Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,521 members, 7,826,959 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 12:57 AM

FG Presents Scorecard In Fight Against Corruption- Thisday Live - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Presents Scorecard In Fight Against Corruption- Thisday Live (830 Views)

President Buhari Presents 10-Months Scorecard / Court Orders DSS To Produce Nnamdi Kanu On November 23 - Thisday Live / Elrufai Presents Scorecard After 1 Month (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Presents Scorecard In Fight Against Corruption- Thisday Live by Nobody: 11:21pm On Dec 08, 2012
Chuks Okocha

Ripples from the Transparency International Corruption Perceptions IndexReport 2012, which ranked Nigeria as the 35th most corrupt nation out of 176 countries surveyed has forced the President Goodluck Jonathan government to release what could be described as the scorecard of the administration in its fight against corruption.
Also, the presidency has described the Transparency International report as a wake up call for the Jonathanadministration to increase the tempo in stemming corrupt practices in the country.
Reeling out details of the administration’s crusade against graft, the Special Assistant to the President on Public Affairs, Dr. Doyin Okupe listed what the president has done quietly inthe oil subsidy scheme, pension, power and electoralreforms, and in the management and distribution of fertilizer that have eliminated inefficiency, corruption and instituted fundamental institutional reforms.
Okupe said: “The Jonathan administration has uncovered fraud through thedetection and deletion of over 73,000 ghost/fake pensioners from the Head of Service/Police Pension Office;recovery and saving over N225 billion from the two pension offices; capturing the biometric data of over 170,000 pensioners; halting the monthly theft of over N4 billion from the national treasury; reducing fraud by saving over N500 million monthly through the police pension releases, which represents 50 per cent of theN1 billion disbursed monthly in the past; and the discoveryof over 50,000 unpaid pensioners and immediate payment of their entitlements.”
Also, Okupe said that the Federal Government discovered a fraud of over N2.7 billion by the Nigeria Union of Pensioners and the seizure of about 200 properties, including choice hotels and cash worth billions of naira from corruptpublic officials.
This, he said, had led to the arrest and on-going prosecution of pension fraudsuspects by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), as well as the introduction of a more efficient tamper-proof pension funds management system.
According to the president’s aide, “I must add that the pension reform resulted in a reduction in recurrent expenditure, as the sum of N74 billion was factored intothe 2013 budget from funds recovered by the Task Team.”
He also singled out the signing of the Freedom of Information (FOI) Act and thereforms within the power sector as one of the most fundamental battles against corruption by the Jonathan administration.
“The unbundling of the Power Holding Company of Nigeria into 18 successor companies and the open processes of privatising them are the hallmarks of modern government transactions, which Nigeria had brought into being,” he said, explaining that the Federal Government under Jonathan has developed a heart of stone and the needed political will more than any other president in Nigeria to fight corruption.
Okupe further gave the thumbs up to the president in the prosecution of the oil thieves, saying, “It is on record that the son of the national chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) is among those currently being prosecuted in the oil subsidy scandal,” asking, “if this is not political will, what then is political will?”
He said that of the over N2 trillion spent on oil subsidy, N232 billion has been investigated and paid. He also blamed the current fuel shortages as blackmail by oil marketers, who want to believe that “it is business as usual”.
He said: “It is on record that only the NNPC is currently importing 60-65 per cent of fuel, because the oil marketers intend to use the importation of fuel as a means of blackmail against the Federal Government.”
Okupe added that because ofthe demonstrated capacity ofthe Jonathan administration against corruption, between January and October 2012, over N670 billion has been saved by the Petroleum Products Price Regulating Agency (PPPRA), and a stringent order has been given to the Nigerian Navy under Admiral Dele Ezeoba tohalt crude oil theft.
“The on-going implementation of this and the determination to do the same for the reports of othercommittees like the Petroleum Revenue Special Task Force (PRSTF), the DotunSuleiman committee chargedwith fashioning a corporate governance code for transparency, good governance and global best practices in the NNPC and oil companies, and the Kalu Idika Kalu committee on howto improve the commercial viability and efficiency of our refineries, will undoubtedly result in the saving of huge sums of money hitherto stolen by corrupt public officials,” he said.
“These are initiatives which had not been taken by any previous government and forwhich President Jonathan ought to be commended by every patriotic Nigerian.
“By the time the Petroleum Industry Bill (PIB) is passed into law, Nigeria would have successfully broken the jinx of being a nation where global business rules and practices are flouted with impunity.
Re: FG Presents Scorecard In Fight Against Corruption- Thisday Live by Nobody: 11:26pm On Dec 08, 2012
Report Continued:

