Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,620 members, 7,823,712 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:45 PM

Dickson Approves Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Bayelsa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dickson Approves Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Bayelsa (5908 Views)

Death Sentence For Kidnappers In Oyo: Ajimobi Approves It / Dickson Bans Activities Of Group Supporting Jonathan Re-election / North Demands Death Penalty For Corruption (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dickson Approves Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Bayelsa by Pergrace: 8:12am On Feb 15, 2013
The Bayelsa State Governor, Seriake Dickson on Wednesday affirmed his position on the prescription of death sentence for kidnappers by signing into law the Bayelsa State kidnapping and Allied offences bill 2013.
Assenting to the bill passed by the legislative arm of government, the governor said that he would not hesitate to sign the death warrant of any person or group of persons caught in the act of kidnapping and other related offences.

Mr Dickson said, “I like to say this, if you are involved in any act of kidnapping, let me warn you today, don’t come near Bayelsa. We have put measures in place. I have just a short while ago commissioned 15 fast moving patrol boats for use by our security forces to ensure maritime security and safety.

“If you try that, whether it is in sea-piracy or kidnapping, we are going to get you. We will make it difficult for you to succeed and whoever you are and wherever you are operating from, we are going to get you.

“I am aware that the security forces have made several arrests and most of the young men and women who were involved in the recent kidnappings that took place are presently under custody. Any of them found guilty of the offence will be dealt with in accordance with the law.

“Today with this bill having been signed into law, we have entered a new phase in terms of the provision of the legal infrastructure that will support our fight against kidnapping and related offences.

“It is morally indefensible for young people for whatever reason to go under the cover of darkness, armed with illegal weapons, terrorize villages and old people in their homes and then forcefully abduct and rough handle old people and take them as an article of trade. That is morally indefensible.

“It cannot be justified under any circumstance at all. As a government, we are by this law sending out a strong message of condemnation and that we are prepared and determined to work with our able security agencies as a team together to flush out such criminals from within Bayelsa or wherever they are operating from.

“As I said earlier, and most people know that when I say something, I do it. I will not hesitate to sign a certificate,(warrant) of execution.
“Anybody who doesn’t listen and commits any of the offences prohibited by this law, and who is tried and convicted will face the penalty.”

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2013/02/13/dickson-approves-death-penalty-for-kidnappers-in-bayelsa/
Re: Dickson Approves Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Bayelsa by Nobody: 8:50am On Feb 15, 2013
Am sort of using juju since yesterday always being first to comment on half of the topic that hits frontpage

1 Like

Re: Dickson Approves Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Bayelsa by MadCow1: 9:24am On Feb 15, 2013
Good
Re: Dickson Approves Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Bayelsa by Goldenheart(m): 9:25am On Feb 15, 2013
hmmm... seconded. btw.... 3rd to ¢°₩£#^

1 Like

Re: Dickson Approves Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Bayelsa by vanstanzy(m): 9:26am On Feb 15, 2013
As much as i hate this death penalty, i think we can now heave a *sigh of relief* from Kidnappers.

Re: Dickson Approves Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Bayelsa by AGBORMAN1(m): 9:28am On Feb 15, 2013
very good indeed
Re: Dickson Approves Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Bayelsa by Olodo1: 9:29am On Feb 15, 2013
How about thiefing politicians. Why is Nigeria as a storyland full of comic relief.

1 Like

Re: Dickson Approves Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Bayelsa by uzeba(m): 9:30am On Feb 15, 2013
Nigeria must be a better place for me and for u!!

1 Like

Re: Dickson Approves Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Bayelsa by Nobody: 9:30am On Feb 15, 2013
Re: Dickson Approves Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Bayelsa by Milikiman: 9:30am On Feb 15, 2013
wat of people who embezzle billion dat as kill majority.750k bail
Re: Dickson Approves Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Bayelsa by swit16(f): 9:31am On Feb 15, 2013
Very well
Re: Dickson Approves Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Bayelsa by victorazy(m): 9:31am On Feb 15, 2013
And 2yrs imprison to looters
Re: Dickson Approves Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Bayelsa by vanstanzy(m): 9:31am On Feb 15, 2013
“It is morally indefensible for young people for whatever reason to go under the cover of darkness, armed with illegal weapons, terrorize villages and old people in their homes and then forcefully abduct and rough handle old people and take them as an article of trade. That is morally indefensible.

“It cannot be justified under any circumstance at all. As a government, we are by this law sending out a strong message of condemnation and that we are prepared and determined to work with our able security agencies as a team together to flush out such criminals from within Bayelsa or wherever they are operating from.

