Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,694 members, 7,816,835 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:25 PM

Questions For Anony About Souls - Religion (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Questions For Anony About Souls (19565 Views)

Questions For Daddy G. O, Pastor Kumuyi & Pastor Lazarus Muoka / Do Human Clones Have Souls? / What's A Soul? Do Animals Have Souls? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by greatgenius: 8:12pm On Jan 12, 2013
davidylan:

See highlights. You just put up a wonderful response to your questions - just because you dont know does not make the idea of a soul a myth.

Secondly... you dont believe the body contains a soul BUT you believe the soul/aura envelopes the body? Confusion galore.
ok I think you mistaking my for someone else.. I have never said the soul does not exist.. why should I..

You are the one confused not me.. it is not a matter of belief, it is a matter of what is.. And what is is that the Soul is around, in, and through the body.. it is that which contains the body.. your soul is bigger than the body and bigger than you think . the body cannot contain the soul.. unlike the mind the soul is everywhere in , around and throughout the body..
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by wiegraf: 9:56pm On Jan 12, 2013
Logicboy03:

Reetard, how dare you ask for empirical evidence! Do you have empirical evidence for your soul?

Hypocrite

I was 4king nonplussed as well. I mean really, wtf??
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by wiegraf: 10:04pm On Jan 12, 2013
greatgenius: ok I think you mistaking my for someone else.. I have never said the soul does not exist.. why should I..

You are the one confused not me.. it is not a matter of belief, it is a matter of what is.. And what is is that the Soul is around, in, and through the body.. it is that which contains the body.. your soul is bigger than the body and bigger than you think . the body cannot contain the soul.. unlike the mind the soul is everywhere in , around and throughout the body..

And you as well, ffs, this is as simple as it gets. YOU HAVE ZERO EVIDENCE FOR YOUR NONSENSE, LOGICAL OR EMPIRICAL. NON. AT ALL. ZILCH. NADA. BABU. So don't go around stating it as fact. Believe in whatever drivel you want to believe in, cows splitting moons in half even (uncle moh style), but calling it fact is insulting the intelligence of those around you. I applaud the fact that you try to keep your nonsense exclusively in threads that deal with fairy tales though, so I shouldn't be complaining much.
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by DeepSight(m): 10:19pm On Jan 12, 2013
mazaje:

I can show you images of my brain inside my head. . .Can anony show us any evidence to show us any evidence that the soul exist on its own independent of the brain?. . .He says there is a soul that exist independent of the brain, he is the one making the claim, all we need is just a little evidence to back that claim up. . .

Do you realize that your position renders the brain as an independent self conscious creature which is controlling a mass around it called a man?

2 Likes

Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by DeepSight(m): 10:22pm On Jan 12, 2013
And what is the voice in your head? Your thoughts, which u hear in your inner ear and which no one else hears? Is there another ear that the brain has inside itself that it uses to hear your thoughts? To whom does it speak to? To the little brain back to it self? Or to a being?
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by DeepSight(m): 10:24pm On Jan 12, 2013
Indeed the little phrase - "your brain", ends the discussion.

Whose brain? The brain's brain?

3 Likes

Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by Nobody: 10:29pm On Jan 12, 2013
Deep Sight:

And what is the voice in your head? Your thoughts, which u hear in your inner ear and which no one else hears? Is there another ear that the brain has inside itself that it uses to hear your thoughts? To whom does it speak to? To the little brain back to it self? Or to a being?

Yaba left is looking for you if you hear voices from a spiritual entity called the sould.

On a more serious note, the brain is responsible for our thoughts simple and short.
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by mazaje(m): 10:31pm On Jan 12, 2013
Deep Sight:

It speaks to itself. . .The brain is EVERYTHING, without it you can do NOTHING. . . .Show that the soul exist independent of the brain pls. . .Enough of all these baseless and meaningless talk that can not be supported by any evidence. . . . .

Deep Sight:

Do you realize that your position renders the brain as an independent self conscious creature which is controlling a mass around it called a man?

Yes, the brain controls everything. ..It controls your heart beat, growth, kidneys, thoughts, reasoning, EVERYTHING. . .Without it you can not even think or reason. . .What does the elusive soul do on its own?. . .Demonstrate what the elusive soul can do on its own. . .
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by DeepSight(m): 10:32pm On Jan 12, 2013
And again. What is the motivation of this brain, in doing all these things and creating all these thoughts. All the thoughts of our lifetimes - family, love, career, ambition, charity, community, love, hatred, care, compassion, vengeance, acheivement, et al.

