Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,885 members, 7,817,610 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:26 PM

Should Prisoners Be Allowed To Vote? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should Prisoners Be Allowed To Vote? (7424 Views)

Rev. Graham: ‘no Muslims Should Be Allowed Into United State Of America / It’s Time To Vote Out ‘I Will Do President’ – Amaechi Blasts Jonathan / Opinion: Should Prisoners Allowed To Vote ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Prisoners Be Allowed To Vote? by Nobody: 10:19pm On Dec 18, 2012
ogugua88:

I na su Igbo? shocked YAY! I finished and scored perfects on a few of them smiley
haba! E maro mbu onye igbo? Mu si na ozalla niime enugu.
Re: Should Prisoners Be Allowed To Vote? by GooseBaba: 10:20pm On Dec 18, 2012
Hypeman..My point exactly.. The law makes no sense.. All na vote, if a freeman can vote for candidate A why can't a convicted fellow vote for the same candidate..
Re: Should Prisoners Be Allowed To Vote? by Nobody: 10:24pm On Dec 18, 2012
ogugua88:

When they get out, they can vote.
NO!!! WHY? Because they can‘t be voted for. E nugo?
Re: Should Prisoners Be Allowed To Vote? by Purist(m): 10:25pm On Dec 18, 2012
ogugua88:

When you commit a crime, you lose your rights. It's not rocket science and there's nothing mad about it. I gave the analogy of a child misbehaving and losing privileges. That's exactly what it is. One can't be a criminal and have the same privileges as me. If I'm good, I can vote. If I'm bad, I can still vote? No. If that's the case, then the incentive to do good has been diminished.

Except in this case, voting isn't a "privilege" as in the case of the misbehaving child. It is a right. Your analogy doesn't quite fit.

Unless you're arguing that rights can be stripped, in which case, it would cease being a right.
Re: Should Prisoners Be Allowed To Vote? by Nobody: 10:25pm On Dec 18, 2012
GooseBaba: Hypeman..My point exactly.. The law makes no sense.. All na vote, if a freeman can vote for candidate A why can't a convicted fellow vote for the same candidate..
because he can‘t be voted for. They go together; vote and be voted for.
Re: Should Prisoners Be Allowed To Vote? by Nobody: 10:28pm On Dec 18, 2012
lucenzo: haba! E maro mbu onye igbo? Mu si na ozalla niime enugu.

A maro m lol. Ka anyi je house papa m lmao. I nwere email addy?
Re: Should Prisoners Be Allowed To Vote? by Nobody: 10:31pm On Dec 18, 2012
Purist: Except in this case, voting isn't a "privilege" as in the case of the misbehaving child. It is a right. Your analogy doesn't quite fit.

Unless you're arguing that rights can be stripped, in which case, it would cease being a right.

I don't see the logic of allowing violators of the law to vote on law issues. They didn't care about the law which is what got them in there in the first place. Prisoners aren't exactly a part of society, which is why they are imprisoned, so why should they be included in something as societal as voting?
Re: Should Prisoners Be Allowed To Vote? by Roland17(m): 10:32pm On Dec 18, 2012
Purist:

Except in this case, voting isn't a "privilege" as in the case of the misbehaving child. It is a right. Your analogy doesn't quite fit.

Bro, u just nailed it, there is definitely a difference between Rights and Privilege, you are born with one and u are accorded the other.
Re: Should Prisoners Be Allowed To Vote? by Nobody: 10:33pm On Dec 18, 2012
Email m ne wey nsuobu, o ihe me ma ke nye gi reply. Ke ebe uno mpagi no?
Re: Should Prisoners Be Allowed To Vote? by Roland17(m): 10:37pm On Dec 18, 2012
ogugua88:

I don't see the logic of allowing violators of the law to vote on law issues. They didn't care about the law which is what got them in there in the first place. Prisoners aren't exactly a part of society, which is why they are imprisoned, so why should they be included in something as societal as voting?

Personally i feel this statement is very very inconsiderate and Unfair, what do u mean by they are not part of the society, yet they are visited by family members including their kids, some get married there, kids are born in prison yet u are claiming they are not exactly a part of society!!!

There is a separate budget for the prison every year, the prison employs thousands of people and helps keep food on the table of many yet the prisoners aren't exactly a part of society.

IF THEY ARE NOT A PART OF SOCIETY, WHERE DO THEY BELONG THEN? LIMBO

If they directly/ indirectly affect our lives, then they are part and parcel of the society.
Re: Should Prisoners Be Allowed To Vote? by Nobody: 10:39pm On Dec 18, 2012
lucenzo: Email m ne wey nsuobu, o ihe me ma ke nye gi reply. Ke ebe uno mpagi no?

