Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,749 members, 7,824,155 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:00 AM

The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) (52326 Views)

Truck Bursts Into Flames While On Motion In Lagos [PICS] / Trailer Tumbles And Falls At Alapere Lagos (pics) / Driver Urinates On The Roadside, Causes Traffic At Ekoro Road In Lagos (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by RedLight1: 2:32pm On Nov 27, 2012
shadrach77: Like i constantly say, pictures like these are not what we call beauty. These are pictures that have been cleverly taken from strategic, deliberate locations and any good cameraman can turn a slum into a city paved with gold by adjusting his camera lens strategically. Let's see the whole arial view of the city, then we'll be able to decide if it's indeed beautiful

shut up... the way they take pictures of new york from strategic locations and blend the ghettos in queens, new jersey etc
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Nobody: 2:33pm On Nov 27, 2012
wow this is amazing!
I wish there are more four cities like lagos in nigeria. things like unemployment will be 0%

Also i wish places like ND that is rich will come together and decide without govt interference to build a new city. so many rich oil producing area inthe world are doing this knowing that someday oil will finish and they need something to get hold of. i wish my own black ppl can see that.
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by geez1: 2:33pm On Nov 27, 2012
teskyg: Pls,lets see a snap shot of Oshodi,Mushin,Bariga,Ketu,Okokomaiko,and other areas of Lagos.

Here are some pictures of Oshodi I got from a friend just now

Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by naijalien: 2:33pm On Nov 27, 2012
@poster, well done but most of this is private property. I hope to see more images of the Lagos public space!
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by olivertwist: 2:34pm On Nov 27, 2012
shymexx:

And most parts of London and NY look like what you see on TV all the time, no? Go to South Bronx, Queens, Stapleton(Staten Island), Brooklyn et al in US - and certain places in London are fugged up as well...

You beat me to it bro. You see, I've come to a conclusion that most of these guys that talks thrash on NL have never stepped out of Naija before so you can always forgive them. If not, Afam will not make the stupid statement he made above. People are just so myopic to see the truth. Another thing is that, maybe most of these guys are 'JJC' to Lagos so they are not used to the 'Old Lagos'. If they've been to Lagos in the early 90s, they'll forever appreciate the little Tinubu & Fashola have done.

Afam should just check picture 29 above and tell me that was how Lagos looks like before Fashola came in. Just look at the arrangements of the red BRT buses on there lanes. No other vehicles on BRT lane, no BRT buses on other lanes. Isn't that lovely. With what I've seen in those pics esp pic 29, I believe we still have hope as Nigerians and blacks in general. I mean just look at Oshodi. I was there in April and I was gobsmacked.

Thanks a Million Rossike for the lovely pics.

10 Likes

Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Nobody: 2:34pm On Nov 27, 2012
afam4eva:
Manhattan is just the financial center of New York. What about other boroughs such as Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island etc. These places are not only made up of ghettos, are they?

The reason why they won't show you the good parts of Lagos is that cities like Lagos are redundant and there's nothing unique about Lagos. The'd rather go to some Asian and south American cities that are modeled after the culture of those places.

The places Rossike posted are the Manhattan of Lagos(pending when Eko Atlantic is completed)... So, why do they always show us Manhattan?? They rarely show us all those run-down projects where you might get shot for no reason... South Bronx is like a dead end, why don't they show us pictures of the place as NY?? Stapleton is a messed up zone, why don't they show us pictures of the place as NY?? Flatbush, Brownsville, Red Hook etc. are places in Brooklyn you can't even go to in NY without getting robbed, or hearing gun shots, why don't they show us pictures of the place as NY?? etc..

And how's Lagos redundant when the stay building new areas/developments all the time? - NY is the redundant place because everything has been built up already, Lagos on the other hand is one of the most innovative cities in the world...

PS: not comparing NY to Lagos - just pointing out the double standard in the Western media...
[b][/b]

7 Likes

Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by oluking: 2:34pm On Nov 27, 2012
where pictures of igando ,oshodi, ijora badia, ipaja etc
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Afam4eva(m): 2:38pm On Nov 27, 2012
shymexx:

The places Rossike posted are the Manhattan of Lagos(pending when Eko Atlantic is completed)... So, why do they always show us Manhattan?? They rarely show us all those run-down projects where you might get shot for no reason... South Bronx is like a dead end, why don't they show us pictures of the place as NY?? Stapleton is a messed up zone, why don't they show us pictures of the place as NY?? Flatbush, Brownsville, Red Hook etc. are places in Brooklyn you can't even go to in NY without getting robbed, or hearing gun shots, why don't they show us pictures of the place as NY?? etc..

