Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,842 members, 7,820,934 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:50 AM

What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? - Food (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? (69608 Views)

What Is The Name Of This Fruit? (photo) / What's The English Name Of This Fruit? / What Is Velvet Tamarind Called In Your Native Language? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by Nobody: 2:02pm On Nov 25, 2012
Gaga people call it obo to dun..
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by buoye1(m): 2:02pm On Nov 25, 2012
Isiterere: Yoruba ----- agbalumo or ipalabe
Wc part of Yoruba r u frm?Neva hrd ipaleba in ma lyf,all i knw is agbalumo
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by BelG(m): 2:03pm On Nov 25, 2012
Igala call it EHIA
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by NovusHomo(m): 2:08pm On Nov 25, 2012
yafada: "The LORD hear thee in the day of trouble; the Name
of the God of Jacob defend thee; Send thee help
from the sanctuary, and strengthen thee out of
Zion; Remember all thy offerings, and accept thy
burnt sacrifice; Selah. Grant thee according to thine own heart, and fulfil
all thy counsel. We will rejoice in thy salvation, and
in the name of our God we will set up our banners:
the LORD fulfil all thy petitions. Now know I that the
LORD saveth His anointed; He will hear him from His
holy heaven with the saving strength of His right hand. Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we
will remember the name of the LORD our God. They
are brought down and fallen: but we are risen, and
stand upright. Save, LORD: let the king Hear us
when we call."

Oh, Lordy!. Shake me head. Yawn
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by ldpele(m): 2:15pm On Nov 25, 2012
Missy_B: Otien cheesy
pls wat tribe is dat?
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by Natiloni: 2:15pm On Nov 25, 2012
Utien Agadavwa
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by eldoradoxx: 2:17pm On Nov 25, 2012
booqee: Agbalumo in yoruba. I think d nigerianised-english name for it is cherry. Chai back in those days, the skin was a very good source of chewing gum, grin while we(girls) also cracked d seed and used dat white stuff inside d seed as earrings.
Silly things i've done as a kid mehn! grin
Hahahahahahaha, u just reminded me of those days of childhood innocence, yea our sisters and friends used it's seed for ear ring, lol. Kids of nowadays are not catching as much fun as we did years back.
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by Carinaflo(f): 2:18pm On Nov 25, 2012
Agbalumo
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by BelloDare: 2:20pm On Nov 25, 2012
Agwaluba
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by lorddannie: 2:27pm On Nov 25, 2012
caseless: kai nagoma, sai kace bakajin hausa... Agwaluma Ne ai sunnar abun. Na agwaluma hausa mah de call am.
it seems the hausas and the yorubas have alot in common. The hausas even claim they have the same ancestors...
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by alphaconde(m): 2:27pm On Nov 25, 2012
Ekpoma people call it otien
It seems the season is gradually approaching
Can't wait grin
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by DeSheikh(m): 2:30pm On Nov 25, 2012
nagoma:

The Hausa name is Ciwoh. ( pronounced - chi- wou)

Anya?? Nagoma ka tabbata kuwa? ni dai na san agwaluma muke kiransa a Kano.

We call it Agwaluma in Hausa (at least in Kano). I believe it is borrowed from the Yoruba name for the fruit as we do not grow it locally. it is common knowledge that when a an ethnic group hasn't got something locally, their name for it is usually a corruption of the name it is called where they source it from. e.g. bicycle in Hausa = Keke (yoruba origin), Bucket (bokiti - Ebglish), etc
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by begwong: 2:35pm On Nov 25, 2012
omenziate: Agbalumo and Udara in yoruba and igbo respectively. Cherry in English. I no sabi d hausa name sha.
Agwalugwa!
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by victorD3: 2:38pm On Nov 25, 2012
Udura - Ibibio (Akwa-ibom state)
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by mamaafrik(m): 2:40pm On Nov 25, 2012
Haha datz agbalumọ dundun ọmọọba lofẹmu.
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by guruobinna: 2:41pm On Nov 25, 2012
Gentle Naaz: We cal it "nwanyi ana apiwa onu" A.K.A. "udara" in Igbo cheesy
Udara si, "onaya mmuru nwa ana apiwa onu" meaning i mine the only person dat give birth 2 a child its mouth pple torn asunder
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by Revolva(m): 2:41pm On Nov 25, 2012
Ute in igala kogi state
oooo but na agbalumo dem dey call am for lagos ooo
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by Nobody: 2:44pm On Nov 25, 2012
Utienagadava
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by Ammanda(f): 2:56pm On Nov 25, 2012
gwam gwam gwam gwam nwayioma dachiri uzo

