Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,688 members, 7,809,601 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:51 AM

I Will Like To Visit Ghana Pls Advice - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Will Like To Visit Ghana Pls Advice (24291 Views)

I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me / I Will Like To Visit Ghana Pls Advice / I Will Like To Visit Ghana Pls Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Will Like To Visit Ghana Pls Advice by Suntemi(m): 12:14pm On Jun 02, 2008
Cescky, dat ok plz enough of this ok.

Anyway how runz?
Re: I Will Like To Visit Ghana Pls Advice by landis(m): 2:08pm On Jun 02, 2008
interesting post,

what about driving from Lagos to Ghana?

has anyone done this?

what do you need to get from Nigerian Customs/Immigration?

what about armed robbers?
Re: I Will Like To Visit Ghana Pls Advice by savanaha: 4:28pm On Jun 02, 2008
femigirl:

Just to say the Ghana custom officers are very friendly and when they ask you what you think are stupid / rude questions they have to do so that part of there job. if they don't t hey will get fired.Please don't take it personally.I have travel all over the place and various custom officer s have ask me questions such as

are you carrying bomb,weapons
why are you travelling alone
are you coming to this country to work illegally
who do you know in this country etc

We are all Africans,please let us unity

One love x

I want to believe that except that my friends and all the people I went to Ghana with had their USA passport and were let through you minor questions but as soon as they open my Nigerian passport they ask "What are you doing in my country?" Then they meticulously scan it for no apparent reason as if I came from America with a forged passport. Then they evidently make up random useless baseless questions just to delay.
Re: I Will Like To Visit Ghana Pls Advice by adebiyi221(m): 9:06pm On Jun 03, 2008
hi, im also preparing to go to ghana for the first time. can anyone link me up with friends in ghana to make my stay more interesting.thanks

1 Like

Re: I Will Like To Visit Ghana Pls Advice by adebiyi221(m): 9:38pm On Jun 03, 2008
how many hour is it by road from Lagos to Ghana
Re: I Will Like To Visit Ghana Pls Advice by Nwaka77: 3:34am On Jun 05, 2008
savanaha:

I want to believe that except that my friends and all the people I went to Ghana with had their USA passport and were let through you minor questions but as soon as they open my Nigerian passport they ask "What are you doing in my country?" Then they meticulously scan it for no apparent reason as if I came from America with a forged passport. Then they evidently make up random useless baseless questions just to delay.

Hmmm, thanks for sharing your experience Savanaha. Please remind me never to go to Ghana. Not that I have the need to go there anyways undecided As for those customs people that treated you like that, let them go to hell! angry
Re: I Will Like To Visit Ghana Pls Advice by lucky5825: 11:26pm On Jun 06, 2008
well, you all plz can you help me in my trip to ghana i want go there for my private pilot liecense(ppl)so plz can you help me find where i can bored abc line so i could be there n how much it will cost me n help me calculate 7,586,000 in ghana money plz am lucky anugwolu
Re: I Will Like To Visit Ghana Pls Advice by femigirl(f): 10:34am On Jun 07, 2008
Lagos- Accra cost N11,900 - return ticket- http://www.abctransport.com/fares.asp

http://www.abctransport.com/cwafrica.asp, Bus leaves lagos 8am daily to Accra

Lagos to Accra is 300 miles,it should take 7-8 hrs, but if you get stuck in go slow or get stuck in border control you should add another 4 hours.
Re: I Will Like To Visit Ghana Pls Advice by Cotton(m): 9:25pm On Jun 10, 2008
If you don't want to use your passport or don't have one, you can board a taxi from Mile 2, Lagos for about =N=5,100.00. Tell the driver that you don't have a passport and he will see you through. You will have to pay minor fees (=N=500 at Seme) to go through. It is quicker than coming out of the car to pass through customs and immigration at the borders. You just sit in the car and the driver does the tipping. There is an organised racket for this kind of thing. If you do decide to use your passport (either Ecowas or International) and it has never been used at any of the land borders before, it is classified as a 'virgin passport' and you need to spend even more money to cross at each border.

wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Will Like To Visit Ghana Pls Advice by femigirl(f): 10:15pm On Jun 10, 2008
Cotton,

Why would you come on this site and write something which involves an illegal act.

Come on now. Stop the madness I beg.
Re: I Will Like To Visit Ghana Pls Advice by Cotton(m): 12:17am On Jun 11, 2008
Femigirl,

My dear get real! I would expect that the majority of persons crossing the border either way don't have valid passports. This is the reality of the country we live in. If one doesn't have a passport and has to make an emergency visit to Ghana then this is the way. Even companies such as Chisco Transport will take you across but you have to pay more. It is not so much an illegality as a convenience.

2 Likes

Re: I Will Like To Visit Ghana Pls Advice by landis(m): 7:23am On Jun 11, 2008
Cotton,

what if I want to drive with my own car?. what is the process?

