Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,089 members, 7,825,434 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 02:31 PM

Airlines To Compensate Passengers For Delayed Flights, Others. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Airlines To Compensate Passengers For Delayed Flights, Others. (8170 Views)

Arik Air Delays Passengers For 6Hours At Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport, Abuja / Airlines Will Now Compensate Passengers For Delay, Cancelled Flights - Minister / Ethiopian Airlines To Start Flights To Enugu Airport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Airlines To Compensate Passengers For Delayed Flights, Others. by Nobody: 7:34pm On Jul 05, 2013
As NCAA implements Passengers Bill of Rights

Foreign and domestic airlines operating in the country will from August pay heavy fines and compensations for flight delays, cancellations, lost baggage and other related anomalies with the scheduled implementation of the Passengers Bill of Rights.

The Director-General, Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority, Dr. Fola Akinkuotu, made the disclosure at an open forum held at the NCAA's office in Lagos on Thursday.

He said the Passengers Bill of Right would be circulated to all stakeholders in the sector before the end of this month.

"The Passengers Bill of Rights will come into effect before the end of July; the passengers and airline operators will get to know their rights and obligations. The regulator will just sit to make sure there is compliance," Akinkuotu said.

The NCAA boss said it was high time airline operators stopped maltreating their passengers, adding that the implementation of the bill of rights would help put an end to unfair practices by airlines.

He gave an assurance that the regulatory body would leave no stone unturned in ensuring that both passengers and airlines were given enough information about the bill within the next two to three weeks.

Akinkuotu added, "It is not good for passengers to get raw deals from the airlines. What is sauce for the geese is also sauce for the gander. We have a responsibility to ensure that the bill of rights works.

"We need to make sure passengers get good deals and value for their money. We need to let them know that air transport is the best way to go, and that they will get good deals and value for money."

The bill of rights was first introduced to stakeholders early last year in Lagos.

NCAA had said then that the new set of rights applied to passengers departing from an airport located within the Nigerian territory to another airport within the country; passengers departing from an airport located in another country to an airport situated within Nigeria; and to foreign air transportation with respect to non-stop flight segments originating at a point within the country.

The regulatory body, however, noted that the new regulations would not apply to passengers traveling free of charge or at reduced fares not available directly or indirectly to the general public.

It said the rule would apply to passengers having tickets issued under a frequent flyer programme or other commercial programmes by an air carrier or tour operator

Akinkuotu, in his first public appearance after his confirmation as the new DG of NCAA, said he would work with the airlines operators if they followed the rules.

He said the regulatory body would have a human face, just as it would not tolerate any unlawful act from any operator or service provider.

Akinkuotu and his team assured operators at the open forum that NCAA would do everything possible to move the sector forward.

The DG also said the agency would make the process of registering aircraft in the country easier.

source: http://odili.net/news/source/2013/jul/5/827.html

3 Likes

Re: Airlines To Compensate Passengers For Delayed Flights, Others. by Nobody: 7:56pm On Jul 05, 2013
Good Move, lets see how these useless Nigerian Airlines will act silly to passengers again
Re: Airlines To Compensate Passengers For Delayed Flights, Others. by Nobody: 8:02pm On Jul 05, 2013
eddiebruk: Good Move, lets see how these useless Nigerian Airlines will act silly to passengers again

I hope the passengers are properly enlightened on this new rule. The NCAA could put up signs at the airports informing passengers about their rights.

2 Likes

Re: Airlines To Compensate Passengers For Delayed Flights, Others. by israel007: 8:28pm On Jul 05, 2013
Arik let's see how u will keep Acting like a super star now

2 Likes

Re: Airlines To Compensate Passengers For Delayed Flights, Others. by Osyxcel(m): 11:11pm On Jul 05, 2013
Good development. Hope delays caused by natural occurences wud be excused.

1 Like

Re: Airlines To Compensate Passengers For Delayed Flights, Others. by Akpaife(m): 11:10am On Jul 06, 2013
Abeg make una no go kill our piple again
Re: Airlines To Compensate Passengers For Delayed Flights, Others. by Nobody: 11:14am On Jul 06, 2013
Good!
Re: Airlines To Compensate Passengers For Delayed Flights, Others. by donsteady(m): 11:19am On Jul 06, 2013
The regulatory body, however, noted that the new regulations would not apply to passengers traveling free of charge or at reduced fares not available directly or indirectly to the general public.

