Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,189 members, 7,818,617 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:56 PM

Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi (10377 Views)

What Is Federal Character? / To Rescind Federal Character & Quota System: What Are The Merits And Demerits? / To Rescind Federal Character & Quota System: What Are The Merits And Demerits? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by omiobo: 11:09am On Dec 06, 2012
SLS/Fashola are best we have for now but it's a pity tribalism has taken our destiny from our hands.
Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by ndtimmy(m): 11:12am On Dec 06, 2012
YOU CANT JUST PLEASE NIGERIANS. We have constantly accused our public officials of being selfish... Now sm1 raises an issue that is 4 the gud of the public and people still criticize....HYPOCRITES!!!
Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by comm: 11:12am On Dec 06, 2012
Seems his venting back on government for not allowing him to print N5ooo notes
Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by Iolo(m): 11:14am On Dec 06, 2012
Tony Spike: Was this same Sanusi Lamido not appointed CBN governor based on federal character or am I missing something here?

The fact that he speaks against a system he probably benefited from is a plus to the man in my books.
Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by Nobody: 11:16am On Dec 06, 2012
Federal Character isn't the major problem in Nigeria, electricity is. Get us 247 electricity and single digit tax regime and I will quadrupple my networth and hire all the ministers. I will need nothing more from Abuja.
Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by Nobody: 11:16am On Dec 06, 2012
“You have 42, you do cabinet reshuffle and bring in another 42 and I’m sure between 1999 and now, we have had more than 200 ministers and how many of them can we really remember?”

Although the same federal character charter is, undoubtedly, what accounts for Sanusi's meteoric rise within Nigeria's banking sector, he must be applauded for keeping this issue in focus.

The following examples illustrate what happens when a profligate governor decides to replicate mediocrity at state level:

Abia State's 457 special advisers, senior special assistants and personal assistants -- http://odili.net/news/source/2011/jan/21/6.html/

Bayelsa State's 163 political appointees -- http://www.bayelsa.gov.ng/home/government/executive/political-appointees/

Delta State's 114 polticial appointees-- http://deltastate.gov.ng/index.php/political-appointees/political-appointees.html
Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by akintun: 11:17am On Dec 06, 2012
I don't understand why people here would say dat federal character made Sanusi d CBN governor. D man was qualified to be d gov. I personally don't like him, and I feel he his occupying d wrong post, but d truth must be told, dis man speaks d truth. We have people stupidly requesting 4 more states instead of demanding dat d states should be reduced.

1 Like

Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by Nobody: 11:19am On Dec 06, 2012
Joey82:

it takes mor than courage to criticize a system that made u.
give the guy some credit abeg.

You mean the system made him MD of First Bank before he was made CBN governor?
Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by ypzilanti: 11:21am On Dec 06, 2012
We are making more money now than in the so-called 'oil boom' era. We have nothing to show for all the oil money because we are servicing countless local, state and federal officials salaries and entitlements...plus their greedy stealing.
Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by Joey82(m): 11:24am On Dec 06, 2012
TouchDown:

You mean the system made him MD of First Bank before he was made CBN governor?

was only replying the guy that opined SLS was not suppose to criticize the system since his appointment as CBN governor came as a result as federal character.
Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by Nobody: 11:25am On Dec 06, 2012
eGuerrilla:

Although the same federal character charter is, undoubtedly, what accounts for Sanusi's meteoric rise within Nigeria's banking sector, he must be applauded for keeping this issue in focus.

Please can you elucidate on how 'federal character' accounted for Sanusi's rise in the private banking sector?
Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by Nobody: 11:25am On Dec 06, 2012
There should be not more than 2 law makers from a state, 74 law makers in all. Ministries should be scrapped to 12.

1 Like

Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by Standing5(m): 11:27am On Dec 06, 2012
Federal Character probably contributed to Sanusi's rise. A principle that allocates position of power on the basis of population and landmass of regions without cönsidering the availability of capable hands is indeed a wrong principle for Progress.
Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by Oahray: 11:28am On Dec 06, 2012
I hate to admit it, Sanusi is damn right on this one. Nigeria is too wasteful.
Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by ypzilanti: 11:30am On Dec 06, 2012
Billyonaire: Federal Character isn't the major problem in Nigeria, electricity is. Get us 247 electricity and single digit tax regime and I will quadrupple my networth and hire all the ministers. I will need nothing more from Abuja.

