Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,459 members, 7,770,142 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 05:36 AM

Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? (17957 Views)

Cars On Google Trader Very Cheap . How Real?? / What Is The Difference Between Pre-ordered Cars From Abroad & Cars From Cotonuo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? by Arcard(m): 2:23pm On Dec 24, 2012
nigerianhero: [size=18pt]ask cotonou people[/size]
hmmm z da ur families picture
Re: Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? by kaze4blues(m): 2:25pm On Dec 24, 2012
Me don't deal wt cars...only private jets...
Contact me for urs 2day.

By d way, hw does ds improve electricity supply in nigeria.
Re: Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? by nebeolis: 2:33pm On Dec 24, 2012
asked obasonjo
Re: Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? by rimax: 2:50pm On Dec 24, 2012
nigerianhero: [size=18pt]ask cotonou people[/size]
is it true tht cars are sooo cheap una country.....
Re: Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? by kojexemma: 3:00pm On Dec 24, 2012
the cars from cotonou are imported mostly by Lebanese guys who are into money lundary and drugs, since they cannot take out the cash from those countries, they buy cars and sell at cheap prices just to recover their money, plus there is no loss for them, it's all profit. TRUE STORY cool
Re: Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? by Lovine: 3:12pm On Dec 24, 2012
Car dealers will always tell you Cotonou cars are junk don't believe them. Most cars driven in Nigeria are from Cotonou. No customs arrests any vehicle cleared from Cotonou if done genuinely

1 Like

Re: Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? by deelite: 3:17pm On Dec 24, 2012
I think they are cheap cos of exchange rate. Not sure tho
Re: Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? by obimind(m): 3:36pm On Dec 24, 2012
kojex_emma: the cars from cotonou are imported mostly by Lebanese guys who are into money lundary and drugs, since they cannot take out the cash from those countries, they buy cars and sell at cheap prices just to recover their money, plus there is no loss for them, it's all profit. TRUE STORY cool
True story bro!
Re: Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? by tomzman: 3:42pm On Dec 24, 2012
Though cotonou cars are quite cheaper than the ones in Nigeria, From experience, I would not advise anyone to buy cars from cotonou.
1 some of the cars are stolen cars
2 most times, you go there and pay for a full car but by the time your car arrives in Naija, you might discover that the radio or cd player and other parts have been removed.
3 The issue of custom papers.Most cars from cotonou are brought into Naija with fake custom papers and if you are someone that is not observant, God help you when you fall into the hands of custom officials.
so my advice is to go to Lagos to buy your cars and make sure you examine every part of any car you want to buy very well before paying for it.
Re: Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? by 360command: 3:43pm On Dec 24, 2012
Cotonou cars are cheap becos anything can be imported into the country(Benin rep) which the govt has no control over imported goods... na suffer country
Re: Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? by larryshow4(m): 3:58pm On Dec 24, 2012
[b]Cars in cotonou are cheap considering alot of factors.... First and foremost...the exchange rate at which the car gets to the car-stand there in cotonou might be totally different from the present exchange rate when you want to buy and when they input the figure at which they want to sell.. you might be lucky he might be selling you at the exchange rate he purchased it back then which might be some few months back, except you purchasing the car immediately its cleared into the park.

When dealers in cotonou want to make purchase of car in the states or around europe... they make purchase of lots of them... might be buying like 50-100 Cars and when you are buying it from the states, you might be buying just 1 or 2. and when cars get to cotonou, the dealer is not the one that pays there custom's duty online here in Nigeria, when as a dealer you buy your car from the states and it gets to the port, you have to pay and bring it out to your stand, Unlike in cotonou, it is when you purchase your car, you've to clear it through customs though your agent and all.. and the rate of there customs is less cheap compare to tincan.. then you have to bring it down to the boarder where you would now pay the Nigerian customs and to some people they find a way of cutting that aside, which they might later have problem while using the car with customs, depending on there luck. But for some cars, they are cheaper in lagos than cotonou, but the fact is just that you have lots of verities to pick from when you are purchasing it in cotonou.

Alot of reasons why cars are cheap out there and a lot of reasons why cars are expensive out there... If you are lucky and come across honest agents, you would be happy you purchased a car from cotonou and if you don't find honest agent... you would regret for so long purchasing your car from cotonou.

[/b]
Re: Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? by symbianDON(m): 4:29pm On Dec 24, 2012
cars in cotonou are not really as cheap as car dealers make it out to sound. I have been to their parcs so many times and i can tell this: you can get to a certain car lot and find 10 of the same car brand for differing prices!! In some cases, the difference may be upto 1million cfa! Our dealers here in nigeria are quite shrewed and will mostly always quote the least price for any car type you want. Remember the dealer's aim is to maximize profit not necessarily to bring you the best car he gets in cotonou. Now the lebanese in cotonou who price same brand cars differently know exactly what they are doing. Some of the cars in cotonou actually come with varying degrees of problems ranging from accidented to bad engines but they are fixed over there and sold cheaply. A clean titled car in cotonou with no issues whatsoever never comes cheap except it is stolen. Word!!!!
Re: Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? by ganye1: 4:36pm On Dec 24, 2012
nebeolis: asked obasonjo
[b][/b]
'asked'? This is serious.
Re: Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? by badboym: 5:11pm On Dec 24, 2012
I am new to Car selling Biz and from what I have observed so far,Cars from Cotonou are not cheaper than Cars brought in from US or Canada.It mostly depend on where you are getting the car from.Most of our prominent dealers tend to make ridiculous profit and that's why people who don't know much about where to buy think buying from Cotonou is cheaper.For example,a friend of mine who introduced me to the biz sold a camry(98-99) tiny light for 750K recently even though the odometer was about 200K.Some dealers would reduce the Odometer and maybe work on cars like that and put it in the market for maybe 1.1m or 1.2m or even higher.

