Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,750 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:09 AM

What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? (69624 Views)

What Is The Name Of This Fruit? (photo) / What's The English Name Of This Fruit? / What Is Velvet Tamarind Called In Your Native Language? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by Lordave: 10:15am On Nov 25, 2012
Akbee: It is called udari in my lang.its very common in my area n could be seen in every compound.got like three of its tree in my our compound.everybody enjoys d fruits,even strangers aint denied its fruits.passer bys are free to pick the droped ones.i hed its bn monopolised by the elders in eastern nigeria all in d name of culture.too baaaaad.since its a free gift of nature IT shud be shared by all n sundry
look at how comfortable you are with your ignorance. In eastern Nigeria Udara is monopolised by elder. SMH angry
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by Xtranoble: 10:31am On Nov 25, 2012
udara..in ibibio(Akwa ibom) and African star apple.
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by fingard02k(m): 10:33am On Nov 25, 2012
udara in igbo
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by Ilaje44(m): 10:34am On Nov 25, 2012
river101: Pls I need help on this, I got a message from 131NG on my MTN sim I haven't used for up to 6-8months as I put my sim on my phone some days back to see dis.' that I have won 2million naira in MTN ultimate wonder promo that I should call MR audu '

I called d number and it asked me questions and finally told me to send my information to this phone nd we can proceed from dere.

Pls I want to knw if this is real or a scam.

Also I don't knw how to start a thread in naira land.pls help

I'd suggest you go to the MTN office near you. Dont send your details to an unconfirmed number. It could be a SCAM.

Lo si offisi MTN to sunmo e lati lo wa idi finifini.

1 Like

Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by Youngzedd(m): 10:36am On Nov 25, 2012
It's like there is no eng name for this fruit.

More comments........
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by toyindebare(m): 10:38am On Nov 25, 2012
We call it Pabela in my dialect.
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by Skipfr(m): 10:41am On Nov 25, 2012
OHIEN is wat we cal it in Oza nogogo in Delta state.
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by IYANGBALI: 10:49am On Nov 25, 2012
It is called agba DO in my language
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by Reggie2(m): 10:52am On Nov 25, 2012
The English name of this fruit seem both controversial and problematic at the same time! Can somebody pls confirm the exact English name aside the botanical name? Admitting my ignorance...
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by Nobody: 10:54am On Nov 25, 2012
Agiliti: yoruba ppl call if agbalumo i think..no english name but it's botanical name is chrysophyllum albidum
it is called cherry in english..
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by Nobody: 10:58am On Nov 25, 2012
omenziate: Agbalumo and Udara in yoruba and igbo respectively. Cherry in English. I no sabi d hausa name sha.
lemu samia or agbalugba in hausa.
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by Reggie2(m): 10:59am On Nov 25, 2012
FLYGERIAN91: it is called cherry in english..

And not African star apple as some claim?
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by yafada: 10:59am On Nov 25, 2012
"The LORD hear thee in the day of trouble; the Name
of the God of Jacob defend thee; Send thee help
from the sanctuary, and strengthen thee out of
Zion; Remember all thy offerings, and accept thy
burnt sacrifice; Selah. Grant thee according to thine own heart, and fulfil
all thy counsel. We will rejoice in thy salvation, and
in the name of our God we will set up our banners:
the LORD fulfil all thy petitions. Now know I that the
LORD saveth His anointed; He will hear him from His
holy heaven with the saving strength of His right hand. Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we
will remember the name of the LORD our God. They
are brought down and fallen: but we are risen, and
stand upright. Save, LORD: let the king Hear us
when we call."

2 Likes

Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by camcor(m): 11:14am On Nov 25, 2012
salam001: In my native language Igbo,it is called Udara

Agbalumo in Yoruba language
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by HonLord: 11:24am On Nov 25, 2012
[color=#770077][/color]This fruit has an english name. It it called FIG (FIG FRUIT). That's the english and belongs to the gruop of fruits like - Citrus, Pomelo/Shaddock, etc. That is the fruit described in the bible when it was said that Jesus was hungry and thought it has fruit based on it leavy/fresh appearance from distance but could not find and caused it to die.

We all knows the time of this fruit - approaching of dry season/hammertan period (end of year). Call it anything you like in your language - it has a popular Igbo name all over the federation as UDARA (Central Igbo) while other tongues has similar name to it. I think while we are are kids, has something special with the fruit before becoming oldmen and women. We grew-up with the same head therefore still look at the fruit as a special one among others. Happy Sunday and enjoy!!!!!!!
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by jamespopo: 11:27am On Nov 25, 2012
Utieavwagadava is Urhobo
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by jude33084(m): 11:34am On Nov 25, 2012
stolen stone: the english name is shaddock

I can bet that 98.5% of Nlanders dont know τhis grin
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by merlin2oo(m): 11:35am On Nov 25, 2012
agbalumo in my part of the country
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by YINKS89(m): 11:42am On Nov 25, 2012
In ma own lang its called "oyan kekere"........‎​L̃̾Õ☺Õ̾Ô=Dcheesy=))winkÕÔ☺ÔÕ̾L̃̾..
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by Johnnoo(m): 11:44am On Nov 25, 2012
shocked
mohumyta: Forget about the name joor; the seed can put you for trouble back in nursery for maths class. We always count the seed for any calculations. Naija school life

Yessooo!! Even more trouble if you dare swallow it... I was told it will germinate & puff of my brain
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by Johnnoo(m): 11:46am On Nov 25, 2012
jude33084:

I can bet that 98.5% of Nlanders dont know τhis grin

Shaddock is a specie of orange
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by lapaz6410: 11:48am On Nov 25, 2012
Agiliti: yoruba ppl call if agbalumo i think..no english name but it's botanical name is chrysophyllum albidum

English = white star apple

1 Like

Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by Alonga: 11:50am On Nov 25, 2012
Utien urhobo lag,delta.
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by pendusky(m): 11:52am On Nov 25, 2012
salam001: In my native language Igbo,it is called Udara
udara nko oh
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by nsabear: 11:58am On Nov 25, 2012
in calabar is calld Udari
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by mickeymimi: 12:03pm On Nov 25, 2012
it is called white star apple
what happen to the Nigerian apple specie tree in nigeria and where can one find those apples . it used to grow behind my house in Lagos, when i was young.

picture here

http://theguardianlifemagazine..co.uk/2010/02/nigerian-apple.html
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by Nobody: 12:03pm On Nov 25, 2012
Gistben: in my native language "lokaa" it is called kokana

Are u from yakurr??
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by innocentmartini: 12:04pm On Nov 25, 2012
justsayemma: Its called udara in Akwa Ibom (d only country inside a country)
How about kukere or Nkpon Ekpo.
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by nsabear: 12:05pm On Nov 25, 2012
in Calabar is calld Udari
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by Jyffa(f): 12:05pm On Nov 25, 2012
Udari in efik(calabar), cross river state.
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by daviesmania(m): 12:08pm On Nov 25, 2012
justsayemma: Its called udara in Akwa Ibom (d only country inside a country)
so suprice the igbos also call it udara. I wonder who is copying who!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Lady Who Is Expert In Slicing Okro Called A 'Wife Material' (Photos) / Naval Officer Shows The Huge Python They Killed In Warri, Delta State (Pictures) / Animals Killed By Hunters In My Village, Nkpa In Abia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.