Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,669 members, 7,816,750 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:23 PM

One Child Policy Should Be Introduced In Nigeria - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / One Child Policy Should Be Introduced In Nigeria (1971 Views)

Help!!wife Frustrated As Husband Vows To Go For Vasectomy After One Child, / Mother Forced To Abort 6 Months Pregnancy Under China One-child Policy / Divorce Settlement And Child-Support Be Introduced In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

One Child Policy Should Be Introduced In Nigeria by chineji(m): 8:45pm On Nov 29, 2012
Nigerias population is increasing at an alarming rate the schools are stretched all the facilties are stretched the other day I was watching a program on aljazeera and they said nigeria will have the same population as USA by 2030 for a country that's just two californias unemployment hunger poverty starvation is on the rise something has to be done about the population and the only way to do that is to enforce one child policy what's ur take on this nairalanders
Re: One Child Policy Should Be Introduced In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:29pm On Nov 29, 2012
My problem is the offshoot of this arguement. It always baffles me why poor people make more babies they can't even fend for.
Re: One Child Policy Should Be Introduced In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:36pm On Nov 29, 2012
maybe because they can't afford contraceptives
Re: One Child Policy Should Be Introduced In Nigeria by jmoore(m): 9:37pm On Nov 29, 2012
Everyone should be free to have kids irrespective of the number. There are a lot of things that are not being implemented in Nigeria. If one child policy is introduced it will just be in the book, no implementation. Education is the key to control population, I don't support one child policy.
Re: One Child Policy Should Be Introduced In Nigeria by baby124: 9:41pm On Nov 29, 2012
Why would government tell me what to do with my uterus? Are you kidding? As long as my kids are not your problem, then we have no issues. The ones that have kids indiscriminately with no plans to take care of them should be castrated or injected with contraceptives. That stuff is embarrassing. This includes family members that have kids so they can send them to their well to do family.
Re: One Child Policy Should Be Introduced In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 9:44pm On Nov 29, 2012
baby_123: Why would government tell me what to do with my uterus? Are you kidding? As long as my kids are not your problem, then we have no issues. The ones that have kids indiscriminately with no plans to take care of them should be castrated or injected with contraceptives. That stuff is embarrassing. This includes family members that have kids so they can send them to their well to do family.

That is too easy said. However do you realize that in Nigeria alone, more than 18 million children are an issue to the Government? The government has to educate them, and in some cases(Almajiri schools for instance) provide them food and housing as well. That is money that could be going to other things(assuming we could get even 30% from that). So tell me, why shouldn't Government(a sane one) intervene?
Re: One Child Policy Should Be Introduced In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:46pm On Nov 29, 2012
carefreewannabe: maybe because they can't afford contraceptives
but they can afford abstaining grin
Re: One Child Policy Should Be Introduced In Nigeria by baby124: 9:46pm On Nov 29, 2012
Kobojunkie:

That is too easy said. However do you realize that in Nigeria alone, more than 18 million children are an issue to the Government? The government has to educate them, and in some cases(Almajiri schools for instance) provide them food and housing as well. That is money that could be going to other things(assuming we could get even 30% from that). So tell me, why shouldn't Government(a sane one) intervene?

If i can take care of my kids without government intervention or aid now and in the future. why is my uterus important to the government? There is such a thing as too much government. No doubt, the government has a say in the people it takes care of with its money/my money. I think my kids will be fine. cool. People that have 1 child the government takes care of, should be immediately put on contraceptive as a condition, if they want to keep receiving aid
Re: One Child Policy Should Be Introduced In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:49pm On Nov 29, 2012
mondi_cheeks: but they can afford abstaining grin

You're right but the sex drive is a very strong one.
Human beings c.opulate more than most animals. Nature ...
Re: One Child Policy Should Be Introduced In Nigeria by chineji(m): 9:49pm On Nov 29, 2012
Well no one will tell you what to do with your uterus but like it or not you giving birth to many kids indirectly affects everyone first of all to get into the university is very difficult except for those whose parents can afford foundation programmes predegree or go to private unis and population explusion has never been an advantage to any country no matter the level of education
Re: One Child Policy Should Be Introduced In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 9:52pm On Nov 29, 2012
baby_123:

If i can take care of my kids without government intervention or aid now and in the future. why is my uterus important to the government? There is such a thing as too much government. No doubt, the government has a say in the people it takes care of with its money/my money. I think my kids will be fine. cool. People that have 1 child the government takes care of, should be immediately put on contraceptive as a condition, if they want to keep receiving aid

This issue is not just about your uterus. As I mentioned there are over 18 million kids in the system today that the Government needs to take care of. Some of those may have come out of your uterus, but certainly not all. Those uteri and others that could potentially add to that number needs to be, in my opinion, monitored somehow, so they do not drive us all over the edge with their popping actions.

