Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,148 members, 7,811,276 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:02 AM

Between Jonathan And Nnpc’s Criminal Kerosene Racketeering - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Between Jonathan And Nnpc’s Criminal Kerosene Racketeering (5905 Views)

This Yam, This Goat, This Country; PWC And NNPC – Part 1 By Feyi Fawehinmi / Nairaland Poll On February Presidential Election Between Jonathan And Buhari / KPMG Report That FG And NNPC Hid From Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Between Jonathan And Nnpc’s Criminal Kerosene Racketeering by Gbawe: 10:21am On Nov 29, 2012
http://saharareporters.com/article/between-jonathan-and-nnpc%E2%80%99s-criminal-kerosene-racketeering-ifeanyi-izeze

Between Jonathan And NNPC’s Criminal Kerosene Racketeering By Ifeanyi Izeze
Posted: November 28, 2012 - 13:39

By Ifeanyi Izeze

Statistics from the NNPC indicate that an average of about 9 million litres of kerosene is consumed daily in this country with the bulk of consumers being in the poor, low -income and the middle class brackets. Is not worrying that for almost two years running, the issue of the senselessly high cost of kerosene a commodity that is mainly used by these deprived Nigerians has remained unresolved despite the hundreds of billions of Naira our government is said to be paying as subsidy for the product? How can a government that is supposed to be “of the people by the people and for the people” display such callous aloofness to the sufferings “of this same people inflicted by the people that were supposed to be sitting for the interest of these suffering people?

Though it is well known that kerosene was supposed to be officially regulated at N50 per litre but how much are the ordinary Nigerians paying for this product and who in government is actually bothered about this aberration? Is it not funny that kerosene used by the masses for their everyday survival costs more than petrol and diesel in this country? It is even more annoying that the current hardship faced by the majority of the citizenry that depend on kerosene could be traced to sharp business practices by people in and around government and its agencies.

Frankly, in this kerosene matter, the gulf between the price as regulated in the mind of government and what the ordinary Nigerians actually pay for it is a clear indication of how serious the Jonathan government considers the welfare and wellbeing of the poor, low- income and the middle- class segments of our society.

[b]Severally it has been said that no matter what the administrators of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) may coerce us to believe, the nation’s apex oil concern is full of glaring aberrations some systemic, most deliberately dubious. It would be recalled that both the Association of Petroleum Products Marketers and Major Oil Marketers Association of Nigeria in December last year petitioned President Goodluck Jonathan and alleged that the NNPC is the source of the sharp practices in kerosene marketing and consequent high cost of the product. According to the group, “The sharp practice is attractive, because while NNPC which was supposed to sell kerosene at the subsidised price of N50 per litre, now sells DPK as aviation fuel at about N152 per litre to airline operators.

The tragedy of the NNPC fraud is that because aviation fuel, Jet A1, has been very scarce and airline operators have resorted to the use of DPK as substitute for Jet A1, the NNPC and its importers now found it more profitable to sell the subsidised kerosene (DPK) to the airline operators that buy at more than triple the official government-pegged pump price for kerosene.

Statistics from the PPPRA show that the landing cost of DPK is N108.06, local distribution takes another N13.20 per litre, bringing the ex-depot price to N121.26 per litre against the federal government’s official pump price of N50 per litre, showing a subsidy of N71.26 on every litre. So selling to the airlines at N152 per litre, the NNPC makes extra N30 on every litre thus bringing its rake-in to about N100 on every litre of kerosene brought into this country. Good business is it not? But the question is: at whose expense?[/b]

As at today, whatever trickles out at some of the NNPC mega stations as kerosene for domestic use is just to justify the corporation’s continued stealing of the nation’s resources in the name of subsidy on kerosene. Worsening the already bad situation, some marketers that have “dubious connections” in the NNPC in most cases buy- up whatever is available to re-sell to Nigerians for household use at between N150-N350 per litre depending on the distance from the coastal storage facilities.