What is this little piece of grey matter sitting by itself inside our heads trying to acheive with all these things.

As far as the laws of survival and evolution go, such a little grey creature in your head need hardly be concerned with these things. If it was a matter of survival it would strictly seek to feed itself, like any other animal, period. The excesses are deleterious to its balance and existence.

Why is this little brain a creature by itself, that is independently concerned with all these things and doing and thinking all these things?

Does this make sense to you? Oh sorry, I forgot, there is no you. I should therefore ask if this makes sense to your brain?

3 Likes

Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by Nobody: 10:32pm On Jan 12, 2013
Deep Sight:

Straw man and argumentium ad absurdum

The brain is our organ and so, how the hell can it be an independent self conscious creature. How you reach that ridiculous conclusion is crazy.

Even if you are right, it still doesnt prove the soul. We dont think with our soul. The soul has no function, no space and no use in the body.
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by mazaje(m): 10:34pm On Jan 12, 2013
Deep Sight:
Indeed the little phrase - "your brain", ends the discussion.

Whose brain? The brain's brain?

The little phrase, I love you will all my heart says that love is felt in the heart. . .The brain is EVERYTHING. . .It is the human being. . .
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by Nobody: 10:35pm On Jan 12, 2013
Deep Sight,

Creating strawmen to try to argue that the brain is not responsible for our thoughts and emotion as an organ we have control over most of the time is not going to prove the soul no matter how hard you try. The soul has no control over our emotions, feelings or thoughts. It is of no use to our body and it occupies no space in our body.
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by DeepSight(m): 10:37pm On Jan 12, 2013
mazaje:

The brain is EVERYTHING, without it you can do NOTHING. . . .

The bold word above.

Without it, WHO can do nothing?

Who are you referring to?

Yes, the brain controls everything. ..It controls your heart beat,

The underlined above again.

Whose heart beat?

Does the brain have a heart?

Whose heart beat is it controlling?
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by mazaje(m): 10:44pm On Jan 12, 2013
Deep Sight:

The bold word above.

Without it, WHO can do nothing.

Whoare you referring to?

Your body. . . .

Whose heart beat?

Does the brain have a heart?

Whose heart beat is it controlling?

The body. . The brain controls the body. . .

Tell me one thing the soul control on its own. . .Thoughts, heart beat, muscular contraction, growth hormones. . .Name one thing the soul does. . .
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by DeepSight(m): 10:44pm On Jan 12, 2013
Logicboy03:

The brain is our organ

The bold.

Aha. Whose organ?

Where is that person that owns the organ?

Who is the organ working for?

For once, I implore you, think carefully on this.

1 Like

Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by MrAnony1(m): 10:44pm On Jan 12, 2013
mazaje:

This is false because there is nothing like that that exist in the human body. Where is your evidence for this elusive construct?. . .What does trhe soul do on its own? make you think, reason, control your motor fuctions?. . .The brain does all these things. . .From your definition the soul is nothing. . .If your hypothesis is true the should should have been detected long ago because we have the technology to detect it. . .Your soul hypothesis remains a basless construct. . .
I wonder how long it will take you to understand that it is simply an irrational request to ask for the physical properties of a non-physical entity

So thoughts equates to the soul because thoughts are non physical?. . .
I did not say this. I wonder when you will stop repeating this strawman.

Pls where is your scientific evidence that disputes the fact that thoughts come about as a result of complex chemical reactions in the brain?. . .Scientific fact that disputes this and show that thoughts are as a result of the soul pls. . .
Please where is you scientific evidence that proves that thoughts are caused by chemical these reactions and how exactly did it arrive a non-physical results from physical actions?

Non repeatable?. . .What do you mean by that. . .The human thought process are mostly the same?. . .
Then why is it so hard for you to tell us how to create the thought "mazaje" and have us each recreate it in our homes? Besides I hope you know that by saying this you are saying that humans do not have subjective thought.