Dunno why pregnant women have a thing for udara
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by bisiswag(f): 2:57pm On Nov 25, 2012
honeric01:

Otien is what most people in Edo call it, not Ishan/Esan and the word is not originally an esan word, let's just leave it as an Edo name and not try to cause division by tribalizing it because if you do, you'd discover that it's a bini name for it.
Okay oh,please don't bite my head off abeg,Edo man. I just couldn't stop laughing sha reading ur post. No tribalism here,so please don't even mention the word again. Obilu
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by Ilaje44(m): 2:59pm On Nov 25, 2012
Hon. Lord:
This fruit has an english name. It it called FIG (FIG FRUIT). That's the english and belongs to the gruop of fruits like - Citrus, Pomelo/Shaddock, etc. That is the fruit described in the bible when it was said that Jesus was hungry and thought it has fruit based on it leavy/fresh appearance from distance but could not find and caused it to die.

We all knows the time of this fruit - approaching of dry season/hammertan period (end of year). Call it anything you like in your language - it has a popular Igbo name all over the federation as UDARA (Central Igbo) while other tongues has similar name to it. I think while we are are kids, has something special with the fruit before becoming oldmen and women. We grew-up with the same head therefore still look at the fruit as a special one among others. Happy Sunday and enjoy!!!!!!!

This is definitely not the fruit refered to as FIG. Fig is called AJARA and the fruit ESO AJARA in Yoruba. The cherry that people call it is only true for Nigeria. Outside Nigeria, no English Speaker would tell you that is a cherry. We used to have a cherry tree in our garden here where I live.

To know how fig or cherry fruits look like, make a search in google picture.
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by omenziate(m): 3:01pm On Nov 25, 2012
The shaddock fruit looks more like a Citrus spp, and cherry definately isn't it. The generic name for the fruit is "Chrysophyllum" . and the African specie is Chrysophyllum africanum called "Star apples".

So me sef dey wrong all these while. Thanks to wikipedia and google. I don learn new one today. Praise Jah.
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by Nobody: 3:04pm On Nov 25, 2012
Utie agadava in Urhobo.
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by VEE2010(m): 3:07pm On Nov 25, 2012
preetyjoy: Starapple- englishname
Etidai-native name
[color=#006600][/color]. Oron dialect abi?
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by guruobinna: 3:09pm On Nov 25, 2012
Fredrick909: [size=18pt]
i am also sure that.
my post didnt read anything like
quote me or Die.
[/size]
It seems this yr new way of coloring yr comments is intoxicating u. ISI UDARA LIKE U

1 Like

Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by obago(m): 3:09pm On Nov 25, 2012
Otien in Benin language.
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by Babadee30(m): 3:18pm On Nov 25, 2012
salam001: In my native language Igbo,it is called Udara

Its nectarine in English and AGBALUMO in yoruba
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by Pakavy(m): 3:40pm On Nov 25, 2012
omenziate: Agbalumo and Udara in yoruba and igbo respectively. Cherry in English. I no sabi d hausa name sha.
boko fruit in hausa
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by bokohalal(m): 3:43pm On Nov 25, 2012
obago: Otien in Benin language.

No such language.
What do the Okada or Iguobazuwa people call it?
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by aflovic: 3:49pm On Nov 25, 2012
In Ikale Language its called ehogi. Those days in school the seed is used in addition, subtraction, division and multiplication, while ladies cracked the seed and used the white seed in it as earrings. Its very sweet mehn.
Re: What Is This Fruit Called In Your Native Language? by toluxa1(m): 3:59pm On Nov 25, 2012
Phemour: Agwaluma in Hausa

Copy copy people, if you know what I mean cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Lady Who Is Expert In Slicing Okro Called A 'Wife Material' (Photos) / Naval Officer Shows The Huge Python They Killed In Warri, Delta State (Pictures) / Animals Killed By Hunters In My Village, Nkpa In Abia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.