Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,497 members, 7,770,245 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 08:03 AM

Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! (8974 Views)

5 Reasons Why Christians Dont Receive Answers To Their Prayers / Rev. Omolade's Response To Okotie's Catholic Statement / How Your Temperament Can Influence Your Response To God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by Nobody: 5:15am On Dec 27, 2012
Any where I go I see Nigerian potray themselves as religious and to be prayer warriors. If prayers do work, how come we have so many problems in Nigeria and the problems still persist? Even Nigerian President always advice people to pray to solve their problems.

Can someone tell me instances where prayers solved any of our problems?
Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by k2039: 5:32am On Dec 27, 2012
[color=soyouquotedme][b]It's complicated.

Prayer works and prayer also does not work.

If I have to pray for success, I must be certain to work towards the attainment of that success or else fail by default no matter the prayer.

Some prayers are stupi.d and pointless. Example if I pray for God to give me 40million by the end of the year(except I kidnap Finance ministers mother gringringringrin)

The bible talks about praying according to God's will, I will add you must also be willing to work in the will and channel your effort to the attainment of the will or the prayer is just pointless.

Only in rare cases does prayer work without effort from the praying indivdual, Divine Intervention.

For the president, he just being plain silly, he doesn't want to take full responsibility for his actions hence his boycourt is prayer.
The earlier he understand his effort towards making Nigeria better is all that matters, not necessarily prayer, he needs to start using his brain and stop expecting God to come down from heaven to help because it won't happen.

This is more reason I love athiest although I know they are on the wrong path and non of them should quote me. An athiest takes full responsible for his life, actions and decisions, he believes if you have to get something, work towards it but in religion we have decided to put everything on God and devil[/b] [/color]

17 Likes

Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by F00028: 5:34am On Dec 27, 2012
God listens to all prayers but sometimes the answer is, 'no'.

7 Likes

Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by ifeegee(f): 6:06am On Dec 27, 2012
Prayer,is not some magic wand that could be waved & all problems will disappear.Prayer is an act of worship, our means of communictn,tru which we draw succor,we remind GOD of HIS promises towards us,we lay it bare,exchange weakness for strenght etc....... Nig is still a nation 2day is the Shear mystry of answered prayers......Culled from a christian point of view.

4 Likes

Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by UjSizzle(f): 6:19am On Dec 27, 2012
Prayers alone while neglecting duty isn't going to work. Even the bible says faith without works is meaningless, and you are expected to work out your salvation.

You plant the seed, water it continually, and then pray for God to help it grow.

Now to your question, there are a zillion times I've prayed for something to get done, but like I've said before, you need to work towards it. In other instances, i was torn between two decisions and wasn't entirely sure which would be beneficial to me. I spent a week fasting and praying and askin God to show me which way to go. I also asked for a sign. Two weeks after, i got it. That's an answered prayer imo.

Sometimes, we pray and expect answers immediately. But even the bible says that when the time is right, we will get an answer.
So while praying(in accordance to his Will) also ask for patience to wait on God, and that ur eyes be open so u recognise the 'answer' when it finally comes.

5 Likes

Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by Princess1982(f): 6:24am On Dec 27, 2012
I think all prayers are heard and most of them are answered. They may not be answered when we ask or even in the order we ask for them. For example when I was younger looking for work I applied at a job that would require me to do hard labor I remember praying to God that I got this job because, I was tired of my parents taking care of me. So I interviewed and I didn't get the job I remembered asking God why? and not understanding it was clear I needed the job. Then in a weeks time that same job called me offering a nice office position 65k a year I hadn't even completed my degree yet so now I see why I didn't get the factory job God was keeping my arms open for something better. Then as far as the troubles of the world go we never know what God is preparing us for.
Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by Nobody: 6:52am On Dec 27, 2012
k2039: [b]It's complicated.

Prayer works and prayer also does not work.

If I have to pray for success, I must be certain to work towards the attainment of that success or else fail by default no matter the prayer.

Some prayers are stupi.d and pointless. Example if I pray for God to give me 40million by the end of the year(except I kidnap Finance ministers mother gringringringrin)

The bible talks about praying according to God's will, I will add you must also be willing to work in the will and channel your effort to the attainment of the will or the prayer is just pointless.

Only in rare cases does prayer work without effort from the praying indivdual, Divine Intervention.

For the president, he just being plain silly, he doesn't want to take full responsibility for his actions hence his boycourt is prayer.
The earlier he understand his effort towards making Nigeria better is all that matters, not necessarily prayer, he needs to start using his brain and stop expecting God to come down from heaven to help because it won't happen.

This is more reason I love athiest although I know they are on the wrong part and non of them should quote me. An athiest takes full responsible for his life, actions and decisions, he believes if you have to get something, work towards it but in religion we have decided to put everything on God and devil[/b]

Well said bro!

LMAO@ the one in red grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by k2039: 6:56am On Dec 27, 2012
seriallink:

Well said bro!

LMAO@ the one in red grin grin grin

gringringringringringrin
Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by Nobody: 7:15am On Dec 27, 2012
Prayers are a waste of time in my opinion.
If you believe in a God, he gave you a brain to use not to wait for miracles.

