Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:02 AM

How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! (13303 Views)

NBC Ceded Part Of Delta Oil Wells To Ondo State / Obasanjo Ceded Bakassi Without Senate Approval!!! / No Part Of Itsekiriland Will Be Ceded To Any Group – Olu Of Warri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by Ngodigha: 2:54pm On Dec 02, 2012
emmatok:

So the Igbos controled 75% of the government and thesame Igbos carried out the coup.
Why the Igbo coup plotters decide to kill the tribes representing 25% of the government.
They destroyed this country.
Unegbe---Igbo killed.
Akintola---yoruba killed.
O-Eboh--minority killed
A.Bello---Hausa-fulani killed.

1 Like

Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by emmatok(m): 3:04pm On Dec 02, 2012
Ngodigha:
Unegbe---Igbo killed.
O-Eboh--minority killed

And how many Igbos were killed compared to other tribes.
Since he claimed 75% of government were controled by Igbos,
Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by Buc(m): 3:09pm On Dec 02, 2012
Baba Oyee!:

Truly the invasion of the Fulanis led to the fall of Old OYO EMPIRE and the enthronement of emireship at Ilorin till date but the fear of Yorubas that time was not based on that. It was based on the fact that Chief Awolowo wnted Nigeria to remain one entity and he expected that one day he will rule Nigeria as a President though it never came to pass.
Chief Awolowo was a fearless courageous and bold leader. He may have his own fault here and there as a mortal being but he could face any section of the country. He was never afraid of the North.
He told Gen Giowon point blank, if East was allowed to go, the West will go too.
This was never a statement of fear.
All said and done,I think Gowon, Ojukwu,Awolowo and others acted according to the infomation and circumstances prevalent as at that time. The still remaon heroes. We can take up Nigeria from where they left it and forget the past. If Nigeria can unity,we can be great. We need to be patriotic.
I want to agree with U, but reality doesn't agree. As long as primary school pupils in the North can strip and kill their teacher, because she seized and threw to the ground a copy of the quaran which they were using for exam malpractise. As long as a law maker of this lie called Nigeria can boldly r.ape the constitution by saying 'I'm a muslim and the Sharia law comes before any constitution'. And as long as when people in other parts of the world insult Muhammed, islam or the quaran and some people would choose to kill their country men, I will continue to dream, wish, pray, hope and fight if need be for the actualisation of the sovereign state of the Peoples Republic of Biafra.

1 Like

Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by illicit(m): 3:33pm On Dec 02, 2012
If ibos are 75percent into d same administration dat needs revolution, so who is foolin who? Why kill other tribes den?
Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by andyanders: 3:35pm On Dec 02, 2012
The history is there that it was what Yakubu Gowon did.
Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by Tolexander: 4:18pm On Dec 02, 2012
Ngodigha:
Unegbe---Igbo killed.
O-Eboh--minority killed
tafawa balewa(prime minister)--hausa/fulani killed Ahmadu Bello(premier, northern region) -- hausa/fulani killed ladoke akintola(premier, western region)--yoruba killed. Osadebey(premier, midwestern region)-- not sure of ethnic group, not killed micheal opara(premier, eastern region)-- igbo, not killed. Nnamdi azikwe(president)-- igbo, not killed. Ahn ahn! Why do you people always think you are wiser?
Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by ichidodo: 4:21pm On Dec 02, 2012
...No action for hiaaa.oh well i will just hang around.
Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by Jaideyone(m): 5:42pm On Dec 02, 2012
Cunninlingus: An Awo policy that led to a Pyrrhic victory and the establishment of a Caliphate(northern Islamic oligarchy) and an incompetent corrupt civil service populated by the SW.

The shackles of such tribal and religious guided governance began to break when Obasanjo made tribalism and religious affiliation take a back seat in his appointments of key officials and Ministers. Then came Yaradua , who took us back to the 70's with a hausa/fulani dominated cabinet.

