Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,801 members, 7,817,316 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:08 AM

Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism - Religion (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism (13598 Views)

Logicboy's Successes And Failures On Nairaland! / Logicboy Meets Anony (epic) / In Defence Of Logicboy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 3:06pm On Jan 06, 2013
Reyginus: wow! Quite revealing. The thing is, this people where not really living the christ-life. But God as a merciful Father that he is, allowed them to share in his blessings because they worshipped Him. That you received the holy spirit does not necessarily mean you're living the christ life.
Now you're beginning to rationalize things. This isn't too nice for a Christian.

Jesus Christ, the apostles and others all had to be baptized in the Holy Spirit before they started their ministries. Please, tell me, is there something I'm missing?

Can one receive the HOLY spirit and not live the 'Christ-life'? Any examples from the Bible to support your stance would be appreciated.

What role does the Holy Spirit play in the life of a believer? Possessor or Guardian/guide?
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 3:09pm On Jan 06, 2013
musKeeto:
Who then is a Christian?

One who occasionally reflects a Christ-life or one who continously does so?

Please forgive me as I may not have understood your statement quite correctly.

Are you saying 'christianity' is a constant which 'believers' hope to attain?

If a deviation (which I believe refers to sin in this context) causes one to fall below the standards of Christianity, is it right to say there are no 'true' christians? Is it possible for a believer to continually measure up to the 'christ-like' standard?

I've defined christainity for you. I'm not going to define it again.
Now to your questions.
1. By definition, christains are to measure up to christ in life-style. But as per mortals that we are, we make mistakes. It shouldn't be occasional.
2. You don't say thier are no true christains because we are not perfect. It will only be so if forgiveness is non-existent in the faith. But with a prayer of forgiveness, a believer is always one.
3. Repetition.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 3:20pm On Jan 06, 2013
musKeeto:
Now you're beginning to rationalize things. This isn't too nice for a Christian.

Jesus Christ, the apostles and others all had to be baptized in the Holy Spirit before they started their ministries. Please, tell me, is there something I'm missing?

Can one receive the HOLY spirit and not live the 'Christ-life'? Any examples from the Bible to support your stance would be appreciated.

What role does the Holy Spirit play in the life of a believer? Possessor or Guardian/guide?
An atheist asking for a bible passage?:-O
To the first question: mattew 7:22.
' When judgement day comes, many will say to me, 'lord, lord! In your name we spoke God's message, by your name we drove out many demons and performed may miracles!'. 23. Then I will say to them, ' I never knew you. Get away from me, you wicked people.'
2. Lol. A trap? The holy spirit was sent as a comforter.

1 Like

Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Seun(m): 3:28pm On Jan 06, 2013
@Reyginus: according to you, Christians may sin only occasionally (because they.are mere mortals). Can you be more precise about the meaning of "occasional"? Is there a cut off point for the number of sins a Christian can commit in a day and still be considered a Christian? Or is there a point system where committing big sins like homosexuality cost 10 points and little sins like beating your slaves unjustly cost only 1 point, and that you must not accrue more than 10 points every day in order to be continue being a Christian? Please give us the details!
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 3:35pm On Jan 06, 2013
Seun: @Reyginus: according to you, Christians may sin "only occasionally" because they.are mere mortals. Can you be more precise about the meaning of "occasional"? Is there a cut off point for the number of sins a Christian can commit in a day and still be considered a Christian? Or is there a point system where committing big sins like homosexuality costs 10 points and little sins like beating your slaves unjustly cost only 1 point, and that you must not accrue more than 10 points every day in order to be continue being a Christian? Please give us the details!
Hmm. It is not about the number of sins you commit a day, but about the believer's willingness to ask for forgiveness. A 'single' occasion of sin can lead you to damnation if you don't ask for forgiveness, but one who sins in dozens but asks for forgiveness can be saved.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 10:59pm On Jan 06, 2013
Reyginus: Hmm. It is not about the number of sins you commit a day, but about the believer's willingness to ask for forgiveness. A 'single' occasion of sin can lead you damnation if you don't ask for forgiveness, but one who sins in dozens but asks for forgiveness can be saved.
Forgiveness? Aren't a believer's sins forgiven once he believes and confesses Jesus as His Lord and Savior? What do you mean by saved? Saved from what exactly?
So are you saying no one is a 'true' Christian? I've never heard of a 'believer' who has been able to completely subject his 'flesh' to control.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 11:18pm On Jan 06, 2013
musKeeto:
Forgiveness? Aren't a believer's sins forgiven once he believes and confesses Jesus as His Lord and Savior? What do you mean by saved? Saved from what exactly?
So are you saying no one is a 'true' Christian? I've never heard of a 'believer' who has been able to completely subject his 'flesh' to control.

