Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,004 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:28 AM

North American Airlines To Discontinue International Scheduled Service To Lagos - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / North American Airlines To Discontinue International Scheduled Service To Lagos (1498 Views)

Ethiopian Airlines To Begin Flights To Kano / Airlines To Compensate Passengers For Delayed Flights, Others. / Ethiopian Airlines To Start Flights To Enugu Airport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

North American Airlines To Discontinue International Scheduled Service To Lagos by Panache(m): 11:56pm On Feb 19, 2008
North American Airlines to Discontinue International Scheduled Service to Lagos, Accra and Georgetown

Will Redeploy Aircraft into Charter Market

JAMAICA, N.Y. (Feb. 19, 2008) – North American Airlines today announced that it will discontinue scheduled service between the United States and the cities of Lagos, Nigeria; Accra, Ghana; and Georgetown, Guyana. All flights in these markets will be completed by May 20, 2008.

“North American has a long history of serving the New York-Guyana market, and we were the first U.S. airline in decades to fly non-stop service from the United States to sub-Saharan Africa,” said Rob Binns, Chief Commercial and Planning Officer. “We have been pleased that all of these markets have performed on a revenue basis as we anticipated. What now makes these markets untenable is the rising cost of fuel. We have seen our jet fuel costs increase 60 percent since we entered the Africa markets in 2005.

“This was a difficult decision, especially in light of the continuing support we have received from the governments and the traveling public in our Africa markets,” Binns said. “We also have had excellent customer response to our nonstop service between Georgetown and John F. Kennedy International Airport since its inception in 1999, and we regret that economic conditions now force us to bring these flights to an end.”

All customers currently booked on discontinued North American flights will receive a refund for the unused portion of their reservation or may opt to travel on an earlier date. For questions and refunds, contact North American at 1-800-359-6222. In Accra, customers may call 21-911086; in Lagos they may call 271-6380 and in Georgetown, the local phone number is 227-5805. Additional information can also be found on http://www.flynaa.com/.

"North American's modern Boeing 757/767 fleet is in high demand and we will redeploy these aircraft profitably in the charter market," Binns said.

North American Airlines, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Global Aero Logistics Inc., is a U.S.-certificated air carrier offering air transportation services throughout the world for the U.S. military and commercial customers. Founded in 1989, North American operates a fleet of 10 passenger aircraft.

MEDIA CONTACT:
Steve Forsyth
770-632-8322
Re: North American Airlines To Discontinue International Scheduled Service To Lagos by theopops: 12:10am On Feb 20, 2008
That's sad. Was planning on using them next year.
Re: North American Airlines To Discontinue International Scheduled Service To Lagos by chika98: 12:17am On Feb 20, 2008
Na wa o. BA or KLM all the way man
Re: North American Airlines To Discontinue International Scheduled Service To Lagos by Delta007(m): 12:20am On Feb 20, 2008
Na only Delta remain; i hope Arik and Virgin start sometime this year as predicted. I'm sick of flying thru Europe. I didnt mind using NAA last year.
Re: North American Airlines To Discontinue International Scheduled Service To Lagos by dafman(m): 5:43am On Feb 20, 2008
Too bad, that was the airline I took when leaving Naija. Nice service onboard I must say.
Re: North American Airlines To Discontinue International Scheduled Service To Lagos by Thelord(m): 3:08am On Feb 21, 2008
Here we go, we still have 60 days plan your booking now!!!

Why is NAA discontinuing its scheduled service operations beyond May 19, 2008?
What makes NAA's scheduled service operations untenable is the rising cost of fuel, with jet fuel costs increasing 60 percent since 2005. This was a difficult decision, especially in light of the continuing support we have received from the governments and the traveling public in these markets. NAA's modern Boeing 757/767 fleet is in high demand and NAA will redeploy these aircraft profitably in the charter market.

When will NAA discontinue its scheduled service flights between New York and Georgetown, Guyana
The last JFK GEO flight NA091 will depart JFK on May 19, 2008 and the return flight NA092 from GEO to JFK will depart GEO on May 19, 2008.

When will NAA discontinue its scheduled service flights between Baltimore / New York and Accra, Ghana
The last BWI / JFK to ACC flight NA125 will depart JFK on May 18,2008 and the last return flight NA126 from ACC to JFK / BWI will depart ACC on May 20, 2008.

>>>>>[b]When will NAA discontinue its scheduled service flights between Baltimore / New York and Lagos, Nigeria
[flash=200,200][/flash]The last BWI / JFK to LOS flight NA133 will depart JFK on May 17, 2008 and the last return flight NA134 from LOS to JFK / BWI will depart LOS on May 18, 2008. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Does NAA have sufficient funds for refunding reservations beyond May 19, 2008?
Only NAA's scheduled service operations will be discontinued, but NAA will remain in business as an airline, and therefore sufficient funds for refunding reservations for travel beyond May 19, 2008 will be available.

I booked my refundable or non-refundable flights for travel beyond May 19, 2008 on flynaa.com and paid by credit card. How do I get refunded?
NAA will automatically refund both segments of your reservation to the credit card used for the purchase; it may take up to 10 days to process the refund and will show on your next statement after the 10 day processing period.

I booked my refundable or non-refundable flights for travel beyond May 19, 2008 through a travel agency. How do I get refunded?
You will need to contact your travel agency for a refund.

I traveled to my destination, but my return flight on NAA will be beyond May 19, 2008. What are my options?
You can change your return travel date to a NAA flight prior to May 19, 2008 by contacting 1-800-FLY-NAA2, and NAA will waive the change fee, or NAA will refund the unused segment to the original form of payment.

I want to make a reservation for flights before May 19, 2008. What should I do?
When your flight(s) take place before May 19, 2008 you can book on-line at flynaa.com, contact the NAA reservation center at 1-800-FLY-NAA2, one of our regional offices, or your local travel agency.
Re: North American Airlines To Discontinue International Scheduled Service To Lagos by Dreloaded(f): 3:13am On Feb 21, 2008
My dad just told me about this. Lol he's quite upset, since he wanted to use them this summer and their last flight is in May. How lame.
Re: North American Airlines To Discontinue International Scheduled Service To Lagos by almondjoy(f): 8:07am On Feb 21, 2008
Well, that should teach us to start learning how to become a "manufacturing industry" instead of a "consumer nation".

It is laughable that we have crude oil to sell to the world, but have no international aircrafts meeting basic international safety standards to service Nigerians and the rest of the world. We can make a barrel $1000 per barrel, but will have to pay more to get us in and out of Nigeria and around the world. One less international carrier to Nigeria.  I wonder if this is going to be a trend.  Maybe Delta or KLM next, who knows? Or is it a way of them peeps tellin' us what we can do with our crude oil?

Hmmmmmmmmmm! cheesy

Just thinking.

(1) (Reply)

Travel Insurance Is Very Cheap And Affordable But The Cover Is Elaborate! / Have You Gone To Bayelsa State Before?. / 300 Tourist Locations In The Country Of The Kingdom Of Western Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.