It said the rule would apply to passengers having tickets issued under a frequent flyer programme or other commercial programmes by an air carrier or tour operator.

not so cool with the above quote, 85% of Nigerian are not subscriber into this so call frequent flyer
Re: Airlines To Compensate Passengers For Delayed Flights, Others. by OkikiOluwa1(m): 11:23am On Jul 06, 2013
Applicable to passengers with rights, & those that knows their rights.
Re: Airlines To Compensate Passengers For Delayed Flights, Others. by Davidoff2000: 11:23am On Jul 06, 2013
easier said than done
Re: Airlines To Compensate Passengers For Delayed Flights, Others. by geeez: 11:24am On Jul 06, 2013
Long overdue. Particularly for domestic airlines as international flights rarely get delayed anyway but what abut delays caused by the government itself. I was held up at Enugu Airport for over 6hrs because GEJ was gonna land
Re: Airlines To Compensate Passengers For Delayed Flights, Others. by ichommy(m): 11:27am On Jul 06, 2013
I pray
Re: Airlines To Compensate Passengers For Delayed Flights, Others. by Nobody: 11:28am On Jul 06, 2013
I think this is really necessary. cool
Re: Airlines To Compensate Passengers For Delayed Flights, Others. by dasparrow: 11:33am On Jul 06, 2013
alutacontinua: I think this is really necessary. cool

Seconded
Re: Airlines To Compensate Passengers For Delayed Flights, Others. by kingarizona(m): 11:34am On Jul 06, 2013
In the implemented passenger bill of right, the NCAA should also add fine that should be paid by passengers that misses their flight!! That's all!!!
Re: Airlines To Compensate Passengers For Delayed Flights, Others. by Nobody: 11:41am On Jul 06, 2013
king arizona: In the implemented passenger bill of right, the NCAA should also add fine that should be paid by passengers that misses their flight!! That's all!!!

How does that make sense to you, as in, you yourself that wrote it down? undecided

3 Likes

Re: Airlines To Compensate Passengers For Delayed Flights, Others. by Nobody: 11:44am On Jul 06, 2013
alutacontinua:

How does that make sense to you, as in, you yourself that wrote it down? undecided
That is eh. . .I wonder if he understands himself
Re: Airlines To Compensate Passengers For Delayed Flights, Others. by Maidoki14(m): 12:02pm On Jul 06, 2013
Honestly arik hv reali grown wings.d painful tin is dat wen u miss ur flight u will pay additional fair for d next flight,bt if dey delayed u nobody is countin dat as an offence.all u get is meatpie wit bottle water.
israel007: Arik let's see how u will keep Acting like a super star now
Re: Airlines To Compensate Passengers For Delayed Flights, Others. by yuzedo: 12:29pm On Jul 06, 2013
israel007: Arik let's see how u will keep Acting like a super star now
Spot on! Arik is the greatest perp amongst Nigerian airline. I avoid them like a plague, but now, I'll start flying them in hopes that they delay my flight and PAY me x2!! grin

Good intentions by NCAA anyways.. Demuren's replacement seems like he's hit the ground running.

1 Like

Re: Airlines To Compensate Passengers For Delayed Flights, Others. by fitzmayowa: 12:33pm On Jul 06, 2013
king arizona: In the implemented passenger bill of right, the NCAA should also add fine that should be paid by passengers that misses their flight!! That's all!!!

Lobatan...I don't know who gave you internet access, its not by force to comment...Mtscheew

1 Like

Re: Airlines To Compensate Passengers For Delayed Flights, Others. by Symphony007: 1:11pm On Jul 06, 2013
I got a voucher,free mean and hotel room for a cancelled flight from berlin to new york but had to pratically fight my way through a long crazy line to get back my money from aero when they cancelled my flight from port harcourt to lagos.
Re: Airlines To Compensate Passengers For Delayed Flights, Others. by donMecuzy: 1:41pm On Jul 06, 2013
Bt Wait oh, who Own Arik air, their plane Don dey. Plenty Pass BRT
Re: Airlines To Compensate Passengers For Delayed Flights, Others. by Raikishi(m): 2:38pm On Jul 06, 2013
Osyxcel: Good development. Hope delays caused by natural occurences wud be excused.

