Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,007 members, 7,838,526 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 02:30 AM

What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? (7639 Views)

Help: Which Authority? The Bible Or The Catholic Church / The Importance Of Studying The Word Of God (the Bible) / Why Do Most Pastors Scream Like Mad Dogs While Preaching Or Praying? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? by AtheistD(m): 12:51pm On Dec 16, 2012
honeychild:
And what proof do you have that it was not God?

What proof do you have that it was God?
Re: What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? by paranorman(m): 12:52pm On Dec 16, 2012
Neither! Being a christian is about havin a genuine relationship wit God thru Christ Jesus and behavin Christ-like;our utmost role-model. Readin d bible n prayin are neccesary aids,its ur personal relatnshp wit God that matters..... Plus,obey 2 simple rules:
1.love God wit al ur heart,ur soul,wit al u'v got.
2. Love ur neighbor as u luv urself..more practically,don't do to others as u won't lyk them to do to you... If u love anytin,sumbody,u'l nvr hurt'em. Love conquers all...
Re: What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? by charlsecy4(m): 12:54pm On Dec 16, 2012
To be a Christian means to believe that the Word of God became man in the Person of Christ Jesus, died, buried and resurrected for the purge of our sins and purchase of our Salvation.

To be Christian means to believe and do all that Christ commanded us.
Re: What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? by yohannazack(m): 12:55pm On Dec 16, 2012
All and even more
Re: What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? by Nobody: 12:57pm On Dec 16, 2012
The finished work of Christ on the cross made me a christian, the bible tells me all the things i am and have becos of the finished work while prayer is speaking to God about the finished work from the bible. Therefore "DOING" both are secondary to the finished work of Christ on the cross.
Re: What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? by EvilBrain1(m): 1:05pm On Dec 16, 2012
Its definitely not reading the bible. Reading it was what made me become an atheist.

Personally, I would advise anybody who wants to remain a Christian to read the bible as little as possible. Or you could stick to reading tiny portions of it out of context like the pastors encourage. I also recommend the use of study guides to spoon-feed you the meaning of each verse.

Never read large portions at once, never read it from start to finish like a novel, and most importantly, never ever try to figure out the meaning by yourself. To do so is to toy with atheism.

Don't let the truth of the bible destroy your faith. Read it with caution.

1 Like

Re: What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? by traeces(m): 1:10pm On Dec 16, 2012
We are christians if we permit the love life of Jesus christ to find expression through us and that life begins in us if "...you tell others with your own mouth that Jesus Christ is your lord and believe in your own heart that God has raised him from the dead,..." (Rom10:9)TLB
Re: What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? by shadrach77: 1:19pm On Dec 16, 2012
Both
Re: What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? by olasquare: 1:30pm On Dec 16, 2012
Ok... being christian is much more than just reading the Bible and praying or paying of Tithe....but these are surelly constituent of the walk.... i think is more of knowing the person of God....taken Him for whom He is either in times of smiles or frown.... the bible says those that will come to God must first believe that he is and a rewarder of them that diligently seek him..... Obedience is better than sacrifice
Re: What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? by Shenez: 1:32pm On Dec 16, 2012
Be a pastor friend make you a xtain
Re: What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? by Turbocharged: 2:19pm On Dec 16, 2012
Atheist:-D:
You forgot to mention paying tithes wink

Fabian! Obiala.
Re: What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? by buoye1(m): 2:25pm On Dec 16, 2012
Not onli dis 2 thinz,D main tin d@ makes 1 a christain is by acting on d word of God in d bible,living a life of christ....non-christain also pray so.........?
Re: What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? by tunapawizzy: 2:28pm On Dec 16, 2012
according to my pastor, paying tithes, sowing all my earnings n taking good care of my pastor
Re: What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? by CosmicJames(m): 2:28pm On Dec 16, 2012
Praying and or reading your bible does not make you a Christian. It enhance our Christian life and experience.
What makes you a Christian is given your life to Christ. He is our righteousness.
Re: What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? by Divineboy42(m): 2:29pm On Dec 16, 2012
Wel. As a believer. Not a chuch goer ,being a christian simply means BEING IN D PRESENCE OF GOD ALWAZ.
In d presence of God . Dia wil u find a christian. It entails walkin in d spirit alwaz, it is beyond prayin an readin d bible, it is when d lyfe of Jesus is seen in U , when odas see Jesus in U , as a mirrow reflectin Jesus, an 4 u to reflect him , u must be wit him.
Anoda 1 is d Holy spirit of God . Rom 8 vs 14.
When u ar led by d holy spirit , U ar a christian
Re: What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? by favouryemmy: 2:43pm On Dec 16, 2012
The answer is, if you have received salvation thru Christ and you have a personal relationship with him.
Re: What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? by Nobody: 2:57pm On Dec 16, 2012
Clemzy16: It is one thing to be a christian, it is another thing to be a beliver. Anyone can be a xtian but having a stronger relationship with God makes one a beliver.
Christian is a title given to deserving receipient, who have proved the inward and outward manifestation of Christ's spirit in him/her, not dis days that we call all & sundry christians, a believer may believe Christ but refuse to obey His commands. Call them church-goers or weeds in a garden.
Re: What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? by Nobody: 3:32pm On Dec 16, 2012
Being a Christian is as just as perfectly repairing and reusing a disfunctional computer system:
formating a system - Repentance
Taking ur system to the manufacturer - Commitment/Reliance
Accepting the manufacturer's recommendation - God's will
Reading and digesting product manual - The Bible
Installing manufacturer's recommended anti-virus software - Holyspirit indwelling
Installing necessary and important softwares - Fruit of the Spirit
Getting a good internet connection - Fellowship with Christians
Regularly charging the System - Praying regularly
Regularly utilising your anti-virus software - Obeying Holyspirit
Using your system to benefit Family, Friends and Neighbours - Showing love to all
Telling everyone about the awesome system manufacturer - Witnessing
and thats a completely working system waiting for its expiry date - Heavenly Adoption. GONDOGAN signs

