Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,645 members, 7,823,830 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:13 PM

Activists Arrested During Okada-Riders Protest - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Activists Arrested During Okada-Riders Protest (7037 Views)

Cyril Dum-Wite Arrested During Rerun Election (Video) / 83 ‘biafra’ Activists Arrested In Bayelsa - Sahara Reporters / PHOTOS- Okada Riders Protest In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Activists Arrested During Okada-Riders Protest by lekanolas: 4:39pm On Dec 19, 2012
Many activists, including Dr Dipo Fashina, Messrs Abiodun Aremu, Hassan Taiwo Soweto, Usman Oloyede, Segun Oladunni were arrested this morning for leading commercial motorcycle riders (okada) on a peaceful protest against the traffic law in Lagos.
The motorcyclists, alongside some civil society groups, are protesting the new Lagos Traffic Law which bans them from plying over 400 roads in Lagos.
Earlier, scores of police officers armed with AK 47 rifles were stationed near the Nigeria Labour Congress secretariat, Lagos, in anticipation of the protest.
The police stopped a similar protest by the motorcyclists a week ago.
So far, the Lagos state police command has seized over 7000 motorcycles in the last six months.

http://nationalmirroronline.net/new/activists-arrested-during-okada-riders-protest/
Re: Activists Arrested During Okada-Riders Protest by talk2hb1(m): 4:42pm On Dec 19, 2012
If those are the people being arrested, They will release them Happily.
Re: Activists Arrested During Okada-Riders Protest by GARRIx7(m): 5:00pm On Dec 19, 2012
They've got no choice but to accept and get used to life without Okada... The ban is a welcome Development to many Lagosians...

3 Likes

Re: Activists Arrested During Okada-Riders Protest by seanet01: 6:51pm On Dec 19, 2012
GARRI (x7):
They've got no choice but to accept and get used to life without Okada... The ban is a welcome Development to many Lagosians...
The law has come to stay, anybody dissatisfied can go back to his village

1 Like

Re: Activists Arrested During Okada-Riders Protest by Nobody: 6:52pm On Dec 19, 2012
Nonsense!

People should get used to life without okada.
Re: Activists Arrested During Okada-Riders Protest by Nobody: 6:54pm On Dec 19, 2012
Motor Cycle was not invented as a means of transportation. It should be banned totally. When one door closes another one opens. All these years they have been riding, if they were sincere about personal financial growth they would have had fat savings to fall back on but they chose to use their savings for beer and bbgurls enjoyment while spending useful hours at viewing centers watching never ending Europe League games. Poverty is a choice, so is stupidity. To hell with Okada.

5 Likes

Re: Activists Arrested During Okada-Riders Protest by Nobody: 6:56pm On Dec 19, 2012

Many activists, including Dr Dipo Fashina, Messrs Abiodun Aremu, Hassan Taiwo Soweto, Usman Oloyede, Segun Oladunni were arrested this morning for leading commercial motorcycle riders (okada) on a peaceful protest against the traffic law in Lagos.

I thought someone told us the Okada men were Igbos,northerners and foreigners
I read them ask people to go back to their places
How come it is Yorubas leading the protests

This tells us the opinion of the tribalist Yorubas on nairaland does not determine the general Yoruba opinion

12 Likes

Re: Activists Arrested During Okada-Riders Protest by Hailedin9ja: 7:01pm On Dec 19, 2012
Operation- kill-opposition

Re: Activists Arrested During Okada-Riders Protest by Afam4eva(m): 7:01pm On Dec 19, 2012
lekanolas: Many activists, including Dr Dipo Fashina, Messrs Abiodun Aremu, Hassan Taiwo Soweto, Usman Oloyede, Segun Oladunni were arrested this morning for leading commercial motorcycle riders (okada) on a peaceful protest against the traffic law in Lagos.
The motorcyclists, alongside some civil society groups, are protesting the new Lagos Traffic Law which bans them from plying over 400 roads in Lagos.
Earlier, scores of police officers armed with AK 47 rifles were stationed near the Nigeria Labour Congress secretariat, Lagos, in anticipation of the protest.
The police stopped a similar protest by the motorcyclists a week ago.
So far, the Lagos state police command has seized over 7000 motorcycles in the last six months.

http://nationalmirroronline.net/new/activists-arrested-during-okada-riders-protest/
As if i knew the activists were Igbos. These people should go their village if they can't stay in Lagos. Nonsense!

3 Likes

Re: Activists Arrested During Okada-Riders Protest by Nobody: 7:02pm On Dec 19, 2012
afam4eva:
As if i knew the activists were Igbos. These people should go their village if they can't stay in Lagos. Nonsense!

grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Activists Arrested During Okada-Riders Protest by Nobody: 7:05pm On Dec 19, 2012
#TeamOAU Alumnis Should remember Dr.Dipo Fashina(popularly known as Jingo)...

