Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,662 members, 7,820,328 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:11 PM

6 Major Causes Of Road Accidents In Nigeria And Tips To Prevent Them - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 6 Major Causes Of Road Accidents In Nigeria And Tips To Prevent Them (8013 Views)

See 30 Of The Weirdest Car Accidents (pix) / 5 Nigerian Big Boys That Were Killed By Power Bike Accidents (Photos) / The Major Cause Of Tyre Burst Accidents In Nigeria ( Pictures Included ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

6 Major Causes Of Road Accidents In Nigeria And Tips To Prevent Them by AutoJoshNG: 9:17am On Oct 10, 2016
The rapid rate of road accidents in Nigeria nowadays is overwhelming, if you travel interstate often, u go sabi wetin I dey talk. The recurring disaster has resulted in the deaths of many which is really sad as most of our roads are bad and the Government is not doing anything about it for now. I think the best option is to help ourselves.

Six Main Causes Of Road Accidents In Nigeria and Tips To Prevent Them:

1. Over speeding:
This is obviously the major cause of road accidents in Nigeria by a margin. I love driving too, infact I like going fast but the highest I have done with a car is 120km, I only have one life and I don't have a Bentley yet. When you “Over speed”, you’re forcing an engine to go beyond its design limit, and the result is mostly catastrophic. 80% of the cases of road mishaps in Nigeria are as a result of reckless driving and over speeding. Some road users have formed the habit of over speeding each time they are on the road. Some believe in their ability to maneuver their way through difficult situations, while others believe in their vehicles ability to wriggle out of any danger. But these perceptions are not always correct. According to the FRSC, 50% of road crashes in Nigeria are due to over speeding. Motorists should therefore know that speed kills.

Tips: Drive carefully and within reasonable limits.

2. Brake failure:
This is an extremely dangerous occurrence when a vehicle fails to stop after the brake has been applied. This term is familiar with the heavy-duty vehicles, though smaller vehicles are not spared.

Tips: Make sure you carryout routine checks on your vehicles brake system.

3. Bad Weather:
If the weather is bad; especially during a torrential downpour, road accidents may probably happen due to poor visibility and road slipperiness. Rain affects ability to see as well as vehicle traction.

Tips: Don’t ever trust your wipers to do the job. If you happen to be driving and visibility is poor where you have no awareness of cars around you, it is better to park your vehicle till the weather improves. You have got one life, protect it.

4. Bad roads:
The failure of successive governments in Nigeria to fix the death traps called roads in Nigeria has no doubt caused so much pain to temporal and frequent road users. The bad roads across the nation are nothing to write home about. Government at all levels must wake up to their responsibilities to make sure all roads in Nigeria are safe and motor-able. While road users should also exercise caution when driving in danger spots like potholes ridden portions, dangerous bends, roads threatened by erosion, roads enveloped with darkness at nights e.t.c.

Tips: Don't over speed, drive carefully.

5. Bad driving habits:
It is important for road users to respect other road users be ensuring their driving is not only for their own safety, but for others. Adhering to all traffic rules and regulations is also very important for safe driving. Indeed, road users’ behaviour has to change dramatically. Ignorance, lack of information and neglect of road safety in Nigeria laws has now made many preventable road carnages appear normal.

Tips: You are not on a race track and you are not the only one on the road, drive responsibly.

6. Fatigue:
This is mostly common among commercial drivers and drivers of Very Important Personalities (VIPs) and government officials. These drivers are usually over worked and hardly observe rest.

Tips:It is important for principals of such drivers to ensure that they observe maximum rest always, so that they can be refreshed and geared up for the next journey. No one can cheat nature.

Credit: Ladi Bentley

http://autojosh.com/6-causes-road-accident-nigeria-tips-prevent-ladi-bentley/

Cc
Lalasticlala
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy

1 Like

Re: 6 Major Causes Of Road Accidents In Nigeria And Tips To Prevent Them by Nobody: 8:20pm On Oct 10, 2016
Nice list.

brake failure...!
I don't ever want to experience that.
One time I dreamt my brake failed, I didn't drive for like 1 month o.
I even do prayer and fasting join (that was after routine checks though)_ na beg them beg me before I drive angry

By the way, this looks like the car of one Kora (not too sure) TV Boss that died recently. They claimed the truck was coming from the opposite direction. I don't know if it's my bad eyesight, but that doesn't look like the opposite direction.
RIP to him.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Under Inflated Tyres Are Highly Dangerous - Bridgestone GMM / Technology Boom: Germany Launch Transparent Car / Hire Purchase Or Daily Delivery Needed For Mini Bus(korope)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.