1 Like

Re: What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? by sweetrace(f): 4:17pm On Dec 16, 2012
Reading your bible and praying are not optional chores that make you a christian. When you have a relationship with someone, you talk to the person, and listen to that person. That's communication, a vital aspect of every successful relationship. When you pray, you talk to God. When you read your bible, you listen to God. Like all relationships, your communication might grow to the point where you hear God speak to you.
Re: What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? by benbrains(m): 4:43pm On Dec 16, 2012
Laconically, NEITHER
...and don't be deceived, even going to church or being/doing good doesn't make you a Christian.
Re: What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? by Nobody: 4:48pm On Dec 16, 2012
Divineboy42: Wel. As a believer. Not a chuch goer ,being a christian simply means BEING IN D PRESENCE OF GOD ALWAZ.
In d presence of God . Dia wil u find a christian. It entails walkin in d spirit alwaz, it is beyond prayin an readin d bible, it is when d lyfe of Jesus is seen in U , when odas see Jesus in U , as a mirrow reflectin Jesus, an 4 u to reflect him , u must be wit him.
Anoda 1 is d Holy spirit of God . Rom 8 vs 14.
When u ar led by d holy spirit , U ar a christian

+ 1

Also, a true Christian should treat others with the love of Christ, always.
Re: What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? by badmus77(m): 5:45pm On Dec 16, 2012
vin4ever: We debated on this our youth day and I just decided to bring up the Topic on Nairaland to get your opinions, what really makes you a christian: studying the word or praying ?
@poster..nice debate but ask yourself these questions plz
1)Who are Christians?..
2)Why I need to study bible and the effect it will have in my life?
3)Why should I pray?
4)Am I seeking to know God or just interested in what I want to get from him?
Re: What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? by Malocity(m): 5:50pm On Dec 16, 2012
to me, both of them but since its 'reading the bible or praying' i chose reading the bible cus u put much more time in it and the words thereof gves u how prayer should be said.
Re: What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? by badmus77(m): 5:52pm On Dec 16, 2012
sweetrace: Reading your bible and praying are not optional chores that make you a christian. When you have a relationship with someone, you talk to the person, and listen to that person. That's communication, a vital aspect of every successful relationship. When you pray, you talk to God. When you read your bible, you listen to God. Like all relationships, your communication might grow to the point where you hear God speak to you.
You don't read bible..you study it to understand the ways of God, get closer to him and lot more...
Disciples are called christians plz..Acts 11:19-26..if you're not a disciple of God, you're just a salvation hungry lion..a true christian will study the words of the God he/she serves to get closer..how much of the verses and the knowledge of God you know will determine how prayerful you're in spirit.
Re: What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? by Nobody: 7:15pm On Dec 16, 2012
Being saved by the blood of Jesus.
Re: What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? by EstherOkonkwo(f): 8:02pm On Dec 16, 2012
vin4ever: We debated on this our youth day and I just decided to bring up the Topic on Nairaland to get your opinions, what really makes you a christian: studying the word or praying ?
Both are important but major issue is to practice Christianity.
Re: What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? by 1forall: 8:09pm On Dec 16, 2012
Fully obeying Christ's commandments
Re: What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? by katolistic(m): 9:02pm On Dec 16, 2012
Studying the Bible and doing what it says...and by praying to tune in, into the right frequency of the Holy Spirit.
Re: What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? by vascey(m): 9:55pm On Dec 16, 2012
None of the above.

Loving your God with all you have and loving your neighbour as yourself.

Confessing that Jesus is the Son Of God. And Giving your life to him.
Re: What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? by Ezeufi: 11:33pm On Dec 16, 2012

worshiping oyinbo
Re: What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? by simdam500(m): 11:34pm On Dec 16, 2012
Studyin d word. I get motivated

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

SEX SCANDAL: Husband Writes Bishop Oyedepo, 'your Pastor Has Snatched My Wife' / My Grace Testimony : Recurring Nightmare Stopped, Enjoying Absolute Peace / Everyone Has An Everlasting Home After Death, It's Either Heaven Or Hell

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.