Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,787 members, 7,956,014 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 09:19 PM

Fashola To Sack 30,000 Katangowa Traders - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola To Sack 30,000 Katangowa Traders (9680 Views)

Buhari Under Presure To Sack Amaechi- Pilot Newspaper / Parties Kick Against Plot To Sack Jega / Fashola To Jonathan: "You Failed, Not Me!" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola To Sack 30,000 Katangowa Traders by EkoIle1: 3:24am On Dec 05, 2012
Fashola To Sack 30,000 Katangowa Traders

Posted By On December 3, 2012 @ 1:57 pm In Business,Business News | 5 Comments

The popular Katangowa market in Agbado Oke-Odo Local Council Development Area, LCDA of Lagos State, southwest Nigeria, will soon be no more. The market is known for second hand clothes business, popularly called Okirika and spare part trading.

With a population of over 30, 000 traders, the market is one of the biggest Okirika market in Nigeria. The traders claimed they have been trading in the area for about 30 years.

Last Thursday, Governor Babatunde Fashola, during a tour of facilities in the Lagos metropolis visited the market as part of plans by the government to build a Digital Village that may cost the government billions of naira in the area.

The plan was to relocate the traders in Computer Village in Ikeja to the area. If this is achieved, what is the fate of the displaced traders in the Katangowa market?

When Governor Fashola was addressed by the traders, he said the government has no plan to relocate them to another area, as they were not the rightful owners of the land.

He said the 17 hectares of land being occupied by the traders and squatters belonged to the state government and the government was not ready to pay compensation to illegal occupants on its land.

The traders had appealed to the governor to resettle them at Amikanle area, which the government had earlier promised to do, but Fashola did not make any commitment to it.

Fashola stated that his administration had kept a track record of resettling and paying compensation to people who had been displaced from their lawfully acquired property.

He, however, said that in a situation where people encroached into government’s land illegally, they should not expect compensation or resettlement when such property is re-acquired by government.

“As far as resettlement is concerned, we have always played an exemplary role . We did Isale Gangan redevelopment, we did Oluwole redevelopment and we resettled the people involved. But in cases where people are squatters, they have no rights over the property.

“The law does not protect illegality, it protects rights and you do not acquire rights by acting illegally. Human rights are legal rights; they are not rights acquired by illegal conduct and we must understand this in a democracy,” he said.

Fashola challenged anybody who claimed to have been deprived of his legally acquired property by his administration without getting compensation to bring forward such claim.

“All of the demolition we did to expand the Badagry Expressway, we are still giving compensation to the displaced people. The people that are displaced in Oshodi will soon relocate to a new market that is ready. We have intervened in Obalende without necessarily displacing the rightful owners.

“I hope that members of the public will understand that they can’t have a right to a place by jumping onto the roadside and saying it is where they must trade. May be, it may be politically popular to agitate citizens who are not aware of what their rights and obligations are.

“People escalate these things. Some people, societies or organisations make profit and get grants at the behest of the so-called masses they claim to be fighting for. The masses don’t have the right to break the law and if they do, we will enforce it,” he stated.

Mr. Femi Adedeji, who spoke on behalf of the traders, said displacing the traders from the market would not augur well with them, as it would have negative impact on them and the state. He claimed that the government had initially said it would relocate the traders to Amikanle area of the state.

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/12/03/fashola-to-sack-30000-katangowa-traders/print/

3 Likes

Re: Fashola To Sack 30,000 Katangowa Traders by EkoIle1: 3:29am On Dec 05, 2012
lmao.

Eko o ni baje lai lia...
Re: Fashola To Sack 30,000 Katangowa Traders by Nobody: 3:43am On Dec 05, 2012
Eko Ile: lmao.

Eko o ni baje lai lia...
I hope this is not part of the properties some people claim to own in Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Fashola To Sack 30,000 Katangowa Traders by EkoIle1: 4:09am On Dec 05, 2012
Aigbofa: I hope this is not part of the properties some people claim to own in Lagos.

We know the so called some people are very delusional. Trespassing is not ownership, it's called illegality.

1 Like

Re: Fashola To Sack 30,000 Katangowa Traders by seanet01: 4:09am On Dec 05, 2012
Aigbofa: I hope this is not part of the properties some people claim to own in Lagos.
Me sef. No room for illegality in South west. Me sef i want Amosun to expel those okrika sellers at lafenwa
Re: Fashola To Sack 30,000 Katangowa Traders by FreeGlobe(f): 5:50am On Dec 05, 2012
Mr. Femi Adedeji who spoke on behalf of the traders..................