Lolol. Are you for real? Lolol.
You really don't understand or you want to joke about it?
Saved too? Are you really asking?
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 11:25pm On Jan 06, 2013
Reyginus: Lolol. Are you for real? Lolol.

What have I done to you Reginald? Why am I still in your signature? I fear you oo! shocked shocked shocked
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 11:29pm On Jan 06, 2013
Reyginus: Lolol. Are you for real? Lolol.
I'm for real. When you're saved, aren't you forgiven? You seem to be mixing up lots of things. First, I always thought once a believer received the Holy Spirit, reliance on the Holy Spirit as a guide would help to live a Christ-like life. Now you talk about sinning then asking for forgiveness in order to be saved.. pretty confusing stuff if you ask me...
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 11:46pm On Jan 06, 2013
musKeeto:
I'm for real. When you're saved, aren't you forgiven? You seem to be mixing up lots of things. First, I always thought once a believer received the Holy Spirit, reliance on the Holy Spirit as a guide would help to live a Christ-like life. Now you talk about sinning then asking for forgiveness in order to be saved.. pretty confusing stuff if you ask me...
You still don't get it. The question is unnecessary.
Let it not be like I'm trying to avoid it.
You see, when you become a child of God you denounce every link you have with any other contrary belief. By the virtue of baptism, your being is renewed and sins forgiven. You are then shown the right practises to remain so. Get this right. Baptism doesn't in any way wipe away your future sins but the past one's prior to it. Now, that you're a saved is wholly dependent on how you carry out your new found faith. When you fall to temptation, your salvation becomes dependent on asking for forgiveness.
This question is not necessary. Except you're looking for a solid loophole.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 11:48pm On Jan 06, 2013
Logicboy03:

What have I done to you Reginald? Why am I still in your signature? I fear you oo! shocked shocked shocked
Lol. Obadiah will tell you.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 11:52pm On Jan 06, 2013
Reyginus: You still don't get it. The question is unnecessary.
Let it not be like I'm trying to avoid it.
You see, when you become a child of God you denounce every link you have with any other contrary belief. By the virtue of baptism, your being is renewed and sins forgiven. You are then shown the right practises to remain so. Get this right. Baptism doesn't in any way wipe away your future sins but the past one's prior to it. Now, that you're a saved is wholly dependent on how you carry out your new found faith. When you fall to temptation, your salvation becomes dependent on asking for forgiveness.
This question is not necessary. Except you're looking for a solid loophole.
Why so defensive all of a sudden? I rarely bring answers to this forum, just questions and I have a lot of them. So please be patient.

SO what exactly is forgiven the first time one's saved?
And are you saying that salvation is lost every time I sin, and regained every time I ask for forgiveness?
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 11:56pm On Jan 06, 2013
musKeeto:
Why so defensive all of a sudden? I rarely bring answers to this forum, just questions and I have a lot of them. So please be patient.

And are you saying that salvation is lost every time I sin, and regained every time I ask for forgiveness?

ofcourse, sin is forgiven. Yes.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 12:09am On Jan 07, 2013
Reyginus: ofcourse, sin is forgiven. Yes.
Interesting...
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by MrAnony1(m): 1:50am On Jan 07, 2013
cyrexx:

Hmm, thats quite an impressive story you told.