Your hatred for Awolowo has beclouded your sense of reasoning. So it was Awo that ceded bakassi to Cameroun? Keep exhibiting your folly
Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by Jaideyone(m): 5:56pm On Dec 02, 2012
Buc: The reason the SW would never support the secession of the SE is because it terrifies them to remain with the Fulanis and I don't blame them,even the thought of it makes me feel pity for them. And history thought us the Fulanis had a hand in the collapse of their greatest kingdom and empire(Oyo empire) and probably would ve conquered them outright if not for the coming of the Europeans.
You're a fool. The fulanis were defeated. The only advantage they had was their calvary which were not effective in the Hills around Oyo town and Ibadan. Their victory stopped at Ilorin. Next time if u don't know something then don't say anything about it
Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by KDULAR: 6:11pm On Dec 02, 2012
Truly , it is unfortunate and disheartening if any Yoruba man on this forum will still continue to join issues with anybody from any tribe or ethnicity on the issue of Biafra, civil war etc. Who wants to live in the past history based on sentiments and lies should continue. It hasn't and will never pays them and no matter what they do hate or dislike Yoruba, their tribe and their people will forever RELY on the blessing that is naturally endowed in the YORUBA LAND .

Rather than being grateful let them continue, in their rain of insults , the OBVIOUS IS VISIBLE. sHEBI THE RULERSHIP OF THIS COUNTRY IS WHAT IS KILLING THEM NA ? With these inorrigible attitude, it is a sure banker they'll get it. It is the realization of the fact that leadership and rulership is becoming elusive that's why they continue to HATE WHAT THEY CAN'T CONQUER. Ki won ma jo lo , a w'eyin won. K'o seni to sipe inaro fun abuke.
Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by Sealeddeal(m): 6:16pm On Dec 02, 2012
illicit: If ibos are 75percent into d same administration dat needs revolution, so who is foolin who? Why kill other tribes den?
...when Igbo control 75percent of a government and still struck that same government,it means that they loved the nation more than the jobs they occupy.what you should know is that;the remaining 25percent comprise the main decision makers and as such,any coup must affect them.i mean,the leaders of the government.if they had failed to kill or capture Tafawa Balewa,how can the coup suceed? If they had failed to kill/capture Ahmadu bello,how can the coup survive? If the coup has left out Samuel Ladoke Akintola,how can the coup plotters explain their reasons for the coup? One thing Nigeria should know is that,the coup of 1966 was nationalist coup and was celebrated in north more than in east.the people that were made to kill or capture include the igbos like Lt.col Emeka Ojukwu(the same person that foiled the coup-an igbo),Maj.Gen Aguiyi Ironsi(an Igbo man,who escaped and organised soldiers that obstructed the coup too).those people that were killed in the coup are the main people.its just like someone from Middle belt to stage a coup and kill GEJ and David mark.killing David mark is not pertinent.the people that should be killed are the people who are the reason behind the coup and the people who are necessary to be killed to achieve the coup.

3 Likes

Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by babyboy3(m): 6:35pm On Dec 02, 2012
Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by Buc(m): 6:42pm On Dec 02, 2012
Jaidey-one:
You're a fool. The fulanis were defeated. The only advantage they had was their calvary which were not effective in the Hills around Oyo town and Ibadan. Their victory stopped at Ilorin. Next time if u don't know something then don't say anything about it
u should put and arguement forward instead of insult. U claimed I do not know and yet, u failed to enlighten me.
I don't know if u are my great grandfather or my son, either way I don't enjoy abusing people as I don't enjoy being abused, so I'm ignoring u.

