Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,698 members, 7,820,434 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:45 PM

LASTMA Officers Kill Bus Driver In Lagos; Man Beaten To Coma - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / LASTMA Officers Kill Bus Driver In Lagos; Man Beaten To Coma (8249 Views)

LASTMA Officers Arrest Military,NSCDC Officers Driving On BRT Lane In Lagos(pics / 157 LASTMA Officers Sacked Over Misconduct / Okada Riders Beat-up LASTMA Officers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

LASTMA Officers Kill Bus Driver In Lagos; Man Beaten To Coma by Codedrock(m): 6:51am On Dec 25, 2012
Late Popoola, A sympathiser with the deceased wife, Modupe (right)
Dec 25, 2012 – Injustice: LASTMA Officers Killed Bus Driver In Lagos, 2 Officials Beat Man To Death

A commercial bus driver, Isaac Popoola, on Monday died after being allegedly assaulted by two officials of the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority inthe Oshodi area of the state .
The bus conductor, Aremu Salawu, who witnessed the incident, said the LASTMA officials,Adesanya Olatunde and Oludele Ogunrinde, assaulted Popoola at about 6.30am around Brown Bus Stop resulting in his death.
He said the deceased’s bus with number plate, XL166SNK, conveying 17 passengers from Igando/Isheri was approaching Brown Junction when a LASTMA pick-up van crossed the bus.
The leader of the LASTMA officials, according to Salawu, ordered twoof his men to impound the vehicleand take it to the agency’s office.
Salawu, who narrated the incident to one of our correspondents on the premisesof the police Area F Command, alleged that Olatunde hit Salawu’s head against the steering and the door frame of the bus many times before he died.
He said Popoola, 54, was tussling for the steering with the LASTMA official, who resorted to using themetallic head of the seat belt to hit the driver’s head in an attemptto forcibly take over the bus.
Salawu said, “Baba (Popoola) held on to the steering asking what his offence was. But the LASTMA man (Olatunde) said it was his commander that ordered him to seize the bus.
“When Baba refused to leave the steering, the LASTMA man started hitting Popoola’s head against thesteering and the door frame. He did this so many times, until he was unable to talk again.
“I then rushed to Mosafejo Police Station where I made a statement and people who were watching the scenario were able to apprehend one of the LASTMA men (Olatunde). They brought him to the police station before we were transferred to to Area F .
“They did not tell him (driver) what his offence was because no passenger alighted from our bus at a wrong point and he used his seat belt.”
As at 4pm when one of our correspondents left the Area F Command, Salawu’s body was still lying in the bus.
It was observed that there were no bruises on the head of the deceased.
The 50-year-old wife of the deceased, Modupe, and his son, Ibukunoluwa, a graduate of Accounting from the Federal Polytechnic, Offa, Kwara State, along with other sympathisers were also on the premises of the command
Ibukunoluwa, who spoke with one of our correspondents, said he had just graduated and awaiting his call-up for the B Batch of the National Youth Service Corps in February 2013.
He said his father left their house at 16, Ojo Ogundana Crescent, Off Jimoh Akinremi, Jimoh Bus Stop, Akowonjo, early in the morning of Monday.
“I can’t believe I don’t have a father again. My father left home very early this morning, only for us to be informed by his mechanic few hours later that he had died,” Ibukunoluwa said.
The management of LASTMA hashowever dissociated itself from the incident.
A statement signed by the General Manager of the agency, Babatunde Edu, stated the errant officials acted contrary tothe agency’s operational guidelines.
Edu said Olatunde was identified by the agency’s Provost Marshall and handed over to the police while Ogunrinde who was reported to be off duty as at the time of the incident was still at large.
He stated that the officials were inthe area to carry out illegal operation.
“The arrested suspect (Olatunde) has been handed over to Mosafejo Police Station and eventually transferred to Akinpelu Police Station for further investigation; while effort is on to arrest other suspect (Ogunrinde),” Edu said.
[PUNCH]

