Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,659 members, 7,827,424 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:50 AM

Aregbesola Prohibits Chieftaincy Titles For Osun Officials - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Aregbesola Prohibits Chieftaincy Titles For Osun Officials (7476 Views)

David Mark Bags Chieftaincy Title In Ohimini, Benue (pics) / FG Bans Civil Servants From Chieftaincy Titles / FG To Regulate Conferment Of Chieftaincy Titles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Aregbesola Prohibits Chieftaincy Titles For Osun Officials by mukina2: 8:11pm On Dec 16, 2012
Circular To All EXCO members and other political Appointees

Prohibition of Chieftaincy/Honorary Titles By Political Office Holders

In Recent times, it has been observed that some political functionaries in the state have been receiving chieftaincy/honorary titles even while they are still holing public offices. This also applies to honorary academic degrees being indiscriminately awarded and accepted by political functionaries. This is unacceptable.

For the avoidance of doubt, it is the policy of the present government that any political functionary who is interested in chieftaincy or honorary title should defer it until after leaving public office.

Consequently, the state Governor, Ogbeni Rauf Adesoji Aregbesola has directed that all political appointees in the state should desist forthwith from doing so. Anyone who violates this directive would be appropriately sanctioned

Kindly Ensure that this circular letter is given the seriousness it deserves.

Gboyega Oyetola
Chief Of Staff to the Governor

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=465997216770650&set=a.131328983570810.20651.130935336943508&type=1

Nairalanders, what are your opinions about this directive: Commendable or Excessive?

3 Likes

Re: Aregbesola Prohibits Chieftaincy Titles For Osun Officials by tirtimy: 9:08pm On Dec 16, 2012
Commendable, political appointees or office holder should neither be given chieftancy title nor honourary degree. After service, it can be given to them if they are found worthy of it.
Re: Aregbesola Prohibits Chieftaincy Titles For Osun Officials by 3itNg: 9:16pm On Dec 16, 2012
I see nothing wrong with Office holders receiving well deserved awards and chieftaincy titles..

1 Like

Re: Aregbesola Prohibits Chieftaincy Titles For Osun Officials by GARRIx7(m): 9:23pm On Dec 16, 2012
I think it is excessive, however i understand the motive and I think it is commendable...
Re: Aregbesola Prohibits Chieftaincy Titles For Osun Officials by k2039: 9:29pm On Dec 16, 2012
Like my friend will say.
'sex before marriage and s.ex after marriage, it's still all about s.ex', dont take me literal though

What that means is that whether the chieftancy is before or after appointment it still doesnt change the fact that chieftancy is given based on money and influence not really 'achievment'

Commendable effort though, provided the aim is really achieved(which is not applicable currently though).
Re: Aregbesola Prohibits Chieftaincy Titles For Osun Officials by Tsmooth1(m): 9:41pm On Dec 16, 2012
What is the wisdom behind this law? I dnt think is commendable.

1 Like

Re: Aregbesola Prohibits Chieftaincy Titles For Osun Officials by taharqa: 9:56pm On Dec 16, 2012
This is VERY GOOD in m view. This is what I am talking about..

Excellent decision Aregbe..

2 Likes

Re: Aregbesola Prohibits Chieftaincy Titles For Osun Officials by tirtimy: 9:59pm On Dec 16, 2012
For those saying it is excessive, please I want to ask that what are the aims of one been given a Chieftancy title in Nigeria?
Re: Aregbesola Prohibits Chieftaincy Titles For Osun Officials by OYINBOGOJU(m): 9:59pm On Dec 16, 2012
South West has laid/is laying good examples its time other geo-political zones follow our footstep.
Re: Aregbesola Prohibits Chieftaincy Titles For Osun Officials by pressongodsay(m): 10:10pm On Dec 16, 2012
Chieftaincy tittle is been given to pple who have indeed served well in one way or the other. But in the modern case of Nigerians, its now been given to those who have failed well in one way or the other. God help us.

3 Likes

Re: Aregbesola Prohibits Chieftaincy Titles For Osun Officials by tpia1: 10:11pm On Dec 16, 2012
i'm not sure public officials are allowed to receive chieftancy titles to begin with.

have they started doing that now, because it wasnt so before.
Re: Aregbesola Prohibits Chieftaincy Titles For Osun Officials by lacasa: 10:12pm On Dec 16, 2012
Nice policy
Re: Aregbesola Prohibits Chieftaincy Titles For Osun Officials by Nobody: 10:15pm On Dec 16, 2012
And, how does receiving or not receiving Chieftaincy titles affect their performance?

Just channeling his energy in the wrong direction.
Re: Aregbesola Prohibits Chieftaincy Titles For Osun Officials by Nobody: 10:16pm On Dec 16, 2012
1. It is very wrong to post confidential government memo online. Oluwole letters from Osun Government might start flying around soon.
2. Memo has a mistake, its spelt 'Until' not 'Untill".
3. Most of the awardees lose focus on the primary reason they are in government and go about getting cheap doctorate degrees to cover up their 'school drop-out, 3rd class and illiteracy status'. On the whole, its commendable, such awards should be banned nationwide.
Re: Aregbesola Prohibits Chieftaincy Titles For Osun Officials by Afam4eva(m): 10:18pm On Dec 16, 2012
This is an excellent step in the right direction.
Re: Aregbesola Prohibits Chieftaincy Titles For Osun Officials by SELFWORTH: 10:38pm On Dec 16, 2012
About time.