“Also, estimated annual earnings of $680 billion would be added to our GrossDomestic Product (GDP). Crude oil theft and other sharp practices are also being combated with much vigour by various security and regulatory agencies on the president’s instructions,” he said.
In addition, he gave credit to the president on his reforms that transformed elections and electioneering in the country. “For instance, underthe old electoral dispensation, governors like Adams Oshiomhole and Dr. Olusegun Mimiko, who belong to opposition parties,would simply have found it impossible to be re-elected.
“But thanks to the reforms instituted by this administration, which apart from increasing the funding of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), has also through other agencies, enlightened the Nigerian electorate on their rights and obligations, and the wishes of voters are nowsupreme,” he added.
On the judicial and legal reforms by the president, Okupe said that a major step in this direction was achieved through the Administration of Criminal Justice (ACJ) Bill 2012 by the Office of the Attorney Generaland Minister of Justice.
The bill, he said, is currently before the National Assemblyand seeks to ensure that the administration of criminal justice in Nigeria promotes speedy dispensation of justice, protection of the society from crime, and protection of the rights and interests of the defendant and the victim.
He listed other reforms by the administration to includethe management of the fertilizer scheme, which he said has reduced corruption and ensured that the product gets to the end users.
On the allegations that some ministers are corrupt, Okupe said the onus of proof is on those making the allegation to prove their case. He also denied that N31 trillion or $5 billion had been stolen by this administration since it came into office.
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/fg-presents-scorecard-in-fight-against-corruption/132874/
Re: FG Presents Scorecard In Fight Against Corruption- Thisday Live by nameo: 12:04am On Dec 09, 2012
Interesting information @OP. But prosecution nko?

1 Like

Re: FG Presents Scorecard In Fight Against Corruption- Thisday Live by PROUDIGBO(m): 12:15am On Dec 09, 2012
You could fit their achievements in that regard on the back of a postage stamp.....with space to spare! shocked

2 Likes

Re: FG Presents Scorecard In Fight Against Corruption- Thisday Live by Nobody: 2:44am On Dec 09, 2012
SINCERE 9GERIAN IS A PDP PAID AGENT!!!! HE IS ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE THE CURSE OF THE LAND WILL FOLLOW WHEN THE CLOUD CLEARS!!

REMEMBER YOUR DEEDS FOLLOWS YOU TO THE GRAVE AND ARE MARKS ON YOU IN THE AFTERLIFE

REMEMBER YOUR KIDS ARE GOING TO BE NIGERIANS, REMEMBER YOU WANT THE BEST FOR THEM, REMEMBER THERE WILL NEVER BE PEACE IF THE POOR DON'T GET A CHANCE!!
Re: FG Presents Scorecard In Fight Against Corruption- Thisday Live by Nobody: 5:04am On Dec 09, 2012
0lumide: SINCERE 9GERIAN IS A PDP PAID AGENT!!!! HE IS ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE THE CURSE OF THE LAND WILL FOLLOW WHEN THE CLOUD CLEARS!!

REMEMBER YOUR DEEDS FOLLOWS YOU TO THE GRAVE AND ARE MARKS ON YOU IN THE AFTERLIFE

REMEMBER YOUR KIDS ARE GOING TO BE NIGERIANS, REMEMBER YOU WANT THE BEST FOR THEM, REMEMBER THERE WILL NEVER BE PEACE IF THE POOR DON'T GET A CHANCE!!
You are the one who is being paid by team El Rufai to be running from pillar to post, promoting Buhari's candidature. You think because you betray your conscience to collect stipends, then come to NL to run riot, every other person should be doing same. I dont have anything to do with any political party. Show me any post that I have made in support for PDP? On the otherhand, you'v been moving from thread to thread, trying to FORCE Buhari DOWN OUR THROAT.
Yes, I support the govt of GEJ based on PERSONAL CONVICTION. I have no apologies for that. I've not been moving from thread to thread trying to FORCE GEJ DOWN the throat of unwilling persons, like you do. All I do is either air my opinion based on my understanding of the issues or open threads based on my convictions. I have no apologies to any internet bandit for holding whatever opinion I hold on NL. No one can BLACKMAIL me to silence. I feel STRONGLY about my opinions and derive SATISFACTION from sharing them with the rest of Nigerians.
My supports for GEJ is ROOTED in his policies and programmes. I beleive that many of those policies are the RIGHT THING TO DO. The MOST IMPORTANT example is the PHCN privatisation. I believe that no amount of the mantra of fight against corruption will bring stable power supply to our country, except PHCN is privatised. If I believe in privatisation of PHCN and a govt is doing just that, why will I oppose that govt?
The same applies to other policies that I believe in.
Therefore those who think that the support of some of us for GEJ is based on sentiments that could be swayed by stupid propaganda, should understand that it is MUCH DEEPER THAN THAT.
Can you share with us some of the thoughts of your master Buhari in terms of policies and programmes in key sectors like power, education, health,etc that he hopes to implement if voted in as president? I will be glad to hear those but not general statements like "I will fight corruption"

