Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,014 members, 7,838,553 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 04:04 AM

What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? (7640 Views)

Help: Which Authority? The Bible Or The Catholic Church / The Importance Of Studying The Word Of God (the Bible) / Why Do Most Pastors Scream Like Mad Dogs While Preaching Or Praying? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? by tosinajeyahoocom: 5:12am On Dec 17, 2012
Atheist:-D:
You forgot to mention paying tithes wink
Did u not pay tithes called saka in mosque?
Re: What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? by Flow11(f): 7:36am On Dec 17, 2012
living the life of Christ Jesus is what makes us christians...an exact reflection of Christ..want to use this medium to encourage as many that are still lost in the world to embrace this glorious life of Christ...He offers it free for all.the christian life is the most rewarding and satisfying life.
Re: What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? by lovely151: 7:40am On Dec 17, 2012
[color=#770077][/color] Studying the Bible and praying makes you play religion but when CHRIST knows you to be his true child studying and praying is more easy because as you do so more understanding is given you on how to leave a christian life at ease
Re: What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? by Yvete(f): 9:00am On Dec 17, 2012
Either of the two options mentioned above does not make you Christ-like. Personal relationship with God through Jesus is the KEY to become Christ-like!!

Just like you communicate with your earthly father, communicate with God WITHOUT PRESSURE. Forget religion, as a child of God (saved), God is there even when we fail. Take the story of Jonah for example, the guy ran away from God's purpose in his live yet God delivered him from the belly of the shark (this shark represents the temptations/pressures of the earth IMO). Same thing with the prodigal son, his father forgave him. Let us not go out-of-bounds, but remember that the only way to be "Christ-like" is to serve God with a perfect and loyal heart, praise him unconditionally, read the Bible and obey his commandments. IMO
Re: What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? by thelastPope(m): 9:25am On Dec 17, 2012
mr_man: What makes you a student? Going to school or reading your books?

Good question! Neither of these two makes you a student just like neither reading your bible nor praying makes you a christian. What makes you a student is your admission letter given by your school's administration! You attend classes and read your books to pass the standards and demands set by your administrators! If you fail those standards, your admission can be withdrawn. Same way, if after accepting Jesus, you go back to the world and the life of sin, God can withdraw Himself from you.

In the same way, you become a christian by repenting from your life of sin and accepting Jesus as your Lord and saviour. You read your bible and pray to be able to live the life of God and maintain His standards and purpose for your life.

You cannot be born a christian by your parents. That is a false claim. You cannot be a christian by attending church. That is a also a false claim. You cannot be a christian by loving your neighbour or being nice. That is another false claim. The bible says all your righteousness is as filty rags before God. Only the shed blood of Jesus Christ can save you. But after accepting Jesus as your Lord and saviour, God expects you to walk in righteousness and true holiness. He expects you to attend the assembly of believers and expects you to love your neighbour. That is the proper sequence!

This is another reason why I don't like using the word "christian" sometimes. It has been so abused and misused and corrupted to mean anyone who attends a church all because we are living in an age were men follow religion and reject God!
Re: What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? by abrajproperty: 11:47am On Dec 17, 2012
Christianity the religion of paul.....jesus will definitely deny ya'all open your eyes your mind and heart. No islam No paradise! I hereby invite ya'all to the true religion of jesus(isa),moses,naoh,abraham et al. Peace out!
Re: What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? by abrajproperty: 11:54am On Dec 17, 2012
Flow11: living the life of Christ Jesus is what makes us christians...an exact reflection of Christ..want to use this medium to encourage as many that are still lost in the world to embrace this glorious life of Christ...He offers it free for all.the christian life is the most rewarding and satisfying life.
why won't it be satisfying when your pastor can write new bible every month and remove the teachings of prophet isa (jesus) from it. And why won't it be satisfying when you can sing, dance and clap as means of worship and all dis cannot be traced to the way jesus worshiped almighty God. I stand to be correct? ... I hereby invite you to Islam the religion of jesus,abraham,jonas,joseph,noah,moses,muhammed,job,solomon et al. If you continue this way jesus will deny ya'all....No Islam No paradise. Peace out.
Re: What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? by Yvete(f): 11:59am On Dec 17, 2012
abraj property: why won't it be satisfying when your pastor can write new bible every month and remove the teachings of prophet isa (jesus) from it. And why won't it be satisfying when you can sing, dance and clap as means of worship and all dis cannot be traced to the way jesus worshiped almighty God. I stand to be correct? ... I hereby invite you to Islam the religion of jesus,abraham,jonas,joseph,noah,moses,muhammed,job,solomon et al. If you continue this way jesus will deny ya'all....No Islam No paradise. Peace out .

