Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,825 members, 7,810,169 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:25 PM

Are You Fully Conscious When Speaking In Tongues? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are You Fully Conscious When Speaking In Tongues? (10598 Views)

Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them / Speaking In Tongues Medical Study Proves Holy Spirit Praying / Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are You Fully Conscious When Speaking In Tongues? by ooman(m): 12:53pm On Dec 23, 2012
SpicyMimi:
You think u r funny shey? The truth is you are the Mad man here! Your thinking faculty is drained, u shud refil it asap! Just so u know...we all gat our dffrt views and opinions here nd we ve d right to xpress them. The fact dat u dont agree wid others doesnt mean u shud go arnd fightn them, just leave everyone to his or her opinion or betterstil u cud go take a backward dive into lagos lagoon!

Shouldnt you be in church praying your heart out? You want to go to hell for cursing a fellow human?
Re: Are You Fully Conscious When Speaking In Tongues? by aglomar: 12:53pm On Dec 23, 2012
I know it is scriptural to speak in tongues (Acts 2:4) Do you start\stop speaking in tongues intentionally like it was English Language? I used to know a white garment church guy who gives us several 'examples' of speaking in tongues.
Re: Are You Fully Conscious When Speaking In Tongues? by Mintayo(m): 12:55pm On Dec 23, 2012
You are just afraid of the evil your God will do to you.

THE THINGS OF GOD IS A MYSTERY TO THEM THAT ARE PERISHING

1 Like

Re: Are You Fully Conscious When Speaking In Tongues? by aglomar: 12:55pm On Dec 23, 2012
I know it is scriptural to speak in tongues (Acts 2:4) Do you start\stop speaking in tongues intentionally like it was English Language? I used to know a white garment church guy who gives us several 'examples' of speaking in tongues. ¤And Halleluyah, I made front page!!¤
Re: Are You Fully Conscious When Speaking In Tongues? by ooman(m): 12:57pm On Dec 23, 2012
Mintayo:
You are just afraid of the evil your God will do to you.

THE THINGS OF GOD IS A MYSTERY TO THEM THAT ARE PERISHING

Yea, people like you
Re: Are You Fully Conscious When Speaking In Tongues? by Nobody: 1:04pm On Dec 23, 2012
N_girl: Yes, you are fully conscious. 85% of people who speak in tongues are pretending. It is a very rare thing. I have never spoken in tongues but I remember when I was very young and I was in the children section of a pentecostal church, the teacher(I don't know what to call her) started trying to force us to speak in tongues and made it look like you're a demon if you're not speaking in tongues. Because of this, a lot of children began pretending that they were speaking in tongues therefore spilling all sorts of nonsense from their mouths while I looked on in shock. That incident for sometime gave me a biased opinion of penticostal churches until I grew older and learnt not to generalize, I'm a catholic by the way. You can be holy all your life and never speak in tongues, that doesn't make you less righteous. Speaking in tongues is a gift and can be giving to anybody but not everybody. We should concentrate more on the fruits which we all have, we just need to help it germinate that's all. MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR in advance!
u re wrong abt dat..just becos u had an unpleasant experience does not mean tongues re not real..ofcos as a believer we all ave d fruits of d spirit operating in our lives..but the gifts of the spirit is also vital in empowering us to witness to the unsaved and to exercise authority over the domain of darkness..u need to have both in order to have a balanced christian experience and that is God's desire for His Children..not having one and neglecting d other.pls get a copy of "The Holy Spirit and His Gifts" by Kenneth Hagin..the book will be a tremendous blessing..just open ur heart to scriptural truths..it is well.
Re: Are You Fully Conscious When Speaking In Tongues? by SpicyMimi(f): 1:08pm On Dec 23, 2012
You all shud quit quoting or replying that thing! As we can see...he is really cwacy!!! A shrink wont b a bad idea....
Re: Are You Fully Conscious When Speaking In Tongues? by Nobody: 1:08pm On Dec 23, 2012
Speaking in tongues has been abused.over 80% of dem are just saying rubish those useless pastors make u feel inferior if u dont speak. Like dat is all there is to christianity.afta speaking in tongues in church they wil go and bang sis ada mtchew
Re: Are You Fully Conscious When Speaking In Tongues? by cold(m): 1:19pm On Dec 23, 2012
I reckon when it's time for tithes & offering,all the gibberish stops. Right