1 Like

Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by Tolexander: 7:13pm On Dec 02, 2012
Sealeddeal: ...when Igbo control 75percent of a government and still struck that same government,it means that they loved the nation more than the jobs they occupy.what you should know is that;the remaining 25percent comprise the main decision makers and as such,any coup must affect them.i mean,the leaders of the government.if they had failed to kill or capture Tafawa Balewa,how can the coup suceed? If they had failed to kill/capture Ahmadu bello,how can the coup survive? If the coup has left out Samuel Ladoke Akintola,how can the coup plotters explain their reasons for the coup? One thing Nigeria should know is that,the coup of 1966 was nationalist coup and was celebrated in north more than in east.the people that were made to kill or capture include the igbos like Lt.col Emeka Ojukwu(the same person that foiled the coup-an igbo),Maj.Gen Aguiyi Ironsi(an Igbo man,who escaped and organised soldiers that obstructed the coup too).those people that were killed in the coup are the main people.its just like someone from Middle belt to stage a coup and kill GEJ and David mark.killing David mark is not pertinent.the people that should be killed are the people who are the reason behind the coup and the people who are necessary to be killed to achieve the coup.
did u just type with ur toe? Just imagin what you have just said if it has any meaning to yourself. Why didnt they kill azikwe, ironsi, osadebey and okpara to justify their nontribal coup as claimed?
Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by Nobody: 7:15pm On Dec 02, 2012
Sincere 9gerian: Former Minister of Information, Dr Walter Ofonagoro, has said that the former Head of State, Gen.Yakubu Gowon, ceded Bakassi Peninsula, which truly belonged to the present day cross River State of Nigeria, during the civil war, so as to block arms and food from entering Biafra.
Making this revelation in a key note address delivered at the Igbo Day Celebration which held in Lagos on Saturday, he said, “General Yakubu Gowon ceded the oil-rich region to Cameroon to stop food from coming into the defunct Republic of Biafra.”
The former minister said when Nigeria Army discovered that it would notbe possible to defeat Biafran soldiers with arms, they opted for economic blockade of the old Eastern Nigeria.
He said when they discovered that food and arms were still coming into Biafra through Bakassi, Gowon decided to cede the region to Cameroon so that the blockade would be effective.
His words: “I want to say that Bakassi Peninsula belonged to the people of the old eastern region. But during the war, the Nigerian soldiers discovered that Biafran soldiers were their match so they opted for economic blockade of the region. It was in the processthat Gowon went into negotiation with the president of Cameroon and ceded the oil rich region to them so that the blockade would be effective. We all know what happened, though some people are now feigning ignorance.”
On the Major Chukwuma Nzogwu Coup of January 15,1966, he said that the purpose of the coup was to revolutionise Nigeria.
He said that calling the coupan Igbo coup was wrong since Igbos were controlling over 75 percent of the government in the First Republic.
According to him, the purpose of the coup was to bring dynamism into the government of Nigeria in line with Ghana and other African nations that were already attracting international respect.
http://thenationonlineng.net/new/news/how-gowon-blocked-arms-food-from-entering-biafra-ofonagoro/

I tell you guys I know Walter Ofonagoro he's my uncle he knows what he's talking about he loves to talk IM TELLING YOU!! BUT he knows what he's talking about. More grease to your elbows UNCLE grin cheesy smiley grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by saintneo(m): 7:33pm On Dec 02, 2012
kokosheen:

So in order to revolutionize, leaders of other regions except SE were killed and at the same time Igbos were controlling 75% of the govt

Please, who is fooling who?

How can you control something and when you decide to revolutionize it, people that don't control (according to you) are killed and your people immune??
Igbo guy liking this post.

These old men like telling stories, whatis the way forward my fellow young people
Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by Ngodigha: 7:35pm On Dec 02, 2012
Tolexander: tafawa balewa(prime minister)--hausa/fulani killed Ahmadu Bello(premier, northern region) -- hausa/fulani killed ladoke akintola(premier, western region)--yoruba killed. Osadebey(premier, midwestern region)-- not sure of ethnic group, not killed micheal opara(premier, eastern region)-- igbo, not killed. Nnamdi azikwe(president)-- igbo, not killed. Ahn ahn! Why do you people always think you are wiser?
Osadebe is Igbo but was just newly in office. Hence committed no crime. Balewa not killed died as a result of ill health under captivity.
Okpara, was having a conference of commonwealth of nations.
Azikiwe, was only ceremonial president and wielded no power.
Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by gratiaeo(m): 8:11pm On Dec 02, 2012
WHICH WAY NIGERIA Who's enjoying the so called Nigeria today?
Pls let us we the younger generation put our heads together and find the best solution for this poo''' called Nigeria
As it stand today this old fools have failed us
They force us together to their own advantage
No need for insult let us forget AWOLOWO, OJUKWU, GOWON,......... Awo fought to become Nig president while Ojukwu in other hand fought to control the then oil rich eastern region, all this things are past
Soon Nigeria ll expire come 2014
The issue of Boko haram in the North is a clear indication that this people does not have our interest at heart
we're their victim let us stand with one voice and shame this devils that's devouring our fresh..........
REVOLUTION!!!