Given seeds and a fertile ground, your prayers/ religious leanings won't determine if the seed will grow or not.

The sooner Nigerians realise that 2 working hands are better than a million hands clasped in prayer, the better for us and posterity.

You want Nigeria to be developed, we need to start focusing on education not prayers. Our universities these days are littered with all manner of fellowships.

Let's keep praying, building mosques and churches. Our children will be very glad that we've taught them the way to heaven.

11 Likes

Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by AtheistD(m): 7:32am On Dec 27, 2012
In my opinion prayers work. It is always good to pray. Let us put down our tools, forget hardwork, planning and just pray alone. I am sure all our problems will be solved undecided.

@ujsizzle and princess1982

How do you know it was God or even prayer? There was already a possibility of something. In ujus case it was maybe 50/50 (good odds in my opinion). Princess's situation looks good at first but did you not also apply for the 65k job? No miracles there but delivery on odds.
Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by Adufaye(m): 7:40am On Dec 27, 2012
prayer's do work,even job in d bible went tru hard times,e stil continue 2 pray,thou he lost his family n frnds....prayer n faith moves heaven,bt money moves earth...many r calld few wer chosen....dats it

1 Like

Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by wiegraf: 7:40am On Dec 27, 2012
They work as placebos for some. And not just for medicine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efficacy_of_prayer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo

Placebos are NOT real cures. And most certainly don't do anything to solve the actual problem (physically, at least).

What it highlights though is the power of perception to some, they're a completely subjective affair. It leads some to believe the situation is better than what it actually is, while for others, no. And for those who gain this sort of positive outlook, it is useful to them only in certain situations while harmful in others. For instance, it may give them hope and the will to persevere, but in situations like 9ja where the system is markedly broken, placebos are insidious. When used foo.lishly it aids things like 'suffering and smiling', lazyness, inane decision making, etc.

I suppose you could say it helps some see the glass as half full, not half empty. However, if success depended on that glass of water and it's empty, yet you still insisted on the glass being half full, then you're clearly deluded and bound to fail. You should be planning accordingly and looking for water in those cases.

So note, quite a few people most certainly do not need placebos to function (frankly, I'd consider suing a doctor that gives me one if I could), and it's basically lying, even if at times it is for an ostensibly good cause. Also, on their own, if the problem is severe, then they can't do anything for anyone. Their insidious nature fully rears its ugly head in these situations.

You're welcome to believe in whatever rocks your boat though, of course.

1 Like

Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by AtheistD(m): 8:01am On Dec 27, 2012
wiegraf: They work as placebos for some. And not just for medicine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efficacy_of_prayer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo

Placebos are NOT real cures. And most certainly don't do anything to solve the actual problem (physically, at least).

What it highlights though is the power of perception to some, they're a completely subjective affair. It leads some to believe the situation is better than what it actually is, while for others, no. And for those who gain this sort of positive outlook, it is useful to them only in certain situations while harmful in others. For instance, it may give them hope and the will to persevere, but in situations like 9ja where the system is markedly broken, placebos are insidious. When used foo.lishly it aids things like 'suffering and smiling', lazyness, inane decision making, etc.

I suppose you could say it helps some see the glass as half full, not half empty. However, if success depended on that glass of water and it's empty, yet you still insisted on the glass being half full, then you're clearly deluded and bound to fail. You should be planning accordingly and looking for water in those cases.

So note, quite a few people most certainly do not need placebos to function (frankly, I'd consider suing a doctor that gives me one if I could), and it's basically lying, even if at times it is for an ostensibly good cause. Also, on their own, if the problem is severe, then they can't do anything for anyone. Their insidious nature fully rears its ugly head in these situations.

You're welcome to believe in whatever rocks your boat though, of course.

I totally agree. There has been some solid research into placebos and they work.

The problem with placebos is as you stated. It is all in the mind. Sometimes that extra willpower and belief can push you to an objective. Sometimes it can delude you to focusing on the mundane and pointless.
Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by Nobody: 8:07am On Dec 27, 2012
Let me give you a good testimony of how prayers work.
My maternal extended family is really large, my grandmum had lots of children.
In all these years they had never ever come together for to pray for days.
The year they did, infact I think it was the month itself, the youngest of them died.
To add to the miracle, he died in a motor accident while returning from a prayer convention.

Can somebody shout hallelujah!
Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by AtheistD(m): 8:20am On Dec 27, 2012
inurmind: Let me give you a good testimony of how prayers work.
My maternal extended family is really large, my grandmum had lots of children.
In all these years they had never ever come together for days to pray.
The year they did, infact I think it was the month itself, the youngest of them died.
To add to the miracle, he died in a motor accident while returning from a prayer convention.

Can somebody shout hallelujah!