And how's Lagos redundant when the stay building new areas/developments all the time? - NY is the redundant place because everything has been built up already, Lagos on the other hand is one of the most innovative cities in the world...

PS: not comparing NY to Lagos - just pointing out the double standard in the Western media...
[b][/b]
I'm not arguing that there are no ghettos in parts of New York. My point is that all New York borough are livable. There may be some ghetto areas with hoodrats but they are livable. It's not like Lagos that Livability is restricted to the Island. How come 95% of beautiful pictures about Lagos are always Island pictures. I can authoritatively tell you that 90% of Lagos is a ghetto. Take that to the bank and i assure you that it won't bounce. I'm not trying to run down lagos as it's my city just as it is yours even though you've never been here before grin grin grin
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Donmeca(m): 2:39pm On Nov 27, 2012
Colonial buildings and roads all over Lagos! When will our own people build our own Lagos?
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by cogsej06(m): 2:39pm On Nov 27, 2012
Rubbish!!!!!!!!!! very lovely on pic, on ground nko............na yamayama this pic can only deceive non residents.
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by tijehi(f): 2:40pm On Nov 27, 2012
Chei, so una bribe PHCN for those night pictures abi? lie lie to lie lie say PHCN go free light like that without some egunje's.

Just Saying. grin
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by davirex07: 2:40pm On Nov 27, 2012
Thats just 15% of lagos.Show us the remaining part.
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Nobody: 2:43pm On Nov 27, 2012
This is what happened when you steal all the money from SS and SE , use it to develop another region. :',
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Nobody: 2:44pm On Nov 27, 2012
Afam - this is the Western narrative about Nigeria... Same pattern of writing and the same fvcked up market picture... Tell me what the correlation between the picture and story is...

Op-ed: Lies, damn lies and GDP

Picture: A woman carries fruit to sell in the market in Lagos, Nigeria

[img]http://1.2.3.13/bmi/static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2012/10/16/1350408769091/f3858fd0-65ba-4f22-9403-9ad8ffdc52c6-460.jpeg[/img]

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/nov/20/economics-ghana
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by DANILSA(m): 2:45pm On Nov 27, 2012
@ ROSSIC MAY YOUR DAYS BE LONG, UR ONE OF THE FEW NIGERIAN STILL PROUD TO BE A NIGERIAN, WALK AND NEVER STUMBLE. BUT BY THE WAY WHO BE THAT IYA BASIRA WEY U SNAP? NA UR WIFE? grin grin

2 Likes

Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Afam4eva(m): 2:45pm On Nov 27, 2012
CHESSBOARD: This is what happened when you steal all the money from SS and SE , use it to develop another region. :',
Pls let's not get into this. it will derail the thread.

2 Likes

Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Nobody: 2:45pm On Nov 27, 2012
ekt_bear: Rossike: Well done, my brother.

You're welcome. cool
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by jonesdollieho: 2:46pm On Nov 27, 2012
Nice pics anyway but why concentrate on only the island. Is Ajegunle city, Orile buildings and some buildings at surulere not part of lagos state. pls show us the pics from the down-trodden residential areas where 10 people live in one-room.
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by olivertwist: 2:46pm On Nov 27, 2012
afam4eva:
Being proud of being black can be a Herculean task.

Then try being white for a day...

3 Likes

Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by dj187: 2:47pm On Nov 27, 2012
Proud resident of lagos island *Dancing Azonto*
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by trent9002(m): 2:48pm On Nov 27, 2012
LAGOS BEAUTIFUL
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by worldchangegrp: 2:48pm On Nov 27, 2012
This is some world Beauty if this continues for some time you never can tell we might be hosting upcoming olympic games and even the world cup
Other Governors all around needs to emulate Gov Fashola transformation and not the transformation agenda of weakling Jonathan

1 Like

Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by laksides: 2:49pm On Nov 27, 2012
♍γ̲̣̣̥ score is 40 over 100
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Nobody: 2:50pm On Nov 27, 2012
DANILSA: @ ROSSIC MAY YOUR DAYS BE LONG, UR ONE OF THE FEW NIGERIAN STILL PROUD TO BE A NIGERIAN, WALK AND NEVER STUMBLE. BUT BY THE WAY WHO BE THAT IYA BASIRA WEY U SNAP? NA UR WIFE? grin grin