The one child policy, in my opinion, is not a success. Look at China today? Still overpopulated and struggling to find a solution to the problem that seems larger than it is able to handle still.
Re: One Child Policy Should Be Introduced In Nigeria by baby124: 9:54pm On Nov 29, 2012
chineji: Well no one will tell you what to do with your uterus but like it or not you giving birth to many kids indirectly affects everyone first of all to get into the university is very difficult except for those whose parents can afford foundation programmes predegree or go to private unis and population explusion has never been an advantage to any country no matter the level of education

What is my business with if people can get into university? Must everyone go to uni? If my kids are smart enough to get in, and i can afford to send them, what is your issue? There are technical colleges and trade centers. Nigerian's should stop pushing this Uni issue. Too many useless unemployed graduates. Uni should admission should be based on merit and grades for direct entrance. Others should enter technical college and transfer from there, if they have the good results.
Re: One Child Policy Should Be Introduced In Nigeria by baby124: 9:56pm On Nov 29, 2012
Kobojunkie:

This issue is not just about your uterus. As I mentioned there are over 18 million kids in the system today that the Government needs to take care of. Some of those may have come out of your uterus, but certainly not all. Those uteri and others that could potentially add to that number needs to be, in my opinion, monitored somehow, so they do not drive us all over the edge with their popping actions.

The one child policy, in my opinion, is not a success. Look at China today? Still overpopulated and struggling to find a solution to the problem that seems larger than it is able to handle still.

Fine, i am with you on the population boost for people that cant afford it. But if i can, i should not be restricted. I dont want 1 child abeg. I dont want government telling me what to do if they are not responsible in anyway for me. They have no right to do that. Let them monitor the parents of the kids they take care of. Inject the women with yearly contraceptives or bi yearly contraceptives if they exist. We know they wont take the drugs or insert anything. grin grin grin cheesy
Re: One Child Policy Should Be Introduced In Nigeria by jmoore(m): 9:57pm On Nov 29, 2012
If you support one child policy let it start from you, don't wait for the government smh
Re: One Child Policy Should Be Introduced In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 9:59pm On Nov 29, 2012
baby_123:

Fine, i am with you on the population boost for people that cant afford it. But if i can, i should not be restricted. I dont want 1 child abeg. I dont want government telling me what to do if they are not responsible in anyway for me. They have no right to do that. Let them monitor the parents of the kids they take care of. Inject the women with yearly contraceptives or bi yearly contraceptives if they exist. We know they wont take the drugs or insert anything. grin grin grin cheesy

Unfortunately, laws are not enacted for just a minority else it will be considered discriminatory. Again, I am not for 1-child policy. I think there are better solutions like taxing people for every child they have and possibly tying the tube/freezing the balls of offenders. However, whatever solution that we come up with, should be applied across the board -- no exemptions for the rich, light-complexioned or any tribe.
Re: One Child Policy Should Be Introduced In Nigeria by slimyem: 10:00pm On Nov 29, 2012
Topic's similar to what was discussed on this thread...
https://www.nairaland.com/1108022/should-nigerians-given-financial-incentives#13034390
i'd think it'd be more plausible than the one-child policy.
Re: One Child Policy Should Be Introduced In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 10:01pm On Nov 29, 2012
^^^ Many of those solutions target the poor.
Re: One Child Policy Should Be Introduced In Nigeria by baby124: 10:02pm On Nov 29, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Unfortunately, laws are not enacted for just a minority else it will be considered discriminatory. Again, I am not for 1-child policy. I think there are better solutions like taxing people for every child they have and possibly tying the tube/freezing the balls of offenders. However, whatever solution that we come up with, should be applied across the board -- no exemptions for the rich, light-complexioned or any tribe.