You have shown no such thing. . .You have NOT shown that the thought process is not initiated by the brain, you have only said so with out providing any evidence. . .I said the thought process is all initiated and carried out by the brain as such any thing that offsets the balance of the brain affects the way you think. . .I gave you examples of drugs that reduce dopamine transporter sites in the terminal buttons of neurons in the brain alter your thoughts completely when ingested. If there is this outside immaterial and elusive soul, how come material drugs affect it and makes it do things against its wish?. . .
In other words you have no freewill and can't choose what you think. Your brain does the thinking by itself?

The brain is not a tool for thinking because it generates the thoughts. . .So brain injuries affect the immaterial soul and makes the immaterial soul to forget everything or act in a very different way?. . . .I presently have an injury(a cut) in my mouth as a result of a domestic accident but I still talk normally. . .If I have the same cut on the part of my brain that is responsible for thought, I doubt if I will be able to type what amn typing here. . .It is not just brain injuries alone. . .Drugs and other things that affect the brain can make you do only what the drugs want you to do. . .If there is this immaterial soul that initiates thoughts I wonder how material drugs will affect it. . .
Can you control what your brain thinks or is your brain autonomous?

That is because self awareness is a function of the brain. . .Self awareness is the first function of the brain when it comes to consiousness. . .Or is the soul now responsible for self awareness?. . .Can you show how?. . .
Lol, I would only accept that sel-awareness was merely a function of the brain if you could show me a human being alive but with brain damage such that he/she was effectively a robot.

The brain which is pysical creates non physical thoughts. You are talking about something that lacks complete evidence and you want me to accpet just because you keep repeating it?. . .From your own difinition of the soul, it shows that the soul is NOTHING. . .You have defined it as a nothing. . . A non-physical person that operates through a physical body?. . .What is that?. . .You have just described nothing. . .This is just like me saying a non physical bottle that operates inside a bottle. . .Any body that is serious will not even attend to me. . .
In a similar way, telling me that a physical brain creates non-physical thoughts is like telling me that there is non-physical liquid inside a bottle of coke that causes the coke to foam when you shake it.

You cannot hold a naturalist worldview where nothing is non-physical and then deny the existence of a non-physical soul because it can't be explained in physical terms while accepting non-physical thoughts despite the fact that you equally can't physically explain them. You can't eat your cake and have it.
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by MrAnony1(m): 10:45pm On Jan 12, 2013
Deep Sight:

This is exactly what I have been trying to get them to see.
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by DeepSight(m): 10:46pm On Jan 12, 2013
Logicboy03: Deep Sight,

Creating strawmen to try to argue that the brain is not responsible for our thoughts and emotion as an organ we have control over . . .

Look at the bold above, Logicboy.

As an organ that WHO has control over?

What person has control over this organ you call a brain?

Nuff said. You must see the point now. That statement in bold above, if you really can think, says it all.

1 Like

Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by Nobody: 10:50pm On Jan 12, 2013
Deep Sight:

Aha. [b]Whose [/b]organ?

Where is that person that owns the organ?

Who is the organ working for?

For once, I implore you, think carefully on this.

It would be like asking "who is Deepsight's hand working for?"

To write what you have just written, you hve used your brain to form thoughts then coordinate your hands to type your comment.

Please, just give up. You are employing Anonyism- asking endless questions when you have no positive argument fro your stance on souls- no evidence and no positive argument.

Make a positive argument;
- the soul exists because it does/exhibits/can be seen/functions.............

Dont engage in Anonyism and arguments from ignorance;
-the brain can not do this, therefore the soul.........
-we dont known how this works in the mind, therefore the soul.........
-how do we think?
-how do we feel emotions?
-what is our inner voice?
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by DeepSight(m): 10:53pm On Jan 12, 2013
Logicboy03:

It would be like asking "who is Deepsight's hand working for?"

To write what you have just written, you hve used your brain to form thoughts

You are just killing yourself. Look at the bold again. You said that I have USED MY brain to form thoughts.

Case closed.

2 Likes

Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by DeepSight(m): 10:55pm On Jan 12, 2013
mazaje:

Your body. . . .

The body. . The brain controls the body. . .

Tell me one thing the soul control on its own. . .Thoughts, heart beat, muscular contraction, growth hormones. . .Name one thing the soul does. . .

Lol. As though the brain is not also an organ in same body.

Abeg.

1 Like

Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by Nobody: 10:56pm On Jan 12, 2013
Deep Sight:

Look at the bold above, Logicboy.

As an organ that WHO has control over?