Oh yeah, I forgot lol. Meet me in the chatroom in Romance, before Jarus/Oam4j ban us for derailing lol.
Re: Should Prisoners Be Allowed To Vote? by GooseBaba: 10:40pm On Dec 18, 2012
lucenzo: because he can‘t be voted for. They go together; vote and be voted for.

That na lie! Their civic rights got nothing to do with them being voted for.. That one na beer parlour talk..
Re: Should Prisoners Be Allowed To Vote? by TheGeneral1(m): 10:42pm On Dec 18, 2012
It's not new! Prisoners vote in Ghana.
Re: Should Prisoners Be Allowed To Vote? by Purist(m): 10:43pm On Dec 18, 2012
ogugua88:

You're right to some extent. Problem is, it isn't quite as black and white as you paint it. Your thinking assumes that all prisoners are deliberate violators of the law, which we all know isn't the case. In Uganda for example, a bill was recently passed which basically allows for people to be imprisoned for their sexuäl orientation. And then, there are cases of misapplied justice, innocent mistakes (one-off crimes not committed due to malicious intents), etc.

Besides, bad people vote all the time.

Something to reflect on: Not all prisoners are criminals.
Re: Should Prisoners Be Allowed To Vote? by Nobody: 10:43pm On Dec 18, 2012
Roland17: Personally i feel this statement is very very inconsiderate and Unfair, what do u mean by they are not part of the society, yet they are visited by family members including their kids, some get married there, kids are born in prison yet u are claiming they are not exactly a part of society!!!

There is a separate budget for the prison every year, the prison employs thousands of people and helps keep food on the table of many yet they aren't exactly a part of society.

IF THEY ARE NOT A PART OF SOCIETY, WHERE DO THEY BELONG THEN? LIMBO

If they directly/ indirectly affect our lives, then they are part and parcel of the society.

We're going in circles. I have my views and don't plan on changing them. I tend to vote left/liberal but on this issue I'm conservative. I don't believe in voting rights for prisoners. Most of them infringed on someone else's rights to land themselves there. End of discussion for me.
Re: Should Prisoners Be Allowed To Vote? by Nobody: 10:46pm On Dec 18, 2012
Purist: You're right to some extent. Problem is, it isn't quite as black and white as you paint it. Your thinking assumes that all prisoners are deliberate violators of the law, which we all know isn't the case. In Uganda for example, a bill was recently passed which basically allows for people to be imprisoned for their sexual orientation. And then, there are cases of misapplied justice, innocent mistakes (one-off crimes not committed due to malicious intents), etc.

Besides, bad people vote all the time.

I know it's not black and white. As I told Roland earlier though, voting rights doesn't necessary solve misapplied justice, imprisoning the innocent, etc. The judicial system in its entirety needs to be reviewed. Roland gave the example of bigger criminals like politicians voting, so smaller criminals imprisoned should vote too. That's hogwash.
Re: Should Prisoners Be Allowed To Vote? by toluene12: 10:46pm On Dec 18, 2012
ogugua88:

The United States is a democracy. Incarcerated felons do not vote with the exception of two states: Maine and Vermont.

If the person is awaiting trial, then he or she can vote. If a prisoner is serving a term, then he or she shouldn't be allowed to vote. It's called punishment. I don't recall misbehaving when I was a child and still being allowed to play with toys and have dessert. You do the crime, you do the time, and that involves losing privileges that people who abide by the law enjoy.
That U.S doesn't allow its prisoners to vote does not make it ideal. The concept of prison is to reduce the individual's ability to commit further crimes by limiting his freedom. Hence, being in jail is no reason to remove the rights of an individual that are clearly outlined in the constitution, and that includes the RIGHT(not priviledge as u allude) to vote. Besides, the prison is called a correction facility n not a demeaning incaceration system. Therefore, there is no reason why anyone should be deprived of his basic right as a citizen even if serving time or had served time.
However, its like our society wants nothing to do with whoever has seen the inside of a prison, we deny them jobs, accomodation, opportunities, assess to their kids and spouse, and even the right to vote or be voted for. No wonder most ex convicts ends up in prison more than once, they feel thats the only place that accepts them.