Well if you want government aid, take the contraceptive as a condition until you get out of the poverty system. if you dont want, then carry your cross. The government has to propose that. It is not discriminatory, it is a condition for aid as the government cant afford to feed baby factories. And not all poor people receive government aid. I know in Nigeria, the rich ones actually hijack the system anyway. So what gives... And with china in 40years, their population will be significantly lower. SIGNIFICANTLY! There has to be a balance. I propose that any man that asks for aid should have all his wives put on contraceptives. Injected with it. Any woman that seeks aid should also be put on the contraceptive until they are able to stand on their feet. Haba!
Re: One Child Policy Should Be Introduced In Nigeria by slimyem: 10:06pm On Nov 29, 2012
Kobojunkie: ^^^ Many of those solutions target the poor.
Yes.They are the ones birthing children they are not and cannot be responsible for!
Re: One Child Policy Should Be Introduced In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 10:06pm On Nov 29, 2012
baby_123:

Well if you want government aid, take the contraceptive as a condition. if you dont want, then carry your cross. The government has to propose that. It is not discriminatory, it is a condition for aid as the government cant afford to feed baby factories. And not all poor people receive government aid. I know in Nigeria, the rich ones actually hijack the system anyway. So what gives... And with china in 40years, their population will be significantly lower. SIGNIFICANTLY! There has to be a balance.

I said nothing of Government AID so it is not the case that Government sends aid checks to the parents of these kids. The kids here are kids that are sent out to find for themselves what their parents ought to provide them. SO the government rather than let these innocent souls out there takes it on itself to provide them some help.
Re: One Child Policy Should Be Introduced In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 10:08pm On Nov 29, 2012
slimyem: Yes.They are the ones birthing children they are not and cannot be responsible for!

Not necessarily the truth. There are still many Educated people out there with kids that they are not taking care of.
Re: One Child Policy Should Be Introduced In Nigeria by baby124: 10:11pm On Nov 29, 2012
Kobojunkie:

I said nothing of Government AID so it is not the case that Government sends aid checks to the parents of these kids. The kids here are kids that are sent out to find for themselves what their parents ought to provide them. SO the government rather than let these innocent souls out there takes it on itself to provide them some help.

Because their parents send them out doesnt mean they are poor. Some people are simply greedy and have no business having kids. They use their kids to enrich themselves. Find the parents and deal with them by imprisonment or heavy fines. What, are you going to kidnap the kids and take care of them? Fine the parents heavily. And if they are orphans then take them on and train them in skills acquisition. Any adult that comes to ask for government help should agree to contraceptives for all females and males asking for the aid, for the duration of them being under government care.

I actually watched a documentary of these muslim countries and i have an idea what is going on. Most of those almajiri's are in islamic schools, far away from their parents. Kind of like boarding houses. The heads of those boarding houses send them out on the streets to beg. Young muslim boys in their thousands to feed these greedy "scholars". I dont know if that is the same in the north. I know it happens in other muslim countries.
Re: One Child Policy Should Be Introduced In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 10:13pm On Nov 29, 2012
baby_123:

Because their parents send them out doesnt mean they are poor. Some people are simply greedy and have no business having kids. They use their kids to enrich themselves. Find the parents and deal with them by imprisonment or heavy fines. What, are you going to kidnap the kids and take care of them? Fine the parents heavily. And if they are orphans then take them on and train them in skills acquisition.

I actually watched a documentary of these muslim countries and i have an idea what is going on. Most of those almajiri's are in islamic schools, far away from their parents. Kind of like boarding houses. The heads of those boarding houses send them out on the streets to beg. Young muslim boys in their thousands to feed these greedy "scholars". I dont know if that is the same in the north. I know it happens in other muslim countries.

We can go on technicalities but the point these kids need to be taken care of and the system is handling them now, and it is a burden on our system. Poor/Rich . . . there is a problem and we need a solution.

Do you realize what trying to imprison the parents of about 18 million kids will do to our system?
Re: One Child Policy Should Be Introduced In Nigeria by baby124: 10:14pm On Nov 29, 2012
Kobojunkie:

We can go on technicalities but the point these kids need to be taken care of and the system is handling them now, and it is a burden on our system. Poor/Rich . . . there is a problem and we need a solution.