Re: Are You Fully Conscious When Speaking In Tongues? by Nobody: 1:24pm On Dec 23, 2012
Yea, I am always conscious when I am speaking in tongues on top of my lady. But then again let me recite this 'speaking in tongue' and see if i lose consciousness. Please recite with me: "NorthKoreaandSouthKorenJerusalemandJericho,NorthKoreaandSouthKorenJerusalemandJericho,NorthKoreaandSouthKorenJerusalemandJericho,Metusalladiediedie!!!" I cant believe am still conscious. There is nothing like speaking in tongues, its all a grand scam.
Re: Are You Fully Conscious When Speaking In Tongues? by aglomar: 1:28pm On Dec 23, 2012
Bidam: thanks. So u assert that u can pray in tongues at will?
Re: Are You Fully Conscious When Speaking In Tongues? by sweetrace(f): 1:35pm On Dec 23, 2012
Bidam: u re wrong abt dat..just becos u had an unpleasant experience does not mean tongues re not real..ofcos as a believer we all ave d fruits of d spirit operating in our lives.
.but the gifts of the spirit is also vital in empowering us to witness to the unsaved and to exercise authority over the domain of darkness..u need to have both in order to have a balanced christian experience and that is God's desire for His Children..not having one and neglecting d other.pls get a copy of "The Holy Spirit and His Gifts" by Kenneth Hagin..the book will be a tremendous blessing..just open ur heart to scriptural truths..it is well.

She is absolutely right. The Holy spirit gives the gifts. You may sa ask for a specific gift, but the Holy Spirit knows what you need. My advice, please read 1 Corintians 14.
At Op, yes one is usually conscious. However, not every christian will speak in tongues. It is a gift given by the Holy Spirit to whomever He wants to.
In Nigeria, emphasis is placed on speaking in tongues as evidence of ones christianity, which is so baseless. They quote Acts 2:4 assuming that it must happen that way for everyone.
Meanwhile, I honestly don't know why the Pastor will say to speak in tongues to your neighbor. This is what 1 Corinthians 14:6 says about that. "Now, brothers and sisters, if I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will I be to you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction?"

3 Likes

Re: Are You Fully Conscious When Speaking In Tongues? by IdiAmin2(m): 1:46pm On Dec 23, 2012
The speaking in tongues done in churches today is not what is described in Acts 2. Acts2 has absolutely nothing to do with the 'rababarabobo' done in churches nowadays. The event Acts 2 describes is about real languages. The apostles preached in Arameic, and it says all the people present listening said 'how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?' The people did not speak Arameic, they were from Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, Mesopotamia, Cappadocia,Phrygia, amphylia, Libya. each person heard the Aramaic his in own language, go read it. For example, if you speak only English, and u preach to a French and Italian who don't understand a word of English, as you are speaking your english, the Frenchman hears french & the Italian hears Italian simultaneously. That is what Acts 2 describes not 'orobobobobokaka' that u call evidence of having the so called holy Ghost. if u do your research, that type of uncordinated speech is linked with the occult.

1 Like

Re: Are You Fully Conscious When Speaking In Tongues? by IdiAmin2(m): 1:52pm On Dec 23, 2012
aglomar: I know it is scriptural to speak in tongues (Acts 2:4) Do you start\stop speaking in tongues intentionally like it was English Language? I used to know a white garment church guy who gives us several 'examples' of speaking in tongues.

The speaking in tongues done in churches today is not what is described in Acts 2. Acts2 has absolutely nothing to do with the 'rababarabobo' done in churches nowadays. The event Acts 2 describes is about real languages. The apostles preached in Arameic, and it says all the people present listening said 'how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?' The people did not speak Arameic, they were from Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, Mesopotamia, Cappadocia,Phrygia, amphylia, Libya. each person heard the Aramaic his in own language, go read it. For example, if you speak only English, and u preach to a French and Italian who don't understand a word of English, as you are speaking your english, the Frenchman hears french & the Italian hears Italian simultaneously. That is what Acts 2 describes not 'orobobobobokaka' that u call evidence of having the so called holy Ghost. if u do your research, that type of uncordinated speech is linked with the occult.

1 Like

Re: Are You Fully Conscious When Speaking In Tongues? by vislabraye(m): 1:53pm On Dec 23, 2012
berem: Speaking in tongues? The last time I spoke in tongues was when my teacher flogged stars out of my head back then in secondary school! As I was speaking it,my wicked teacher was saying Amen. grin

shocked I pity you O.
Re: Are You Fully Conscious When Speaking In Tongues? by Nobody: 1:53pm On Dec 23, 2012
aglomar: Bidam: thanks. So u assert that u can pray in tongues at will?
I love what smith wigglesworth said. He said if d Spirit doesn't move me i move the spirit..remember we re the temple of the HolySpirit and He resides in us after the ascension of our Lord Jesus Christ..i often wake up @ night to pray and i start initially with tongues den later scriptures keeps coming to my mind and i begin to pray them as the Spirit leads..sumtimes i get caught up and the intensity of my prayer changes and i find myself groaning and making proclamations in tongues and later in english..it is a refreshing experience i tell you..mostimes i discover i spent 3hrs without even being conscious of the time..after the prayer there is d sense of peace that permeates my entire being and i face the challenges of the day with ease and confidence..when am with pple during the day i sing hymns and spiritual songs in my hrt quietly so as not to be a nuisance..and any time am in an environment where words spoken are not edifying i just walk away so as not to grieve the Holy Spirit.

