Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,102 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:03 PM

Messi Breaks Muller's Record Of 85 Goals In A Calendar Year - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Messi Breaks Muller's Record Of 85 Goals In A Calendar Year (23652 Views)

Cristiano Ronaldo's Free-Kick Breaks Boy's Wrist In Friendly Match / Messi Breaks Muller's Record Of 85 Goals In A Calendar Year / Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo now has 38 GOALS in 33 apperances in the league (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Messi Breaks Muller's Record Of 85 Goals In A Calendar Year by topeorekoy(m): 9:32pm On Dec 09, 2012
Barcelona's Lionel Messi has set the record for most goals in a calendar year by scoring his 86th goal of 2012.

The 25-year-old Argentine overhauled Gerd Mueller's tally of 85 - set in 1972 - to set a new benchmark which includes goals for club and country.

Messi set the new record with two goals in a 2-1 win over Real Betis on Sunday.

He fired in an angled shot after 16 minutes to equal the German's record before adding a second with a low drive in the 25th minute to set the new mark.

Three-time World Player of the Year Messi's attempt to break Mueller's record looked set to falter after he was carried off on a stretcher during Barcelona's Champions League group game draw with Benfica on Wednesday.

The forward feared he had seen the "last ball I'd touch for a long time because of the pain" but the injury to his left knee was not as bad as he thought and he started against Betis.

Messi's path to the record has included 74 goals for Barcelona and 12 for Argentina in 66 games.

He still has two league matches and one King's Cup tie to add to his tally before the end of the year.

Mueller scored 72 for Bayern Munich and 13 for West Germany when he set the previous benchmark in 1972 and was 27 at the time.

Messi is now favourite to claim a fourth Fifa world player of the year award after making the three-man shortlist which also includes Barcelona team-mate Andres Iniesta and Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo.

"Messi will be the player to win the most Ballons d'Or in history," said former Barcelona player and manager as well as Dutch legend Johann Cruyff.

"He will win five, six, seven. He is incomparable. He's in a different league."

Messi is already Barcelona's all-time record goalscorer but was equal with Cesar Rodriguez on 192 at the top of the club's leading league scoring list before his goals against Betis moved him clear at the top of that as

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20661031

7 Likes

Re: Messi Breaks Muller's Record Of 85 Goals In A Calendar Year by LesbianBoy(m): 11:02pm On Dec 09, 2012
Wondering what muller would be thinking by now! Anyways thumbs up Messi bokuuuuuuu grin grin grin grin

Btw first to Commenttttttttttt!!!!! Yipeeeeeeee!!!!!!!! *Gets up and starts dancing etighi and azonto at the same time* grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Messi Breaks Muller's Record Of 85 Goals In A Calendar Year by Dee60: 11:02pm On Dec 09, 2012
Truly a great player and perhaps the best ever.
Re: Messi Breaks Muller's Record Of 85 Goals In A Calendar Year by Jaggiey: 11:02pm On Dec 09, 2012
Messi treading the path of legends....bravo!

1 Like

Re: Messi Breaks Muller's Record Of 85 Goals In A Calendar Year by TableLeg(m): 11:03pm On Dec 09, 2012
Legend Lio Messi
Re: Messi Breaks Muller's Record Of 85 Goals In A Calendar Year by Nobody: 11:04pm On Dec 09, 2012
He is more than Pele, how great

1 Like

Re: Messi Breaks Muller's Record Of 85 Goals In A Calendar Year by TableLeg(m): 11:04pm On Dec 09, 2012
Jaggiey: Messi treading the path of legends....bravo!
he is a legend already

3 Likes

Re: Messi Breaks Muller's Record Of 85 Goals In A Calendar Year by Nobody: 11:06pm On Dec 09, 2012
Messi is from discarded planet pluto, he is incomparable. I hail thee MESSI, the definition of Football.

Ronaldo, just give up. Messi ordained you.

4 Likes

Re: Messi Breaks Muller's Record Of 85 Goals In A Calendar Year by Afam4eva(m): 11:06pm On Dec 09, 2012
I thought he was injured. This guy na winsh oo

Btw, has any chelsea player ever broken any record

1 Like

Re: Messi Breaks Muller's Record Of 85 Goals In A Calendar Year by ssainty(m): 11:07pm On Dec 09, 2012
congrats messi,ur indeed a genius...
1st to commt
Re: Messi Breaks Muller's Record Of 85 Goals In A Calendar Year by bisikeys: 11:08pm On Dec 09, 2012
Nuff said.... This is one of the finest ever. I have heard my parents talk about Zico, Pele, Segun Odegbami. How they play with so much skill and finesse.But me no see them play LIVE sha. I am so happy to see a player like messi in my generation.He has such a rare combination of skill, class, quality and HUMILITY........He breaks records each day with such ease. He plays football each time with such enthusiasm, the kind you find in a little boy smiley smiley smiley

5 Likes

Re: Messi Breaks Muller's Record Of 85 Goals In A Calendar Year by Havilah93(m): 11:08pm On Dec 09, 2012
talk about a star, here's one...,

has his son started training?

7 Likes

Re: Messi Breaks Muller's Record Of 85 Goals In A Calendar Year by Dee60: 11:09pm On Dec 09, 2012
Billyonaire: He is more than Pele, how great

Pele was great in his time but must admit that football has become more advanced and that Messi stands out beyond anyone of Pele's time.
Re: Messi Breaks Muller's Record Of 85 Goals In A Calendar Year by bisikeys: 11:10pm On Dec 09, 2012
afam4eva: I thought he was injured. This guy na winsh oo

Yes ooo!!!! FIRST CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINNER TO BE KNOCKED OUT IN THE GROUP STAGE!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

20 Likes

Re: Messi Breaks Muller's Record Of 85 Goals In A Calendar Year by logica(m): 11:11pm On Dec 09, 2012

Chelsea just broke a record: the first Champions League "defending champions" to be eliminated in the first round.

