Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,146 members, 7,818,436 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:49 PM

FG Hands Over TCN To MANITOBA - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Hands Over TCN To MANITOBA (11042 Views)

New Peak Power Generation Record Of 4883.9MW - TCN / FG Hands Over NITEL To NATCOM Consortium / FG Hands Over PHCN Power Cops To Private Bidders In 2 Weeks- Anyim (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Hands Over TCN To MANITOBA by awodman: 5:20am On Mar 12, 2013
The Federal Government did what has been considered extremely necessary in its ongoing power reform programme when it last week granted Canadian firm, Manitoba Hydro International (MHI) absolute control of the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN).

THISDAY gathered Monday in Abuja from sources at the National Council on Privatisation (NCP) that the Minister of Power, Prof. Chinedu Nebo, has finally signed off the controversial “schedule of delegated authority” for MHI to immediately commence operations at TCN.

Nebo accordingly signed and handed MHI the “schedule of delegated authority” last Friday in Abuja.

The “schedule of delegated authority” grants Manitoba authority over operations of TCN in relations to Market Operations, System Operations, Transmission Service Provider, National Control Centre and Information Technology.

THISDAY also gathered that the newly constituted board for TCN will be inaugurated by Nebo Tuesday in Abuja, perhaps, bringing to a close what has been considered an eventful path to Manitoba’s assumption of duties at TCN.

Government has retained ownership of TCN which is part of successor companies created off the defunct Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) in the ongoing power sector liberalisation exercise.

It contracted Manitoba in July 2012 to manage operations of TCN at a contract sum of $23.7 million for three years; the contract which passed through a competitive bidding process entails Manitoba repositioning TCN to effectively discharge its responsibilities in the evolving Nigerian Electricity Supply Industry (NESI).

However, the contract was subjected to various degrees of controversies leading to its purported cancellation and subsequent revalidation late 2012 by President Goodluck Jonathan whose actions were largely informed by an advice from the Bureau of Public Procurement (BPP).

The BPP had charged the Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE) of mis-procuring the management contract; an accusation the BPE vehemently denied citing extant laws that support its processes and actions.

Apart from the BPP/BPE disagreement, the management contract was also subjected to some forms of manipulations following alleged attempts by officials of the ministry of power to take-off certain aspects of it from Manitoba.

It was largely understood that the ministry had attempted to reserve the market operations duties from the contract; this among others were partly responsible for the delay in signing off the “schedule of delegated authority” for Manitoba as the ministry allegedly tried to amend the contract. The market operations department is technically responsible for financial settlements in the value-chain.

Nebo who confirmed the recent development to THISDAY said the contract was delivered to Manitoba intact.

He noted that no aspect of it was taken off and that a board for the TCN will be inaugurated immediately to complement the job of Manitoba at TCN.

“Yes, we have handed over the complete running of TCN to Manitoba; I have signed and handed over the “schedule of delegated authority” to Manitoba but again, we are also going to inaugurate the board of TCN tomorrow (Tuesday) to compliment the work of Manitoba,” Nebo said over the telephone.

Also, a phone call to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Manitoba, Mr. Don Priestman to confirm the development was not so successful but THISDAY however learnt that Priestman has been in a meeting with staff of TCN over the new development.

In constituting the supervisory board of TCN, the government opted for the former Chairman of Revenue Mobilisation and Fiscal Allocation Commission (RMFAC), Mr. Hamman Tukur as chairman, while former CEO of Skye Bank, Mr. Akinsola Akinfemiwa will act in the capacity of the Vice-Chairman.

Other members of the board include the Director of Human Resources Management at BPE, a representative of the Coordinating Minister for the Economy and Minister of Finance, Director of Power at the Ministry of Power and a commissioner from the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC).

The TCN board will also have the representative of the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN), successor PHCN generation companies (GENCOS) and distribution companies (DISCOS) as members.

Source:www.thisdaylive.com/articles/after-seven-months-of-pussyfooting-fg-finally-hands-over-tcn-to-manitoba/141883/

1 Like

Re: FG Hands Over TCN To MANITOBA by otokx(m): 6:14am On Mar 12, 2013
Hope they can make available the prepaid meters to Nigerians at a reasonable cost.
Re: FG Hands Over TCN To MANITOBA by nonso84(m): 6:54am On Mar 12, 2013
Nice one!
Re: FG Hands Over TCN To MANITOBA by vizboy(m): 7:16am On Mar 12, 2013
we are heading to the right direction i must say even if i have to call on the fg to do more
Re: FG Hands Over TCN To MANITOBA by Nobody: 7:18am On Mar 12, 2013
Fantastic! This action will make it clear to all and sundry that the govt is irrevocably committed to transforming the power sector. Those still resisting the reforms should either join the moving train or they'll soon be crushed.