Is it not curious that none of the self-acclaimed advocates for the interests of the Nigerian workers and masses- the Trade Union Congress, Nigerian Labour Congress, Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association (PENGASSAN) and even the National Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers (NUPENG), has seen anything wrong in the issue of availability of kerosene to the ordinary citizens of this country to warrant any form of protest or face-off with government? Meanwhile, these same groups would spit fire on the slightest upward review of the prices of petrol and diesel. What kind of a selfish bunch of people do we say represent us?

The DPR is the body statutorily responsible for the regulation of the oil and gas industry and that includes licensing and supervising the importation, distribution and sales of petroleum products. But for whatever reasons since Jonathan came in, NNPC has hijacked that role and assumed the dual role of being the sole importer of kerosene and at the same time the regulator of its distribution. Truth be told, the current scarcity or rather the abnormally high price of kerosene was deliberately caused by the NNPC in its politics with another drain-pipe in the nation’s fuel delivery service- the PPPRA.

And this is what the President must hear because the strata of the society bearing the brunt of the kerosene scarcity were the same people that stood against all opposition to insist Jonathan was preferred when divine providence threw him up. So if he is their president actually, Jonathan implement urgent measures to address this seriously biting problem.

(IFEANYI IZEZE, Abuja: iizeze@yahoo.com; 234-8033043009)
Re: Between Jonathan And Nnpc’s Criminal Kerosene Racketeering by Demdem(m): 12:07pm On Nov 29, 2012
The Retardeen simply doesn't give a damn.
Re: Between Jonathan And Nnpc’s Criminal Kerosene Racketeering by freebloke: 12:23pm On Nov 29, 2012
hehehehe....
Bros,u dey find trouble o. U know the usual tin na... Some peeps go begin dey yarn dust now..dem go talk sey SAHARAREPORTERS dey lie
Re: Between Jonathan And Nnpc’s Criminal Kerosene Racketeering by PointB: 12:24pm On Nov 29, 2012
It has to be by Sahara Reporters.

Need we say more? grin grin grin grin
Re: Between Jonathan And Nnpc’s Criminal Kerosene Racketeering by Demdem(m): 12:27pm On Nov 29, 2012
PointB: It has to be by Sahara Reporters.

yes ooooo grin grin

Ifeanyi Izeze now equals Sahara, not sowore or even ACN grin grin
Re: Between Jonathan And Nnpc’s Criminal Kerosene Racketeering by takedat(m): 12:53pm On Nov 29, 2012
Thought the Yaradua administration gave a directive to NNPC and PPPRA to stop subsidising Kerosine since the product does not get to the consumer at the govt approved subsidise rate? This revelation was made known during the House of Rep probe and Diezani gave no convincing reason why the GEJ govt keeps subsidising when the anomaly is yet to be corrected by empowering the Inefficient DPR. All i can say is that Nigeria is unfortunate to have insincere leaders, the corruption in the petroleum industry is alarming becos the leaders meant to find find solutions are the main culprits and beneficiaries of the rot!
Re: Between Jonathan And Nnpc’s Criminal Kerosene Racketeering by PointB: 12:53pm On Nov 29, 2012
Demdem:

yes ooooo grin grin

Ifeanyi Izeze now equals Sahara, not sowore or even ACN grin grin

Get rid of fuel subsidy, or keep whining forever!
Re: Between Jonathan And Nnpc’s Criminal Kerosene Racketeering by Demdem(m): 12:56pm On Nov 29, 2012
PointB:

where u see whinning? isnt it u that dont even know who wrote the article grin grin
Re: Between Jonathan And Nnpc’s Criminal Kerosene Racketeering by PointB: 12:58pm On Nov 29, 2012
Demdem:

where u see whinning? isnt it u that dont even know who wrote the article grin grin

What has the writer got to do with my opinion?
Re: Between Jonathan And Nnpc’s Criminal Kerosene Racketeering by Demdem(m): 12:59pm On Nov 29, 2012
PointB:

What has the writer got to do with my opinion?

ur opinion was wrong.

PointB: It has to be by Sahara Reporters.

Re: Between Jonathan And Nnpc’s Criminal Kerosene Racketeering by PointB: 1:02pm On Nov 29, 2012
Demdem:

ur opinion was wrong.