3 Likes

Re: FG Presents Scorecard In Fight Against Corruption- Thisday Live by Nobody: 5:18am On Dec 09, 2012
I believe that the ROOT CAUSE of corruption in Nig is the SHARING OF FREE crude oil petrol dollars in Abuja. Therefore, I'm not under any ILLUSION that any Nigerian govt can KILL corruption if the SHARING of FREE oil money is not STOPPED. The best one can get in Nig is half-hearted fight against corruption. Changing the leaders at the top without SWITCHING OFF the tap of FREE oil money, is just changing the BENEFICIARIES of the corruption. Therefore, Buhari cannot tell Nigerians that he will preside over SHARING of OIL Money without being corrupt. It is like telling us that even if HIV virus is injected into his blood stream he will not develop AIDS. That is IMPOSSIBLE!!
Re: FG Presents Scorecard In Fight Against Corruption- Thisday Live by Nobody: 5:34am On Dec 09, 2012
Sincere 9gerian:
You are the one who is being paid by team El Rufai to be running from pillar to post, promoting Buhari's candidature. You think because you betray your conscience to collect stipends, then come to NL to run riot, every other person should be doing same. I dont have anything to do with any political party. Show me any post that I have made in support for PDP? On the otherhand, you'v been moving from thread to thread, trying to FORCE Buhari DOWN OUR THROAT.
Yes, I support the govt of GEJ based on PERSONAL CONVICTION. I have no apologies for that. I've not been moving from thread to thread trying to FORCE GEJ DOWN the throat of unwilling persons, like you do. All I do is either air my opinion based on my understanding of the issues or open threads based on my convictions. I have no apologies to any internet bandit for holding whatever opinion I hold on NL. No one can BLACKMAIL me to silence. I feel STRONGLY about my opinions and derive SATISFACTION from sharing them with the rest of Nigerians.
My supports for GEJ is ROOTED in his policies and programmes. I beleive that many of those policies are the RIGHT THING TO DO. The MOST IMPORTANT example is the PHCN privatisation. I believe that no amount of the mantra of fight against corruption will bring stable power supply to our country, except PHCN is privatised. If I believe in privatisation of PHCN and a govt is doing just that, why will I oppose that govt?
The same applies to other policies that I believe in.
Therefore those who think that the support of some of us for GEJ is based on sentiments that could be swayed by stupid propaganda, should understand that it is MUCH DEEPER THAN THAT.
Can you share with us some of the thoughts of your master Buhari in terms of policies and programmes in key sectors like power, education, health,etc that he hopes to implement if voted in as president? I will be glad to hear those but not general statements like "I will fight corruption"

How can El Rufai in Nigeria pay me in Canada? El Rufai that I hate with disgust for his role in rubbishing our judiciary when he ordered the Supreme court demolished in Abuja on a Friday that preceded the Monday that the legitimacy of Atiku as presidential candidate was to be decided? I was like 18 then but I remember clearly and since then, I have loathed the man even though I didn't like Atiku.

You are paid stop denying it.. If all you are seeing in Nigeria are not bringing tears to your eyes, you are enjoying the corruption.

I think you are BEAF! Don't lie!! No need for it!

How can you support the government of GEJ? And you tell me you are not a party agent?

Go and read all my post on NL. Read my posts during the 2011 elections.. Tell me I am a paid agent you paid agent!
Re: FG Presents Scorecard In Fight Against Corruption- Thisday Live by Nobody: 8:41am On Dec 09, 2012
0lumide:

How can El Rufai in Nigeria pay me in Canada? El Rufai that I hate with disgust for his role in rubbishing our judiciary when he ordered the Supreme court demolished in Abuja on a Friday that preceded the Monday that the legitimacy of Atiku as presidential candidate was to be decided? I was like 18 then but I remember clearly and since then, I have loathed the man even though I didn't like Atiku.