1 Like

Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by Tolexander: 8:13pm On Dec 02, 2012
Ngodigha:
Osadebe is Igbo but was just newly in office. Hence committed no crime. Balewa not killed died as a result of ill health under captivity.
ornithological specimen of identical plumage. So how come ifeajuna and nzeogwu knew they had to carry out the coup while okpara was away? So osadebey just resumed after 2years abi? Azikwe, a ceremonial president never had any influence at all during tafawa balewa's regime?
Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by Tolexander: 9:01pm On Dec 02, 2012
Ngodigha:
Osadebe is Igbo but was just newly in office. Hence committed no crime. Balewa not killed died as a result of ill health under captivity. Boy! Go and study ur history very well before demonstrating argumentum ad ignorantium here. Tafawa balewa was shot dead by ifeajuna after they realized the coup would fail and his body found on the sixth day by the roadside in lagos. Michael okpara never travelled to anywhere. He was first arrested by the coupist and later released
Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by bucho(m): 9:35pm On Dec 02, 2012
Buc: experience sure is a plus.
I've always felt Tinubu would be seen as Awo tomorrow. And U re right Sir, Zik was no hero of mine and Ojukwu was no hero to me also. If Biafra had worked back then, he would ve been synonymous with Gadaffi today I believe. Cause reports of his administration of Biafra, while it lasted was dictatorial. But, I may be wrong, may be prevailing conditions made him so.

Exactly.Well said.
Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by Samxiulee: 11:46pm On Dec 02, 2012
That is why the people from the SW are different,their fathers will not tell them something without them verifying the the story,and orchestrating it.
Bakassi was never a part of Nigeria,then let's assume gowon gowon gave it away,we went to court and we lost not based on what gowon did but based on the agreement between uk and Germany.so why are you guys crying foul pls?
Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by success9(m): 11:59pm On Dec 02, 2012
I don tire for all this ibo people wit their unending sentiments... The south/south no join the fight, of course they know sey the ibos will make them second class citizens in their country. With the ibos, there are no coincidences and their leaders are always right. Ojukwu to me is a failure... A lot of u are living in disillusion. And if u think Nigeria will disintegrate, sorry, it won't. Its beta u relocate to burkina sofa... The west and east of germany even break, they are back today... Na w/germany win their three world cups but today, it is germany. Forget about this people and let us build a great naija republic!!!!
Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by Forester45(m): 12:00am On Dec 03, 2012
Buc: experience sure is a plus.
I've always felt Tinubu would be seen as Awo tomorrow. And U re right Sir, Zik was no hero of mine and Ojukwu was no hero to me also. If Biafra had worked back then, he would ve been synonymous with Gadaffi today I believe. Cause reports of his administration of Biafra, while it lasted was dictatorial. But, I may be wrong, may be prevailing conditions made him so.
. Its very unfortunate that ur brain is dominated with terrible negativity. I can see hatred in ur statements. Must u expose urself to tell us u have issues with history as a course? Pls seek for re-admission to read history b4 u come out in public to comment.
Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by veron007: 1:12am On Dec 03, 2012
Everybody knows why Bakassi was ceded to Cameron. Why did you think that Obasanjor did not contest the ruling of International Court of Justice? He is an accomplise to the Genocide that happened in Biafra! That man and Gowon should be arrested and tried for genocide and ceding part of he country without authorization.

The only thing I am thankful now is that people like Gowon are alive and seeing what the hausa and fulanis are doing to his people. Nemesis is sure living with him now. I personally don't flinch when I hear about another killing in the north. When you take the side of the devil and barbarian, over the civilized man simply trying to protect him home and family you don't expect nothing less but the wrath of God to visit you and your people in your life time.
Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by princemaicheal: 1:31am On Dec 03, 2012
Red-Light:
7 users 22 guest viewing this topic.... hmm that shows that people are no longer interested in this same old stale biafra vs the world, bakassi vs nigeria news anymore ...its boring now
Facts are always there for reference.Atleast we are all getting a clearer picture of what transpired.
Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by illicit(m): 1:42am On Dec 03, 2012
Sealeddeal: ...when Igbo control 75percent of a government and still struck that same government,it means that they loved the nation more than the jobs they occupy.what you should know is that;the remaining 25percent comprise the main decision makers and as such,any coup must affect them.i mean,the leaders of the government.if they had failed to kill or capture Tafawa Balewa,how can the coup suceed? If they had failed to kill/capture Ahmadu bello,how can the coup survive? If the coup has left out Samuel Ladoke Akintola,how can the coup plotters explain their reasons for the coup? One thing Nigeria should know is that,the coup of 1966 was nationalist coup and was celebrated in north more than in east.the people that were made to kill or capture include the igbos like Lt.col Emeka Ojukwu(the same person that foiled the coup-an igbo),Maj.Gen Aguiyi Ironsi(an Igbo man,who escaped and organised soldiers that obstructed the coup too).those people that were killed in the coup are the main people.its just like someone from Middle belt to stage a coup and kill GEJ and David mark.killing David mark is not pertinent.the people that should be killed are the people who are the reason behind the coup and the people who are necessary to be killed to achieve the coup.
So u mean 75 people are d leaders and rest 25 r actually controllin dem, if dats d case den d 75percent shd be killed for occupyin space and incapable of controllin so small a number of dissidents, I still don't see hw ibo men were nt corrupt too and deserve to be killed too, forget ojukwu and ironsi, wat abt okpara and azikwe are dey not corrupt too? D northerners who rejoice den couldn't reason it in time, by d time dey figured it out u av ursefs to blame for it.
Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by COOLDUN: 2:18am On Dec 03, 2012
Tolexander: did u just type with ur toe? Just imagin what you have just said if it has any meaning to yourself. Why didnt they kill azikwe, ironsi, osadebey and okpara to justify their nontribal coup as claimed?