Before I proceed with mine, I will like to state that the list below are my personal experience and i will NOT expect you to offer rebuttals to them. I may not respond if you do. I have stated earlier that that there is no GENERAL advantage experience that all atheists must have. We all have different experiences with religion, so our advantageous experiences on our recovery from religion will differ.

I will also like to say that I was not a "nominal christian" when I was a christian, I was a born-again fervent christian who fully followed "Christ in spirit and in truth".

Now, here are my own personal experience on advantages of Religious Non-belief (Atheism) over Religious belief (Christianity). You asked for 5, I will give you 16.

1.As an atheist, I enjoy peace of mind now, I never have to worry about whether i please god or not. As a christian, I'm always conscious of not offending the daddy in the sky who had such a weak ego as to get offended every little time a mere mortal disobey his rules. (isnt it funny that the so-called creator of the universe has no serious business to handle than watch out for tiny "ants" and monitor them all around). This does not mean that I live an immoral life, so dont quote-mine

2. As an atheist, I have a broader view of the world and people. As a christian, I see people as either christians or non-christians and thats a narrow view to have.

3. As an atheist, I am @least 10 percent richer. I dont have to give tithes and offering anymore.

4. As an atheist, I am motivated to do all I can in this life, cos thats what we really have for sure. As a christian, I thought I will really live my life when I get to heaven.

5. As an atheist, I never have to try to make sense of biblical contradictions and absurdities. As a christian, I am always trying to defend the biblical contradictions and absurdities.

6. As an atheist, i am curious to learn sciences, including cosmology and evolution without any fear. As a christian, i am always afraid i will lose my faith if delve deeper into some aspects of sciences.

7. As an atheist, I dont have to wait for god to make things happen, I know that my destiny is in my own hands. As a christian, all my life is in god's incompetent hands.

8. As an atheist, religious tricks will never work on me anymore. As a christian, i am susceptible to fall for any good religious tricks.

9. As an atheist, I am curious to learn about other religions, worldviews and mythologies. As a christian, I feel that learning anything that disagrees with my christian faith is dangerous and even demonic.

10. As an atheist, I never have to pretend and apologise for being a human. As a christian, I have to hide my imperfections from people who respect me as a christian.

11. As an atheist, I never have to pretend as if God answers my prayers. As a christian, I always have to make excuses and tell myself god answers when he doesnt.

12. As an atheist, I now have a truly scientific mind that seeks to discover facts about our universe. As a christian, i am content to acknowledge that god-did-it and i dont need to probe his works.

13. As an atheist, i have no fear of satan, witchcraft, curses or demons harming me. As a christian, I am always careful of "not opening doors" for satan, witchcraft, curses and demons through my "unconscious sins".

14. As an atheist, I have a responsibilty to educate mankind and help mankind practically. As a christian, i only think of how i can convert everyone to christianity.

15. As an atheist, I know i am part of a new generation of the future of mankind, a world free of superstition and dogmatic faith. As a christian, I always feel like I am in the end times, that this world will soon be destroyed.

16. As an atheist, i dont have to ask why did god allow such and such to happen to me, now i know that stuff happens and we have to deal with it. As a christian, i never understand why god allows some things to happen to me despite my sincere prayers and faith in his (failed) promises.
Hmmm, you have asked not to argue over it so I won't but I'll leave you to note that you had to misrepresent christianity in order to fault it. You might want to call up the no true scotsman fallacy but that doesn't help you in this case because christianity has a true scotsman which is Christ. So in order to properly critcize Christianity, you basically need to criticize Christ.

You haven't shown how being an atheist is any better than imitating Christ, all you have done is contrast your atheism against your failure to imitate Christ properly. Reygie has highlighted a few instances so I don't think it is necessary to go point by point. The one that strikes me the most is number 10. You basically described yourself as a pharisee - the very behaviour Jesus was so strongly against - and equated it to Christianity. How??

My friend, you were never a Christian.