3 Likes

Re: Should Prisoners Be Allowed To Vote? by toluene12: 11:03pm On Dec 18, 2012
futhermore, most european countries allows its prisoners to vote, U.S and U.K are the only advanced countries that denies its prisoners this right.
Re: Should Prisoners Be Allowed To Vote? by Nobody: 11:29pm On Dec 18, 2012
no oo, when bad people vote for bad people, na bad pple go dy rule 9ja every tenure
Re: Should Prisoners Be Allowed To Vote? by Roland17(m): 11:36pm On Dec 18, 2012
R2bees: no oo, when bad people vote for bad people, na bad pple go dy rule 9ja every tenure
As if the perceived good people voting has ever produced good leaders...
Re: Should Prisoners Be Allowed To Vote? by Shankboye(m): 1:12am On Dec 19, 2012
toluene12:
That U.S doesn't allow its prisoners to vote does not make it ideal. The concept of prison is to reduce the individual's ability to commit further crimes by limiting his freedom. Hence, being in jail is no reason to remove the rights of an individual that are clearly outlined in the constitution, and that includes the RIGHT(not priviledge as u allude) to vote. Besides, the prison is called a correction facility n not a demeaning incaceration system. Therefore, there is no reason why anyone should be deprived of his basic right as a citizen even if serving time or had served time.
However, its like our society wants nothing to do with whoever has seen the inside of a prison, we deny them jobs, accomodation, opportunities, assess to their kids and spouse, and even the right to vote or be voted for. No wonder most ex convicts ends up in prison more than once, they feel thats the only place that accepts them.

Correct !!
Re: Should Prisoners Be Allowed To Vote? by manny4life(m): 1:55am On Dec 19, 2012
In my own opinion, I honestly do believe that prisoners should have the right to vote. I mean, if they have a right to marry, move, work, religion, etc, just like the unalienable rights, then after their term, they should vote. Nonetheless, they cannot be voted for because they don't stand a chance.
Re: Should Prisoners Be Allowed To Vote? by Nobody: 2:46am On Dec 19, 2012
manny4life: In my own opinion, I honestly do believe that prisoners should have the right to vote. I mean, if they have a right to marry, move, work, religion, etc, just like the unalienable rights, then after their term, they should vote. Nonetheless, they cannot be voted for because they don't stand a chance.

You said it yourself: after their term. That's all I've been saying lol.
Re: Should Prisoners Be Allowed To Vote? by logica(m): 5:18am On Dec 19, 2012
GooseBaba:
The origin of this laws should be questioned..
You are on the right track, right there. The origin of this law in the US was to prevent as many blacks as possible from voting. All they had to do was lock you up (even with trumped up charges, and then your are knocked out of the voting pool). Yessire!
Re: Should Prisoners Be Allowed To Vote? by Nobody: 5:39am On Dec 19, 2012
Roland17:
As if the perceived good people voting has ever produced good leaders...

this one u dey talk like this e be lyk say ur bros dey kirikiri
Re: Should Prisoners Be Allowed To Vote? by Nobody: 6:20am On Dec 19, 2012
Yes. They have every right to. Prisons(in the 21st century) are meant to be like a reform system for criminals and other offenders. They should be allowed to contribute towards nation building and have a sense of belonging.
Re: Should Prisoners Be Allowed To Vote? by agitator: 7:35am On Dec 19, 2012
Roland17: I personally believe as humans prisoners posses basic human rights (Except it affects the security of the Nation) which should include the right to elect representatives who would protect and fight for their interest like every other voter, If we claim to be operating a democratic system, i believe it should be wholesome and not disenfranchise a group.

The level of Political Consciousness in Nigeria especially amongst youths is encouraging thus i hope we can debate this intelligently.

Good idea from you. planning for the inevitable? tongue tongue tongue wink wink wink
Re: Should Prisoners Be Allowed To Vote? by stantob(m): 7:41am On Dec 19, 2012
ogugua88:

The United States is a democracy. Incarcerated felons do not vote with the exception of two states: Maine and Vermont.

If the person is awaiting trial, then he or she can vote. If a prisoner is serving a term, then he or she shouldn't be allowed to vote. It's called punishment. I don't recall misbehaving when I was a child and still being allowed to play with toys and have dessert. You do the crime, you do the time, and that involves losing privileges that people who abide by the law enjoy.
Well said. That's an obvious truth.
Re: Should Prisoners Be Allowed To Vote? by greatgeo(m): 8:10am On Dec 19, 2012
Yes they have equal right as any other person but to vote no cos in prison they will never know who is working or not
Re: Should Prisoners Be Allowed To Vote? by vm26: 8:36am On Dec 19, 2012
what right do they need those criminals??that will teach people to stay away from crime.i can imagine rapists and murderers being thot of deserving to vote.vote fo what!!!!!!!why should you even think of such selfish pple who did not think of their offenders before they committed the crime.why suggest nice and warm ideas fo cold hearted selfish human beings who caused pain in other pple"s lives.lets look at ways to reduce domestic violence, teenage pregnancy and poverty!!!!!!!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Two Scriptural Evidence That Shows The Yoruba Race are From Israel / BREAKING: Senate Presidency, Speakership: APC Lawmakers Move Against Party / PDP Appoints Caretaker Committee For Lagos State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.