If government decides to ignore solutions, then they are on their own. Government does not have to take care of anyone that sets up shop to beg on the streets. begging on the streets should be outlawed and is illegal. No one is arguing on technicalities. It is common sense.
Re: One Child Policy Should Be Introduced In Nigeria by chineji(m): 10:17pm On Nov 29, 2012
If not for chinas one child policy poverty rate would have still being in the dungeon for christs sake why do nigerians compare the country to us china and co those countries aside their population have large land masses we don't in nigeria nigeria is like a state in usa and we keep on increasing population saying kids are Gods gift after all boko haram members and all these ashewos and touts wee once a "children"
Re: One Child Policy Should Be Introduced In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 10:21pm On Nov 29, 2012
baby_123:

If government decides to ignore solutions, then they are on their own. Government does not have to take care of anyone that sets up shop to beg on the streets. begging on the streets should be outlawed and is illegal. No one is arguing on technicalities. It is common sense.
Do you understand the reason for Government? Cause if those kids didn't have anyone helping keep them in school, or keeping them off the streets, I doubt you would type what you have above . . not at all. Government plays a role in helping keep society sane, or at least to some extent. If you remove that role, you have chaos . . . imagine those 18 million kids descending on the streets of Nigeria. Do you think you would be singing this same tune here?? undecided undecided undecided
Re: One Child Policy Should Be Introduced In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:24pm On Nov 29, 2012
will this not lead to people terminating female babies or worse still abandoning them soon after birth.

I think i read an article somewhere that said that china now has a problem with the gender balance as men are finding it hard to marry due to this issue, when some people will pop out 8 kids looking for a male child what do u now think will happen if a one child policy is introduced
Re: One Child Policy Should Be Introduced In Nigeria by baby124: 10:25pm On Nov 29, 2012
Kobojunkie:
Do you understand the reason for Government? Cause if those kids didn't have anyone helping keep them in school, or keeping them off the streets, I doubt you would type what you have above . . not at all. Government plays a role in helping keep society sane, or at least to some extent. If you remove that role, you have chaos . . . imagine those 18 million kids descending on the streets of Nigeria. Do you think you would be singing this same tune here?? undecided undecided undecided

If you have a problem with the kids, take care of them. Because their parent shirk responsibility and government decides to fold its hands, and ignore while wasting money on them doesnt make that my problem. So because of 18million almajiri kids which will keep growing daily if government doesnt clamp down on the shady activities, i should now have 1 kid. While they keep reproducing like they are in a competition? Are you serious? Please, let us leave matter. The welfare system in Nigeria is still in the pits, so who is taking care of what. Those kids make more money on the streets than the rice and beans you are proposing we give them as a reward for being 18million in number. You actually believe that will end the menace?
Re: One Child Policy Should Be Introduced In Nigeria by slimyem: 10:26pm On Nov 29, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Not necessarily the truth. There are still many Educated people out there with kids that they are not taking care of.
Its a negligible percentage compared to that of the poor and uneducated!!
Re: One Child Policy Should Be Introduced In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 10:28pm On Nov 29, 2012
baby_123:

If you have a problem with the kids, take care of them. Because their parent shirk responsibility and government decides to fold its hands, and ignore while wasting money on them doesnt make that my problem. So because of 18million almajiri kids which will keep growing daily if government doesnt clamp down on the shady activities, i should now have 1 kid. While they keep reproducing like they are in a competition? Are you serious? Please, let us leave matter. The welfare system in Nigeria is still in the pits, so who is taking care of what. Those kids make more money on the streets than the rice and beans you are proposing we give them as a reward for being 18million in number. You actually believe that will end the menace?

Are you certain you read what I type before responding at all? I already more than explained how Government helps in the current system. I even explained that no aid is given to parents of the kids in question, and the help that Governnment gives the kids is by providing them amenities their parents deny them. I don't know what else to add to all that to get you to understand what this discussion is really about,honestly.
Re: One Child Policy Should Be Introduced In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 10:29pm On Nov 29, 2012
slimyem: Its a negligible percentage compared to that of the poor and uneducated!!
I disagree.
Re: One Child Policy Should Be Introduced In Nigeria by baby124: 10:29pm On Nov 29, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Are you certain you read what I type before responding at all? I already more than explained how Government helps in the current system. I even explained that no aid is given to parents of the kids in question, and the help that Governnment gives the kids is by providing them amenities their parents deny them. I don't know what else to add to all that to get you to understand what this discussion is really about,honestly.

Okay, so what stops the parents from having more? So the government just takes care of the responsibility and the parents are left to keep making the same mistakes. Are you sure you have been reading what i have been writing too? Arguing with you is an endless circle of nothing actually.

Later!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Married And Faithful Club / See How Some People Use Their Marriages To Frustrate Others (PHOTOS) / Most Men Get Married Because They Need A Maid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.