When will y'all leave US alone? Keyword: Religious tolerance.
Re: What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? by larimo(m): 1:18pm On Dec 17, 2012
Christians are Christ-like and has nothing to do with a set of things. Its a relationship with the One who called you to be His own, out from darkness to His wondrous light.

Studying the word will NOT make you a Christian. The Bible says its not the hearers of the word that are blessed but the doers of the word (James 1 v 22-25). Studying the word should help your faith if you put it to use.

Praying will not make you a Christian. You become a christian when you accept the sacrifice of Jesus for you. "... if you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved" (Romans 10 v 9-10).

Going to church will NEVER make you a Christian. "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven" Matt 7 v 21

Ita a relationship. Christians are NOT perfect people but working towards perfection (Ephesians 4 v 12) in other to serve in the household of God.
Re: What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? by kieryn(f): 3:25pm On Dec 17, 2012
Neither. Faith with out works is dead. If you study without making application it is to no avail. If u pray but fail to work in harmony with it or pray inappropiately it is vain.
Re: What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? by AtheistD(m): 4:32pm On Dec 17, 2012
abraj property: why won't it be satisfying when your pastor can write new bible every month and remove the teachings of prophet isa (jesus) from it. And why won't it be satisfying when you can sing, dance and clap as means of worship and all dis cannot be traced to the way jesus worshiped almighty God. I stand to be correct? ... I hereby invite you to Islam the religion of jesus,abraham,jonas,joseph,noah,moses,muhammed,job,solomon et al. If you continue this way jesus will deny ya'all....No Islam No paradise. Peace out.

Only when the muslim aristocracy are held strictly to sharia will I even consider Islam.
Re: What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? by ZeusI: 6:58pm On Dec 17, 2012
Your acting like Jesus Christ makes you a christian.
Re: What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? by SOUTHSOUTH1: 9:06pm On Dec 17, 2012
Take CHRIST out of CHRISTIAN you are left with IAN meaning I AM NOTHING.
Re: What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? by egift(m): 8:28am On Dec 18, 2012
Zeus I: Your acting like Jesus Christ makes you a christian.
"Acting"? It sounds like pretending.

But I agree with FIRST,
1. "Accepting" his death/sacrifice on the Cross of Calvary as an atonement for your sins.
2. "Accepting" Jesus as your Lord and Saviour
3. "Giving/Surrendering" your life to his dictates, instructions, teachings as written in the Bible and through the guidence of the Holy Spirit (who now lives in you).

Doing the above remains the only way a non-believer and a sinner can become a Christain.
(The possibility of entering Heaven through any other means, is solely the consideration/decision for God to make himself)
Re: What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying? by shearer1982(m): 9:25am On Jan 04, 2013
What makes u a christian is to Fear God N Obey is Commandment....!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

SEX SCANDAL: Husband Writes Bishop Oyedepo, 'your Pastor Has Snatched My Wife' / My Grace Testimony : Recurring Nightmare Stopped, Enjoying Absolute Peace / Everyone Has An Everlasting Home After Death, It's Either Heaven Or Hell

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.