3 Likes

Re: Are You Fully Conscious When Speaking In Tongues? by obicentlis: 2:01pm On Dec 23, 2012
SpicyMimi:
Sharrapp! How do u know this? U saw him shey? People are fond of exagerrations! Cooking up or adding more to the story! I aint buying it!
You must not abuse someone bf You drive Home your point. Argue on point not on sentiments.

3 Likes

Re: Are You Fully Conscious When Speaking In Tongues? by vislabraye(m): 2:04pm On Dec 23, 2012
Idi-Amin:

Which bible do you read.
When you speak in tongues, do you know the language you communicate in?

I heard of a Nigerian who went to a fellowship in the US. A certain black American was speaking in tongues, but in actual fact, the tongue was in Igbo language. To the black American he was speaking gibberish, but to the Nigerian he spoke sense.

BTW who says it must be an earthly language? There are tongues of angels and various other tongues. Do your research. If not there wouldn't be need for the gift of tongues interpretation.

1 Like

Re: Are You Fully Conscious When Speaking In Tongues? by IdiAmin2(m): 2:12pm On Dec 23, 2012
vislabraye:

Which bible do you read.
When you speak in tongues, do you know the language you communicate in?

I heard of a Nigerian who went to a fellowship in the US. A certain black American was speaking in tongues, but in actual fact, the tongue was in Igbo language. To the black American he was speaking gibberish, but to the Nigerian he spoke sense.

BTW who says it must be an earthly language? There are tongues of angels and various other tongues. Do your research. If not there wouldn't be need for the gift of tongues interpretation.

There is something called 'reading'. READ the text you slowpoke. How come the people said ''how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?' in other words they are saying 'i can hear this people speaking in my mother tongue'. black people can't read and comprehend, morons!!! SMH

1 Like

Re: Are You Fully Conscious When Speaking In Tongues? by Originalsly: 2:14pm On Dec 23, 2012
I do believe most tongue speakers are fully conscious when hmmm...speaking in tongues. Since the pastor can tell them when to start and when to stop means that they are conscious and while mouth is blasting ears are listening for further instructions or cues. The ones who lose control either become possessed by some evil spirit or are half mad period. If the Holy Spirit gives you the gift of speaking in tongues....what is the purpose?.... for you to make a whole heap of noise in church?... for you to pray to God?... can He not read your heart?... or if you don't shout He wouldn't know what you want? ...and who in the Bible been praying in tongues?.... or who been telling or training people to speak in tongues?.... or who was baptised by the Holy Spirit? You are free to believe what you want to believe but don't misinterpret and deceive people by telling them that the blabberings and hollerings and hysteria is God's gift. Ask yourself how different is the talking in tongues session different from that in the Tower of Babel? Is God a God of confusion? Nonsense....under the Anti-Christ and don't even know.
Re: Are You Fully Conscious When Speaking In Tongues? by Nobody: 2:21pm On Dec 23, 2012
sweetrace:

She is absolutely right. The Holy spirit gives the gifts. You may sa ask for a specific gift, but the Holy Spirit knows what you need. My advice, please read 1 Corintians 14.
At Op, yes one is usually conscious. However, not every christian will speak in tongues. It is a gift given by the Holy Spirit to whomever He wants to.
In Nigeria, emphasis is placed on speaking in tongues as evidence of ones christianity, which is so baseless. They quote Acts 2:4 assuming that it must happen that way for everyone.
Meanwhile, I honestly don't know why the Pastor will say to speak in tongues to your neighbor. This is what 1 Corinthians 14:6 says about that. "Now, brothers and sisters, if I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will I be to you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction?"
you are right and also wrong my dear..right in d sense dat the Holy Spirit is the giver of Gifts but wrong in d sense dat tongues is not for all believers..there is a difference between diversities of tongues which requires an interpreter so d church may be edified and devotional tongues which all believers are baptised in..remember paul never discouraged believers to pray in tongues in ur personal devotion to God..if not why would He say i thank my God i speak in tongues more than all of you..the diversities of gifts is for administration and the Spirit wills so the Church may be edified(1cor12)..but d devotional gift of tongues which is for all believers is for personal edification(1 cor14:4)(jude1:20)..remember all recieved the gift of tongues in act2. Paul was filled with d Holy Spirit in act9:18. Peter went to d house of cornelius and all were baptised with d evidence of speaking in tongues act10:46. Paul met some believers who had only john baptism(water)..but he laid hands on them and they were filled with the Holy Ghost and spake with tongues:act 19:6.. U can see from the scriptures dat All not some received the HOLY SPIRIT BAPTISM WITH D EVIDENCE OF SPEAKING IN TONGUES...the HOLY SPIRIT IS IN MEASURES when u are born again u ave a measure..when u re baptised u ave another measure..na The Same HOLY SPIRIT O..
Re: Are You Fully Conscious When Speaking In Tongues? by trolling(m): 2:28pm On Dec 23, 2012
speaking in whose "tongue" because tongues are languages to be interpreted by someone,well if you speak that "tongue" like mad men do then we know who is speaking through you? its a demon
Re: Are You Fully Conscious When Speaking In Tongues? by Meklex(m): 2:32pm On Dec 23, 2012
I write down my own speaking in tongues on a paper and quickly looks at it if I'm missing a line...
Re: Are You Fully Conscious When Speaking In Tongues? by Originalsly: 2:33pm On Dec 23, 2012
Idi-Amin:

Why can't the hmmm....Men of God and their followers still can't get this? You have done well to break it down like this. I hoe some peole will now understand what really took place on the Day of Pentecost ... and never happened again. When they spoke....their words basically entered each man's ears in his own language. They spoke...everyone understood....now pastor speak...no one understand...not even the pastor sef! ...na wa oo!
Re: Are You Fully Conscious When Speaking In Tongues? by vislabraye(m): 2:59pm On Dec 23, 2012
Idi-Amin:

There is something called 'reading'. READ the text you slowpoke. How come the people said ''how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?' in other words they are saying 'i can hear this people speaking in my mother tongue'. black people can't read and comprehend, morons!!! SMH

I was replying the rubbish you wrote and I'm wondering whether you read the scriptures upside down.
I should rather say you're the one who doesn't read or you read but don't understand.
Re: Are You Fully Conscious When Speaking In Tongues? by stjudas(m): 3:19pm On Dec 23, 2012
This is why i hate religion! Every one is confused abt every issue. The bible can simply be summarized in the sentence: 'love ur neighbour as u love yaself. If speaking in tongues, baptism, & tithing is not a guarantee of making heaven why do i need to bother myself abt wat am not sure about. Abeg, make i reach okija shrine, joor!!!
Re: Are You Fully Conscious When Speaking In Tongues? by vandarsar(m): 3:29pm On Dec 23, 2012
Speaking in tongue is fraud....
Re: Are You Fully Conscious When Speaking In Tongues? by vandarsar(m): 3:31pm On Dec 23, 2012
Lecture us then. Fake Christians.
vislabraye:

I was replying the rubbish you wrote and I'm wondering whether you read the scriptures upside down.
I should rather say you're the one who doesn't read or you read but don't understand.
Re: Are You Fully Conscious When Speaking In Tongues? by IdiAmin2(m): 3:32pm On Dec 23, 2012
vislabraye:

which rubbish are you talking about, which bloody scriptures, first of all I m not a christian and dont believe in the bull-carp book. It is written in black and white in the bloody book that the crowd understood what the apostle preached in Aramaic, each man heard the Aramaic in his own language. Just read the text and stop letting your brainwashed under-developed christian thinking skills do the thinking for you. This is why I hate religion, the sheep just follow what they have been told and close their brain out. No where is it written in the so called bloody scriptures that the apostles were saying 'robobobokakaka' that nobody else understood, even the speaker
Re: Are You Fully Conscious When Speaking In Tongues? by IdiAmin2(m): 3:39pm On Dec 23, 2012
vandarsar: Speaking in tongue is fraud....

Exactly, it is fraud, absolute nonsense.

Until I see a yoruba preacher teach in the yoruba language, and simultaneously in the congregation, the igbo man hears igbo, hausa man hears hausa, calabar man hears calabar, isoko man hears isoko, all at the same time, then the 'rababakokokoraba' is FRAUD
Re: Are You Fully Conscious When Speaking In Tongues? by philipstanley(m): 3:48pm On Dec 23, 2012
Many are really saying wat de dont knw.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Crucified Again -exposing Islams New War On Christians / I Keep Seeing Myself In My Secondary School,in My Dreams / Need A Flyer Design?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.