Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,224 members, 7,818,766 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:23 AM

PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} (37827 Views)

PHOTO: Christian Pope With Vodun Chief Priest / How Hindu Gods Became Overlapped With Vodun Gods In West Africa / Bini Or Esan Traditional Religon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:52pm On Jun 14, 2013
JesusisLord85:

We are all Israelites. God will gather us together near the end. Praise the almighty.
Please, no backlash grin

go die slave. i wish you were shipped to slavery in the americas. that would teach you a lesson or two. you can worship jewish god there.

1 Like

Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by JesusisLord85: 8:45pm On Jun 14, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

go die slave. i wish you were shipped to slavery in the americas. that would teach you a lesson or two. you can worship jewish god there.

hahaha you crack me up brother. Hope all is well smiley
Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:46pm On Jun 14, 2013
JesusisLord85:

hahaha you crack me up brother. Hope all is well smiley

all is well by the grace of the Almighty Gods. wink

1 Like

Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by Nobody: 9:20pm On Jun 14, 2013
But why did this vodun religion not stop the slave trade and the colonization of West Africa?
Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by MamiWata: 9:22pm On Jun 14, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
Its not that Vodun absorbed from Ifa Orisha or vice-versa. Both religions have the same roots since the ethnic groups I listed, that practice it (Yoruba, Ewe, etc.,) have common roots that can probably be traced back to the Great Migrations in the past.

Its almost the same thing. just slight differences in terminology,etc. However if you are Beninese, its best to be initiated into Vodun. Over here, Yorubas are initiated into Ifa Orisha.

Initiation is not necessary. If you belong to those ethnic groups, you just need to follow the religion and pray to those Gods and take part in those rituals, etc.

Hmmm so Fon and Yoruba are related? Well that makes sense and given the similarities of vodun and Yoruba religions it also makes sense that they have a common root. I feel like I am learning things in the states that are not true if this is the case. For example there are many homosexuals who practice vodun because they say it is accepting of homosexuality whereas Yoruba religion is not. Also I was told that women priestesses are allowed in vodun but not in Yoruba religion. I would prefer to learn about these things in Benin instead and am investigating that right now. Did you take these pictures in Benin? Where did you go? How open are the people to sharing traditions?
Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:28pm On Jun 14, 2013
MamiWata:

Hmmm so Fon and Yoruba are related? Well that makes sense and given the similarities of vodun and Yoruba religions it also makes sense that they have a common root. I feel like I am learning things in the states that are not true if this is the case. For example there are many homosexuals who practice vodun because they say it is accepting of homosexuality whereas Yoruba religion is not. Also I was told that women priestesses are allowed in vodun but not in Yoruba religion. I would prefer to learn about these things in Benin instead and am investigating that right now. Did you take these pictures in Benin? Where did you go? How open are the people to sharing traditions?

Yes they are.

now again, homo.sexuality laws do not depend on Yoruba religon. it is neither for nor against it. it is independant of it.
the laws on homos.exuality depend on the society/community/national/tribal laws.

No there are women priestesses in both Vodun and Ifa Orisha, though Vodun encourages women more.

No I am Hausa. These pics were lent by a friend whos friend is a priest there. THey are open as long as you are one of their people. just go and speak to them. you have wont have to search much. they are very popular. These pics are from Ouidah.

2 Likes

Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by MamiWata: 3:18am On Jun 15, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

just go and speak to them. you have wont have to search much. they are very popular. These pics are from Ouidah.

Thanks I have been to Ouidah before and can't wait to return.

1 Like

Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:53pm On Jun 15, 2013
MamiWata:

Thanks I have been to Ouidah before and can't wait to return.
'

that makes it easier for you. you are welcome! wink

1 Like

Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by alanmwene: 8:26pm On Jun 15, 2013
MrBible: But why did this vodun religion not stop the slave trade and the colonization of West Africa?
Why ddnt yavhe stop the extermination of jews by the Nazis?Why didn't yavhe stops the execution of jesus his only "son"?
Why didn't yavhe stops the destruction of the temple of david and the enslavement of the jews by the romans?