** "Let The Glory Of Nigeria Be Restored In His (GEJ) Time"- Pastor E. Adeboye

On Friday, 14th December 2012, President Goodluck Jonathan attended the 15th Holy Ghost Congress of the Redeemed Christian Church of God.

At that event, Pastor E. Adeboye led the mammoth crowd in attendance to pray to God for the president.
The General Overseer prayed and said “God should direct him so that the glory of Nigeria will be restored in his time”.

He added: “God, please give him the divine enablement, courage; Lord lead him (president) aright during his tenure, let the glory of Nigeria be restored"

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/12/echoes-of-2011-polls-jonathan-returns-to-redemption-camp-adeboye-prays-god-to-give-him-wisdom/

Less than 2months after those prayers were said, Nigeria conquered Africa in a historic African Cup win. The nation erupted in jubilation over the AFCON glory that came after 19yrs of waiting.

Does anyone still doubt the efficacy of prayers? Watch out for more fulfilment of this powerful prayer in other sectors (power sector inclusive): “God should direct him so that the glory of Nigeria will be restored in his time”

Let all patriotic Nigerians say Amen. Amen!

35 Likes

Re: FG Hands Over TCN To MANITOBA by awodman: 7:19am On Mar 12, 2013
I am happy that despite the controversy that dogged this aspect of the power sector reforms that the issues have been amicably resolved..definitely we are on the right path and hopefully our generation will witness uninterrupted power supply
Re: FG Hands Over TCN To MANITOBA by karlmax2: 8:00am On Mar 12, 2013
good one to the fg and congrat to MANITOBA i hope they do a good job
Re: FG Hands Over TCN To MANITOBA by Nobody: 8:57am On Mar 12, 2013
Can somebody please explain in detail what this means? Are we going to get more hours now? What?
Re: FG Hands Over TCN To MANITOBA by gen2briz(m): 9:21am On Mar 12, 2013
I beg I need the summary of the story
Re: FG Hands Over TCN To MANITOBA by UnknownMember: 9:23am On Mar 12, 2013
Fresh Air just got fresher...

2015... The Fresh Air must continue.. #Breathe it

2 Likes

Re: FG Hands Over TCN To MANITOBA by profola2be(m): 9:23am On Mar 12, 2013
It's the Year of All Possibilities, all impossibilities in your life have become possibile, from the moment that Word was spoken. They will line up, they will come into agreement. God is too big to be a liar. . ."

1 Like

Re: FG Hands Over TCN To MANITOBA by Nobody: 9:24am On Mar 12, 2013
Its ds same gej dat will Bleep up leta*tcb wil be closed down
Re: FG Hands Over TCN To MANITOBA by StudioCFR(m): 9:27am On Mar 12, 2013
I just hope story no go change tomorow
Cuz anything is possible in Nigeria
Re: FG Hands Over TCN To MANITOBA by Neoviper147: 9:29am On Mar 12, 2013
gen2briz: I beg I need the summary of the story
stop being lazy and learn to read till finish.

1 Like

Re: FG Hands Over TCN To MANITOBA by Nobody: 9:29am On Mar 12, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Fantastic! This action will make it clear to all and sundry that the govt is irrevocably committed to transforming the power sector. Those still resisting the reforms should either join the moving train or they'll soon be crushed.
good deve. But u must not turn every topic to political debate. It is the job of fg to do what is right bro. Meanwhile, I want to join the moving train so how do I join and how much does the moving train pay its passengers Pls o my biz block I need get my own cut from you sir. Pls don't say no cox am very sure that you have gotten your own cut

1 Like

Re: FG Hands Over TCN To MANITOBA by talktimi(m): 9:29am On Mar 12, 2013
otokx: Hope they can make available the prepaid meters to Nigerians at a reasonable cost.
prepaid meters shouldn't be the problem, its whether Nigerians will get realistic bills.
Re: FG Hands Over TCN To MANITOBA by executinal(m): 9:30am On Mar 12, 2013
IN JOE BOY WE TRUST

[size=28pt]2015 FRESH BREEZE[/size]

6 Likes

Re: FG Hands Over TCN To MANITOBA by talktimi(m): 9:33am On Mar 12, 2013
hbpeze: Its ds same gej dat will Bleep up leta*tcb wil be closed down
where did they dig this one out from ?
Re: FG Hands Over TCN To MANITOBA by talktimi(m): 9:37am On Mar 12, 2013
To all you political gangstas (you know yourselves) that will undoubtedly fill this thread very soon hurling insults on each other because of this laudable achievement and trying to force feed your political ideologies down our throat, I have one question for you. Must we clap our hands for the government for doing what they are supposed to do ?

