Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,789 members, 7,820,762 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:07 PM

The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) - Travel (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) (52312 Views)

Truck Bursts Into Flames While On Motion In Lagos [PICS] / Trailer Tumbles And Falls At Alapere Lagos (pics) / Driver Urinates On The Roadside, Causes Traffic At Ekoro Road In Lagos (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Abagworo(m): 8:12am On Nov 28, 2012
dtc2k: Please show us the other parts of Lagos like Oshodi, Mushin, Agege, Ikorodu, etc and lets us enjoy the real growing Beauty of Lagos.Enough of propaganda.

This thread is about the beautiful part. I think there's another thread for the other parts.
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Afam4eva(m): 8:17am On Nov 28, 2012
shymexx:

SMH @AFAM...

The first story was about "pidgin English radio station" - however, the pictorial depiction showed kids in mud huts with 20th century radios, and you think that's the right depiction for a "pidgin English radio station?"

The second story was about "shopping in stores," however, the pictorial depiction was a dirty market in the middle of nowhere; and you think that's the right depiction, no?

Afam, do you still sing the US national anthem every morning?? grin You're definitely suffering from post-traumatic colonial stress!! undecided
No, i can't sing the national anthem. I just like the tune and that of South Africa.
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by getukudo(m): 10:39am On Nov 28, 2012
dtc2k: Please show us the other parts of Lagos like Oshodi, Mushin, Agege, Ikorodu, etc and lets us enjoy the real growing Beauty of Lagos.Enough of propaganda.

U follow show us na! Since u were born under the bridge at least u will hve the picx of d places you've mentioned.
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Nobody: 11:40am On Nov 28, 2012
Originalsly: Rare pics of the bright side of Lagos. Nice. Every city has its swanky area which is so often publicised that those not familiar with it may believe that the entire city is bright and beautiful. However, the brighter side of Lagos is not publicised as much as it should so I see this thread as a breath of fresh air. At the same time am wondering if these buildings are owned by Nigerians...if not...we need to think if this is really development or Nigeria is being sold out.

What are you talking about? You never look at buildings in Manhattan and say ''I wonder if they're owned by Americans''. Why would you even think in such a way? Ludicrous. Any facility erected in Nigeria de facto belongs to Nigeria. It's not as if anyone can say ''I'm going'', and carry a skyscraper along on his plane!!! In any case there is rarely ever a single 'owner' of such huge structures as they're mostly arranged via joint ventures of various kinds, collaborations among banks, financial institutions, investors, govt, and all sorts of complex leasing arrangements. So it's pointless asking who 'owns' anything.

2 Likes

Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by getukudo(m): 1:13pm On Nov 28, 2012
ROSSIKE:

What are you talking about? You never look at buildings in Manhattan and say ''I wonder if they're owned by Americans''. Why would you even think in such a way? Ludicrous. Any facility erected in Nigeria de facto belongs to Nigeria. It's not as if anyone can say ''I'm going'', and carry a skyscraper along on his plane!!! In any case there is rarely ever a single 'owner' of such huge structures as they're mostly arranged via joint ventures of various kinds, collaborations among banks, financial institutions, investors, govt, and all sorts of complex leasing arrangements. So it's pointless asking who 'owns' anything.

@ROSSIKE Very on point!! I think he go the whole idea very wrong. Its like saying all the buildings in USA are owned by Americans forgetting the fact italians and latinos run most of the businesses there. Very blurred way of thinking. Sadly a majority of Nigerians think this way. I think we should start appreciating our country more, take a trip to Calabar (My city) and see for yourself.

4 Likes

Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by AzanianQ(f): 1:18pm On Nov 28, 2012
Hello Lagos people

My friend and I will be visiting Lagos for the New Years week (27 Dec Dec to 4 Jan) from Johannesburg, South Africa and are looking for some ideas on places to hang out?

What do people do for fun in Lagos?
What are the best places to eat?
And best places to party?
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by gidiMonsta(m): 2:04pm On Nov 28, 2012
AzanianQ: Hello Lagos people

My friend and I will be visiting Lagos for the New Years week (27 Dec Dec to 4 Jan) from Johannesburg, South Africa and are looking for some ideas on places to hang out?

What do people do for fun in Lagos?
What are the best places to eat?
And best places to party?

Fun? you could go kart racing at the GET ARENA, you could go surfing at Takwa Bay/Lighthouse beach(if you get mind) and there's also a bowling alley on the Island. We have the Lekki Conservation center (this place makes me feel like I'm in the Jurassic Park every time I visit) or you could visit whispering palms in Badagry.

Food? if you want classy, orderly, 'international standard' etc then you can visit any of the big restaurants but if you want real Naija food try the likes of white house (Yaba) or any other tu.sh mama-put.

Best places to Party? My dear, you haven't partied until you party in Lagos!!! Ask Lloyd, Akon, Plies, Wyclef and co. Down here we party till its daybreak, I don't need to say much, you'll see for yourself when you get here. There are also a lot of concerts around that period so NO DULLING for you at all.