4 Likes

Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by alanmwene: 8:39pm On Jun 15, 2013
rick.ross:
I do respect peoples opinion, but can you pagans and idol worshipers make your points without cursing black people.

Its on record most countries that worship idol/voddoo are the most backward on earth, look at Haiti for example. Togo and Benin are good examples as well. In Togo and Benin 90% of their footballers do these things in the hope of getting good clubs overseas, but behind their back theyf know its wrong.

If the God these people are worshiping is true and good God why are they poorer than poor?

If you look closely, most people that do these things are either fake Christians or fake Muslims. Look at some of them with Muslim chaplets, what does that tell you? It is not that they do not know that there is only one true God (JEHOVAH) These mostly illiterate people worship juju to get quick fame/power.

I am Igbo, our fore fathers did similar things. My grand father died at the age of over 100 years. Before he died he confirmed that they used to perform similar sacrifices to the God of sun of thunder etc. My grandfather confirmed that even before the white men came to Nigeria with their religion, they already know that THERE IS ONE SUPREME GOD THAT CREATED THE HEAVENS AND THE EARTH.
Japaneses practice Shintoism ( the cult of the great goddess) which is no different from the worship of voodons and orishas,but japan is the most technically advanced country on earth.Are you going to compare japan to Israel?

1 Like

Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:17pm On Jun 15, 2013
EXACTLY. SHINTOISM IS JAPANESE TRADITIONAL RELIGION. ALMOST SAME LIKE VODUN.

1 Like

Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by TerryCarr(m): 10:43pm On Jun 15, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
EXACTLY. SHINTOISM IS JAPANESE TRADITIONAL RELIGION. ALMOST SAME LIKE VODUN.
nope
Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by TerryCarr(m): 10:44pm On Jun 15, 2013
MrBible: But why did this vodun religion not stop the slave trade and the colonization of West Africa?
why doesn't Jesus stop the poverty in Africa?
Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:57pm On Jun 15, 2013
TerryCarr:
nope

yes it is. please dont see the physical similarities. see the spiritual and ritual similarities.

1 Like

Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by JesusisLord85: 10:58pm On Jun 15, 2013
TerryCarr:
why doesn't Jesus stop the poverty in Africa?

Read the curses upon the Israelites for disobeying God in Deuteronomy 28, and you will know why our people suffer. But look up, God shall gather his lost sheep smiley
Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:04pm On Jun 15, 2013
JesusisLord85:

Read the curses upon the Israelites for disobeying God in Deuteronomy 28, and you will know why our people suffer . But look up, God shall gather his lost sheep smiley

you are from israel I gather. why are you snooping around in this Nigerian forum?
Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by JesusisLord85: 11:09pm On Jun 15, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

you are from israel I gather. why are you snooping around in this Nigerian forum?

hahahah if we were not worshipping different God's, I'm sure you and I would be great friends.
I am a yoruba man, but before I was a yoruba man, I was probably from ancient Israel. We migrated after fleeing from the babylonians, and also after 70ad smiley
Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:16pm On Jun 15, 2013
JesusisLord85:

hahahah if we were not worshipping different God's, I'm sure you and I would be great friends.
I am a yoruba man, but before I was a yoruba man, I was probably from ancient Israel. We migrated after fleeing from the babylonians, and also after 70ad smiley

Dont worry we are not far from friendship. Ifa Orisha is getting stronger in your parts. wink

so why did your ancestors flee from civilization and land in the jungles of Africa? they mustve been crazy yes?

also how did they become black in a span of lets see. .. ..1000 years or so?

1 Like

Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by JesusisLord85: 11:27pm On Jun 15, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

Dont worry we are not far from friendship. Ifa Orisha is getting stronger in your parts. wink

so why did your ancestors flee from civilization and land in the jungles of Africa? they mustve been crazy yes?

also how did they become black in a span of lets see. .. ..1000 years or so?