Ekomumu, are you referring to Mr. Femi? So discombulated fashola wan send mr femi back to ogbomosho. Very soon fashola will ask you to remove the Eko in your id and replace it with oyo where you come from.

6 Likes

Re: Fashola To Sack 30,000 Katangowa Traders by geez1: 7:11am On Dec 05, 2012
FreeGlobe: Mr. Femi Adedeji who spoke on behalf of the traders..................

Ekomumu, are you referring to Mr. Femi? So discombulated fashola wan send mr femi back to ogbomosho. Very soon fashola will ask you to remove the Eko in your id and replace it with oyo where you come from.

Little do you know that virtually all markets in Lagos have yorubas as their spokespersons for obvious reasons but brace up for it, we have plans for your criminal brothers that have illegally occupied government land and return to the barren SE every Xmas to boast that they they own Lagos

Yoruba people are truly tolerant. Imagine! 30yrs of illegality condoned

7 Likes

Re: Fashola To Sack 30,000 Katangowa Traders by NegroNtns(m): 7:55am On Dec 05, 2012
In the dispute over land ownership and the rights of domiciliary, the customary statutes and its legacies of native laws will always trunp over privileges promised to individual citizens under the impulse of decrees and constitutional statutes.

I dont know why people expect the Nigerian constitution to invalidate native laws of a land and win for them in a foreign land what that same law is incapable of winning for them on their own soil.

Fvk lipsrsealed
Re: Fashola To Sack 30,000 Katangowa Traders by FreeGlobe(f): 8:30am On Dec 05, 2012
geez*:

Little do you know that virtually all markets in Lagos have yorubas as their spokespersons for obvious reasons but brace up for it, we have plans for your criminal brothers that have illegally occupied government land and return to the barren SE every Xmas to boast that they they own Lagos

Stfu you lunatic! If SE is barren then SW caves has no reproductive organs at all

6 Likes

Re: Fashola To Sack 30,000 Katangowa Traders by FreeGlobe(f): 8:34am On Dec 05, 2012
Fashola is a discombulated fellow, He is eating too much amala these days. irresponsible governor
Re: Fashola To Sack 30,000 Katangowa Traders by drnoel: 8:34am On Dec 05, 2012
geez*:

Am sure u read ur comment before u posted. Why so much hatred of the SE and later u would come and say one Nigeria. Pls people should grow up and try not to allow bitterness or sentiments overshadow u when u post comments. Children read our comments on NL. My little cousin just asked me what u meant and I didn't know what to tell him. Look, now citizenship is the future not indigenicity. Now am not sure how the Lagos land laws are but if it says someone who has occupied a land for 30 yes should have claims to it, what's stops the Lagos state government from trying to keep its promise. This is peoples livelihood we are talking about.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola To Sack 30,000 Katangowa Traders by geez1: 8:46am On Dec 05, 2012
FreeGlobe:
Stfu you lunatic! If SE is barren then SW caves has no reproductive organs at all

You've still not said anything. I need facts and not just noise

drnoel:
Am sure u read ur comment before u posted. Why so much hatred of the SE and later u would come and say one Nigeria. Pls people should grow up and try not to allow bitterness or sentiments overshadow u when u post comments. Children read our comments in NL. My little cousin just asked me what u meant and incident know what to tell him. Look, now citizenship is the future not indigenicity. Now am not sure how the Lagos land laws are but if it says someone who has occupied a land for 30 yes should have claims to it, what's stops the Lagos state government from trying to keep its promise. This is peoples livelihood we are talking about.

Fine. When Akala becomes the governor or Anambra, Tokyo the governor of Abia, Saheed Balogun the governor or Enugu and Pasuma the governor of Imo then come to talk to me about citizenship and I'll gladly embrace it

6 Likes

Re: Fashola To Sack 30,000 Katangowa Traders by drnoel: 9:13am On Dec 05, 2012
geez*:

You've still not said anything. I need facts and not just noise

Fine. When Akala becomes the governor or Anambra, Tokyo the governor of Abia, Saheed Balogun the governor or Enugu and Pasuma the governor of Imo then come to talk to me about citizenship and I'll gladly embrace it
Tell me, who is to stop that from happening. If it can happen, then it will happen. As long as the person has lived there a long time and the law of the land allows it, why not. U people should really grow up cos that is what is pulling Nigeria back. Look, one of my uncles who has lived in Lagos for 40 years was given a chieftaincy and he now moves in the oba of Lagos counsel. His nephew contested for cousellorship and wanted to contest for local government chairmanship. These are Igbo men..