Who is the main person you kill to succeed in a coup? Zik then was a ceremonial president who had no constitutional power, Major Gideon Gwazar Orkah didn’t succeed in his 22nd April 1990 coup because IBB escaped, from then he was able to communicate with his chief of Defense staff, Gen Sani Abacha before the coup was foiled, had it been his men succeeded in killing IBB, Abacha wouldn’t have gotten a command to act as also Admiral Augustus Aikhomu who was the second in command,to IBB, wouldn’t have done anything, because his commander in chief was no more. The people that were not killed would have faced the wrath of the coup plotters if they succeeded. JJ Rawlings of Ghana killed both the serving head of state and 3 other ex heads of states in Ghana including many others, after he succeeded in his second attempted coup in 1981, had it been he didn’t succeed but killed some, it would have be turned against him and his Volta region people of Ghana.

Military is an institution that works as a family, irrespective of your tribe, religion, and faith. But in Nigeria tribalism dominates everything. Killing of the Igbo people started since 1945 even before the 1966 military coup; it was increased in the 1966 till today.These killings are not as a result of the military coup, but as a result of cultural, religious and tribal differences.That was why the crime committed by the military was avenged on the innocent civilians.

I am not supporting any killing of any sort. We are not one, and should stop wasting our time in pretending to be one. Every mistake in Nigeria is blamed on a particular tribe. Almost all the country tribes voted for GEJ, in the recent election, but today one tribe is blamed for the shortcomings of the GEJ weak government. Forgetting that, it was OBJ and his click of incompetent and myopic crooks, that placed GEJ, to cover up their criminal activities in the country.

There is no point arguing about the 1966 coup, because if they succeeded and transformed this country into a very good country in the world today, I don’t think that other tribes in Nigeria would have given the credits to the accused tribe. Quote. Success has no excuses, only failure that have. Let us peacefully separate and go on our different ways. Than always repeating our wrongs, as a broken record.

1 Like

Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by Tolexander: 6:04am On Dec 03, 2012
COOLDUN:

Who is the main person you kill to succeed in a coup? Zik then was a ceremonial president who had no constitutional power, Major Gideon Gwazar Orkah didn’t succeed in his 22nd April 1990 coup because IBB escaped, from then he was able to communicate with his chief of Defense staff, Gen Sani Abacha before the coup was foiled, had it been his men succeeded in killing IBB, Abacha wouldn’t have gotten a command to act as also Admiral Augustus Aikhomu who was the second in command,to IBB, wouldn’t have done anything, because his commander in chief was no more. The people that were not killed would have faced the wrath of the coup plotters if they succeeded. JJ Rawlings of Ghana killed both the serving head of state and 3 other ex heads of states in Ghana including many others, after he succeeded in his second attempted coup in 1981, had it been he didn’t succeed but killed some, it would have be turned against him and his Volta region people of Ghana.

Military is an institution that works as a family, irrespective of your tribe, religion, and faith. But in Nigeria tribalism dominates everything. Killing of the Igbo people started since 1945 even before the 1966 military coup; it was increased in the 1966 till today.These killings are not as a result of the military coup, but as a result of cultural, religious and tribal differences.That was why the crime committed by the military was avenged on the innocent civilians.