1 Like

Re: LASTMA Officers Kill Bus Driver In Lagos; Man Beaten To Coma by hrmkz: 8:07am On Dec 25, 2012
If this is true, BRF surely has work to do!
Re: LASTMA Officers Kill Bus Driver In Lagos; Man Beaten To Coma by AbdulAdam56(m): 8:09am On Dec 25, 2012
Is this hw lastma works at lasgidi?Damn is too bad.
Re: LASTMA Officers Kill Bus Driver In Lagos; Man Beaten To Coma by olabukola: 8:15am On Dec 25, 2012
This report is a lie, read this from our american trianers "Eko o ni baje"

https://www.nairaland.com/1139673/lastma-kai-operations-classic-models
Re: LASTMA Officers Kill Bus Driver In Lagos; Man Beaten To Coma by OkikiOluwa1(m): 8:37am On Dec 25, 2012
Too bad. ...'just wasted the man & spoiled this Christmas for his family.
Re: LASTMA Officers Kill Bus Driver In Lagos; Man Beaten To Coma by theripper: 9:12am On Dec 25, 2012
Lastma na good example dem b. Agberos in Uniform.

1 Like

Re: LASTMA Officers Kill Bus Driver In Lagos; Man Beaten To Coma by simdam500(m): 9:54am On Dec 25, 2012
No matter how u take care of animals, dey wont stop bein animals. Mtchew. Merry christmas o *back to wher dem dey fry chicken abeg*
Re: LASTMA Officers Kill Bus Driver In Lagos; Man Beaten To Coma by BlackOyinbo: 9:57am On Dec 25, 2012
Although LASTMA's techniques can simply be described as primitive, the bus driver shouldn't have resisted arrest. Better safe than sorry.
Re: LASTMA Officers Kill Bus Driver In Lagos; Man Beaten To Coma by akunjohn(m): 10:03am On Dec 25, 2012
This is too bad,police should do their work properly o

1 Like

Re: LASTMA Officers Kill Bus Driver In Lagos; Man Beaten To Coma by mrkels(m): 10:13am On Dec 25, 2012
Feb 2013 is batch A snd not B.
Rip to their father.
Re: LASTMA Officers Kill Bus Driver In Lagos; Man Beaten To Coma by Akins02324(m): 10:19am On Dec 25, 2012
olabukola: This report is a lie, read this from our american trianers "Eko o ni baje"

@olabukola,God wil punish u for u to hav come out and debunk dis sad stories.I am closer to the victim and i knw d pains the whole family is passing thru right nw.I think fashola is watching while lagosians are dying like chicken in d hands of lastma.No problem.

3 Likes

Re: LASTMA Officers Kill Bus Driver In Lagos; Man Beaten To Coma by greall1: 10:19am On Dec 25, 2012
%80 of Lasma are illiterate,some of them can"t even write their name,There is no way to cope with the Orientation given to them.
Re: LASTMA Officers Kill Bus Driver In Lagos; Man Beaten To Coma by miteolu(m): 10:24am On Dec 25, 2012
olabukola: This report is a lie, read this from our american trianers "Eko o ni baje"

classic in deed
Re: LASTMA Officers Kill Bus Driver In Lagos; Man Beaten To Coma by 80million1: 10:33am On Dec 25, 2012
*speechless*
Re: LASTMA Officers Kill Bus Driver In Lagos; Man Beaten To Coma by emiye(m): 10:39am On Dec 25, 2012
He said Popoola, 54, was tussling for the steering with the LASTMA official, who resorted to using themetallic head of the seat belt to hit the driver’s head in an attemptto forcibly take over the bus.

it is easy to criticize, May the soul of the driver RIP, but why evade arrest from a law enforcement agency ?, can he do that with a police man ?. Those LASTMA take laws in to their hands most times simply because motorists rarely respects them, i think it is high time they are given guns possibly with rubber bullets.

I don't envy those doing the LASTMA jobs. I am a realist, how do you enforce arrest with a stubborn driver ?, if not with force. I saw an incident last week, where a huge driver fought vigorously with FRSC team in a bid to evade arrest and tried in a road site court.
Re: LASTMA Officers Kill Bus Driver In Lagos; Man Beaten To Coma by kiyosaki1(m): 10:42am On Dec 25, 2012
Why are you misleading members of this forum?