4 Likes

Re: Fashola To Sack 30,000 Katangowa Traders by geez1: 9:36am On Dec 05, 2012
drnoel:
Tell me, who is to stop that from happening. If it can happen, then it will happen. As long as the person has lived there a long time and the law of the land allows it, why not. U people should really grow up cos that is what is pulling Nigeria back. Look, one of my uncles who has lived in Lagos for 40 years was given a chieftaincy and he now moves in the oba of Lagos counsel. His nephew contested for cousellorship and wanted to contest for local government chairmanship. These are Igbo men..

That's simply because Yorubas are tolerant. No matter how many generations a Yorubaman lives in Igboland, you guys will still treat them like crap so the sooner we begin to reciprocate the gesture, the better for us

9 Likes

Re: Fashola To Sack 30,000 Katangowa Traders by NegroNtns(m): 9:43am On Dec 05, 2012
drnoel:

....what chieftaincy title does your uncle have?
Re: Fashola To Sack 30,000 Katangowa Traders by Arcard(m): 9:51am On Dec 05, 2012
If indigenes of lagos truly want ppl 4rm oda state to go eh! Dnt dy knw dat lagos wl bcom dry.any way sha lagos no b d only cty fo naija cme enugu its ok or go to port its better sef.
Re: Fashola To Sack 30,000 Katangowa Traders by Nobody: 9:52am On Dec 05, 2012
geez*:

That's simply because Yorubas are tolerant. No matter how many generations a Yorubaman lives in Igboland, you guys will still treat them like crap so the sooner we begin to reciprocate the gesture, the better for us
Have you been to Igboland before to know they treat yorubas like crap? Or do you just sit there wherever you're and type rubbish from washed keyboard. Like i've said before in another thread, your hate for Igbos will send you to your early grave. Smh

2 Likes

Re: Fashola To Sack 30,000 Katangowa Traders by chiboy1928(m): 10:48am On Dec 05, 2012
I wish if the easterners can come bck to they common sense and relocate bck to the east and develop that place to become better before 5yrs anambra,enugu,abia,imo,ph,delta will be far better than lagos,most lagosians should remember that we make lagos wat it is today!but the problem I have is that our igbo brothers will not one to live lagos,as if they have been caused to remain here most of them are doing a lot of investment here and which is not suppose to be so,they need to go bck to they own state and invest massively that wasting they resources here in lagos, so painful our igbo broda are nt reasoning like an igbo man,only the few igbo are going back home to invest,but someday they will understand that lagos is not worth it,my fellow igbo broda pls go bck home and invest because someday u will never regret takin dt actions igbo,chai,kwenu,kwezionu ohhh!!!
Re: Fashola To Sack 30,000 Katangowa Traders by kingingkinging: 10:49am On Dec 05, 2012
Arcard: If indigenes of lagos truly want ppl 4rm oda state to go eh! Dnt dy knw dat lagos wl bcom dry.any way sha lagos no b d only cty fo naija cme enugu its ok or go to port its better sef.

BETTER INDEED WITH NO GOOD ROAD, NO ENTERTAINMENT AND TOURIST CENTRES, NO BEACH, POOR SECURITY OF LIFE, ETC.

U CANNOT HAVE ANOTHER LAGOS IN NIGERIA TILL ETERNITY, NOT EVEN ABUJA.

CENTER OF EXCELLENCY, NOT BY MOUTH.

EKO O NI BAJE OO.

1 Like

Re: Fashola To Sack 30,000 Katangowa Traders by XFive: 10:56am On Dec 05, 2012
kingingkinging:

BETTER INDEED WITH NO GOOD ROAD, NO ENTERTAINMENT AND TOURIST CENTRES, NO BEACH, POOR SECURITY OF LIFE, ETC.

U CANNOT HAVE ANOTHER LAGOS IN NIGERIA TILL ETERNITY, NOT EVEN ABUJA.

CENTER OF EXCELLENCY, NOT BY MOUTH.

EKO O NI BAJE OO.
Which planet r u from?
Re: Fashola To Sack 30,000 Katangowa Traders by topsyking: 10:56am On Dec 05, 2012
Just as d foool chase dem trader at yaba market...now go n c the market. Non of d market pple can afford d place now
Re: Fashola To Sack 30,000 Katangowa Traders by oraclefemi(m): 10:59am On Dec 05, 2012
Fashola versus the Common man , read at www.femishine..com
Re: Fashola To Sack 30,000 Katangowa Traders by speaktome(m): 11:00am On Dec 05, 2012
One 9jeria indeed. Mtcheeeew
Oga-erukwa!
Re: Fashola To Sack 30,000 Katangowa Traders by Kaxmytex(m): 11:02am On Dec 05, 2012
Chai.....lagos wan reduce dere population by all means
Re: Fashola To Sack 30,000 Katangowa Traders by Nobody: 11:06am On Dec 05, 2012
Eko Ile: lmao.