What crap are you talking about?

Was sahara reporters not referenced as the source of the article?
Re: Between Jonathan And Nnpc’s Criminal Kerosene Racketeering by Demdem(m): 1:04pm On Nov 29, 2012
PointB:

Was sahara the writer of the article?

3 Likes

Re: Between Jonathan And Nnpc’s Criminal Kerosene Racketeering by PointB: 1:09pm On Nov 29, 2012
Demdem:

Does sahara write articles?

1 Like

Re: Between Jonathan And Nnpc’s Criminal Kerosene Racketeering by Demdem(m): 1:14pm On Nov 29, 2012
PointB:

Yes they do. Individuals also write.
Re: Between Jonathan And Nnpc’s Criminal Kerosene Racketeering by takedat(m): 1:21pm On Nov 29, 2012
PointB:

You only seek for the easy way out without condemning the activities of government agencies involved in this fraudulent exercise. If budgetary allocation has been provided for the 9million litres per day consumption, shouldnt it raise concerns why NNPC the major importer of the product sells to airlines as against the real consumers of the product? Why has DPR remained toothless inspite of the huge monies allocated to it as the regulator of the industry? It is an indictment on govt for dereliction of their duty cos the agencies involved are govt controlled.

2 Likes

Re: Between Jonathan And Nnpc’s Criminal Kerosene Racketeering by PointB: 1:23pm On Nov 29, 2012
Demdem:

Yes they do. Individuals also write.

Show me samples of articles whose author is - Sahara Reporter.

1 Like

Re: Between Jonathan And Nnpc’s Criminal Kerosene Racketeering by cdz: 1:25pm On Nov 29, 2012
"Severally it has been said that no matter what the administrators of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) may coerce us to believe, the nation’s apex oil concern is full of glaring aberrations some systemic, most deliberately dubious. It would be recalled that both the Association of Petroleum Products Marketers and Major Oil Marketers Association of Nigeria in December last year petitioned President Goodluck Jonathan and alleged that the NNPC is the source of the sharp practices in kerosene marketing and consequent high cost of the product. According to the group, “The sharp practice is attractive, because while NNPC which was supposed to sell kerosene at the subsidised price of N50 per litre, now sells DPK as aviation fuel at about N152 per litre to airline operators."

I find it really hard to make any sense out of this rather reckless assemblage of dicordant clauses. I wish we'd show more respect for readers by being thorough in what we write. This sense of this write-up is choking in a sea of poor construction. It diminishes its relevance and credibility.
Re: Between Jonathan And Nnpc’s Criminal Kerosene Racketeering by markus1133: 1:27pm On Nov 29, 2012
sahara does write articles
Re: Between Jonathan And Nnpc’s Criminal Kerosene Racketeering by Demdem(m): 1:27pm On Nov 29, 2012
PointB:

Show me samples of articles whose author is - Sahara Reporter.

u no get hand to search? Let me help out sha grin grin
Sowore is Sahara reporters.
Search for Sowore's articles or better still go here
http://saharareporters.com/articles
Re: Between Jonathan And Nnpc’s Criminal Kerosene Racketeering by PointB: 1:33pm On Nov 29, 2012
take dat: You only seek for the easy way out without condemning the activities of government agencies involved in this fraudulent exercise. If budgetary allocation has been provided for the 9million litres per day consumption, shouldnt it raise concerns why NNPC the major importer of the product sells to airlines as against the real consumers of the product? Why has DPR remained toothless inspite of the huge monies allocated to it as the regulator of the industry? It is an indictment on govt for dereliction of their duty cos the agencies involved are govt controlled.

What made you think getting rid of subsidy is easy. If it were why hasn't it been done?

Without any iota of doubt, over 80 pct of the corruption in Nigeria is associated with oil money - via various subsidy regime. This corruption has been well kept in the wraps by past government. It's is mainly due to relative transparency in the current government that these things are coming to fore. It is also my opinion that arrest and prosecution is not going to serve as enough deterrence, it will only help make the criminals more careful in covering their acts, or perhaps more vicious in eliminating those who seek to stop them.