Re: LASTMA Officers Kill Bus Driver In Lagos; Man Beaten To Coma by Welder(m): 11:04am On Dec 25, 2012
@ all, Lastma does not have the right to arrest anyone. Its not in their statute, the most they can do is to impound you, possibly take a picture of the erring driver and get a policeman to institute the arrest.

1 Like

Re: LASTMA Officers Kill Bus Driver In Lagos; Man Beaten To Coma by 5much(m): 11:05am On Dec 25, 2012
overzealous officers at work
Re: LASTMA Officers Kill Bus Driver In Lagos; Man Beaten To Coma by talktimi(m): 11:15am On Dec 25, 2012

American trainers ko puerto rican gangsters ni. What else do you expect from people who were trained by your tyranical boss ? When you see something wrong admit that its wrong you stupid fool I just can't imagine what you would have said if this had happened in a pdp state. Your oga Fashola is a tyranical dictator I'm can't even wonder the relevant cash he's paying you for your stupidity. The great Fela sang something about 'suffering and smiling' now I know what you people are going thru. Don't get me wrong I'm a surulere guy so you can't deceive people by saying I'm not a lagos based individual. Even Timariv in Rivers state hasn't killed anybody till date.

2 Likes

Re: LASTMA Officers Kill Bus Driver In Lagos; Man Beaten To Coma by gbadexy(m): 11:17am On Dec 25, 2012
I noticed that the victim was never taken to the hospital. His body was still at the police station as at evening!
The man may have never died, he could have been in deep coma or unconscious with very weak pulse.
Only God knows the number of people that die as a result of negligence in accident scene.
The truck driver I make use of his truck to convey •̸Ϟ•̸y product had an accident and he said they had already covered him with cloth and pronounced dead but for an observant on looker that lifted the cloth and told them he was still alive!
I wonder why untrained medical person would conclude someone is dead at accident scene.

1 Like

Re: LASTMA Officers Kill Bus Driver In Lagos; Man Beaten To Coma by duality(m): 11:20am On Dec 25, 2012
just hope the police gets to the root of this matter and justice prevail. coz i see no reason the lastma officials shouldn't be roasted on the spot.
Re: LASTMA Officers Kill Bus Driver In Lagos; Man Beaten To Coma by emiye(m): 11:22am On Dec 25, 2012
Welder: @ all, Lastma does not have the right to arrest anyone. Its not in their statute, the most they can do is to impound you, possibly take a picture of the erring driver and get a policeman to institute the arrest.

What is the meaning of "impound you "

It is easier said than done my bro. They wanted to seize his vehicle (Lastma could be right or wrong), but he resisted, it is an unfortunate incident

Lagos is not london, where you take pictures of an offender and fish him/her out at the snap of a finger.

Those Lastma guys need to be armed with a disabling weapon e.g tasers or rubber bullets.

Lastma also need a new re-orientation to treat motorists with greater respect, as respect is reciprocal.
Re: LASTMA Officers Kill Bus Driver In Lagos; Man Beaten To Coma by greall1: 11:35am On Dec 25, 2012
Sir, you are out of point,Are you encouraging what the Last did?

emiye:

What is the meaning of "impound you "

It is easier said than done my bro. They wanted to seize his vehicle (Lastma could be right or wrong), but he resisted, it is an unfortunate incident

Lagos is not london, where you take pictures of an offender and fish him/her out at the snap of a finger.

Those Lastma guys need to be armed with a disabling weapon e.g tasers or rubber bullets.

Lastma also need a new re-orientation to treat motorists with greater respect, as respect is reciprocal.
Re: LASTMA Officers Kill Bus Driver In Lagos; Man Beaten To Coma by BodyKiss(m): 11:38am On Dec 25, 2012
emiye:

it is easy to criticize, May the soul of the driver RIP, but why evade arrest from a law enforcement agency ?, can he do that with a police man ?. Those LASTMA take laws in to their hands most times simply because motorists rarely respects them, i think it is high time they are given guns possibly with rubber bullets.