Eko o ni baje lai lia...

Are u s t u p i d

Laws were made for man and not man for laws. Jesus made that clear.
Re: Fashola To Sack 30,000 Katangowa Traders by gbadexy(m): 11:14am On Dec 05, 2012
It is myopic to wish non lagosians out of the state, I'm a lagosian by the virtue of the fact that •̸Ϟ•̸y great grandfather who was a soldier in oyo empire occupying dahomey then decided to stay in badagry. I collect bursary and benefit from all privileges accorded to indigenes.
Now back to the topic, lagos is developed because of its cosmopolitan nature and not because of its ports, other regions have ports.
It is ironic that the same lagosians that are crying that their population is higher than 9 million and are projecting it to reach 25 million to attain a mega city status would in another breath be saying outsiders should leave.
What makes lagos unique is the population and diversity.
If all non indigents of lagos were to leave, the place would be scanty and the population that ensures huge sales and services that attracts investors would drop and the place would be scanty.

3 Likes

Re: Fashola To Sack 30,000 Katangowa Traders by talktimi(m): 11:14am On Dec 05, 2012
Why are yoruba people so tribalistic everytime ? Even a simple issue like this has been transformed to a tribal attack on igbos. I've travelled to several parts of this country and no other tribe treats a yoruba man the way they treat igbos even in the east the igbos still treat them as brothers. There's something wrong with this country seriously.

1 Like

Re: Fashola To Sack 30,000 Katangowa Traders by ypzilanti: 11:16am On Dec 05, 2012
Democracy means that anybody popular enough can contest and win elections anywhere in Nigeria. Some have done so and succeeded at local government level. One day, somebody will do it at State Government level. Same way Barack Obama won USA elections even though he is an ethnic minority. Nigeria is different, though...we have a lot of ethnic bigots, but a State like Lagos or Abuja (if they eventually start having elections) are very good ground for a minority victory. All that is needed is popularity across all tribal lines. As presently constituted anyone that gets 90 percent vote of Igbos, Hausas and minorities in Lagos just needs about 20 percent vote from yorubas to win.

1 Like

Re: Fashola To Sack 30,000 Katangowa Traders by takedat(m): 11:19am On Dec 05, 2012
It is silly for a government to displace 30000 traders from their source of income, if there is urgent need to build a digital village, the traders should aslo be resettled. A lot of people depend on this second hand clothing and that is also d source of income for others
Re: Fashola To Sack 30,000 Katangowa Traders by drnoel: 11:23am On Dec 05, 2012
geez*:

Its not because Yorubas are tolerant, in as much as I won't argue with u about weather its true or not cos I respect them and their culture. Its rather that my said uncle has invested heavily in their region, built a factory there (mind u, he could have built his factory in the east) and has been sponsoring many of their local events, so his business partners, mostly Yoruba men who he grew up with wanted him to really strike a root there and so he did.
Re: Fashola To Sack 30,000 Katangowa Traders by IleIfe2(m): 11:24am On Dec 05, 2012
Why are igbos always complaining about anything done in Lagos? Traders are illegally occupying government land and the government needs the land. why the long turanci? How has taking back government property become hatred for the south east? na wa ooo

1 Like

Re: Fashola To Sack 30,000 Katangowa Traders by ypzilanti: 11:24am On Dec 05, 2012
Kaxmytex: Chai.....lagos wan reduce dere population by all means

Lagos generates most of its revenue from taxes, hence a policy to drive people away does not favour the government. The government is only interested in driving non-tax paying individuals out.

If other tribes were to leave Lagos, as the bigots in Nairaland advocate, they will be left with huge infrastructure that the state cannot maintain. Travel is a great educator. Visit detroit in USA. A city of over 6 million that now has about 800,000 people. The city cannot maintain the place and is knocking down buildings to create 'green areas'. The police also cannot patrol effectively over a wide area with little population.

Its the population that creates the wealth in Lagos. Anybody selling a product or service knows this to be true. Even if you sell gala, you will know this to be true. But if you are a jobless bigot that has never run a business in your life, you will think its all about driving people away from Lagos so only you can sit and stare at the flyovers and empty office buildings to gloat in your foolishness.

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Restructuring: The 1999 Constitution Should Be Scrapped - Bisi Akande / Simon Bako Lalong Inaugurated Into Office For Second Term (video) / FG Sets Up Two New Satellite Companies Under NIGCOMSAT

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.