The fled persecution, in the case of the 70ad.
They fled the babylonians, because their leaders killed the man the babylonian King put over them. God told them not to go into Egypt (Jeremiah 42 and 43).
Jeremiah 42: " then hear the word of the Lord, you remnant of Judah. This is what the Lord Almighty, the God of Israel, says: ‘If you are determined to go to Egypt and you do go to settle there, 16 then the sword you fear will overtake you there, and the famine you dread will follow you into Egypt, and there you will die. 17 Indeed, all who are determined to go to Egypt to settle there will die by the sword, famine and plague; not one of them will survive or escape the disaster I will bring on them.’ 18 This is what the Lord Almighty, the God of Israel, says: ‘As my anger and wrath have been poured out on those who lived in Jerusalem, so will my wrath be poured out on you when you go to Egypt. You will be a curse[b] and an object of horror, a curse[c] and an object of reproach; you will never see this place again.’

To address your second question brother, the truth is the ancient Hebrews were black. The romans hijacked the spread of christianity and planted lies; that Jesus is white etc. But the bible has many verses that prove conclusively that the hebrews were black.
The question you probably want to ask is why the so-called Jews today are white. And I have the answer if you would like me to explain? smiley
Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:37pm On Jun 15, 2013
JesusisLord85:

They fled the babylonians, because their leaders killed the man the babylonian King put over them. God told them not to go into Egypt (Jeremiah 42 and 43).
Jeremiah 42: " then hear the word of the Lord, you remnant of Judah. This is what the Lord Almighty, the God of Israel, says: ‘If you are determined to go to Egypt and you do go to settle there, 16 then the sword you fear will overtake you there, and the famine you dread will follow you into Egypt, and there you will die. 17 Indeed, all who are determined to go to Egypt to settle there will die by the sword, famine and plague; not one of them will survive or escape the disaster I will bring on them.’ 18 This is what the Lord Almighty, the God of Israel, says: ‘As my anger and wrath have been poured out on those who lived in Jerusalem, so will my wrath be poured out on you when you go to Egypt. You will be a curse[b] and an object of horror, a curse[c] and an object of reproach; you will never see this place again.’

To address your second question brother, the truth is the ancient Hebrews were black. The romans hijacked the spread of christianity and planted lies; that Jesus is white etc. But the bible has many verses that prove conclusively that the hebrews were black.
The question you probably want to ask is why the so-called Jews today are white. And I have the answer if you would like me to explain? smiley

so they fled all the way to Nigeria. I see. do you have an idea of the distance travelled (that too no aeroplanes back then). and them surviving through all the savage tribes on the way and then reproducing. ok lets leave that for now.

so you think this world is made up of only black and white, eh? I see.

IMHO jesus was light brown semitic guy or white like the levantines of today.

so now you said all these hebrews/israelistes, etc., were black. so all these hebrew dudes, if the migrated during 70 AD, they were certianly JEWS, yes?

so why did they come to Africa and found a new Pagan religion and leave Judaism

no i dont need explanation as to why todays jews are white. we all know they are mixed with europeans/khazars, these ashkenazis.

1 Like

Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by JesusisLord85: 12:00am On Jun 16, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

so they fled all the way to Nigeria. I see. do you have an idea of the distance travelled (that too no aeroplanes back then). and them surviving through all the savage tribes on the way and then reproducing. ok lets leave that for now.

so you think this world is made up of only black and white, eh? I see.

IMHO jesus was light brown semitic guy or white like the levantines of today.

so now you said all these hebrews/israelistes, etc., were black. so all these hebrew dudes, if the migrated during 70 AD, they were certianly JEWS, yes?

so why did they come to Africa and found a new Pagan religion and leave Judaism

no i dont need explanation as to why todays jews are white. we all know they are mixed with europeans/khazars, these ashkenazis.

I'm glad you mention ashkenzi. Ashkenaz was a son of Japheth, not schem. These guys are fakes.
The remnant that went to african in Jeremiah 42/43, they were steeped in idolatry.

Jeremiah 44:16-18 " “We will not listen to the message you have spoken to us in the name of the Lord! 17 We will certainly do everything we said we would: We will burn incense to the Queen of Heaven and will pour out drink offerings to her just as we and our ancestors, our kings and our officials did in the towns of Judah and in the streets of Jerusalem. At that time we had plenty of food and were well off and suffered no harm. 18 But ever since we stopped burning incense to the Queen of Heaven and pouring out drink offerings to her, we have had nothing and have been perishing by sword and famine.”