2 Likes

Re: FG Hands Over TCN To MANITOBA by Kx: 9:38am On Mar 12, 2013
The Writer: Can somebody please explain in detail what this means? Are we going to get more hours now? What?
Could someone kindly tell us what Manitoba will do; how dia coming into d sector will deliver and sustain power supply to d consumers without tagging me ignoramus!
Re: FG Hands Over TCN To MANITOBA by blackbeau1(f): 9:45am On Mar 12, 2013
Hopefully,the light situation will improve @ realistic and low prices
Re: FG Hands Over TCN To MANITOBA by taharqa: 9:46am On Mar 12, 2013
Very, very, very, very GOOD development.... The ongoing Power Reforms just scored anoda BIG one. The investing community hv just heavd a Big sign of Relief..
Re: FG Hands Over TCN To MANITOBA by Burger01(m): 9:47am On Mar 12, 2013
executinal: IN JOE BOY WE TRUST

[size=28pt]2015 FRESH BREEZE[/size]
Oga Jo must deliver before 2015.. he has a lot at stake... sad
Re: FG Hands Over TCN To MANITOBA by Nobody: 9:53am On Mar 12, 2013
chiover: good deve. But u must not turn every topic to political debate. It is the job of fg to do what is right bro. Meanwhile, I want to join the moving train so how do I join and how much does the moving train pay its passengers Pls o my biz block I need get my own cut from you sir. Pls don't say no cox am very sure that you have gotten your own cut
By those still resisting the reforms, I meant the PHCN labour unions.

4 Likes

Re: FG Hands Over TCN To MANITOBA by Nobody: 9:56am On Mar 12, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Fantastic! This action will make it clear to all and sundry that the govt is irrevocably committed to transforming the power sector. Those still resisting the reforms should either join the moving train or they'll soon be crushed.

** "Let The Glory Of Nigeria Be Restored In His (GEJ) Time"- Pastor E. Adeboye

On Friday, 14th December 2012, President Goodluck Jonathan attended the 15th Holy Ghost Congress of the Redeemed Christian Church of God.

At that event, Pastor E. Adeboye led the mammoth crowd in attendance to pray to God for the president.
The General Overseer prayed and said “God should direct him so that the glory of Nigeria will be restored in his time”.

He added: “God, please give him the divine enablement, courage; Lord lead him (president) aright during his tenure, let the glory of Nigeria be restored"

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/12/echoes-of-2011-polls-jonathan-returns-to-redemption-camp-adeboye-prays-god-to-give-him-wisdom/

Less than 2months after those prayers were said, Nigeria conquered Africa in a historic African Cup win. The nation erupted in jubilation over the AFCON glory that came after 19yrs of waiting.

Does anyone still doubt the efficacy of prayers? Watch out for more fulfilment of this powerful prayer in other sectors (power sector inclusive): “God should direct him so that the glory of Nigeria will be restored in his time”

Let all patriotic Nigerians say Amen. Amen!
Sincere Nigerian, This is positively hilarious, wonderfully cooked, thirst-fully served. FRESH AIR

3 Likes

Re: FG Hands Over TCN To MANITOBA by slimming: 9:56am On Mar 12, 2013
Hope they manage it well.
Re: FG Hands Over TCN To MANITOBA by Nobody: 10:02am On Mar 12, 2013
GEJ will kill his opponents with envy oooooooo.....see progress. GEJ FOR 2015-2019-FOREVER!!!!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: FG Hands Over TCN To MANITOBA by badesco(m): 10:04am On Mar 12, 2013
Political gimmick in progress and what do we expect next?
Re: FG Hands Over TCN To MANITOBA by Orikinla(m): 10:07am On Mar 12, 2013
I pray the solution is here.
Re: FG Hands Over TCN To MANITOBA by ckkris: 10:15am On Mar 12, 2013
The Writer: Can somebody please explain in detail what this means? Are we going to get more hours now? What?

This means no more budget to share at NEPA, just as at NITEL. Now there will be sanity in these key sectors of national economy.
Any other mischievous question, from the vanishing beneficiaries of lootocracy that has impoverished Nigerians for 50 years?

2 Likes

Re: FG Hands Over TCN To MANITOBA by jeron1(m): 10:16am On Mar 12, 2013
otokx: Hope they can make available the prepaid meters to Nigerians at a reasonable cost.
See your foolishness? Watin concer TCN with prepaid meters...just come here come dey fool your slf

1 Like

Re: FG Hands Over TCN To MANITOBA by ckkris: 10:19am On Mar 12, 2013
black_beau: Hopefully,the light situation will improve @ realistic and low prices

Just like telecoms

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

NRC Flags-off Movement Of Containers From Apapa Port On Friday / NNPC Report: Auditor General Threatens To Sue Premium Times / Truck Drivers Block Road In Kogi, Protest N10,000 Daily Tax By State Government

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.