All in all, I'm sure you're gonna have a swell time in Lagos if you plan your itinerary well and avoid some places at night (if you don't wanna wake up in jail the next day).

1 Like

Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by AzanianQ(f): 2:20pm On Nov 28, 2012
Thanks very much gidiMonsta - will make a turn at Lekki & Badgary definitely (is this on the Island?). But what is "Behind mama-put" please? Looking for authentic good quality local cuisine.

Really looking forward to partying in Lagos! Are there any clubs or annual parties/concerts that are a MUST-NOT-MISS?

Also where do we go to meet some hot naija boys for the full Lagos experience? **kidding**
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by pure123: 2:38pm On Nov 28, 2012
u see what am talking about? no b all the beautiful place oyinbo dey show us? so wetin b d diff between canada and lagos
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by ponana(m): 2:50pm On Nov 28, 2012
Nice shots
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by delicious1(m): 5:16pm On Nov 28, 2012
@AzanianQ

Check out this site for everything from hotels, bars,clubs to restaurants in Lagos. Enjoy your visit! http://lostinlagos.com/
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by gidiMonsta(m): 6:26pm On Nov 28, 2012
AzanianQ:
Thanks very much gidiMonsta - will make a turn at Lekki & Badgary definitely (is this on the Island?). But what is "Behind mama-put" please? Looking for authentic good quality local cuisine.

Really looking forward to partying in Lagos! Are there any clubs or annual parties/concerts that are a MUST-NOT-MISS?

Also where do we go to meet some hot naija boys for the full Lagos experience? **kidding**

Mama-put is a naija word for cheap local restaurants. I don't think you'll like to eat there though, you can get well prepared naija dishes at many top restaurants too.

Badagry is not on the Island, its a whole different town on its own. Lots of historic sites there, mostly about the slave trade era. Getting there might be hectic now due to the ongoing road/metro rail construction in that axis, but you should be able to get a boat ride to whispering palms directly from VI.

Rhythm unplugged is usually one of the highlights of december in lagos, it features the best of lagos comedians and musicians. There's also the usual parties at oniru and Elegushi beaches, featuring mostly upcoming artistes. I'm not sure if the Henessy artistry concert has held yet (2010 edition was a blast for me. cheesy ).

As for the "full lagos experience"; you'll have a full plate of hot gidi(Lagos) boys to choose from.
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Nobody: 7:30pm On Nov 28, 2012
KINGwax: ^^^
i've never read me a more stupid comment as this? Go get a life

Very silly post indeed!
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Nobody: 7:41pm On Nov 28, 2012
DJTee: Worlds number 1 state of aquatic splendour. . .Eko o ni baje o!!!

No longer 'center of excellence', mme congo
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Nobody: 9:30pm On Nov 28, 2012
Truly, Nigerian cities are too disorganized for my taste. Seriously, a lot needs to be done. Don't be offended, Rossike. That is my opinion on Nigerian cities.
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by OmoTier1(m): 6:48pm On Dec 01, 2012
all4naija: Truly, Nigerian cities are too disorganized for my taste. Seriously, a lot needs to be done. Don't be offended, Rossike. That is my opinion on Nigerian cities.
Haha, you either have not lived in Lagos, and haven't visited other cities outside of Nigeria for you to have made this comment.

I have seen Paris, London, Amsterdam, Toronto, you name it, and I can say in terms of organisation, Lagos is as good as these cities. What is most required of Lagos now is the change in attitude of the vast majority of those resident in Lagos Main Land.

At ROSSIKE, thanks for those pics, imagine if Lagos sustain this tempo of development for the next 20 years, Lagos would be top five global destination. I am sure by the time mono-rail comes on stream, and sub-ways are added, much of congestion seen in Main and would reduced drastically.
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Nobody: 7:23pm On Dec 01, 2012
Omo_Tier1:
Haha, you either have not lived in Lagos, and haven't visited other cities outside of Nigeria for you to have made this comment.

I have seen Paris, London, Amsterdam, Toronto, you name it, and I can say in terms of organisation, Lagos is as good as these cities. What is most required of Lagos now is the change in attitude of the vast majority of those resident in Lagos Main Land.

At ROSSIKE, thanks for those pics, imagine if Lagos sustain this tempo of development for the next 20 years, Lagos would be top five global destination. I am sure by the time mono-rail comes on stream, and sub-ways are added, much of congestion seen in Main and would reduced drastically.
To point something out to you, I said Nigerian CITIES - not just Lagos. Yes, Lagos is one of the most disorganized cities of the world. It is very clear your understanding of disorganize speaks about something else not the general definition. If not, you wouldn't compare a city like Paris to Lagos in organizability at all. A city where people are burnt on tires through street barbaric law practices,a city where people cross the express with conscience, a city where people can be put in jail through extra-judicial system,etc. Please, let's not deceive ourselves on this matter. It is only when we accept our errors and turn on correcting them we can make progress as a society.
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by surveycash(m): 7:56am On Jan 01, 2013
On behalf of Surveycash & Family, I am wishing you
all a wonderful, bountiful and prosperous 2013 in good health and wealth.
Amen