Do we have armed robbers also along this route?
Re: I Will Like To Visit Ghana Pls Advice by funkybaby(f): 9:57am On Jun 11, 2008
Cotton:

If you don't want to use your passport or don't have one, you can board a taxi from Mile 2, Lagos for about =N=5,100.00. Tell the driver that you don't have a passport and he will see you through. You will have to pay minor fees (=N=500 at Seme) to go through. It is quicker than coming out of the car to pass through customs and immigration at the borders.

Very true. I was in Ghana February this year with some friends and i did not travel along with my passport. Reason- i did not want my beautiful passport smiley grin decorated with horrid stamps from Seme border/Benin Republic/Togo/Ghana. grin grin grin grin grin After all, its not like the paste visas on the passports, just all manners of colours and shapes of stamps. undecided

What we did was charter a ride from Mile 2, only one of us had an Ecowas passport, we informed the driver about this and he did the tipping at the Seme border.

The corruption is not limited to Nigeria's end of the border, we still had to tip at the Cotonu end of the border and the Cotonu/Lome end of the border as well.

Just budget about 2,000 CFA for tips. Be prepared to pay more if your passport is virgin ( it has never been used on any land border), irrespective of whether or not it has visas from US or india. ( virgin passport holders pay more than those without passports).

Cotton:

Femigirl,
Even companies such as Chisco Transport will take you across but you have to pay more. It is not so much an illegality as a convenience.

I do not know about Chisco but ABC will NOT allow you board without a passport.

landis:

Do we have armed robbers also along this route?
I doubt it. The roads from from the Naija end to Ghana are in very good motorable condition. Appears safe. I know people that have travelled at night and they had no horror stories to tell. smiley

@femigirl

The corruption that goes on at the land borders is an open secret. Like i mentioned earlier, it is even worse at the borders of the other West African cournties, especially Benin Republic.
Re: I Will Like To Visit Ghana Pls Advice by Cotton(m): 7:32pm On Jun 12, 2008
Landis

I guess Funkybaby has answered the question. The roads are safe.

She's right, ABC will definitely not take you without a passport.
Re: I Will Like To Visit Ghana Pls Advice by femigirl(f): 10:57pm On Jun 18, 2008
Thanks for teaching me some new things Cotton.It goesto show your never to old to learn.
Re: I Will Like To Visit Ghana Pls Advice by Cotton(m): 8:53am On Jun 19, 2008
Ur welcome wink
Re: I Will Like To Visit Ghana Pls Advice by niyyie(m): 11:26pm On Jun 25, 2008
Facts:

# ABC will not take you without a passport.
# Cross-country and Chisco might.
# Don't go near the airport with the mind of travelling to Ghana without a passport. smiley

There are nice places to visit. Many of the beaches are very clean and unlike the rubbish in Lagos, you'd not have touts harassing you for money. Well, Ghana is enjoyable so long you have the moolah to finance the enjoyment.
Re: I Will Like To Visit Ghana Pls Advice by savanaha: 1:24pm On Jul 02, 2008
Back from the amazing trip in Ghana. From Ho in the Volta Region to Cape Coast and then Accra. I also watched the Gabon vs Ghana game at the Accra stadium. Amazing!!. The canopy walk was also amazing. With some many things to like fan milk is on the list along with the Wli falls and the Adaklu mountain climb.

3 Likes

Re: I Will Like To Visit Ghana Pls Advice by Oguns123(m): 10:20am On Jun 22, 2016
pls, its my first time of going to ghana and have no body there and i want to stay parmanently there, pls can anyone help me with accomodation, pending i get my own appartment pls, and here is my contact 08168837771 and may God help you as you help me.

1 Like

Re: I Will Like To Visit Ghana Pls Advice by emydaniels24(m): 8:58am On Sep 03, 2016
How long will it take someone from Lagos to Accra
Re: I Will Like To Visit Ghana Pls Advice by mkbessman(m): 3:37pm On Sep 08, 2016
jassie:
My Friends just went to Ghana today and it was quite easy for them.
They traveled by air though, if you prefer traveling by road ( which is the best for sight seeing) then I suggest ABC like the previous poster said.

If you're traveling by air however, you need your international passport, then you will just have to book the next flight with any airline of your choice and your arrival and departure shall be stamped on your passport at each airport.

Just a cute little hotel to lodge, eat good Ghanaian food and get around the local market for some shopping.
Don't forget to take your camera phone so you can take some snaps! cool

I'll love to visit Ghana after my NYSC.... but I don't have an international passport.. can I go with my voter's card?
Re: I Will Like To Visit Ghana Pls Advice by Ndipe(m): 5:12am On Jan 10, 2018
Same here, I'd like to visit Ghana.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Italians Send 13 Nigerian Refugees Out Of Their Camp For No Reason (Pics, Video) / How Long Does It Take To Travel From Lagos To Ph By Road? / Unidentifiable Boy Killed By A Car In Kano (Disturbing Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.