So do I feel for those arrested?.. I'm not sure!
Re: Activists Arrested During Okada-Riders Protest by sundaybam(m): 7:07pm On Dec 19, 2012
7000 motorcycle Abeg return their okada let them go back to their village and sell them so that they can get enough money to enjoy chrismas and new year gringringrin
Re: Activists Arrested During Okada-Riders Protest by Femsyn(m): 7:10pm On Dec 19, 2012
Would've loved to see those ajebutter twitter activists lead d protest and get arrested. Until then, they are all bunch of noisemakers looking for followers!
Re: Activists Arrested During Okada-Riders Protest by Bolt2011(m): 7:12pm On Dec 19, 2012
Was it a violent prostest? If not, why the arrest? SMH for Naija's Democracy. Could this be 'freedom of association' or 'right to express ones opinion'
Re: Activists Arrested During Okada-Riders Protest by Nobody: 7:15pm On Dec 19, 2012
Paul John: It won't be a surprise if majority of these okada riders are not Lagosians.
If this is the way they want to go(vandalization), Fashola needs to send them to whatever region/village they're from.

OYINBOGOJU: Good way to go.....

Atleast all those young hausas and their igbo counterparts will return to their village.

1 Like

Re: Activists Arrested During Okada-Riders Protest by duality(m): 7:34pm On Dec 19, 2012
why should they arrest them. was it not peaceful? Lagos govt better move for their release. we are not in demo-crazy
Re: Activists Arrested During Okada-Riders Protest by delors(m): 7:39pm On Dec 19, 2012
When you have a headache...is cutting off the head the solution? No! Be informed people...those saying the ban is a welcome development are being myopic...extremely myopic. Lagos is not London, not Toronto, not Tokyo, not Durban...every mega city is unique and different. in China, autorickshaw is being used as a inter-street transit, same in Japan. In Toronto, street cars (train on streets) are used as inter-street transit because of the population. Now, a project to build underground and overhead interstreet trains are nearly completed. in Venice, because of the water streets, boats are used as interstreet transits. Okadas are used in Lagos because of Lagos' peculiar transport system.

Banning okada in Lagos is a lazy way out of the transport system in Lagos. There are better ways to deal with the transport system. Tell me, has banning okada eased transport in Lagos? Traffic gridlock at Eko bridge, at Barracks en route Ojuelegba, at Iyana Iba enroute Okoko, at Obalende, at Ijaye? No! I think, contrary to pubic opinion, the Lagos state government took the easy way out of the problem creating more problems for the masses. Ina place where job is hard to come by, u forcfully snatched jobs from people in thousands...many okada riders are graduates conditioned by the situation of the country, many supply families with food and necessities with the okada business.

A responsive government would do a comprehensie cost benefit analysis of such a situation before embarking on such...Lagos is no man's land. If anything, the Benins (Edos) are the legitimate owners but it is now everybody's land...Fashola doesnt sound like a Lagos name (should be from Osun), so all those saying people should go back to theri villages should put on their thinking caps. If everybody went to their villages from Lagos, then Lagos would become an isolated geographical expression. smiley

In other countries, when there is a business where government makes revenue from, or it illegal but people tend to still do it, the government devise a means to legalise it and make more revenue from it. In Canada, bribing politicians or policy makers to influence policies is called 'lobbying', and in 2006, the government created the Department of Lobbying meant to ensure that lobbying activities are done within the scope of the law...and the government makes profit from it. Same with alcohol consumption, if u must drink, u must tender ur ID to show u r 18+...not banning the sale of alcohol, or the act of 'lobbying'...banning OKADA IN LAGS IS A WEAK, MYOPIC, UNINFORMED, ARCHAIC, UNFAIR, policy and should be protested. (Thanks to Dr. Fashina, aka Jingo, for leading the protest this time. e knows whassap)

12 Likes

Re: Activists Arrested During Okada-Riders Protest by Opoki(m): 7:41pm On Dec 19, 2012
Dr. Dipo Fashina never rest... i remember those days back in school but wait o Soweto still dey do struggle?
Re: Activists Arrested During Okada-Riders Protest by delors(m): 7:43pm On Dec 19, 2012
Opoki: Dr. Dipo Fashina never rest... i remember those days back in school but wait o Soweto still dey do struggle?
See this great Ife guy o...suoooo...So u sabi dem Soweto and co? Fryo, Revo, etc Joo o, great Ife!
Re: Activists Arrested During Okada-Riders Protest by Nobody: 7:58pm On Dec 19, 2012
Who be this delors wey dey write epistles? Every other states ban okada,nothing happen. Better put ur epistle writing skills into money making venture in your home town and leave lagos 4 us. No be by force,carry ur okada to ur home town where complete ban on okada is not opposed by your cowards kinsmen who can protest in lagos but not in their home town