To reduce the sleaze, remove the causal agent - subsidy on petroleum product - completely. Half hearted attempts (partial removal) has never solved the problem in the past. It will only exacerbate it.
Re: Between Jonathan And Nnpc’s Criminal Kerosene Racketeering by ojbaba95(m): 1:33pm On Nov 29, 2012
And I sing "another challenge o, another challenge o".Why U̶̲̥̅̊ guys keep exposing Bro Jonadul govt,abeg leave A̶̲̥̅♏ una fit vote A̶̲̥̅♏ out by 2015.I D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ cry 4 ds country.Hish!!!
Re: Between Jonathan And Nnpc’s Criminal Kerosene Racketeering by etalker: 1:36pm On Nov 29, 2012
PointB:

Demdem:

PointB:

Typical Nigerians! Answering questions with questions. grin grin

BTW: I thought the FG directed PPPRA to stabilize the price of Kerosene last year...
Re: Between Jonathan And Nnpc’s Criminal Kerosene Racketeering by PointB: 1:38pm On Nov 29, 2012
Demdem:

u no get hand to search? Let me help out sha grin grin
Sowore is Sahara reporters.
Search for Sowore's articles or better still go here
http://saharareporters.com/articles

Olodo.
See as you fall my hand!
Sowore is an individual, just as the writer of this article. Sahara Reporters by itself cannot write an article, it's deliberate lies, misinformation, and propaganda must necessary be written on it's behalf by someone. And if that person can be Sowore, it could very well be anyone else.

For you information, the writer of this article (in debate) has been writing for sahara reporter since 2011. So if Sowore is SR, so is this writer. I
Re: Between Jonathan And Nnpc’s Criminal Kerosene Racketeering by abbey2kool: 1:40pm On Nov 29, 2012
this our president na roaming guy all d waY FROM 2010 TO 2012 TOTAL RUBBISHH
Re: Between Jonathan And Nnpc’s Criminal Kerosene Racketeering by Demdem(m): 1:45pm On Nov 29, 2012
PointB:

Olodo.
See as you fall my hand!
Sowore is an individual, just as the writer of this article. Sahara Reporters by itself cannot write an article, it's deliberate lies, misinformation, and propaganda must necessary be written on it's behalf by someone. And if that person can be Sowore, it could very well be anyone else.

For you information, the writer of this article (in debate) has been writing for sahara reporter since 2011. So if Sowore is SR, so is this writer. I

Arsehole did u even go to the site i referenced for u at all? I ought to have known that i was talking to a lazy asss here.
All report/article u see on their site and written by Sahara is usually designated by saharareporters while those by individuals will have the individual's name embedded as it is the case in this article on this thread.

2011 and so what. It doesnt change the fact that the writer is expressing his opinion after some level of investigative journalism which in this case altogether is true as usual
Re: Between Jonathan And Nnpc’s Criminal Kerosene Racketeering by idlaw2k3(m): 1:47pm On Nov 29, 2012
e-talker:

Typical Nigerians! Answering questions with questions. grin grin

BTW: I thought the FG directed PPPRA to stabilize the price of Kerosene last year...
Who is PPPRA? The President can order the petroleum minister to make sure that petrol should sell at N50 at filling stations in 24HRS or TENDER HER RESIGNATION. BUT will he? Or rather CAN HE? Does he give a DAMM!
Re: Between Jonathan And Nnpc’s Criminal Kerosene Racketeering by Nobody: 1:59pm On Nov 29, 2012
Y am i tired of discussing corruption in ds con3?
Does our leaders hav another con3 dat we dnt know abt, where they intend 2 run 2 afta mismanaging Nigeria? Somebody ansa me pls
Re: Between Jonathan And Nnpc’s Criminal Kerosene Racketeering by Gbawe: 2:00pm On Nov 29, 2012
idlaw2k3:
Who is PPPRA? The President can order the petroleum minister to make sure that petrol should sell at N50 at filling stations in 24HRS or TENDER HER RESIGNATION. BUT will he? Or rather CAN HE? Does he give a DAMM!