I'm a bit busy now but hopefully we can discuss this in depth. You can email me if you like or we can talk on phone at some point.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by MrAnony1(m): 2:19am On Jan 07, 2013
Seun: @Reyginus: according to you, Christians may sin only occasionally (because they.are mere mortals). Can you be more precise about the meaning of "occasional"? Is there a cut off point for the number of sins a Christian can commit in a day and still be considered a Christian? Or is there a point system where committing big sins like homosexuality cost 10 points and little sins like beating your slaves unjustly cost only 1 point, and that you must not accrue more than 10 points every day in order to be continue being a Christian? Please give us the details!
Dude, let me give you a small analogy.

Democracy is government of the people, for the people and by the people but I put it to you that there is no country in the world that is practicing democracy properly. Does this therefore mean that democracy is a wrong form of government? No.

All you are doing is picking on those who are striving to imitate Christ and pointing at their failings hoping to make it seem like their shortcomings are characteristic of Christianity instead of the Christ they are striving towards. It is a bit like pointing at the few things you and your wife disagree over and trying to use that to make a case that you are not in love or that love does not exist. That is how not to argue.

When a person becomes born-again, he/she moves from hating God into a loving relationship with Christ.

Because I love God, I will not want to sin against Him. Sometimes I'll make mistakes. I ask him for forgiveness because I want to keep a relationship with Him. He forgives me because He loves me. That's how it works. You don't get to heaven by "scoring points".

I'll show you what I mean.

Would you say you love your wife(insert family and friends too) if the reason why you don't offend her (them) is so that you can score points?

Would you say she loves you if she has to give you a point based system for you to stay in her good graces?
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by MrAnony1(m): 2:25am On Jan 07, 2013
musKeeto:

Lol, you are not being sincere. You are asking questions not to find answers but in the hope that you can find something to twist. You are foraging for loopholes and you know it.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 8:18am On Jan 07, 2013
Mr_Anony:
Lol, you are not being sincere. You are asking questions not to find answers but in the hope that you can find something to twist. You are foraging for loopholes and you know it.
undecided undecided undecided
Seems like this is a tough one to wriggle out from...
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by MrAnony1(m): 8:53am On Jan 07, 2013
musKeeto:
undecided undecided undecided
Seems like this is a tough one to wriggle out from...
There is nothing to wriggle out from.

The question you are asking and the way you are trying to make it sound is like saying that each time a wife and husband argue and make up, they have divorced and remarried because every argument breaks at least one part of the marriage vow at the moment of quarrel.

We both know you aren't being sincere.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by UyiIredia(m): 11:29am On Jan 07, 2013
Seun:

We have illustrated how morality developed, and how it has certainly evolved over time. Societies embraces values and ideals that lead to more prosperity, and children are taught to embrace those values when they are young and impressionable. Those who reject the values are punished and those who embrace them are allowed to thrive. That's what morality is all about. We label certain things as immoral because if they are widely practiced, society would be worse off.. Morality is not a rigid standard. It is flexible and most moral values are not universal. Acts like murder and rape are universally considered to be morally wrong while other acts are judged differently by different cultures and religions due to the differences in the challenges that each society had to overcome over time.

Your reply doesn't really address the point I raised. Which includes the fact that there is no satisfiable explanation as to how humans evolved morality. Morality evolves quite alright_ I agree with that. However, I strongly disagree that evolution endowed humans with morality.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 11:33am On Jan 07, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Your reply doesn't really address the point I raised. Which includes the fact that there is no satisfiable explanation as to how humans evolved morality. Morality evolves quite alright_ I agree with that. However, I strongly disagree that evolution endowed humans with morality.

And you wonder why I dont take you seriously.

After being shown that there is a natural explanation of morality; our basic instincts, logic and society, you still just shout "i dont believe in evolution".

It has been quite clear that morality is not from God or your bible. You offer no explanation or no evidence. What you say is "i dont know, therefore God".

angry
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by UyiIredia(m): 12:21pm On Jan 07, 2013
Logicboy03:

And you wonder why I dont take you seriously.

I see. Then why did you reply a statement not addressed to you.

Logicboy03: After being shown that there is a natural explanation of morality; our basic instincts, logic and society, you still just shout "i dont believe in evolution".