If that is what you need, others have needs that are legitimate too. No government in this world is voted in just to provide electricity. That is a very mediocre standard to judge governance.

There are transporters and farmers who need access roads.

There are students who need a better education.

There are sick people who need better medical services.

Entrepreneurs that need better internet connectivity.

The needs are plenty to move the nation forward.

When I hear that government is spending 2.2 billion to build entertainment hall, and spends 9 billion to service and run 10 aircraft, I just shake my head.
Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by Nobody: 11:30am On Dec 06, 2012
Was it federal character sls used to head risk control in first bank?

Was it federal character he used to get a job in uba?

Stop attacking the messenger and focus on the message.

The current structure as is is not sustainable

2 Likes

Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by Demrich(m): 11:31am On Dec 06, 2012
SLS is nt d first person to say this. However federal character is a military orientation in favour of norther nigeria. Wot abt quota system? At present a director in one of d paramilitary department is employing only people from his state. Where then is federal character? Nothing works when there is no social justice.
Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by Localamos(m): 11:36am On Dec 06, 2012
frankzone: If only those who milk us dry will listen! SLS on point!

This same SLS recruited 300 Kano indeegenes into CBN without interview or test.

Hypocrite!
Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by jaybee(f): 11:36am On Dec 06, 2012
comm: its good to lay off, but have you asked where the conserved money will go to? or what the few left in government will do to put food on the table of those laid off. There's more to development than cutting down workforce, it begins in prudent management of available resources, not in waking up to discover more resources can be conserved by laying off workers only to have xcess money for those in position to loot in surplus

[b]That is the point!

We are not sure of those who will manage the 'freed up money' arising from all these money conserving theories; remove subsidy to free money, reduce unproductive and over bloated civil service workforce to save money, reduce number of political appointees to save money, reduce pay package of political office holders to save money, etc, etc, etc.

and i repeat - WHO WILL MANAGE THESE FREE UP MONEY.

are we talking about these same politicians, who can not manage the available resources properly, that will automatically transform to be good managers of bigger money? is it these politicians that have now acquire a high taste for private jets that will manage the freed up money? is it these politicians with 10 presidential jets - and still counting - who will manage the money? is it these same politicians who will eat over 1 billion naira food, in a 2 billion naira new banquet hall, that will manage the free up money, is it the politicians demolishing fully built up estates in abuja to reallocate the plots to themselves that, that will manage the money? these case questions can go on and on endlessly with nigerian politician who, unfortunately, are the custodians of the national wealth, and they decides who gets what. they have proven over and over and over that they are not willing and able to put the resources of this country to proper use for the benefit of the citizenry. they have proved, beyond reasonable doubt, that they can not manage the national wealth. the Bible states clearly in Luke 6:10 http:///l9SEg that "If you are faithful in little things, you will be faithful in large ones. But if you are dishonest in little things, you won’t be honest with greater responsibilities".

So in as much as money may be freed up from the much speculated policy postulations, i strongly doubt the resulting impact on the generality of Nigerian citizens. i mean the impact in business, infrastructure, creation of employment, education, health, better governance, etc.

[/b]
Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by taharqa: 11:37am On Dec 06, 2012
SLS correct die!!
Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by omosexy1: 11:40am On Dec 06, 2012
bjdon:

The fact he may or may not have gained from the system is not the point my brother. The point is the system is WRONG! There are many cases of people changing systems they may have gained from. In the UK the current generation of leaders had their University education system paid for and they actually got grants to go to school. 10 years ago those same people had to cancel the grant because the UK could no longer afford it. They did not say 'hey, I gained from this therefore I can't cancel it' they took the tough option which was in the best interest of the country. That is what leadership is all about. At independence there may well have been some merit in the Federal Character approach to give all sections of the country a sense of belonging, but it has now outlived its usefulness and is actually an impediment to growth and development. Any patriotic lover of the Nation can raise this as SLS has, regardless of if they benefited from it or not.

