Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,836 members, 7,810,214 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:10 AM

Nigeria 7th Most Terrorised Nation In The World... - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria 7th Most Terrorised Nation In The World... (7547 Views)

Nigeria’s 7th Senate proceedings was like beer parlour discussions – Senator Ndu / Political Cartoon: Buhari The Snail, A Nation In Waiting - Sahara Reporters / Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria 7th Most Terrorised Nation In The World... by Localamos(m): 6:13am On Dec 06, 2012
LAGOS — FROM a disturbing position of 16, four years ago, Nigeria has sank deeper into the abyss of terrorism and is now the seventh most-terrorised country in the world, according to the latest ranking of the Global Terrorism Index (GTI).

From the 16th slot in 2008, Nigeria went down to 11 in 2009; 12 in 2010; and now seven with a GTI of 7.24. According to the report, Nigeria recorded 168 incidents of terrorism in 2011 from which 437 persons died, 614 persons sustained injuries and 33 property were destroyed.

Nigeria is worse than Sudan, which is ranked 11th and Mali (34th).

Ahead of Nigeria on the index are Iraq (9.56), Pakistan (9.05), Afghanistan (8.67), India (8.15), Yemen (7.30) and Somali (7.24)

Of the 158 countries, 43 are free of terrorism. They include Burkina Faso, Brazil, Congo Republic, Gabon, Ghana, Jamaica, Gambia, Liberia, North Korea, South Korea, Poland, Uruguay, Singapore and Zambia.

Produced by the Institute for Economics and Peace, the GTI maps and analyzes trends in terrorism over the last 10 years and systematically ranks and compares 158 countries according to the impact of terrorism. The index is based on data from the Global Terrorism Database (GTD) from the National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism, START, at the University of Maryland.

The GTI uses four indicators to measure the impact of terrorism: the number of terrorist incidents, the number of deaths, the number of casualties and the level of property damage.

These indicators are used to create a weighted five year average for each country, which takes into account the lasting effects of terrorism. The score given to each country therefore indicates the impact of a terrorist attack on a society in terms of the fear and subsequent security response.

According to the report, from 2002 to 2011, North America was the region least likely to suffer from terrorism. Other findings include:

• While more terrorist attacks are being recorded, the number of fatalities has declined by 25 per cent since 2007.

• Only 31 out of 158 countries ranked have not experienced a terrorist attack since 2002

• Most terrorist attacks occur in the context of a wider conflict situation

• Since the start of the Iraq invasion the number of terrorist incidents occurring each year has increased fourfold, globally

• In 2011 Iraq was the country that was most impacted by terrorism, followed by Pakistan and Afghanistan

www.vanguardngr.com/2012/12/nigeria-now-7th-most-terrorised-nation-in-the-world-gti/
Re: Nigeria 7th Most Terrorised Nation In The World... by Omexonomy: 6:33am On Dec 06, 2012
S.t.u.p.i.d people When will you people stop all this "ogogoro joint'' talk nigerian is this nigerian is that.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria 7th Most Terrorised Nation In The World... by Nwoka(m): 9:45am On Dec 06, 2012
At least they've not killed any of our politicians(thieves) so its not that bad :-D
Re: Nigeria 7th Most Terrorised Nation In The World... by Nobody: 9:45am On Dec 06, 2012
JCN.
Re: Nigeria 7th Most Terrorised Nation In The World... by Wendyslim(f): 9:45am On Dec 06, 2012
May GOD help us ooooo.. Dem no rate us for better tin na terrorism. Hmmmmmm undecided undecided undecided :-
Re: Nigeria 7th Most Terrorised Nation In The World... by Joey82(m): 9:49am On Dec 06, 2012
This sinking ship is certainly going down low.
we may criticize the ratings but frankly this aint far from the truth.
Omexonomy: S.t.u.p.i.d people When will you people stop all this "ogogoro joint'' talk nigerian is this nigerian is that.
Re: Nigeria 7th Most Terrorised Nation In The World... by mkmyers45(m): 9:49am On Dec 06, 2012
Not in the least surprising...
Re: Nigeria 7th Most Terrorised Nation In The World... by Redmosquito(m): 9:50am On Dec 06, 2012
Minion: Your Evilness! Nigeria has been ranked among top ten terrorist nations
Hades: Oh Please! What was the criteria for ranking? Was it price of royal meal?
Minion: Ummmm..

