Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,099 members, 7,821,800 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:42 PM

FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies (10720 Views)

Buhari Sacks 24 Director-Generals Of Parastatals And Agencies / FG Bans Importation Of ‘I-Pass-My-Neighbour’ Generators / List Of Agencies And Departments Under Fayemi, As A Minister Of Solid Minerals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by mosunade(f): 8:53am On Dec 21, 2012
jaymichael: so what will now become of foreign cars in the possession of the MDAs ? does that mean that they will decommission all of those and and spend scarce funds on the procurement of new vehicles? they should have been allowed to continue using the foreign vehicles but banned from procuring same. any new procurement will be Nigerian made, with time, the foreign vehicles will be phased out without the need for expensive total replacements.

Did they say they should not use the ones in their possession? abi you didnt even read the story.

He said as from January 2013, it would be an offence for any MDA to buy foreign vehicles for official purposes, adding that failure to comply would attract a sanction.
Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by DisGuy: 8:56am On Dec 21, 2012
honeric01:

800 cars annually?

yup 8000-9000 roughly and thats everything combined o, mostly buses and trucks

so with all the shout of complete ban, they cant even supply some departments or states alone!
Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by adconline(m): 8:57am On Dec 21, 2012
solomon111: if the Nigerian market of these foreign car companies are threatened,they would be forced to come and invest in our power-sector to enable them manufacture in the country.
Afterall,the power-sector is already undergoing privatization.

Dumbest post of the year
Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by Series22(m): 9:00am On Dec 21, 2012
ehispapa:
Are you sane at all. Pls. what do you know about economics?
hilux is manufactured by Toyota, and Toyota has a plant in Nigeria. So therefore, any Hilux van manufacture in Nigeria is a made in Naija goods.
CONCLUSION: Hilux is a made in Nigeria car
Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by dejijohns(m): 9:02am On Dec 21, 2012
CFCfan: Mr Chukwuma (CEO of Innoson) go dey dance Azonto, etighi and gangnam style now grin

This policy, if faithfully implemented, could potentially lead to d creation of millions of jobs for mechanical/electrical engineers, due to increased demand for locally-made cars.

and chemical engrs too. Bros abeg try gimme hope na...

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by manutayo(m): 9:03am On Dec 21, 2012
good news
Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by Nobody: 9:04am On Dec 21, 2012
dejijohns:

and chemical engrs too. Bros abeg try gimme hope na...

You guys are also included grin

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by Exponental(m): 9:07am On Dec 21, 2012
Nice one.......
I foresee competition soon!
Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by dejijohns(m): 9:08am On Dec 21, 2012
nameo: MINISTRIES, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) have been barred from using foreign cars beginning from 2013, the Minister of Trade and Investment, Mr Olusegun Aganga, has disclosed.

The minister, speaking at the end-of-year media chat, during the second annual seminar for trade and investment correspondents and business editors, on Monday, in Abuja, stated that the directive, which he said was from President Goodluck Jonathan, was aimed at promoting made-in-Nigeria goods, conserve the foreign exchange ressrves and boost job creation in the country.

He said as from January 2013, it would be an offence for any MDA to buy foreign vehicles for official purposes, adding that failure to comply would attract a sanction.

Although, the minister observed that local vehicle plants might not be able to immediately meet local auto demands, he, however, stated that such MDAs needed to exercise patience, because the local plants would eventually meet their demands.

On the importance of patronising Nigerian made goods, the minister said the excuse of the poor quality of these goods by Nigerians had been addressed by the admonition to the Standards Organisation of Nigeria (SON) to see that goods coming into the markets were of high quality.

As part of the government investment climate reform programme, he said the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) had been able to achieve 24 hours registration service, while the country was able to attract foreign investment worth N8.9 billion to the economy in 2011.