I don't envy those doing the LASTMA jobs. I am a realist, how do you enforce arrest with a stubborn driver ?, if not with force. I saw an incident last week, where a huge driver fought vigorously with FRSC team in a bid to evade arrest and tried in a road site court.

How about taking down the vehicle number and impound it later? It's really sad how low we value lives in this country.

2 Likes

Re: LASTMA Officers Kill Bus Driver In Lagos; Man Beaten To Coma by asala1: 11:46am On Dec 25, 2012

Are you OK? That's a foolish comment if you don't know. If na you papa dem carry hin head nak for steering, you go fit write this rubbish comment. Ode
Re: LASTMA Officers Kill Bus Driver In Lagos; Man Beaten To Coma by emiye(m): 11:48am On Dec 25, 2012
greall1: Sir, you are out of point,Are you encouraging what the Last did?

I am not in anyway encouraging what happened, those guys must be fished out and prosecuted.

When two adults are involved in a brawl, unfortunate incidents like this can happen.

I have heard cases of two people involved in a fight, a simple push from one to the other,results to a manslaughter.
Re: LASTMA Officers Kill Bus Driver In Lagos; Man Beaten To Coma by talktimi(m): 11:51am On Dec 25, 2012
BodyKiss:

How about taking down the vehicle number and impound it later? It's reality sad how low we value lives in this country.
thank you o jare better person. Fashola's lapdogs on nairaland are always talking about civilized societies as if in those societies an outfit like lastma that is little more than a glorified boys scouts outfit will have the effrontery to arrest anybody. Even the police will get your licence plate number and send your ticket fine to your company or residential address. If una neva trave before just talk so. Fashola just has touts on the streets of lagos and nairaland spouting trash.
Re: LASTMA Officers Kill Bus Driver In Lagos; Man Beaten To Coma by Abali1(m): 11:53am On Dec 25, 2012
emiye:

but why evade arrest from a law enforcement agency ?, can he do that with a police man ?

Even if it were Army, the law enforcement officer should be able to specify the OFFENCE COMMITTED.
It is not everybody who is afraid to ask the question, "WHAT DID I DO?"

Moreover hitting the drivers head on the steering is uncalled for and simply barbaric. BRF should do something about this, because when the hunter becomes the hunted let no one cry foul.
Re: LASTMA Officers Kill Bus Driver In Lagos; Man Beaten To Coma by emiye(m): 11:54am On Dec 25, 2012
BodyKiss:

How about taking down the vehicle number and impound it later? It's reality sad how low we value lives in this country.

You are not far from the truth !, but our records system in the country is wacked, maybe with the new plate number system, such step can be more efficient and effective.
Re: LASTMA Officers Kill Bus Driver In Lagos; Man Beaten To Coma by Abali1(m): 11:57am On Dec 25, 2012
emiye:

I am not in anyway encouraging what happened, those guys must be fished out and prosecuted.

When two adults are involved in a brawl, unfortunate incidents like this can happen.

I have heard cases of two people involved in a fight, a simple push from one to the other,results to a manslaughter.

They were not involved in a fight. The driver held on to his steering, the story did not say that he fought back.
Stop supporting evil, if it were your family member will you also be standing by this callousness.
INJUSTICE TO ONE IS INJUSTICE TO ALL

2 Likes

Re: LASTMA Officers Kill Bus Driver In Lagos; Man Beaten To Coma by Dranatomy: 11:59am On Dec 25, 2012
LASTMA Is simply revenging death of her members so far...Use ur brain always
Re: LASTMA Officers Kill Bus Driver In Lagos; Man Beaten To Coma by Nobody: 12:16pm On Dec 25, 2012
which can't kill?
[quote author=emiye]

(1) (2) (Reply)

Police Arrest Invading Herdsmen In Benue / Senate Gives IGP 14 Days To Arrest Benue Killers / We Are Not Aware Of Plans To Suspend Ambode From Party- APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.