No you didn't. I explained that morality is a product of intelligence. I then asked you how the human brain could have evolved morality. You simply said evolution giving no explanation whatsoever even when I replied in the negative. Without intelligence none of what you've mentioned could possibly define morality. So the question remains Mr logic boy: How did the human brain start to apprehend morality ?

Logicboy03: It has been quite clear that morality is not from God or your bible. You offer no explanation or no evidence. What you say is "i dont know, therefore God".

angry

There is evidence from which we can infer. We know matter or a given constitution of matter lacks morality. Yet we know morality is a product of intelligence which is contingent on the human brain. I therefore infer a non-contingent intelligence (ie God) from which I derive the intelligence required to define morality. Now you explain how morality could arise physically. Start from the question given previously.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by truthislight: 12:30pm On Jan 07, 2013
musKeeto:

"he that endures to the end will be saved"

"And ye shall be hated of all men for my name’s sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved. " (Matthew 10:22).
(being saved is following christ to the end = having the reward, everlasting life)

It is not all what that you hear that you should put faith in.

But to be save this is what the bible says:

"For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the accurate knowledge of the truth." (1 Timothy 2:3-4).

So, if one had believed a lie can he be save? No.

"The inexperience believeth every word: but the prudent man considers his steps (Proverbs 14:15).

Satan knows this that is why he produces counterfeit:

"For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light,
"Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works." (2 Corinthians 11:13-14)

if you fail to ensure to follow the "truth" and end up believing the lie, then it is a pitt.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 12:40pm On Jan 07, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

I see. Then why did you reply a statement not addressed to you.

To explain why I dont take you seriously

Uyi Iredia:
No you didn't. I explained that morality is a product of intelligence. I then asked you how the human brain could have evolved morality. You simply said evolution giving no explanation whatsoever even when I replied in the negative. Without intelligence none of what you've mentioned could possibly define morality. So the question remains Mr logic boy: How did the human brain start to apprehend morality ?

Morality is based on logic/reasoning not intelligence. Two different words. A rat is an intelligent animal. Intelligence is a very broad term.

We evolved a brain capable of reasoning that other animals didnt. /We know modern humans came 200,000 years ago. The fact is that we know that we came from other animals who didnt have this reasoning ability.

I have answered you question but you keep on repeating and repeating and repeating.......

How did the human brain start to apprehend morality ? << does this question change the fact of what i have been telling you?

Uyi Iredia:
There is evidence from which we can infer. We know matter or a given constitution of matter lacks morality. Yet we know morality is a product of intelligence which is contingent on the human brain. I therefore infer a non-contingent intelligence (ie God) from which I derive the intelligence required to define morality. Now you explain how morality could arise physically. Start from the question given previously.

Human beings are more than matter and so, your first premise is a failure

Morality is a product of reasoning and logic not intelligence.

No one derives intelligence from God because;

a) your christian god does not exist

b) if even he existed, a pure objective, omnipotent law giver would be unintelligible to humans with a limited human bias of human perception
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by MrAnony1(m): 12:56pm On Jan 07, 2013
Logicboy03:
Morality is based on logic/reasoning not intelligence. Two different words. A rat is an intelligent animal. Intelligence is a very broad term.
Please read the bold to yourself again....slowly this time.

We evolved a brain capable of reasoning that other animals didnt. /We know modern humans came 200,000 years ago. The fact is that we know that we came from other animals who didnt have this reasoning ability.

I have answered you question but you keep on repeating and repeating and repeating.......

How did the human brain start to apprehend morality ? << does this question change the fact of what i have been telling you?
Actually you haven't answered his question. Summary of what you've been doing is:

Uyi Iredia: How did the brain evolve a morality?

Logicboy: It evolved it.

We have learnt nothing new here.

Human beings are more than matter and so, your first premise is a failure
Really? so there is an immaterial component of man?

Read this again slowly to yourself. Then explain how an it is possible to reason without intelligence

b) if even he existed, a pure objective, omnipotent law giver would be unintelligible to humans with a limited human bias of human perception
This is just your blind faith speaking so it isn't really worth a response.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 1:01pm On Jan 07, 2013
Lolol. Logicboy indeed! Na wa o!
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by UyiIredia(m): 1:26pm On Jan 07, 2013
Logicboy03:

To explain why I dont take you seriously

Of course, you didn't explain. You simply stated it.