1 Like

Re: Activists Arrested During Okada-Riders Protest by pheesayor(m): 7:59pm On Dec 19, 2012
I term this "activism gone wrong ". A law has been passed and there is a way out: ammendment. Pressure the lawmakers to ammend the law. I personally feel some routes should still be allowed for now but protesting is not the way out, ammending the law is the wAy out
Re: Activists Arrested During Okada-Riders Protest by LordBabs(m): 8:03pm On Dec 19, 2012
Arresting the likes of Dr. Dipo Fashina, is utterly insane! A law is only a law, when it is both logically and popularly consented, otherwise a fraud! I campaigned for and voted Fashola, yet he missed it this time!
Re: Activists Arrested During Okada-Riders Protest by LordBabs(m): 8:08pm On Dec 19, 2012
pheesayor: I term this "activism gone wrong ". A law has been passed and there is a way out: ammendment. Pressure the lawmakers to ammend the law. I personally feel some routes should still be allowed for now but protesting is not the way out, ammending the law is the wAy out
will you STFU! What do you know about LAWS? Can you cite a clause in the Nigerian Laws, where protesting peacefully against an extant law is prohibited? Btw, what the f++k do you know about Lagos? You'd better not aggrieve my arrogance!
Re: Activists Arrested During Okada-Riders Protest by Smooyis(m): 8:23pm On Dec 19, 2012
We Nigerians can be very hasty in jumping into conclusions of matter. Wheneva an issue is brought up, let's try and read well before commenting. Ok. Every great society is governed by laws, and ours cannot and will NOT be an exception. Why marching protesters against the traffic? U can't complain against government policies while u are disobeying the laws of the land!
Re: Activists Arrested During Okada-Riders Protest by omiobo: 8:25pm On Dec 19, 2012
* sleeping mode activated* I comment my reserve.
Re: Activists Arrested During Okada-Riders Protest by onyekabe(m): 8:28pm On Dec 19, 2012
Billyonaire: Motor Cycle was not invented as a means of transportation. It should be banned totally. When one door closes another one opens. All these years they have been riding, if they were sincere about personal financial growth they would have had fat savings to fall back on but they chose to use their savings for beer and bbgurls enjoyment while spending useful hours at viewing centers watching never ending Europe League games. Poverty is a choice, so is stupidity. To hell with Okada.
you are a fool for spewing this nonsence. With okada i have been able to go to higher institution, build a house and start business that has raise my financial status above many civil servants who has bsc or hnd. I that many people has succeed through okada riding and many also hope to succeed through it

3 Likes

Re: Activists Arrested During Okada-Riders Protest by free2ryhme: 8:37pm On Dec 19, 2012
the lagos state traffic law banning okadas is draconian

1 Like

Re: Activists Arrested During Okada-Riders Protest by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 8:52pm On Dec 19, 2012
1: Okada Ban - GOOD
2: Drug-addicted Aboki riders with no means of income but the rest of the non-elite - BAD
3: No Transportation into remote communities after the Major/Minor Bus-Stops, leaving you open to r.apists, ritualists etc - BAD
4: Not enough BRT to cater for the sudden increase in commuters - BAD (but can be better managed)
5: Soldiers and Policement still riding in restricted roads - BAD
6: Folks who are not butta hailing this move.. watch your back cos abokis, ofemanus and iyanmeris (doo-don doya) are not smiling - BAD

So Score 1 for Fashola minus 5 tongue
Re: Activists Arrested During Okada-Riders Protest by Samxiulee: 9:00pm On Dec 19, 2012
@delors,In the late 80s there was nothing like commercial motorcycle riders,and the ppl in lagos survived.am always worried anytime ppl says lagos will become a geographical expression,the Europeans,Portuguese met ppl on the geographical expression when they came,pls those ppl they met,are they from your village?
Re: Activists Arrested During Okada-Riders Protest by phlamy(m): 9:06pm On Dec 19, 2012
For me really, when you look at the number of lives that have been lost and the number of people that have been disabled over time by the okada thing, i think it is worth banning. I used okada in lagos very often but you needed to hear my prayers before and after and then my pleas with the rider
Re: Activists Arrested During Okada-Riders Protest by pheesayor(m): 9:20pm On Dec 19, 2012
Lord Babs: will you STFU! What do you know about LAWS? Can you cite a clause in the Nigerian Laws, where protesting peacefully against an extant law is prohibited? Btw, what the f++k do you know about Lagos? You'd better not aggrieve my arrogance!

broda dodoyo, all I'm saying is instead of protesting against reversal of a signed law, press for its ammendment. Protest is not wrong but in this case it is not the way out
Re: Activists Arrested During Okada-Riders Protest by delors(m): 9:31pm On Dec 19, 2012
maryjames9: Who be this delors wey dey write epistles? Every other states ban okada,nothing happen. Better put ur epistle writing skills into money making venture in your home town and leave lagos 4 us. No be by force,carry ur okada to ur home town where complete ban on okada is not opposed by your cowards kinsmen who can protest in lagos but not in their home town
Your fada! Na ur paa get Lagos? So if every state ban okada...must t be done in Lagos as well? You r so dumb. How many other state be like Lagos in terms of population? in terms of commerce? in terms of social activities? in terms of multi-ethnicity? Now I know Nairalnad is so full of frail-brained idiots like u who cannot think deeply but join in on the bandwagon...open ur eyes, ur brain too and think. If I hear my name for ur fada mouth again (unless u get better thing to say) u go see ur self.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

APC May Pull A Shocker In Delta State / Tension Biafran Youths Burn Hausa Houses VIDEO / Kogi Government Sues EFCC, Demands ₦35 Billion In Damages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.