Hot Selling Tablet PC with 3G SIM Card Slot
https://www.nairaland.com/1146374/new-hot-sale-android-tablet
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Nobody: 4:26pm On Jan 02, 2013
all4naija: To point something out to you, I said Nigerian CITIES - not just Lagos. Yes, Lagos is one of the most disorganized cities of the world. It is very clear your understanding of disorganize speaks about something else not the general definition. If not, you wouldn't compare a city like Paris to Lagos in organizability at all. A city where people are burnt on tires through street barbaric law practices,a city where people cross the express with conscience, a city where people can be put in jail through extra-judicial system,etc. Please, let's not deceive ourselves on this matter. It is only when we accept our errors and turn on correcting them we can make progress as a society.

Please spare us your depression and double-standards. I've lived in London and Washington, and holidayed in Kingston Jamaica, New York City, Orlando Florida, Amsterdam etc and these are places you could be walking along the street and someone emerges from nowhere to shoot or stab you. These are places where 6 year old kids are abducted, ra.ped and murdered, where people 'of the wrong colour' are routinely harassed by the police, and even killed in suspicious circumstances. Elderly women in their 80s have their houses burgled and are then rap.ed or killed. Gangsters walk around at night armed with various weapons. You could be in a movie theatre and a barbaric gunman walks in and starts shooting indiscriminately. In some cities, armed savages walk into kindergarten classrooms and mow down 5 years olds with submachine guns.

SO TWO CAN PLAY THAT GAME OF HIGHLIGHTING THE WORST IN ANY CITY or COUNTRY, Mr ''all4naija''.
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Nobody: 4:33pm On Jan 02, 2013
Omo_Tier1:

Thanks bro..
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Nobody: 4:57pm On Jan 02, 2013
Red-Light:
welldone rossike... bookmarking straight so i can show my german girlfriend that heard a lot of negative stories about lagos

Nice one...
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by tamahh: 10:35am On Jan 21, 2013
Hi bro...great images. can u please mail me ur contact details?i need some of these images for a project but high res versions.thanxalot wink
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Nobody: 2:14pm On Jan 21, 2013
ROSSIKE:

Please spare us your depression and double-standards. I've lived in London and Washington, and holidayed in Kingston Jamaica, New York City, Orlando Florida, Amsterdam etc and these are places you could be walking along the street and someone emerges from nowhere to shoot or stab you. These are places where 6 year old kids are abducted, ra.ped and murdered, where people 'of the wrong colour' are routinely harassed by the police, and even killed in suspicious circumstances. Elderly women in their 80s have their houses burgled and are then rap.ed or killed. Gangsters walk around at night armed with various weapons. You could be in a movie theatre and a barbaric gunman walks in and starts shooting indiscriminately. In some cities, armed savages walk into kindergarten classrooms and mow down 5 years olds with submachine guns.

SO TWO CAN PLAY THAT GAME OF HIGHLIGHTING THE WORST IN ANY CITY or COUNTRY, Mr ''all4naija''.
Lol... But, comparison should be on scale of things. There is no country free of evil people, one is worse than the other is what really counts. You are missing it right there,dude.
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Blamaco11: 11:37am On Aug 24, 2013
Keneking: Most of these pictures are on the Lagos Island...show those from the mainland areas. Anyways what is the intention of displaying the pictures? They have been there before AC-N took over power! In addition, there are no single government /public property in the images posted...all are private investments.

Now try and get a shot of picture from the pent house at Eko Hotel at night and you will marvel at the handiwork of God and the fooolishmness of man... ;

No matter how you treat him.....a man is never satisfied.

Lagos, carry go.

1 Like

Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Blamaco11: 11:08pm On Aug 25, 2013
huptin: All these pictures are meant to deceive people who havent been to lagos right? And how many of those buildings are actually government owned? How many of these pictures were taken in Ajegunle, Alimosho, Ojo, Okokomaiko, iyana Ipaja,Egbeda etc( where most lagosians live any way). lagos ia a former Federal capial city, if it does not have all these buildings thenthat will be very strange.

The truth is even in Victoria Island there are some roads that are in such a terrible situation, with pot holes and craters every where, i did not see any picture of these.........we can do better than this........ yes we definitely can.

My friend , do keep quiet and find somewhere to sit, you are nit-picking, when the Government built Abuja, your lot said, it is a soulless city, it was made for the rich, it was built for corruption. Some people are never satisfied. Love or leave Nigeria.
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Rossikk(m): 10:37pm On Mar 24, 2015
lol....maybe some updating is in order.. wink

Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Rossikk(m): 11:32pm On Mar 24, 2015

Badagry..
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by rockiedink(m): 7:34am On Apr 16, 2018
This is more than 5 years down the line o...

I hope you know that the monorail you were excited about is yet to be completed...

Are you still excited?

OmoTier1:

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

23,000ft, World's Highest Dinner Party Held On Mountain Everest(Photos) / Update Pictures Of My ROADSIDE Trip From California to Las Vegas / The World's Most Powerful Passports.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.