If you compare the prices of cars from the U.S including money for shipping and clearance at the seaport here with the price to purchase from Cotonou,it will likely be same price.The extra you pay to get it to your doorstep from Cotonou will be the difference.The difference cost 200K or even more.i.e While you can get a Camry (98-99) tiny light to your door step from USA for 750K-800K...It will cost nothing less than 900K from Cotonou.It is better to buy from the US cos Cars from Cotonou are sort of illegal.You need to pay custom duty else it could be impounded.I hope this makes sense.
Re: Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? by Nobody: 6:34pm On Dec 24, 2012
Billyonaire: 1. Import Tax on Automobiles in Cotonou is far cheaper than in Lagos
2. Most clearing agents in cotonou use fake custom papers and smuggle the cars into Nigeria.
3. Cotonou Carlot owners are not as greedy as their Nigerian contemporaries.
4. The fluctuation marginal difference occasioned by foreign exchange plays a role.
5. Most Cotonou imports are flood and/or salvaged
Correct points, can't think of any other reason.
Re: Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? by emmanjnr(m): 6:37pm On Dec 24, 2012
Pls where can i find d cheaper car stand then..?
badboym: I am new to Car selling Biz and from what I have observed so far,Cars from Cotonou are not cheaper than Cars brought in from US or Canada.It mostly depend on where you are getting the car from.Most of our prominent dealers tend to make ridiculous profit and that's why people who don't know much about where to buy think buying from Cotonou is cheaper.For example,a friend of mine who introduced me to the biz sold a camry(98-99) tiny light for 750K recently even though the odometer was about 200K.Some dealers would reduce the Odometer and maybe work on cars like that and put it in the market for maybe 1.1m or 1.2m or even higher.

If you compare the prices of cars from the U.S including money for shipping and clearance at the seaport here with the price to purchase from Cotonou,it will likely be same price.The extra you pay to get it to your doorstep from Cotonou will be the difference.The difference cost 200K or even more.i.e While you can get a Camry (98-99) tiny light to your door step from USA for 750K-800K...It will cost nothing less than 900K from Cotonou.It is better to buy from the US cos Cars from Cotonou are sort of illegal.You need to pay custom duty else it could be impounded.I hope this makes sense.
Re: Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? by jeroton: 7:49pm On Dec 24, 2012
Its not only cars ,everything is cheap in cotonou than in naija.
Re: Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? by hardbody: 8:12pm On Dec 24, 2012
I want to dispel some rumors here which I believe is being fueled by car marketers from the US. I bought my first car, a mercedes benz from Cotonou in year 2000. I saw the customs papers and knew they were fake, I had asked around in Lagos and got a price differential of about 80k between those shipped in through Lagos and the one I got from Cotonou. That benz is still fit and working in a perfect condition, infect, my cousin I gave it to is hitting the villa with it tomorrow.

My point? You can buy a good car from Cotonou, the papers may very likely be fake, however, once the car has landed my doorstep, I have no business with customs, this because the law does not empower anyone to ask me for more than motor insurance, car license and my drivers licence and those are all I present to anyone asking for particulars, and those ones are always genuine.

If I was still driving Tokunbo cars, I will still be buying from Cotonou, simple.
Re: Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? by Rhedorlahi(m): 1:56am On Dec 25, 2012
May be those cars are fairly use
Re: Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? by earthrealm(m): 7:10am On Dec 25, 2012
very good points stated here......but it seems a lot of people dont understand statistical data.
u cant say that because you bought an accidented/salavage car from cotonu and that it has been serving u for donkey yrs, no issues...then all accidented/salvage cars are good!.

u cant also say that becayuse u hv been driving ur car, imported from cotonu with fake custom papers and havnt had any issues with nigerian customs on the rd......that its a 100% guarantee that anyone can comfortablly drive with fake customs papers in nigeria.

for example toyota produces 10 million brands of a particular model per year and 10,000 of such cars have defects, then lats say chevrolet produce 100,000 of a particular model and 300 units are defective..........the avg nigerian/ignorant person will not understand that even though chevrolet only has 300 defective vehicles, unlike toyota with 10,000 defective vehicles. that cumulatively or statistically, toyota has better good to defective car ratio than chevrolet.