Public service before Private interest!
Re: Aregbesola Prohibits Chieftaincy Titles For Osun Officials by Seun(m): 10:42pm On Dec 16, 2012
Billyonaire: 1. It is very wrong to post confidential government memo online. Oluwole letters from Osun Government might start flying around soon.
It's not a confidential memo. We got it from the honourable governor's public Facebook page. For obvious reasons, he wants us to read it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Aregbesola Prohibits Chieftaincy Titles For Osun Officials by Nobody: 11:08pm On Dec 16, 2012
One of the few times I agree 100% with the emir of Osun
Nice move
Re: Aregbesola Prohibits Chieftaincy Titles For Osun Officials by godsboy4eva: 11:10pm On Dec 16, 2012
That sounds good but will that in any way stop treasury looting and contract inflation? Or will it in any way put food on the tables of the masses who voted him into office?
Re: Aregbesola Prohibits Chieftaincy Titles For Osun Officials by philips70(m): 11:10pm On Dec 16, 2012
The list of no no should include giving serving governors, ministers, commissioners, etc National merit awards like it happened to Uduaghan and co. That was so so appaling and political. These are some social cleansing policies that should emanate from Aso rock. And just to deviate I wish he should set a pace also with banning the blockade of any road whatsoever for any kind of ceremonies. Any time am driving and I meet this scenario my bile rises up to my lips.
Re: Aregbesola Prohibits Chieftaincy Titles For Osun Officials by nochio(m): 11:22pm On Dec 16, 2012
What about the basic rural infrastructures expected from the govt , are they in place?All these things are distractions and irrelevant for now.

1 Like

Re: Aregbesola Prohibits Chieftaincy Titles For Osun Officials by aglomar: 11:24pm On Dec 16, 2012
The era of using public money to lobby for titles is over. Let ur performance earn u one after ur term. Nice one!
Re: Aregbesola Prohibits Chieftaincy Titles For Osun Officials by 80million1: 11:32pm On Dec 16, 2012
*Speechless*

I think Ogbeni Rauf means business.

...But this news does not add anything to my Bank Account!
Re: Aregbesola Prohibits Chieftaincy Titles For Osun Officials by 401kk: 11:46pm On Dec 16, 2012
What a stupìd policy. So what if it was on merit of hardwork?
Re: Aregbesola Prohibits Chieftaincy Titles For Osun Officials by tpia1: 12:00am On Dec 17, 2012
the policy has always been public officials are barred from holding chieftaincy titles.

when exactly did it stop?
Re: Aregbesola Prohibits Chieftaincy Titles For Osun Officials by demitola(m): 12:05am On Dec 17, 2012
nochio: What about the basic rural infrastructures expected from the govt , are they in place?All these things are distractions and irrelevant for now.
U ar nt living in d State of Osun. Ar u? I guess not

3 Likes

Re: Aregbesola Prohibits Chieftaincy Titles For Osun Officials by bestower: 12:23am On Dec 17, 2012
Good move from a good governor to the good citizen of a good state.

2 Likes

Re: Aregbesola Prohibits Chieftaincy Titles For Osun Officials by PaulJohn1: 12:49am On Dec 17, 2012
demitola:
U ar nt living in d State of Osun. Ar u? I guess not

It's obvious he's not.
I should be in Oshogbo this time Tomorrow cool

@Post. Nice move.
Re: Aregbesola Prohibits Chieftaincy Titles For Osun Officials by babaowo: 12:57am On Dec 17, 2012
This is nice decision, it will reduce lavishness of public funds.
Re: Aregbesola Prohibits Chieftaincy Titles For Osun Officials by Nobody: 1:07am On Dec 17, 2012
When is he starting the implementation of slicing off the blokoss of rapeests
Or have they started already

Please someone tell me ,is ogbeni not a chieftaincy tile?
Re: Aregbesola Prohibits Chieftaincy Titles For Osun Officials by wolebaba(m): 1:30am On Dec 17, 2012
babyosisi: When is he starting the implementation of slicing off the blokoss of rapeests
Or have they started already

Please someone tell me ,is ogbeni not a chieftaincy tile?

Ogbeni means Mr.

4 Likes

Re: Aregbesola Prohibits Chieftaincy Titles For Osun Officials by greatgod2012(f): 1:50am On Dec 17, 2012
To me, i think its commendable, some pple are so concious of their titles to d extent of feeling offended when you fail to address them with all their titles, at d expense of their duties, i think this will allow them to concetrate more on their duties and also may serve as inducement to working harder in order to be appreciated after leaving the office.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria's Population To Surpass U.S By 2050 / Osibanjo's Daughter Denied Access To The Inauguration VIP Stage. / Nigerian Soldiers Killed Brutally By Bandits. See Picture Inside

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.