Logicboy03: Morality is based on logic/reasoning not intelligence. Two different words. A rat is an intelligent animal. Intelligence is a very broad term.

Indeed intelligence is a broad term. But that is a facile reason for saying morality isn't based on intelligence. Consider all the more how stup1d your statement is given the definitions of intelligence below:

in·tel·li·gence
[in-tel-i-juh ns] Show IPA
noun
1. capacity for learning, reasoning, understanding, and similar forms of mental activity; aptitude in grasping truths, relationships, facts, meanings, etc.
2. manifestation of a high mental capacity: He writes with intelligence and wit.
3. the faculty of understanding.
4. knowledge of an event, circumstance, etc., received or imparted; news; information.
5. the gathering or distribution of information, especially secret information.

from the definitions given reasoning and logic are clearly aspects of intelligence and any attempt to dispute this is an exercise in futility. Now you've been saying humans evolved a brain but that's not the question it's the reasoning ability of the brain (which allows it to apprehend morality) that's the question. Since evolution is a physical process you should be able to detail how the brain started to evolve the intelligence required to apprehend morality. If you can't state an explanation your hypothesis is rendered useless. Therefore, answer the question instead of chanting evolution as if it is a magic wand that solves your quandary.

Logicboy03: Human beings are more than matter and so, your first premise is a failure

When I earlier asked what makes human being more than matter you mentioned the reasoning ability of the brain. But clearly this reasoning ability is intangible. We can't see it and it isn't tied down to any one instance. Therefore it is an abstract, intangible and contingent aspect of humans. It is contingent because it needs be expressed via the brain. We therefore must infer a necessary, non-contigent intelligence (ie God). I have explained my case. Your rebuttal fails since it merely asserts without giving reasons. Funny thing is I'm not even talking about the Christian God. I'm given a general definition of God which is shared by theism and deism.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by MrAnony1(m): 1:33pm On Jan 07, 2013
Uyi Iredia:
in·tel·li·gence
[in-tel-i-juh ns] Show IPA
noun
1. capacity for learning, reasoning, understanding, and similar forms of mental activity; aptitude in grasping truths, relationships, facts, meanings, etc.
2. manifestation of a high mental capacity: He writes with intelligence and wit.
3. the faculty of understanding.
4. knowledge of an event, circumstance, etc., received or imparted; news; information.
5. the gathering or distribution of information, especially secret information.

from the definitions given reasoning and logic are clearly aspects of intelligence and any attempt to dispute this is an exercise in futility. Now you've been saying humans evolved a brain but that's not the question it's the reasoning ability of the brain (which allows it to apprehend morality) that's the question. Since evolution is a physical process you should be able to detail how the brain started to evolve the intelligence required to apprehend morality. If you can't state an explanation your hypothesis is rendered useless. Therefore, answer the question instead of chanting evolution as if it is a magic wand that solves your quandary.

Wait for it. He will soon come and tell you how foolish you are because you don't know that the ability to reason and intelligence are two different things.

When I earlier asked what makes human being more than matter you mentioned the reasoning ability of the brain. But clearly this reasoning ability is intangible. We can't see it and it isn't tied down to any one instance. Therefore it is an abstract, intangible and contingent aspect of humans. It is contingent because it needs be expressed via the brain. We therefore must infer a necessary, non-contigent intelligence (ie God). I have explained my case. Your rebuttal fails since it merely asserts without giving reasons. Funny thing is I'm not even talking about the Christian God. I'm given a general definition of God which is shared by theism and deism.
Very well put....but I am afraid you have just done the equivalent of pouring water upon a rock.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 1:34pm On Jan 07, 2013
Mr_Anony:

Will explain below in this comment.

Mr_Anony:
Actually you haven't answered his question. Summary of what you've been doing is:

Thanks for remixing the conversation as usual.