How did they come to be displaced, while in Egypt? WAR..See passage below
Jeremiah 43:8-11 "‘This is what the Lord Almighty, the God of Israel, says: I will send for my servant Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon, and I will set his throne over these stones I have buried here; he will spread his royal canopy above them. 11 He will come and attack Egypt, bringing death to those destined for death, captivity to those destined for captivity, and the sword to those destined for the sword."

Some of the traditions they carried with them. The Israelites would see the priest, who would then speak to God on their behalf. This is how it is with traditional religions. Pouring of drink offerings. Circumcision of males on 8th day. It is a tougher task to find the lost tribes that were carried off into Assyria (2 Kings 17). They went eastward towards china, and also all over the earth.

I have bible passages to prove the Israelites of bible were black. So Jesus had to be black too
Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by MamiWata: 1:55am On Jun 16, 2013
Old Benin republic grew rich from the slave trade and therefore had no desire to stop it. In fact some of the royalty discussed ways to ship slaves themselves without European intermediaries. Vodun didn't prevent colonization but colonization also didn't stop vodun.

1 Like

Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by TerryCarr(m): 7:50am On Jun 16, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

yes it is. please dont see the physical similarities. see the spiritual and ritual similarities.
explain undecided
Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by TerryCarr(m): 7:54am On Jun 16, 2013
JesusisLord85:

Read the curses upon the Israelites for disobeying God in Deuteronomy 28, and you will know why our people suffer. But look up, God shall gather his lost sheep smiley
even if the Israelites were black (which i doubt and Ethiopia is not proof) what does that haft to do with the rest of the Continent?
Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by JesusisLord85: 2:02pm On Jun 16, 2013
TerryCarr: even if the Israelites were black (which i doubt and Ethiopia is not proof) what does that haft to do with the rest of the Continent?

My brother, the Israelites were black because the bible says so.
I explained using scripture how the Judean remnant came to be in Egypt and then from there, fled Egypt and moved deeper into the continent, after the Babylonians attacked Egypt. From there, the slave trade took many further afield, even to "the islands of the sea".

Job 30:30 My skin is black upon me, and my bones are burned with heat.

Son 1:5 [King Solomon:] I am black, but comely, O ye daughters of Jerusalem, as the tents of Kedar, as the curtains of Solomon. Son 1:6 Look not upon me, because I am black, because the sun hath looked upon me:

Jer 14:2 Judah mourneth, and the gates thereof languish; they are black unto the ground; and the cry of Jerusalem is gone up.

Lam 4:8 Their visage is blacker than a coal; they are not known in the streets:

Lam 5:10 Our skin was black like an oven because of the terrible famine.

Exo 4:6 And the LORD said furthermore unto [Moses], Put now thine hand into thy bosom. And he put his hand into his bosom: and when he took it out, behold, his hand was leprous as snow.

Exo 4:7 And he said, Put thine hand into thy bosom again. And he put his hand into his bosom again; and plucked it out of his bosom, and, behold, it was turned again as his other flesh.

Num 12:10 And the cloud departed from off the tabernacle; and, behold, Miriam became leprous, white as snow: and Aaron looked upon Miriam, and, behold, she was leprous.

Act 13:1 Now there were in the church that was at Antioch certain prophets and teachers; as Barnabas, and Simeon that was called Niger

Act 21:38 Art not thou that Egyptian…
Act 21:39 But Paul said, I am a man which am a Jew of Tarsus

Rev 1:14 [Christ’s] head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow…

Rev 1:15 And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace…

Any more questions? Glad to answer smiley

Shalom
Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by alanmwene: 3:17pm On Jun 16, 2013
JesusisLord85:

You were in yavhe own territory(israel) yet he failed to protect you against oppression ?Does that make sense to you?So you left yahve own land and went to live among savages? when are you going back home?Real Africans want to use the land you are occupying right now for agriculture!