You are paid stop denying it.. If all you are seeing in Nigeria are not bringing tears to your eyes, you are enjoying the corruption.

I think you are BEAF! Don't lie!! No need for it!

How can you support the government of GEJ? And you tell me you are not a party agent?

Go and read all my post on NL. Read my posts during the 2011 elections.. Tell me I am a paid agent you paid agent!
I support GEJ and there is NOTHING you can do about it. I understand the fact that MORALLY BANKRUPT persons like you find it DIFFICULT to believe that some persons can stand firm for their personal convictions without being influenced by money. If you'r not being paid to oppose this govt why are you trying to FORCE Buhari down our throat? What do you hope to benefit from his regime? Are you expecting political appointment? If you know Buhari too well to want to die for him, tell us the policies and programmes he hopes to implement if elected. It is not enough to tell us "I will fight corruption".
You'r in Canada but I am on ground and I stay in southeast, a region that has been overtly marginalised by past govts, including Buhari as head of state and as PTF chairman.
Under the govt of GEJ, the feederal govt is doing many projects in the southeast-the airports, brand new secretariat, new federal universities, 2nd Niger bridge, several highways, sea ports,eastern rail corridor, etc Recently contract for feasibilities studies for fast rail linking the west to east was awarded. These are just few examples of REAL PROJECTS being under taken by this govt in the east alone.
There are projects in the west and north which people in those places can attest to if they'r sincere.
Our elections are no longer SHAMEFULLY conducted.
Most importantly, the highlights of this administration is the PHCN privatisation which is about being concluded.
Those who engage in propaganda can continue in DELUSION. We are on ground, we know where were before GEJ and where we are now. Even the likes of Bakare are now quite.
Criticisms is good when it is constructive but destructive and HATEFUL criticism is DISGUSTING.

1 Like

Re: FG Presents Scorecard In Fight Against Corruption- Thisday Live by nuclearboy(m): 2:50pm On Dec 09, 2012
Sincere 9gerian:
I support GEJ and there is NOTHING you can do about it. I understand the fact that MORALLY BANKRUPT persons like you find it DIFFICULT to believe that some persons can stand firm for their personal convictions without being influenced by money. If you'r not being paid to oppose this govt why are you trying to FORCE Buhari down our throat? What do you hope to benefit from his regime? Are you expecting political appointment? If you know Buhari too well to want to die for him, tell us the policies and programmes he hopes to implement if elected. It is not enough to tell us "I will fight corruption".
You'r in Canada but I am on ground and I stay in southeast, a region that has been overtly marginalised by past govts, including Buhari as head of state and as PTF chairman.
Under the govt of GEJ, the feederal govt is doing many projects in the southeast-the airports, brand new secretariat, new federal universities, 2nd Niger bridge, several highways, sea ports,eastern rail corridor, etc Recently contract for feasibilities studies for fast rail linking the west to east was awarded. These are just few examples of REAL PROJECTS being under taken by this govt in the east alone.
There are projects in the west and north which people in those places can attest to if they'r sincere.
Our elections are no longer SHAMEFULLY conducted.
Most importantly, the highlights of this administration is the PHCN privatisation which is about being concluded.
Those who engage in propaganda can continue in DELUSION. We are on ground, we know where were before GEJ and where we are now. Even the likes of Bakare are now quite.
Criticisms is good when it is constructive but destructive and HATEFUL criticism is DISGUSTING.

Dude, you and Olumide can continue the accusations and counter, of being party agents for as long as you wish! You both also have the right to support whoever you wish!

But please, its a sunny day, and Nigerians are not buffons - the noise about anti-corruption is really annoying! Ministers indicted and PROVED to have resources they never could have got from their past activities! Ministers linked to the fuel subsidy scam! Ministers indicted in EVERY single investigation of fraud even and up to giving out National oil blocks like valentine cards! Mouthpieces for the govt indicted on multi-billion naira frauds against Nigeria and yet, they remain in government! A vice-president named as having knowledge of BH activities yet govt looks away! How many more would you like me to state??

So please go ahead and call yourselves names because you support different people but do not offer as gravel and dirt as food and expect us to eat them smiling!

I don't think anybody hates your GEJ (except maybe his PDP opponents for the seat he uses "today"wink but what he currently represents is a mind-boggling tale of avarice, irresponsibility and cruelty to millions of innocent people suffering under a regime that funnily, offered them the exact opposite!