You people need to be treated like children. Things explained in simple terms over and over again to you!

We evolved a brain capable of reasoning. From that reasoning ability, we devvelop our morality. Now, it is irrelevant how the brain developed that reasoning with regards to the debate about morality. Morality is based on reasoning. Whether that reasoning came from rocks or sand, the fact remains that such morality is based on reasoning and not the bible/religion. It is a product of humans that preceded the bible or religion.

Now, your question is irrelevant but I will answer. An educated guess for why/how we evolved reasoning is the adaptation to the environment. We humans are less adaptable to living in the jungle or forest than most animals. Sleeping on sand or a tree can give us rashes and other diseases. Most mammals can live on the outside with little problems. We humans probably needed an advantage over other apes who were much more adapted to the wild, hence evolving a brain capable of reason.

Furthermore, we inherited this brain from our ape ancestors who were social animals. We split from a common ancestor with monkeys. Maybe there was a need to communicate more as social animals were the most strongest and naturally selected species. Commnication is the basis for social interactions. Maybe this need coud have been another reason for evolution of such a brain capable of higher communication such as language and reason.

Now, a truly scientific reason that can be backed would be mutations from the brains of our ancestors
. What I have explained before in the above two paragrapghs is an educated guess an assumption because most scientists will tell you that it is difficult to pinpopint how exactly the brain evolved reaosning

Mr_Anony:
Really? so there is an immaterial component of man?

Man is more than matter. If I say that Eba is more than cassava does that mean I am saying that there is a non-phyiscal side to eba?

Man is biological also not just mere matter

Mr_Anony:
Read this again slowly to yourself. Then explain how an it is possible to reason without intelligence

The point is about morality is impossible without reasoning not that reasoning is impossible without intelligence. Stop twisting

-Intelligence is a prerequisite for reasoning and hence, morality.
-However, an intelligent person or life form can have intelligence but no morality

You have to reason out morality. The intelligence is there but the reasoning must happen to get morality.

Hitler was intelligent but a psycho[path without morality

Rats are intelligent animals but without morality

Mr_Anony:
This is just your blind faith speaking so it isn't really worth a response.

You are foolish. How dare you call factual responses "blind faith"?
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 1:35pm On Jan 07, 2013
See how these Anony and Uyi iredia just spin and argue on strawmen?

Let me make it clear once and for all

[size=14pt]The point is about morality is impossible without reasoning not that reasoning is impossible without intelligence. Stop twisting

-Intelligence is a prerequisite for reasoning and hence, morality.
-However, an intelligent person or life form can have intelligence but no morality

You have to reason out morality. The intelligence is there but the reasoning must happen to get morality.

Hitler was intelligent but a psycho[path without morality

Rats are intelligent animals but without morality[/size]
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 1:36pm On Jan 07, 2013
Mr_Anony:

Wait for it. He will soon come and tell you how foolish you are because you don't know that the ability to reason and intelligence are two different things.

The point is about morality is impossible without reasoning not that reasoning is impossible without intelligence. Stop twisting
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by UyiIredia(m): 1:40pm On Jan 07, 2013
Mr_Anony:

The guy can't even read to save his own skin. Or maybe his English comprehension is poor. Because as at last I checked reason is dependent on intelligence.

Mr_Anony: Actually you haven't answered his question. Summary of what you've been doing is:

Rightly said. he has answered nothing. Just asserts his precious evolution.

Mr_Anony: Really? so there is an immaterial component of man?

His answer there is funny. So an atheists really believes humans are more than matter. Acknowleding something outside of the physical world yet denying all that is metaphysical. Ironic.

Mr_Anony: Read this again slowly to yourself. Then explain how an it is possible to reason without intelligence

Once again, rightly said.

Mr_Anony: This is just your blind faith speaking so it isn't really worth a response.

It wasn't but I replied him anyway.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (16) (Reply)

Must Read: Olodumare (GOD) In Yoruba Ifa And Orisha Is Monotheistic / Is It Right To Play Secular Songs During Christian Weddings? / When A Sin Becomes "Normal" In Your Life.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 132
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.