shocked cool grin cheesy
Re: Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? by arbitrage: 8:13am On Dec 25, 2012
Is there any website where you can browse to see Cotonou vehicle price deals?
Re: Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? by clip: 10:28am On Dec 25, 2012
Good tread.
Re: Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? by ochina1(m): 3:54pm On Dec 25, 2012
sometimes folks just open their mouth to talk thrash n claim they r so sure, where as they just no only what they think or were told.
nairaland folks.. truth is cotonu cars r imported from the same US UK N EUROPE like the ones cleared through tincan.
lag dealers import few cars and far between, cotonu dealers bring in way to many @d same tym. it saves them a lot.
salvage accidented cars are in cotonu n also way2 many here tru that same tincan.. so who Is dat dude making noise about salvage. frm cotonu?
if u r smart wouldnt the wisest thing 2do be to just confirm d carfax report b4 purchase, either from cotonu or lagos??
now some talk about custom papers.. lets address that.. 2d best of my knowledge and the last tym I checked Nigeria Customs still @ d border inspecting, issuing valid docx n registering vehicles coming in2 naija for about the same rates as apply for same vehicles at tincan. so that point is dispelled aswell. if u choose to fly urs its a different story, n more importantly.. its ur choice.
now heres the deal.. any buyer should do his due diligence the best he can b4 purchasing anything from anywhere.. simple.
pray 4a good agent 2 handle ur transactions and beg God for the best.. shikena.
iv actually ordered cars from the US tru tincan and also tru cotonu ports.. so I am not blindly arguing.. am sure.
its cheaper to purchase almost any car generally from cotonu, regardless of grade.. some made noise about salvage in cotonu, well its not hidden to start with and its not illegal, the repair boothes r in d open in car lots there, they dont hv tym to lie or talk grammer ther unlike most lag dealers who also ship salvage cars n fixit @my mechanix place on bode thomas rollback odometer in canada n stil sell @ grade a rates.. so u c.. its very tricky any which ways.
iv done deals with YK autos, duduconsultt, and a few others like oga me tadeus, akogun n co on d cotonu end.. av also don deals with oga calculusx and co from d US tincan end.. and we always chck vins either ways plus we move with a trusted mechanik when we do cotonu, so our clients r hardly eva dsapointed.. 4 petes sake shawn was bringin in salvage cars fixing them up prim n propa n selling on NL n we bought.. so u c it al dpends on who does what for u..
back to the matter.. if u buying directly from owner, then lags not so bad or If u buying from a trusted dealer well no wahala if u on a budget then cotonu avails u d oportunity 2 xplor numerous options @ saving some change, aslong as ur agent is str8 fwd n can lay down al d options b4 u so u cn choos wat risk u can afford.
remember that lag dealers Import to sell so they must make some money weda u like it or not.. cotonu dealers sell for less cos they spend less to land cars, they also hv dis xchange rate advantage.. I once paid fora highlander in $$ in cotonu using d lebanese cost of purchase in $$ against dia cefa.. I saved a lot n he was glad cz itwas more useful 2him as against changn our naira to cefa den changing cefa 2 $$, fellow car dealers wld unstand me better.
in a nutshell my luvly NL people.;
cars r cheaper.. good n bad cars r cheapa in cotonu
cotonu offers u so many varieties of any 1car u want
carfax is ur best friend weda lagos or cotonu
cars in lag are cool aswell.. bt b wary most r actually salvage aswell cz naija bizmen r naturally greedier than the lebanese bizmen. d bad ones funny enuf r influenced by naija selfish agents who r afta their kickback or cutin cotonu.
n finally pray b4 u buy n work with trusted dealers, if possible make friends with few b4 u buy.
I think av sed, enuf for a year..lol.
not dissing any1 or takin sides.. m jst stating d obvious.
so feel free to appreciate or take blind swings folks I really dnt giv a honk. cz il still pre order frm d US tru tincan for oga nesta in jos and still get barrister doris in abuja her rav4 frm cotonu o n both wld com grade a/b with clean titles, previewed carfax reports courtesy of a fellow NLder.
difference is oga nesta will spend a lil mor tym and money while doris wld spend a lot less tym n mony o.. both would gt d best nevertheless.
Feliz navidad fellow NLders.. luv u guys

1 Like

Re: Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? by watchindelta(m): 5:08pm On Dec 25, 2012
abeg i fit see smal car 260,000buk for benin or lag. Cuz trenkin wan kill me here in warri oh! Am serious.
Re: Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? by addictiv(m): 10:47pm On Dec 25, 2012
Mehn 680k for 2008 rav4!!! You have got to kidding me
Re: Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? by cogsej06(m): 9:22am On Dec 26, 2012
pls.....I hv already open a thread....hw much is a tokunbo hummer bus with 2RZ Engine no? Pls 4 car dealers in d house I need ur honest response n reply.
Re: Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? by Nobody: 9:22am On Dec 26, 2012
Make u go join TOKUNBO CARS SCHOOL OF MANAGMENT ! u go understand the maths! cool cool cool

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

5 Pros And Cons Of Buying A New Car For Now(for you to Be Financially Conscious) / 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics / V4 And V6 Engines - Why Nigerians are Running Away From V6?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.