Thank you !!! Same way he can order, in seconds, that we stop selling our oil through traders since that action only perpetuate the theft of Nigeria's wealth. GEJ can also abrogate , in minutes, the procedure involving Nigeria importing fuel through marketers to adopt the option suggested by his 'bosom' advisor Otedola. I.e Nigeria should negotiate directly with foriegn refineries.

There are many, many, many thing GEJ should do that he is not doing simply because he is part of the problem and was deliberately promoted into an office far above his station so that he can do precisely what he is doing now i.e abetting corruption, fraud and AGIPism everywhere with his actions and inactions.

1 Like

Re: Between Jonathan And Nnpc’s Criminal Kerosene Racketeering by citizenisb: 2:01pm On Nov 29, 2012
FOR NIGERIAN YOUTHS TO BE DISCUSSING BIAFRA WHEN THE ELITE ARE OPENLY LOOTING BILLIONS OF DOLLARS MEANT FOR NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT IN 2012 GOES TO SHOW HOW DAFT WE ARE.

MANY ON THIS FORUM WHERE NOT EVEN ALIVE DURING THE CARNAGE SO IF YOU THINK THAT WAS GENOCIDE, A GREATER ONE VIA CORRUPTION IS HAPPENING NOW WITH HUNGER, UNEMPLOYMENT AND MASS DEATH OF WOMEN AND CHILDREN AT CHILDBIRTH AND MALARIA SCOURGES WHICH SHOULD HAVE BEEN HISTORY IF NOT FOR BAD LEADERSHIP.

LET US KEEP ON PLAYING TO OUR LEADERS TUNES SINCE WE LOVE TO CONFIRM HOW DAFT WE ARE : TALKING OF BIAFRA WHEN SINCE 1999 WE HAVE HAD MORE MONEY THAN OUR ENTIRE HISTORY COMBINED TO HAVE TRANSFORMED US TO BRAZIL OR SOUTH KOREA, IT IS A PITY!!

3 Likes

Re: Between Jonathan And Nnpc’s Criminal Kerosene Racketeering by takedat(m): 2:05pm On Nov 29, 2012
PointB:

What made you think getting rid of subsidy is easy. If it were why hasn't it been done?

Without any iota of doubt, over 80 pct of the corruption in Nigeria is associated with oil money - via various subsidy regime. This corruption has been well kept in the wraps by past government. It's is mainly due to relative transparency in the current government that these things are coming to fore. It is also my opinion that arrest and prosecution is not going to serve as enough deterrence, it will only help make the criminals more careful in covering their acts, or perhaps more vicious in eliminating those who seek to stop them.

To reduce the sleaze, remove the causal agent - subsidy on petroleum product - completely. Half hearted attempts (partial removal) has never solved the problem in the past. It will only exacerbate it.
Guy, while I agree with you that corruption in the upstream sector preceded this govt but that of the downstream reached astronomical height during this era of GEJ. The call for total removal of subsidies has been on for years so it isn't surprising that GEJ is towing the line of his predecessors. How can you ascribe a toga of transparency to this govt when in reality the sleaze blossomed to a new dimension during its time to the extent that key govt officials openly contradicted themselves as to the actual quantity of product consumed yet monies were paid?
If your argument that the causal agent should be removed cos govt has proven itself to be inefficient, then all institutions enmeshed in corruption can as well be abrogated since corruption abound almost everywhere even if it involves the presidency!
Re: Between Jonathan And Nnpc’s Criminal Kerosene Racketeering by Joeadamu86: 2:11pm On Nov 29, 2012
Corruption in the oil industryis not a new phenomenon it has been there for a very long time,the indices are just manifesting themselves now because this govt is somehow open,no matter how we shout on top of our voices this is not a problem that can be solved in a day,patience can go a long way we have have faith in our govt...
Re: Between Jonathan And Nnpc’s Criminal Kerosene Racketeering by idirect(m): 2:21pm On Nov 29, 2012
I wept for Nigeria my country cry cry embarassed

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dickson Approves Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Bayelsa / Protest And Killing Of Igbo In Bayelsa (video) / Photo: Tinubu Sweating In Alaafin Of Oyo Palace

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.