1 Like

Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by JesusisLord85: 3:43pm On Jun 16, 2013
alanmwene:
You were in yavhe own territory(israel) yet he failed to protect you against oppression ?Does that make sense to you?So you left yahve own land and went to live among savages? when are you going back home?Real Africans want to use the land you are occupying right now for agriculture!

Friend, are you aware you are just exposing your ignorance?
Better to remain silent and let others think you are foolish, than to open your mouth and erase all doubt
The oppression was punishment for their idolatry. But he told them not to enter Egypt, and not to fear Babylon, that he would protect them. They disobeyed, to their peril.
God himself will gather his people. There are many people who are descendants of Jacob, that don't know it. So God will do the gathering.

Shalom
Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:22pm On Jun 16, 2013
TerryCarr:
explain undecided

similarities:

-dont have man-founder. existed since the formation of the tribes, millions of years ago.
-ethnic religions. you must have a full-blooded ethnic group to belong to one.
-belief in plurality of Higher Powers.
-belief in worship of higher powers through the creations/nature and worship of Spiritual realm through material objects. (idolatory,etc.)
-Ritualism.
-sacrifice.
-belief in basic Pagan concept of balancing of forces.
-Pure SPirituality free from laws/moral issues.
-Same/similar basic Pantheon of Gods.
-combining science with religion, in particular, astronomy and astrology.
-spirit possession, exorcism, masquerading, worship through dance , music, etc.
-combined with the cultural practices of the respective ethnic groups.
-creation myth central to and only explaining the creation of the ethnic group.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:38pm On Jun 16, 2013
JesusisLord85:

I'm glad you mention ashkenzi. Ashkenaz was a son of Japheth, not schem. These guys are fakes.
The remnant that went to african in Jeremiah 42/43, they were steeped in idolatry.

Jeremiah 44:16-18 " “We will not listen to the message you have spoken to us in the name of the Lord! 17 We will certainly do everything we said we would: We will burn incense to the Queen of Heaven and will pour out drink offerings to her just as we and our ancestors, our kings and our officials did in the towns of Judah and in the streets of Jerusalem. At that time we had plenty of food and were well off and suffered no harm. 18 But ever since we stopped burning incense to the Queen of Heaven and pouring out drink offerings to her, we have had nothing and have been perishing by sword and famine.”

How did they come to be displaced, while in Egypt? WAR..See passage below
Jeremiah 43:8-11 "‘This is what the Lord Almighty, the God of Israel, says: I will send for my servant Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon, and I will set his throne over these stones I have buried here; he will spread his royal canopy above them. 11 He will come and attack Egypt, bringing death to those destined for death, captivity to those destined for captivity, and the sword to those destined for the sword."

Some of the traditions they carried with them. The Israelites would see the priest, who would then speak to God on their behalf. This is how it is with traditional religions. Pouring of drink offerings. Circumcision of males on 8th day. It is a tougher task to find the lost tribes that were carried off into Assyria (2 Kings 17). They went eastward towards china, and also all over the earth.

I have bible passages to prove the Israelites of bible were black. So Jesus had to be black too

What do you mean by steeped in Idolatory? ok lets say for discussions sake that they were. However the Israelites had different Gods like Baal, etc.

whereas the Yorubas have different Gods like SHango, etc.

So why did they come to Yorubaland, form a new religion, new Gods, new language ,etc., why did they abandon their old religion

and pouring libation, consulting the oracle, etc., are centripedal to all Pagan religions. so this doesnt prove anything. THere are millions of Pagan religions in the world.

btw Nebuchadnezzar existed before jesus. so why would the people who lived after jesus and during his tim; these so-called black israelistes migrate

you said the migration happened earlier.

1 Like

Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by JesusisLord85: 6:34pm On Jun 16, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

What do you mean by steeped in Idolatory? ok lets say for discussions sake that they were. However the Israelites had different Gods like Baal, etc.

whereas the Yorubas have different Gods like SHango, etc.