I tire for una o! let them schedule their flights with extra room to spare for such occurences now, abi them need project manager to help them understand say plans can go south.

Our state of mind in nigeria na mediocre is agreeable, look were we dey for this age and where our neighbors dem dey and tell your self every morning nigeria must be great not mediocre.
Re: Airlines To Compensate Passengers For Delayed Flights, Others. by olumidazz: 2:54pm On Jul 06, 2013
Better the delay o instead make plane go hang 4 tree.
Re: Airlines To Compensate Passengers For Delayed Flights, Others. by israel007: 3:37pm On Jul 06, 2013
Maidoki14: Honestly arik hv reali grown wings.d painful tin is dat wen u miss ur flight u will pay additional fair for d next flight,bt if dey delayed u nobody is countin dat as an offence.all u get is meatpie wit bottle water.
yuzedo:
Spot on! Arik is the greatest perp amongst Nigerian airline. I avoid them like a plague, but now, I'll start flying them in hopes that they delay my flight and PAY me x2!! grin

Good intentions by NCAA anyways.. Demuren's replacement seems like he's hit the ground running.

We'll see how they would do now.
Re: Airlines To Compensate Passengers For Delayed Flights, Others. by Osyxcel(m): 4:06pm On Jul 06, 2013
Raikishi:

I tire for una o! let them schedule their flights with extra room to spare for such occurences now, abi them need project manager to help them understand say plans can go south.

Our state of mind in nigeria na mediocre is agreeable, look were we dey for this age and where our neighbors dem dey and tell your self every morning nigeria must be great not mediocre.

Bro, the fact that it's natural means it can occur anytime, though some can be predicted, not entirely all.
Re: Airlines To Compensate Passengers For Delayed Flights, Others. by missy1010(f): 4:22pm On Jul 06, 2013
YES!!!!! God don catch these bastards wey go delay person flight for 10 hours.
Re: Airlines To Compensate Passengers For Delayed Flights, Others. by alstacs(m): 4:53pm On Jul 06, 2013

Na just today? The customers have always been wrong na. Have you ever missed a flight without paying?
Re: Airlines To Compensate Passengers For Delayed Flights, Others. by nwaneri(m): 4:54pm On Jul 06, 2013
this is super stupid. 1. how many local airlines have a frequent flier program. even if they have, they can disable it or make it more difficult. Besides, the new rule did not say there must be a frequent flier program. 2. to solve the aviation problem in Nigeria, we need to give them competition. by competition I mean good road and rail transport. when they know that I can use an over night rail or bus that is just as comfortable, the will sit up.
slowpoke govt we have here.

4 Likes

Re: Airlines To Compensate Passengers For Delayed Flights, Others. by Bleszin(f): 7:56pm On Jul 06, 2013
Y sum pple dey use ANUS tink
Re: Airlines To Compensate Passengers For Delayed Flights, Others. by linearity: 8:28pm On Jul 06, 2013
donsteady: The regulatory body, however, noted that the new regulations would not apply to passengers traveling free of charge or at reduced fares not available directly or indirectly to the general public.

It said the rule would apply to passengers having tickets issued under a frequent flyer programme or other commercial programmes by an air carrier or tour operator.

not so cool with the above quote, 85% of Nigerian are not subscriber into this so call frequent flyer

I think you misunderstood the that statement....It was stated to qualify the prior statement that indicated that the rule will not apply to people traveling for free or reduced fares not available to the general public.

Frequent flyer program is a kind of reduced and special traveling program for frequent flyers, sometimes they can also get free tickets, free upgrades, etc...so the later statement was qualifying them that this rule also apply to them, despite the perks, reductions, etc they already receive....note that it said..."..the rule would apply.." and not that..."the rule will only apply"...

further..."...NCAA had said then that the new set of rights applied to passengers.."

(1) (2) (Reply)

LASG Announces Traffic Diversion On Epe-Ijebu Ode Highway Today / NIS Discovers 144 Illegal Border Entry Points Into Nigeria / Can The Old Nigeria Passport Still Be Used To Enter Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.