Commenting on Nairaland is now becoming boring. However, you have assisted me to say what I want to say. Thank you.
Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by Mavrick2012: 11:42am On Dec 06, 2012
If only dis funny mallam wil apreciate dat dis "federal character" was fashiond by n 4 his fellow ilitrate northerners who wil lag behind if goin by merit
Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by Nuges11(m): 11:42am On Dec 06, 2012
For ♍ƺ I fink dis is about d only sensible tin I've heard 4rm SLS in a while.....so sensible dat it almost undoes every senseless tins I've heard 4rm him
Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by DonaldGenes(m): 11:45am On Dec 06, 2012
Joey82:

it takes mor than courage to criticize a system that made u.
give the guy some credit abeg.
You can say that again and again
Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by Arsenate(m): 11:47am On Dec 06, 2012
lacasa: If there is no federal character tomorrow, pipl from places like middle-belt and niger-delta wiill cry segregation, inaccess to opportunities, hausa/igbo/yoruba will dominate govt,...Blah! Blah!.

And vice-versa.. Na wa for my country pipl
the middle belt and the niger-delta have far more educated people than the hausa-fulani core north, so what are you talking about?
Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by bjdon: 11:48am On Dec 06, 2012
omosexy1:

Commenting on Nairaland is now becoming boring. However, you have assisted me to say what I want to say. Thank you.

You are welcome brother, keep the faith, we'll get there
Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by Jarus(m): 11:52am On Dec 06, 2012
Localamos:

This same SLS recruited 300 Kano indeegenes into CBN without interview or test.

Hypocrite!
Lie from hell. It's not possible. Plus the SLS I know in private will never do this! Believe it or not.
Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by Nobody: 11:52am On Dec 06, 2012
SLS is corrupt and too TRIBAL!!!!!!

HE IS NURSING A 2015 AMBITION THAT IS WHY HE IS SPEAKING LIKE THIS!!!!!! LIAR!! YOUR EVIL PLAN NO GO WORK!!!!!!!!!!!

WHEN DEM DEY BOMB PLACES ACROSS THE NORTH, E NO TALK OO, NA WHEN DEM BOMB KANO E DEY DONATE!!!

KO NI DA FUN E!!!
Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by Jarus(m): 11:56am On Dec 06, 2012
Mavrick2012: If only dis funny mallam wil apreciate dat dis "federal character" was fashiond by n 4 his fellow ilitrate northerners who wil lag behind if goin by merit
This is my problem with some of us from the lower part of the Niger. Even people that can barely spell their names come here to tell us someone is illiterate, and that they are more educated than the northerners simply because they are southerners. Some people are still in slumber.

3 Likes

Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by Nobody: 11:57am On Dec 06, 2012
Apologies @TouchDown, as I have neither the time nor wherewithal to expand further on this point today, I would encourage you to speak to any veteran of the banking industry in Nigeria.

I, of course, agree with Sanusi on this issue and many others, in spite of his status as a beneficiary of the system he now rails against.
Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by Jarus(m): 11:58am On Dec 06, 2012
0lumide: SLS is corrupt and too TRIBAL!!!!!!

HE IS NURSING A 2015 AMBITION THAT IS WHY HE IS SPEAKING LIKE THIS!!!!!! LIAR!! YOUR EVIL PLAN NO GO WORK!!!!!!!!!!!

WHEN DEM DEY BOMB PLACES ACROSS THE NORTH, E NO TALK OO, NA WHEN DEM BOMB KANO E DEY DONATE!!!

KO NI DA FUN E!!!
It takes a fool to think someone nursing presidential ambition will call for sack of 50% of national public workforce.

3 Likes

Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by abbakacici: 12:02pm On Dec 06, 2012
Quata system and federal character would be 90 scrap from the constitutions because I don't see the reason why a Igbo guys that studied HND biology will employed at CBN,NDIC or IFRS leaving a yaruba with master in finance and may be ICAN CFA just because the number of IGBOs in dat organization are not much or a Hausa that studied BA Hausa will employed in nnpc just because of quata system and federal character leaving thousands of master degree in petroleum management or engineer holder from other zone. The only time federal chracter should be used is from a person from example from kano and edo have the same qualification and they have similar marks in test and interview and edo state has none or little people working in that organasation as compare to kano then the person from edo should employed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Adedayo Benjamins-Laniyi Picks APC Nomination For Abuja Senate Seat / Obi Appoints Bob Manuel As SSA. / Can The North Wait Till 2027 If Yar Adua Dies? Yar adua Getting Lean Save 15mil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.