Oh, and to add - the only team so far to win a Champions League final by parking the bus.
Re: Messi Breaks Muller's Record Of 85 Goals In A Calendar Year by akintun: 11:11pm On Dec 09, 2012
King messi. Come and let us make u an Oba.
Re: Messi Breaks Muller's Record Of 85 Goals In A Calendar Year by faymouz(m): 11:11pm On Dec 09, 2012
Bravo lionel messi true legend.thumbs up
Re: Messi Breaks Muller's Record Of 85 Goals In A Calendar Year by adewasco2k(m): 11:13pm On Dec 09, 2012
congrats

2 Likes

Re: Messi Breaks Muller's Record Of 85 Goals In A Calendar Year by wengerjay(m): 11:13pm On Dec 09, 2012
Great Messi AkA "the flea".What a record!Also 23 league goals;10 braces+1 hatrick.No controversy,Messi is the king of Soccer.

1 Like

Re: Messi Breaks Muller's Record Of 85 Goals In A Calendar Year by femliany(m): 11:14pm On Dec 09, 2012

John Terry. Sleeping with another man's wife

4 Likes

Re: Messi Breaks Muller's Record Of 85 Goals In A Calendar Year by Nobody: 11:14pm On Dec 09, 2012
Where is taye taiwo and mikel?
Re: Messi Breaks Muller's Record Of 85 Goals In A Calendar Year by abifoluwa: 11:15pm On Dec 09, 2012
bisikeys:

Yes ooo!!!! FIRST CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINNER TO BE KNOCKED OUT IN THE GROUP STAGE!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
didnt know chelsea is a player... sad

2 Likes

Re: Messi Breaks Muller's Record Of 85 Goals In A Calendar Year by Afam4eva(m): 11:15pm On Dec 09, 2012
I think this guy should be assassinated because he will make life hell for players of the future who may never have any record to break because Messi must have set a record that's unbreakable.

2 Likes

Re: Messi Breaks Muller's Record Of 85 Goals In A Calendar Year by Dee60: 11:16pm On Dec 09, 2012
bisikeys: Nuff said.... This is one of the finest ever. I have heard my parents talk about Zico, Pele, Segun Odegbami. How they play with so much skill and finesse.But me no see them play LIVE sha. I am so happy to see a player like messi in my generation.He has such a rare combination of skill, class, quality and HUMILITY........He breaks records each day with such ease. He plays football each time with such enthusiasm, the kind you find in a little boy smiley smiley smiley

HUMILITY. That's it! He did not run around the pitch from pillar to post. He celebrated a bit with team mates and got on. His records speak for him. Greatest footballer of his generation. He is probably also the best team player around. So unselfish, so calm.

2 Likes

Re: Messi Breaks Muller's Record Of 85 Goals In A Calendar Year by toluxa1(m): 11:16pm On Dec 09, 2012

YES!... Mikel Obi has the record of Midfielder with the highest number of appearances without a goal in the Premiership. And this is a fact.

4 Likes

Re: Messi Breaks Muller's Record Of 85 Goals In A Calendar Year by pharmow: 11:17pm On Dec 09, 2012
It is a great privilege to have this legend in this generation. I will surely tell my Children and Children's Children what a great player Messi was just the way my father told me about Pele, Mueller, Zico etc.

1 Like

Re: Messi Breaks Muller's Record Of 85 Goals In A Calendar Year by Nobody: 11:20pm On Dec 09, 2012
ssainty:
1st to commt
krokro dey ur eye?
Ok, u carry 1st... Yes, 1st stu.pid comment on d topic.

2 Likes

Re: Messi Breaks Muller's Record Of 85 Goals In A Calendar Year by Shittaakeem(m): 11:21pm On Dec 09, 2012

yes frank lampard is the only player in the bacleys premeir league to score at least 10 goals in 8 concescutive seasons.2004 till 2012.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Messi Breaks Muller's Record Of 85 Goals In A Calendar Year by Nobody: 11:24pm On Dec 09, 2012
Pyrrho: Where is taye taiwo and mikel?

That reminds me of Netherlands 2005, but Messi has gone too far! He is indeed the King of Soccer. Congrats Messi!!!
Re: Messi Breaks Muller's Record Of 85 Goals In A Calendar Year by Archmed(m): 11:24pm On Dec 09, 2012
RONALDO: I was sent by the god of soccer to teach the world how to play football
MESSI: I sent no one!!

22 Likes

Re: Messi Breaks Muller's Record Of 85 Goals In A Calendar Year by cold(m): 11:25pm On Dec 09, 2012
And to think Mikel & Messi were almost on the same page in the not so distant past. Smh embarassed

1 Like

Re: Messi Breaks Muller's Record Of 85 Goals In A Calendar Year by Archmed(m): 11:27pm On Dec 09, 2012
ssainty: congrats messi,ur indeed a genius...
1st to commt
Check again.This time,wear your glasses!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Tottenham Hotspur Vs Arsenal (2 - 2) On 5th March 2016 / Liverpool Vs Leicester EFL Cup (5 - 4) pens On 22nd December 2021 / Manchester United Vs Leicester City (3 - 0) On 19th February 2023

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.