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria 7th Most Terrorised Nation In The World... by greall1: 9:50am On Dec 06, 2012
Congrat
pls don't insult me.
It just what on my mind
Re: Nigeria 7th Most Terrorised Nation In The World... by dbilz(m): 9:52am On Dec 06, 2012
Imagine! Nigeria more terrorized than a country like sudan. soon it wuld be like d afghanistans and d stan countries. soon bombs wld be seen everywhere like pure water sachet because of our blindfold minds to see tru d evils perpetrated by our selfish and greedy fools called leaders.
Re: Nigeria 7th Most Terrorised Nation In The World... by babarazy: 9:55am On Dec 06, 2012
rafhell: Gradually gradually, we shall get to the number one spot. Insha allah.
Must u show us how stupid and heartless u are?
Re: Nigeria 7th Most Terrorised Nation In The World... by omiobo: 9:58am On Dec 06, 2012
It's too early for bad news.
*cover my eye and my ears*
Re: Nigeria 7th Most Terrorised Nation In The World... by stantob(m): 9:59am On Dec 06, 2012
That's not a good one.When will our leaders wake up?Ghanaian leaders took the challenge, Liberia that is just returnig from war have learnt some lessons and sitting up.Nigeria with all the riches want to have the brand name "TERRORIST" Why, because we want to enmass wealth for our 1st 2nd 3rd 4th, even 100 generation.Our leaders should wake up.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria 7th Most Terrorised Nation In The World... by emilyone(f): 10:01am On Dec 06, 2012
chei! Naija, always representing angry

1 Like

Re: Nigeria 7th Most Terrorised Nation In The World... by RedLight1: 10:02am On Dec 06, 2012
that awkward moment that i wish Nigeria amalgamation with north never happen . . . . its just like amalgamating UK with Somalia, wondering what luggard was thinking

1 Like

Re: Nigeria 7th Most Terrorised Nation In The World... by Nobody: 10:05am On Dec 06, 2012
at least we are famous(known for something) there are countries we never know they exist, recently i came across countries like Nagorno-Karabakh Republic, Republic of Vanuatu, etc. i am proudly a Nigerian good or bad.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria 7th Most Terrorised Nation In The World... by Gee001: 10:13am On Dec 06, 2012
I blame Lugard
Re: Nigeria 7th Most Terrorised Nation In The World... by tomakint: 10:14am On Dec 06, 2012
This news is a belated one! undecided Anyway thanks for giving Nigeria her due recognition at last, I have been waiting for this news for a long time may be by next year we should be in the 3rd position!
Re: Nigeria 7th Most Terrorised Nation In The World... by Abyjah: 10:16am On Dec 06, 2012
This people can't get enough of Nigeria! Them just dey follow follow us.

They might be right though. No thanks to the Boko Boys.
Re: Nigeria 7th Most Terrorised Nation In The World... by elzi(f): 10:18am On Dec 06, 2012
thanks to boko haram members
Re: Nigeria 7th Most Terrorised Nation In The World... by mrkels(m): 10:19am On Dec 06, 2012
It would eventually kill our economy.
Evil prevails when fools like our leaders do nothing.
Lemme start thinking of relocating. Can't give birth to kids into this unsecured corrupt nation. Nonesense
Re: Nigeria 7th Most Terrorised Nation In The World... by franchizy(m): 10:31am On Dec 06, 2012
I think wit dis development or ranking, Nigerians should vote Buhari in 2015 so he wil bring us back to the promised land. Insha Allah

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Governors Ask Review Revenue Sharing Formula / Lagos 2019: Vote Out Thugs And Undesirable Elements — Agbaje / Buhari Commiserates With Bayonga Family Over Death Of HRH Danjuma Bayonga

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.