I am not supporting any killing of any sort. We are not one, and should stop wasting our time in pretending to be one. Every mistake in Nigeria is blamed on a particular tribe. Almost all the country tribes voted for GEJ, in the recent election, but today one tribe is blamed for the shortcomings of the GEJ weak government. Forgetting that, it was OBJ and his click of incompetent and myopic crooks, that placed GEJ, to cover up their criminal activities in the country.

There is no point arguing about the 1966 coup, because if they succeeded and transformed this country into a very good country in the world today, I don’t think that other tribes in Nigeria would have given the credits to the accused tribe. Quote. Success has no excuses, only failure that have. Let us peacefully separate and go on our different ways. Than always repeating our wrongs, as a broken record.
you said tafawa balewa died in detention? No he was killed by ifeajuna when he realized the coup was meant to fail and the corpse seen 6days after by the roadside in lagos. Osadebe and akintola started as a premier ruler of their region almost at the same time, and you claimed osadebe to have a clean hand. You claimed azikwe was a ceremonial president who had no influence in the government. But nzeogwu said azikwe was in the hit list and tafawa was not on the list. How was tafawa who was not on the list able to be killed and azikwe who was on the list escaped. Smart guys! Concerning the preindependence igbo massacre you mentioned. Did the hausa/fulani go to the eastern part to kill them? No, it was in the northern part they were killed. Since igbo realized the place they went to sojourn was not favourable, why cant they leave the place or were they a masochist?
Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by bigmo1(m): 12:40pm On Dec 03, 2012
1. When the Obong of Calabar signed a "Treaty of
Protection" with Britain on September 10, 1884
Britain agreed to "extend its protection" to the
Obong and his Chiefs. The Obong agreed and
promised to refrain from entering into any
agreements or treaties with foreign nations or Powers
without the prior approval of the British Government.
That is, he signed away his Kingdom as a British
protectorate. This type of subterfuge was carried out
with many of our ancestors. All of this was before
"Nigeria" was created. Note too that unlike
agreements between metropolitan powers these so
called protectorate agreements with African
Kingdoms did not have precise definitions of
boundaries. On November 15, 1893, Britain and
Germany defined their boundaries in Africa,
supplemented by another agreement on March 19,
1906. These covered British and German Territories
from Yola to Lake Chad.
2. In 1900, 1903 and 1906, key declarations made -
and militarily enforced - which created the colonies of
'Northern Nigeria' and 'Southern Nigeria' (inclusive of
the Colony of Lagos). The Obong of Calabar was
neither consulted nor did he resist. This was all
conducted between metropolitan powers and they
understood what they were doing. "Protectorates"
became "Colonies". Note the difference.
3. In 1913, Britain - for the colonies of "Southern" and
"Northern" Nigeria - and Germany - for "Kamerun" -
reached an agreement on their border from Yola to
the Sea. The first of these agreements was signed in
London on March 11, 1913 titled: "(1) The Settlement
of the Frontier between Nigeria and the Cameroons,
from Yola to the Sea and (2) The Regulation of
Navigation on the Cross River". The second was
signed at Obokum on April 12, 1913 by Hans
Detzner, representing Germany, and W. V. Nugent,
representing Britain. It addressed the precise
demarcation of the Anglo-German Boundary between
Nigeria and Kamerun from Yola to the Cross River.
There were eight accompanying maps.
For Bakassi (also spelled Bakasi) peninsula in
particular, the Germans were interested in shrimps
and an undertaking that Britain would not seek to
expand eastwards. The British were interested in
uninterrupted and secure sea lane access to Calabar,
a key trading post. Since the Germans already had
the option of using Douala environs as a port, they
conceded the "navigable portion" of the offshore
border to Britain. In exchange, Britain conceded the
Bakassi peninsula proper to Germany. In other words,
to get Germany's cooperation not to threaten access
to Calabar, Bakassi peninsula was conceded by
Britain. The Obong did not resist. Note that "Nigeria"
did not yet exist. This was long before General Gowon
was born.
4. In January 1914, "Nigeria" was created by
amalgamation. Neither the Obong nor any other
traditional ruler, Emir, or Chief anywhere in "Nigeria"
was consulted about it let alone its borders. As was
the practice then, it was done for British economic
reasons - to extend the railway system of "Northern
Nigeria" to the sea and to use excess tax revenues -
derived from spirits - from "Southern Nigeria" to
correct a budget deficit in "Northern Nigeria". British