What person has control over this organ you call a brain?

Nuff said. You must see the point now. That statement in bold above, if you really can think, says it all.

Mtchew. The whole is more than the summation of parts. You have to understand that the brian is at the centre of our consciousness and our body system but we have blood, valves, nerves and neurons that have to work within and outside of the brain for our brain/consciousness to arise.

The word "mind" explains it, The brain is the organ while the mind is simply the result of brain working with the summation of other parts of the body.

1 Like

Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by Nobody: 10:58pm On Jan 12, 2013
Deep Sight:

You are just killing yourself. Look at the bold again. You said that I have USED MY brain to form thoughts.

Case closed.

We have separate words for consciousness, mind and the brain. Dont we?

Logicboy03:

Mtchew. The whole is more than the summation of parts. You have to understand that the brian is at the centre of our consciousness and our body system but we have blood, valves, nerves and neurons that have to work within and outside of the brain for our brain/consciousness to arise.

The word "mind" explains it, The brain is the organ while the mind is simply the result of brain working with the summation of other parts of the body.

Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by DeepSight(m): 10:59pm On Jan 12, 2013
Logicboy03:
You have to understand that the brian is at the centre of our consciousness

The brain is at the centre of whose consciousness?

And just why is the brain bothered to created a mind? What for?

Finally, at all events you therein admit that the "mind" is a non-physical result of the work of the brain. This means that you are saying that a physical thing, for its own purposes, creates non-physical beings called "minds". Interesting. We can rest on that.

1 Like

Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by DeepSight(m): 11:02pm On Jan 12, 2013
Logicboy03:

We have separate words for consciousness, mind and the brain. Dont we?

Don't run away from your own words. Its simple, come now - when you said that WE use OUR brains to form thoughts, that simply means that WE exist, and we use an ORGAN called a brain to form thoughts, no?

As such, you have already since acceded to our independent existence from our organ - the brain.

An inescapable contradiction son. For once, do live up to your username, Sir R.E.R.

1 Like

Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by MrAnony1(m): 11:03pm On Jan 12, 2013
Deep Sight:

You are just killing yourself. Look at the bold again. You said that I have used MY brain to form thoughts.

Case closed.
Thanks DeepSight. You put it better than I do. I doubt Logicboy will grasp it though and even if he does, he'll just shout "anonyism" (which when translated to english means "arguments logicboy attacks because he doesn't understand/ is unwilling to understand"wink

Next thing you'll hear from now is "debunked" and "epic fail" (english translation - "terms logicboy uses when he tries to shout down an argument he fails to reason against" )
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by Nobody: 11:08pm On Jan 12, 2013
Deep Sight:

The brain is at the centre of whose consciousness?

And just why is the brain bothered to created a mind? What for?

Finally, at all events you therein admit that the "mind" is a non-physical result of the work of the brain. This means that you are saying that a physical thing, for its own purposes, creates non-physical beings called "minds". Interesting. We can rest on that.

You are asking questions that do not help your position. It doesn prove the soul. I have clearly explained it. The mind/consciousness as a function of the brain
and the brain as an organ are separated but connected.

This is why you can reason to bypass your brain. I am colour blind because my eyes and brain can not process red/green properly. I have to use my mind (a function of the brain working with other parts of the body as a conscious whole) to bypass my pattern seeking brain to guess that whenever I see an odd shade of green/brown it is red.
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by mazaje(m): 11:09pm On Jan 12, 2013
Mr_Anony:
I wonder how long it will take you to understand that it is simply an irrational request to ask for the physical properties of a non-physical entity

Only that there is NO non physical entity that is responsible for anything in the human body, your soul theory remains a myth. . .From your defination of the soul you have already defined it as NOTHING. . .Non physical thing that lives in a body?. . .You have just said the soul is nothing. . .

I did not say this. I wonder when you will stop repeating this strawman.

So why are you fixated on it?. . .

Please where is you scientific evidence that proves that thoughts are caused by chemical these reactions and how exactly did it arrive a non-physical results from physical actions?