Thanks bro.. Nigeria is moving... To be honest it will be our children that will really enjoy this country. One thing I've noticed about the govt is that despite their acclaimed vices, they actually do have a program to move the nation forward. But you've got to look for it to see it as their public relations depts. aren't very great at showcasing their development plans.
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Nobody: 2:50pm On Nov 27, 2012
afam4eva:
I'm not arguing that there are no ghettos in parts of New York. My point is that all New York borough are livable. There may be some ghetto areas with hoodrats but they are livable. It's not like Lagos that Livability is restricted to the Island. How come 95% of beautiful pictures about Lagos are always Island pictures. I can authoritatively tell you that 90% of Lagos is a ghetto. Take that to the bank and i assure you that it won't bounce. I'm not trying to run down lagos as it's my city just as it is yours even though you've never been here before grin grin grin

Not saying 90%, or 100% of Lagos isn't "ghetto" - however, my point is the bias in their style of reporting news about Africa... It's a psychological thing... AT least if you're going to talk about Lagos - make sure it's a balanced story showing: the good, the bad, and the ugly... Not just the same fruit seller in a run-down village market... The livability of Lagos vis-a-vis NY is debatable - there are certain places in NY you won't survive living there for a day... The same goes for Chicago... And there are certain places I can't even go to in London by myself without watching my back...

All boroughs of NY being livable is a myth - certain places are definitely not for decent people unless you want to die young, trust me...
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Tunjman(m): 2:54pm On Nov 27, 2012
Oshodi before and Now...who says LASG focuses only on highbrow areas?

4 Likes

Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Afam4eva(m): 2:54pm On Nov 27, 2012
shymexx:

Not saying 90%, or 100% of Lagos isn't "ghetto" - however, my point is the bias in their style of reporting news about Africa... It's a psychological thing... AT least if you're going to talk about Lagos - make sure it's a balanced story showing: the good, the bad, and the ugly... Not just the same fruit seller in a run-down village market... The livability of Lagos vis-a-vis NY is debatable - there are certain places in NY you won't survive living there for a day... The same goes for Chicago... And there are certain places I can't even go to in London by myself without watching my back...

All boroughs of NY being livable is a myth - certain places are definitely not for decent people unless you want to die young, trust me...
The truth is that if i want to do a documentary on the best cities in the world, i will go to New York, Los Angeles, Miami, Chicago, Houston, Beijing, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Rio, Paris, London, Moscow, Canberra, Jo'Burg, Barcelona, Madrid, Munich, Berlin and tens of other cities before even considering Lagos or any Nigerian city. But if i want to do a documentary on poverty, common sense only suggests that i come to Africa because poverty is a brand here. I'm i lying?
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Nobody: 2:54pm On Nov 27, 2012
Kx: Subject should read "Growing beauty of some selected spots in Lagos"
Its always about 'some selected spots'! Not all of US looks good, or do you think it is? You can argue about the percentage though.
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by manny4life(m): 2:58pm On Nov 27, 2012
shymexx:

Manhattan isn't even 2% of NY - so why do they show only Manhattan every time they show NY? - however, they have got a fixed picture of a dirty market for Lagos/Nigeria... It's more of a psychological thing than anything else - just to maintain the image of the "dark continent" where nothing ever works...

Brother, I was in NY within the fashion district, OMG, that place is just plain NASTYYYYYYYY.

If you know how inside Lagos Market looks in picture, no difference - water everywhere, dirt, port holes, I mean it's just plan nasty. Believe it, that's the seat of marketplace like Onitsha is - but it was just distasteful to me. This was why I said, I thought road side selling and hawking was illegal in America, till I went to the main NY, NY where the deal happens.

Here in DC, go into the SE area, and you will wish there was nothing that brought you down here
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by Afam4eva(m): 3:00pm On Nov 27, 2012
manny4life:

Brother, I was in NY within the fashion district, OMG, that place is just plain NASTYYYYYYYY.

If you know how inside Lagos Market looks in picture, no difference - water everywhere, dirt, port holes, I mean it's just plan nasty. Believe it, that's the seat of marketplace like Onitsha is - but it was just distasteful to me. This was why I said, I thought road side selling and hawking was illegal in America, till I went to the main NY, NY where the deal happens.

Here in DC, go into the SE area, and you will wish there was nothing that brought you down here
What part of New York was that?
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by manny4life(m): 3:02pm On Nov 27, 2012
afam4eva:
What part of New York was that?

New York, NY. The Garment/Fashion District on Times Square and close to Madison Square.
Re: The Growing Beauty Of Lagos (pics) by manny4life(m): 3:02pm On Nov 27, 2012
It's on the WEST SIDE, borders the EAST Part.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

The World's Most Powerful Passports. / Ibadan To Lagos Train Stuck In The Forest As Fuel Finishes (pictures) / Air Peace Acquires Boeing B777-200 Aircraft; Sets New Record

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.