Now, go back to abusing Olumide! But please don't delude yourself that anybody believes this hogwash about a "fight against corruption" by this govt!
Re: FG Presents Scorecard In Fight Against Corruption- Thisday Live by Nobody: 7:09pm On Dec 09, 2012
nuclearboy:

Dude, you and Olumide can continue the accusations and counter, of being party agents for as long as you wish! You both also have the right to support whoever you wish!

But please, its a sunny day, and Nigerians are not buffons - the noise about anti-corruption is really annoying! Ministers indicted and PROVED to have resources they never could have got from their past activities! Ministers linked to the fuel subsidy scam! Ministers indicted in EVERY single investigation of fraud even and up to giving out National oil blocks like valentine cards! Mouthpieces for the govt indicted on multi-billion naira frauds against Nigeria and yet, they remain in government! A vice-president named as having knowledge of BH activities yet govt looks away! How many more would you like me to state??

So please go ahead and call yourselves names because you support different people but do not offer as gravel and dirt as food and expect us to eat them smiling!

I don't think anybody hates your GEJ (except maybe his PDP opponents for the seat he uses "today"wink but what he currently represents is a mind-boggling tale of avarice, irresponsibility and cruelty to millions of innocent people suffering under a regime that funnily, offered them the exact opposite!

Now, go back to abusing Olumide! But please don't delude yourself that anybody believes this hogwash about a "fight against corruption" by this govt!
If you read my earlier comment, you'll note that I'm not fascinated about any phantom fight against corruption. This is because I believe the root cause of corruption in Nig is sharing of FREE oil money. So as long as the sharing is not stopped, corruption can only be fought half-heartedly like OBJ did and GEJ is currently doing.
However, what I can SHOUT TO THE ROOF TOP are tangibles federal projects currently going on in the once forgotten southeast
Re: FG Presents Scorecard In Fight Against Corruption- Thisday Live by PROUDIGBO(m): 7:53pm On Dec 09, 2012
Sincere 9gerian:
If you read my earlier comment, you'll note that I'm not fascinated about any phantom fight against corruption. This is because I believe the root cause of corruption in Nig is sharing of FREE oil money. So as long as the sharing is not stopped, corruption can only be fought half-heartedly like OBJ did and GEJ is currently doing.
However, what I can SHOUT TO THE ROOF TOP are tangibles federal projects currently going on in the once forgotten southeast

^^^Pray bruh, what federal projects are you referring to? And i don't mean the patch-patch on-going works on federal highways, or the airport renovation being done on the cheap with about 3 or 4 million dollars, or the Onitsha river port that was launched a few months back with so much fanfare but which is witnessing ZERO activity as we speak.

There is absolutely no world-class federal gov't project in the south east like a refinery, super highway, world-class bridge, hospital, higher institution, etc; what we do see are pifling kobo-kobo projects that they use to pull wool over our eyes that the south east is getting something.

The major works i've seen in the south east that give me pride thus far are either state or privately funded initiatives.
Re: FG Presents Scorecard In Fight Against Corruption- Thisday Live by PointB: 8:18pm On Dec 09, 2012
0lumide: SINCERE 9GERIAN IS A PDP PAID AGENT!!!! HE IS ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE THE CURSE OF THE LAND WILL FOLLOW WHEN THE CLOUD CLEARS!!

This is pathetic. Grow up!
Re: FG Presents Scorecard In Fight Against Corruption- Thisday Live by PointB: 8:22pm On Dec 09, 2012
Sincere 9gerian:

I can barely point at these so-called tangible projects going on in the SE. Kindly be more specific!
Re: FG Presents Scorecard In Fight Against Corruption- Thisday Live by solomonkane(m): 3:42pm On Dec 10, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:
You could fit their achievements in that regard on the back of a postage stamp.....with space to spare! shocked

ROTFLMAO!!!! This killed me. grin grin grin
Re: FG Presents Scorecard In Fight Against Corruption- Thisday Live by bubadaniel13: 3:52pm On Dec 10, 2012
My joy is that it at least something is been done to demonstrate the fight against corruption,this is a fight for all and sundry those who are outside the govt should also fight corruption cos that that is where corruption is having a field day,to be fair to this administration i think their gesture on the monster called corruption is commendable...

(1) (Reply)

Fresh Pressure On Obama, Clinton Over Boko Haram. / GHOST WORKERS: Enugu set to introduce Biometrics in all local government areas. / 25 Billion Naira Scam Uncovered In Delta State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.