As much as govt is willing to carry-out this threat, they should back it with employment for our teeming unemployed. It'll further help in reducing the scourge of kidnapping and other vices.
My own 2 cents! undecided

2 Likes

Re: Dickson Approves Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Bayelsa by Igwe9(m): 9:31am On Feb 15, 2013
life imprisonment( a.k.a, kidnapping with no option of ransom) should suffice. cool
Re: Dickson Approves Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Bayelsa by JimmyBoy1: 9:31am On Feb 15, 2013
But He and his cohorts should stop stealing too.
Re: Dickson Approves Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Bayelsa by ceejay80s(m): 9:35am On Feb 15, 2013
Corruption and money looters and embezzlers nko?
Re: Dickson Approves Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Bayelsa by engrfcuksmtin(m): 9:35am On Feb 15, 2013
Governor D ;DI ;DC ;DK my name sake thumbs up jare.
Re: Dickson Approves Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Bayelsa by kelvincoll(m): 9:35am On Feb 15, 2013
When will a death penalty bill for convicted corrupt public office holders be signed?
Re: Dickson Approves Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Bayelsa by engrfcuksmtin(m): 9:36am On Feb 15, 2013
Governor D I C K my name sake thumbs up jare.
Re: Dickson Approves Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Bayelsa by aigjoey(m): 9:36am On Feb 15, 2013
Y pay for browsing data when u can gt up to 5gb for free with ur Airtel sim with expiring date put at December 2014. Gv me a call if u ar interested. 07083731078,
Re: Dickson Approves Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Bayelsa by ebamma(m): 9:37am On Feb 15, 2013
Na now were i dey plan to start my own kidnapping business na him dem come enact this kind law, Its not fair oh
Re: Dickson Approves Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Bayelsa by seunfly: 9:39am On Feb 15, 2013
When will he sign death penalty for those that steal from government purse?
Waiting.........,.....,.............for answer.
Re: Dickson Approves Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Bayelsa by ABJay1: 9:44am On Feb 15, 2013
vanstanzy: As much as i hate this death penalty, i think we can now heave a *sigh of relief* from Kidnappers.

As far as Bayelsa state you mean.., Other states especially SE and SS should follow suit if they are serious about fighting Kidnapping and terrorism. The FG too should tow this line.
Re: Dickson Approves Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Bayelsa by dridowu: 9:49am On Feb 15, 2013
How i wish he can sign death penealty 4 officials dat embezzlee our money
Re: Dickson Approves Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Bayelsa by jayonpoint(m): 9:52am On Feb 15, 2013
Nigeria is an elitist society where only d elites are protected @ d expense of d citizenry. If Dickson can b dis swift passing death penalty on kidnappers, didn't he deem it fit dat corruptn is d basic for every other criminal acts? If pple reads everyday on d cover of newspapers d volume of dollars our pubic offic holders syphon n walk freely on d street n yet, Dickson we're delude of d fact dat he is protecting elitisms? May God help us in d country bt as well as I believe it tks d will of God to do so, however, we Nigerians shld rise to d occasion. We can't continue like dis, we must do somthin holistically else we're doom n our yet unborn as d rich we continue to gt rich n poor remains same if nt worse. We're all scared of death bt in no time we stil dies mysteriously thereby living behind our loveones in continuity of dis endemic dat has befell us even to our centinary.
Re: Dickson Approves Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Bayelsa by Nobody: 9:54am On Feb 15, 2013
Haha what a joke....

I was in Nigeria this gone Christmas, and our e-gbow supplier had apparently just come out of prison.

His Crime? MURDER

He was convicted of murder which attracts the death penalty.

Yet he was 'bailed' after only 2 years!

I was so shocked!

This was a convicted murderer roaming the street with no repercussions.

Only in Naija.

I just smoked my ting and ran....
Re: Dickson Approves Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Bayelsa by Tolexander: 10:00am On Feb 15, 2013
this is partiality and uncalled for. Na only kidnappers dem go give death penalty? It is unfair now. Men(kidnappers) with death penalty. what about kidnapperess(females that kidnaps), what will be their own penalty? Of course, not only guys kidnap.
Re: Dickson Approves Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Bayelsa by OluEmmaAss: 10:05am On Feb 15, 2013
Implementing it when the occasion arises is another issue.

1 Like

Re: Dickson Approves Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Bayelsa by Jaideyone(m): 10:09am On Feb 15, 2013
Great move
Re: Dickson Approves Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Bayelsa by vanstanzy(m): 10:16am On Feb 15, 2013
AB-Jay:

As far as Bayelsa state you mean.., Other states especially SE and SS should follow suit if they are serious about fighting Kidnapping and terrorism. The FG too should tow this line.

SECONDED!

Re: Dickson Approves Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Bayelsa by Pergrace: 10:18am On Feb 15, 2013
AB-Jay:

I concur
Re: Dickson Approves Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Bayelsa by Nobody: 10:21am On Feb 15, 2013
I hope d "kidnapping and other related offences" in which d law is couched shall be given d ejus dem generis rule interpretation to include those in govt dat 'kidnap' d ppls resources.
Dickson being a minister in d temple of Justice, knows better.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Biafra: Video Of Nigerian Senators Engage In Fist Fight Over Biafra / Citizens Supporting Citizens Commence Community Outreach Program Across Villages / My Chocha Is Wet — Nigerians Drag FFK’s Ex-wife, Precious Over Comment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.