With the 2011 feat, Aganga said Nigeria had become the most preferred investment destination in Africa and the world, as 20 per cent of world trade comes to Nigeria currently.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/news2013/index.php/en/component/k2/item/1336-no-more-foreign-cars-for-mdas-fg

http://www.punchng.com/business/industry/new-auto-policy-is-ready-minister/

This ll not only hlp sales of 9ja made cars, oda foreign car manufacturing company ll b forced 2kum open dir own manufacturing plant here. All in all sha *employment opportunities*...

2 Likes

Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by davies123: 9:08am On Dec 21, 2012
GeJ79: SWEET STATEMENT TO BE READ BY HE FAKE MINISTER BUT WE KNOW IN NIGERIA IS NOT POSSIBLE..........

WHO BE MUMU....... YOU, ME OR THE MINISTER??
YOU AND YOU ALONE!
Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by davies123: 9:09am On Dec 21, 2012
floriana: This president is a merchant of death. 2013, the year many government officials will die from sub-standard vehicles accident
You will lead the way for he who digs a pit he himself shall fall into it!
Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by katordidi(m): 9:18am On Dec 21, 2012
mr president is clearly putting the cart before the horse. Y not start with food products or textile products before jumping to more complex stuff as cars. Nigeria automobiles are not yet ready to compete. Not to say they shouldn't be encouraged.
Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by ABJay1: 9:37am On Dec 21, 2012
floriana: This president is a merchant of death. 2013, the year many government officials will die from sub-standard vehicles accident

Haters will always hate.., a negative person will always only see the negative side of things.

Have people not been dieing from accident involving foreign vehicles? The air crafts that crash are they made in Nigeria..? mtchewww! angry angry angry

It is people like you that has been holding Nigeria back due to your fear of change.., as long as you benefit from the status-quot you fight to resist any sort of change and innovation.

Whether you like it or not, change is here and it is here to stay. Nothing you can do about it grin grin grin
Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by Noblechyk: 9:50am On Dec 21, 2012
Hv u taken ur pills?
Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by ABJay1: 9:53am On Dec 21, 2012
Dis Guy:

erm they produce about 8000 vehicles annually

They produce based on demand, if demand increases they will be force to increase production. All they have to do is employ more man power (skilled and unskilled labour)and banks will not hesitate to grant them loans to expand and acquire more state of the art equipments.
So my friend, meeting demand is never the issue, rather patronage is, and now they will have it. grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by ABJay1: 9:56am On Dec 21, 2012
a1solution: Are they manufacturin car in Nigeria or assembling? Cos i knw at the moment Naija cannot manufacture motor cycle talkless of car.

Google is your friend.. wink cheesy grin
Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by ABJay1: 9:59am On Dec 21, 2012
Faddd: INNOSON Motors for sale!

Me thinks me likes this... grin grin grin
Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by Nobody: 10:06am On Dec 21, 2012
Mr President can breathe life into ds directive by discarding hz armoured S-550s & showing up in one of 'em Innoson motors.
Dangote shld consider investing in ds sector so dat d competition wl birth quality & affordable automobiles 4 us.
Goodluck 4 u...Goodluck 4 me... Goodluck 4 evry1...
Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by Ikwerefistson: 10:07am On Dec 21, 2012
my frnd ure sufering frm mad cow disease.se a vet

2 Likes

Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by cocoduck: 10:10am On Dec 21, 2012
stallion_:
the choper that crashed in bayelsa was it made in nigeria? or substandard?
good question
Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by Abbott(m): 10:14am On Dec 21, 2012
What of all the cars they have on ground? Will they be sold? Unthinking clowns. Who ever said they should ban cars or ban foreign computers? Give us 24 hours electricity, responsive health care, good roads, 88% good roads at least, organised public transportation(dont even worry about that) and a balanced and healthy economy and you will see the sides of Nigerians that is hidden to the world. Ban all foreign cars, if I have to leave the country, I will leave it, to drive to my heart's content all the supercars of this world that have possessed my mind. As fake as Nigerian govt.
Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by solomon111(m): 10:20am On Dec 21, 2012
adconline:

Dumbest post of the year
really?
That's your opinion.
Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by mexzony: 10:22am On Dec 21, 2012
The question is this can locally made cars compete in terms of technology comfort and others stuffs.we see foreign cars with all the high tech and designs and i go crazy because of it.i support the move. Anyway but we have to improve.
Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by Abbott(m): 10:28am On Dec 21, 2012
Well, on second thoughts, since it is for MDAs and their staff, I'm cool with it. I, however, still stand by my post, no second-thinking on it.
Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by Remmyode(m): 10:33am On Dec 21, 2012
Rossikk: Fantastic news. INNOSON Motors can easily meet all their vehicular demand. Great stuff.[/quote

[quote author=Rossikk]Fantastic news. INNOSON Motors can easily meet all their vehicular demand. Great stuff.

Rossikk: Fantastic news. INNOSON Motors can easily meet all their vehicular demand. Great stuff.

Fantastic news indeed but can Innosion deliver? I've heard so much about Innosion and was madly eager to travel in one of their brand to see the standard. 3 weeks ago I was lucky to travel with Innosion bus by Cross Country from Accra to Lagos. The bus look good in shape but I was disappointed with the interiors as most of the accessories is either torn or wear, the A/C not working properly (water coming out from the vent) as every passenger was complaining of high temperature the conductor was complaining of the temperature outside. This was what promptly made me ask how old is the bus from the conductor and to my surprise the bus is just a year old. Innosion need to step up their effort if they have to win over the foreign Auto maker. This is the same way government ban the importation of furniture and till today the local demand/standard can not be compared to the foreign make. I feel the government should encourage the local product and give room for competition with foreign products. It should not be a complete ban.
Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by Afolabs101: 10:35am On Dec 21, 2012
Rossikk: Fantastic news. INNOSON Motors can easily meet all their vehicular demand. Great stuff.

I'm sorry but I must say this:

Our institution bought three staff buses from Innoson Motors at the beginning of the year so as to promote made in Nigeria goods. With all honesty, I tell you that those buses have had one problem or the other. On the second day of usage, one of them developed clutch problem. At least one bus develops fault every two weeks. But trust our ogas, they won't buy Innosen as their official vehicles, it's land cruisers, prados and GL's all the way!

But at least peugeot is still ok, let them be patronising them or stop buying cars! Give them a car allowance that will allow them to lease or buy one car every six years. In our place its every three years they change their cars shocked
Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by amiskurie(m): 10:40am On Dec 21, 2012
Na only u pple go condemn dangote say na monopoly,na only u go encourage am in this case too.okay sha I support anything that favors the country man pikin.

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 11:01am On Dec 21, 2012
While dis is a good development. It should be an incentive for innoson to be even more daring and innovative. I am not totally satisfied with all INNOSON car design so far. I expect more. cool
Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by 5much(m): 11:35am On Dec 21, 2012
INNOSON, i'm sending my CV immediately as a production manager.
Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by Nobody: 11:40am On Dec 21, 2012
I LOVE THIS !!!!!!!!!!!!

All hail INNOSON
Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by nduchucks: 11:41am On Dec 21, 2012
In a way the new policy appears to be a very good one, but in another, it seems to have not been well thought out. I believe the discrepancy may lie in the reporting of the ban.

Local auto manufacturers cannot meet the demand which will result from this new policy hence the ban imposed on Ministries, Departments, and Agencies should have been gradual. They could have required 10 - 15% of the vehicles to be purchased from local manufactures the first few years, for starters.

It is noteworthy that this policy does not affect the legislative or judiciary wings. I hope the publicize the new policy for all to see soon.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Meet The Largest Landlord In Lagos- Alhaji Bola Ahmed Tinubu. / For Those Shouting GEJ Till 2019, Oya Defend This / PDP Optimistic About Winning Osun Governorship Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.