and German maps of "Nigeria" from January 1914
clearly show Bakassi peninsula in Kamerun. There
was no resistance from the Obong of Calabar or his
people or any other native "Nigerians" for that
matter
Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by bigmo1(m): 12:51pm On Dec 03, 2012
5. The First World War broke out in 1914. In 1916,
Britain invaded German Kamerun. Among the
Nigerian troops and carriers fighting for Britain were
natives of Nigeria, including some from present
Cross- River State. At the end of the war, all German
territories were divided between France and Britain
by the Treaty of Versailles. The League of Nations
placed them under British or French mandate. The
boundaries between British and French mandated
Kamerun was defined by the Franco-British
Declaration of July 10, 1919 by Viscount Milner, the
British Secretary of State for the Colonies, and Henry
Simon, the French Minister for the Colonies. In this
agreement Bakassi and the rest of what became
known as "British Cameroons" were placed under
British mandate and administered coterminous with
"Nigeria" but not actually merged. The old 1913
border was retained. To codify this further, another
agreement was signed December 29, 1929 and
January 31, 1930 between Sir Graeme Thomson,
Governor of the Colony and Protectorate of Nigeria,
and Paul Marchand, Commissaire de la République
Française au Cameroun. This Declaration was ratified
and incorporated in an Exchange of Notes on January
9, 1931 between the French Ambassador in London
and the British Foreign Minister. Again, maps from
that period show the Bakassi peninsula within
"British Cameroons", not the "Colony and
Protectorate of Nigeria". Neither the Obong nor his
people, nor any other "native Nigerians" protested.
General Gowon was born a few years later.
6. The Second World War broke out in 1939. Native
Nigerians also fought for Britain. After the war, the
British and French League of Nations mandates over
the Southern and Northern Cameroons and
Cameroun were replaced by trusteeship agreements
under the new United Nations - approved by the
General Assembly on December 13, 1946. These UN
agreements re-ratified the prior borders as codified
by the previous Anglo-German and Anglo-French
agreements. Maps from that period show Bakassi
peninsula in the Cameroons, not the real Nigeria.
7. On August 2nd, 1946 Britain divided the
Cameroons into two, called "Northern Cameroons"
and "Southern Cameroons". The 1946 'Order in
Council' contained detailed provisions describing the
border separating these two regions, now
conveniently administered from colonial Nigeria - but
not part of it.
8. In 1954, the Secretary of State for the Colonies
issued a legal order defining the border between
Nigeria's "Eastern region" and the "Southern
Cameroons". Bakassi Peninsula was in the "Southern
Cameroons", distinct from the Eastern region and the
Calabar province and maps from that period show
this very clearly. General Gowon had not yet joined
the Nigerian Army. Neither the Obong nor his people
nor any other native Nigerians protested.
Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by 2ruink(m): 3:11pm On Dec 03, 2012
odum desmond: Its an error of fundaamenal nature, borne out of misconception and all forms of perorations and platitudinal outbursts bypeople who know more of sentiments that real facts and law that led to the Bakassi cession. Yes, politically, Gowon signed various agreements with Cameroon prior to and after the war, but did any of them cause the cession of Bakassi to Camerroon? Hell no!!! I was opportuned to do a 140 page research on the Bakassi imbroglio and came to the inexorable conclusion that Bakassi Peninsula was never a Nigerian territory. It is a complex web of rules of international law and colonial alienation following the Berlin conference of 1884-5 where African territory was divided between colonial powers, Germany got Cameroon while Britain got Nigeria. But around 1913, in a bid to define the boundaries of both nation,Germany and Britain decided that the boundary should follow a particular thalweg and measured using some cordinates which effectively put Bakassi into Cameroon. In fact a clause in the Anglo German treaty said that despite the vagaries of River Akpayafe/ Akwayafe water, "......it is hereby agreed that the territory now known as Bakassi peninsula shall be a German territory". Was Gowon born by then. He just politically signed/ executed an agreement that was made even before he was born which effect led to Biafran surrender!!!
Be sure of what you post here oga. Is it Cameroon to Germany or France?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2019 Polls: Vote PDP All The Way – Ex-governor Chimaroke To Enugu Residents / Senate Bill Recognising Males As Rape Victims Passes Second Reading / Reps Mull Reduction Of 428 Ministries, Departments & Agencies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.