oil Production In SE..?? / House Of Reps Member Arrives Chamber Wearing An “irregular” Face Mask (Photo) / Reno Omokri: In Big Surprise, Peter Obi Surges Ahead Strongly In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.