I gave you and example before. . .When I read the words mazaje, for example, the photons associated with the patterns of the letters hit my retina, and their energy triggers an electrical signal in the light-detecting cells there. That electrical signal propagates like a wave along the long threads called axons that are part of the connections between neurons. When the signal reaches the end of an axon, it causes the release of chemical neurotransmitters into the synapse, a chemical junction between the axon tip and target neurons. A target neuron responds with its own electrical signal, which, in turn, spreads to other neurons. Within a few hundred milliseconds, the signal has spread to billions of neurons in several dozen interconnected areas of my brain and I have perceived the words mazaje. That's a summary of how it functions, but its more complicated than that. The fact that I am then able to convert the perception of these shapes into symbols, language, and meaning is a whole other story and a good indication of the complexity of neuroscience.

Then why is it so hard for you to tell us how to create the thought "mazaje" and have us each recreate it in our homes? Besides I hope you know that by saying this you are saying that humans do not have subjective thought.

Because we can not create brain cells. . .

In other words you have no freewill and can't choose what you think. Your brain does the thinking by itself?

Can you control what your brain thinks or is your brain autonomous?

You can control your thoughts sometimes and you can not be able to control your thoughts sometimes, if you take some drugs you lose your ability to control your thoughts. . .

Lol, I would only accept that sel-awareness was merely a function of the brain if you could show me a human being alive but with brain damage such that he/she was effectively a robot.

Self awareness is a function of the brain because you will not be self aware without a brain or if the part of your brain that is responsible for consciousness is damaged. . .

In a similar way, telling me that a physical brain creates non-physical thoughts is like telling me that there is non-physical liquid inside a bottle of coke that causes the coke to foam when you shake it.

So soul creates non physical thoughts, eh?. . .How does the soul creates thoughts? pls show me how the soul creates thoughts. . .

You cannot hold a naturalist worldview where nothing is non-physical and then deny the existence of a non-physical soul because it can't be explained in physical terms while accepting non-physical thoughts despite the fact that you equally can't physically explain them. You can't eat your cake and have it.

Thoughts are not entirely non physical because you can only think about, events, symbols, images etc. . .You can not think about non physical things. . .So because thoughts are non physical means soul, right?. . .You claim that there is this elusive non physical part of the body that controls the body, this is actually not true because a non physical things can not control physical things. . .When we study the body every thing that controls it is physical. . .The soul has no role and does not exist any where only in arguments but not in reality. . .
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by Nobody: 11:11pm On Jan 12, 2013
Deep Sight

Furthermore, I can see through your Anonyism and Dinesh tactics to put in a straw man and try to phrase the mind as a "being" so that you can slyly insert the soul as being within humans.

The mind is not a being. Stop the lies. It is a function of the brain.
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by MrAnony1(m): 11:13pm On Jan 12, 2013
Logicboy03: Deep Sight

Furthermore, I can see through your Anonyism and Dinesh tactics to put in a straw man and try to phrase the mind as a "being" so that you can slyly insert the soul as being within humans.

Lol, as I said he won't grasp it.
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by DeepSight(m): 11:15pm On Jan 12, 2013
Logicboy03:

You are asking questions that do not help your position. It doesn prove the soul. I have clearly explained it. The mind/consciousness as a function of the brain
and the brain as an organ are separated but connected.

This is why you can reason to bypass your brain. I am colour blind because my eyes and brain can not process red/green properly. I have to use my mind (a function of the brain working with other parts of the body as a conscious whole) to bypass my pattern seeking brain to guess that whenever I see an odd shade of green/brown it is red.

It just gets funnier. You say that I can reason to bypass MY brain.

Shocking you do not see the wholesale concession in this.

Logicboy03: Deep Sight

So why then are you a human being. What is the being in you, if you say the mind is not a being?

Ol boy, I no get your time.
Re: Questions For Anony About Souls by Nobody: 11:15pm On Jan 12, 2013
Deepsight,

All you have done is engage in Anonyism. You are asking questions to try and get the atheists to say "I dont know" after which you will insert a "soul of the gaps"

If the brain can not do this or explain this, therefore the soul. You have tried and failed with feelings and emotions in the brian. You have tried and failed with consciousness and now you are trying to use the the mind to create a a dilemma-
-"how do we think to use the brain when we use the brain to think in the first place?

The answer to the question or non-answer doesnt prove the soul.

mke a positive argument fron the soul, please

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (26) (Reply)

David Oyedepo Celebrates 34th Wedding Anniversary With Wife, Faith / Tb Joshua Banned In Cameroun / Pope Francis Relative Killed In A Car Crash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.