So why did they come to Yorubaland, form a new religion, new Gods, new language ,etc., why did they abandon their old religion

and pouring libation, consulting the oracle, etc., are centripedal to all Pagan religions. so this doesnt prove anything. THere are millions of Pagan religions in the world.

btw Nebuchadnezzar existed before jesus. so why would the people who lived after jesus and during his tim; these so-called black israelistes migrate

you said the migration happened earlier.

Yes they worshipped the gods of the people who used to live in the land of Canaan, the people God told them to overthrow. God was angry because of this idolatry. The ghanaians and the yorubas are the same people. But to the untrained ear, their languages have no connection. A linguist will tell you there is a link. My point is, over 2000 years, much would have happened to alter dialects etc. I am not an expert in that area. BUT the book I mention "the Call to the Hebrews" goes into detail about these things. I urge you brother, to consider reading it. If you decide it is all nonsense, that is fine, but I think it brings great insights.

The ones before Jesus fled from the King of Babylon, Nebuchadnesser led one of the greatest empires, he was feared.
The Judeans AFTER Jesus fled in 70ad when the Romans came and destroyed the temple and killed many of the Hebrew people. Many of those found themselves in Egypt, among other places.

One of the references in the book talks about an encounter between a white explorer from europe, and Mohammed Bello.Mohammed Bello told the european man that the yoruba were thought to descend from the land of Canaan, and they migrated to this land, setting up towns everywhere they stopped along the way. So many other countries in Africa will have Hebrews e.g. the Lemba in Zimbabwe. 2000 years is a LONG time to get around.

Shalom smiley
Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by mcfynest(m): 6:39pm On Jun 16, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
wish dis religion cud b properly structured

1 Like

Re: PICTURES: VODUN RELIGON - Benin & Togo {west Africa} by TerryCarr(m): 8:21pm On Jun 16, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

similarities:

-dont have man-founder. existed since the formation of the tribes, millions of years ago.
-ethnic religions. you must have a full-blooded ethnic group to belong to one.
-belief in plurality of Higher Powers.
-belief in worship of higher powers through the creations/nature and worship of Spiritual realm through material objects. (idolatory,etc.)
-Ritualism.
-sacrifice.
-belief in basic Pagan concept of balancing of forces.
-Pure SPirituality free from laws/moral issues.
-Same/similar basic Pantheon of Gods.
-combining science with religion, in particular, astronomy and astrology.
-spirit possession, exorcism, masquerading, worship through dance , music, etc.
-combined with the cultural practices of the respective ethnic groups.
-creation myth central to and only explaining the creation of the ethnic group.
a lot of non Islamic/Christian religions in the world are like that so it is not unique but any way shinto still has a lot of differences. Shinto is based on belief in, and worship of, Kami

The best English translation of kami is 'spirits', but this is an over-simplification of a complex concept - kami can be elements of the landscape or forces of nature.

Kami are close to human beings and respond to human prayers. They can influence the course of natural forces, and human events.

Shinto tradition says that there are eight million million kami in Japan.

Not all kami are good - some are thoroughly evil.

The concept of kami is hard to explain.

Shintoists would say that this is because human beings are simply incapable of forming a true understanding of the nature of kami.

To make understanding easier kami are often described as divine beings, as spirits or gods. But kami are not much like the gods of other faiths:

Kami are not divine like the transcendent and omnipotent deities found in many religions.
Kami are not omnipotent.
Kami are not perfect - they sometimes make mistakes and behave badly.
Kami are not inherently different in kind from human beings or nature - they are just a higher manifestation of the life energy... an extraordinary or awesome version.
Kami don't exist in a supernatural universe - they live in the same world as human beings and the world of nature

Kami include the gods that created the universe, but can also include:

The spirits that inhabit many living beings
Some beings themselves
Elements of the landscape, like mountains and lakes
Powerful forces of nature, like storms and earthquakes
human beings who became kami after their deaths
Amaterasu seems to be the greatest of the kami

i will post more later

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Man Shoots At Jehovah Witnesses For Visiting / FCMB Advertises For RCCG Offering And Tithe Payment? / Mbaka Removed From Adoration Ministry, Replaced, Sent To Monastery (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.