Let me tell you how prayers work:

My uncle had a terminal illness. He spent his last days refusing medical treatment in the UK but was going to every church and mountain for healing... tb joshua etc. They all milked his hard lifes savings and he still died regardless, even quicker than predicted because of no medication. What he would have left to my cousins as an inheritance was squandered looking for a miracle prayer cure.
Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by Nobody: 8:25am On Dec 27, 2012
My friend's mom had an attack and was rushed to Salvation Ministries in Phc. Let's just say the Lord received her Spirit.
Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by Caseless: 8:30am On Dec 27, 2012
payless: Any where I go I see Nigerian potray themselves as religious and to be prayer warriors. If prayers do work, how come we have so many problems in Nigeria and the problems still persist? Even Nigerian President always advice people to pray to solve their problems.

Can someone tell me instances where prayers solved any of our problems?
prayers does work perfectly well.

If u think nigerians are prayerful, still we are without problems, u dont use that to judge the potency of prayers.

What is ur relationship with God before asking him for something through prayers?

U expect nigeria's problems to be solved with prayers; when we have leaders who are looting but not leading?

When people kill in the name of religion(e.g boko haram, religious crisis)?

When we do jungle-justice( e.g, aalu 4) ?

When we commit adultery/furnication?

When we steal from our brothers/neighbours?

When we associate something with God?

When we don't believe 100% that he can hear our prayers?

And u expect GOD to answer our prayers when men feeds on fellow men and also when ritualists rules?

If we do all these, and the op still expect nigeria to be the most favoured by GOD in terms of prayer answering, then something is diping or tilted somewhere....

K2039, nice one.

4 Likes

Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by AtheistD(m): 8:30am On Dec 27, 2012
musKeeto: My friend's mom had an attack and was rushed to Salvation Ministries in Phc. Let's just say the Lord received her Spirit.

Smh sad
Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by wiegraf: 8:33am On Dec 27, 2012
I can't forget the case of a friends father who prayed the hiv away. They even had parties, testimonies, etc. He died shortly after, leaving them in penury as well. It didn't make them less religious of course. This particular scenario is obviously rather common, compared to y'alls ie
Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by Caseless: 8:34am On Dec 27, 2012
Atheist:-D:

Smh sad
sms...
Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by Nobody: 8:38am On Dec 27, 2012
if it's God's will, why pray?
It'll still happen any way.

Push God to one side, Nigerians. No prayer has ever built a flyover. Miracles can be quite selective, unlike medicine. Breakthroughs are mere lotteries.

This country can be much better. Maybe prayers do work. Maybe we're just praying to the wrong God.

5 Likes

Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by AtheistD(m): 8:39am On Dec 27, 2012
caseless: prayers does work perfectly well.

If u think nigerians are prayerful, still we are without problems, u dont use that to judge the potency of prayers.

What is ur relationship with God before asking him for something through prayers?

U expect nigeria's problems to be solved with prayers; when we have leaders who are looting but not leading?

When people kill in the name of religion(e.g boko haram, religious crisis)?

When we do jungle-justice( e.g, aalu 4) ?

When we commit adultery/furnication?

When we steal from our brothers/neighbours?

When we associate something with God?

When we don't believe 100% that he can hear our prayers?

And u expect GOD to answer our prayers when men feeds on fellow men and also when ritualists rules?

If we do all these, and the op still expect nigeria to be the most favoured by GOD in terms of prayer answering, then something is diping or tilted somewhere....

K2039, nice one.

Maybe the prayers are the problem. If we werent praying and waiting for God to solve all our problems in the country we would have been forced to take action.

Maybe things wouldnt have gotten so bad. It easy to endure hardship when we believe God will solve all our problems. Just go to church more to allow Gods miracle to work in our lives.

1 Like

Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by illuminutty: 9:30am On Dec 27, 2012
yes more than GEJ
Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by Nobody: 9:34am On Dec 27, 2012
As a Muslim, I must believe it does, because it's in the Qur'an which is central to my belief in the first place. Beyond that, I believe it does.
Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by Nobody: 9:37am On Dec 27, 2012
Prayers work...especially for radical christians who can violently

rekkekekekekeke simmaariayaroko rekeke shindababa lipsrsealed
Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by Iaz93: 9:39am On Dec 27, 2012
musKeeto: if it's God's will, why pray?
It'll still happen any way.

Push God to one side, Nigerians. No prayer has ever built a flyover. Miracles can be quite selective, unlike medicine. Breakthroughs are mere lotteries.

This country can be much better. Maybe prayers do work. Maybe we're just praying to the wrong God.
Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by Nobody: 9:39am On Dec 27, 2012
F00028: God listens to all prayers but sometimes the answer is, 'no'.
and you are His PA?

3 Likes

Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by Iaz93: 9:42am On Dec 27, 2012
Not all prayers work. There are different types of prayer. Faith is the main thing!
Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by AtheistD(m): 9:42am On Dec 27, 2012
[quote author=Iaz93][/quote]

In my opinion no god stands up to scrutiny. None have a good track record with prayer or miracles.
Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by slimming: 9:43am On Dec 27, 2012
The ? is = to asking that does sleeping really necessary?
Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by AkinDavid2: 9:51am On Dec 27, 2012
@OP, that we are still existing as a Nation is a fundamental evidence that prayer really work. Most of the National problem are man made and political. Our diversity as a nation make some things so complex that the only thing you can ever wish is divine intervention. The rich wants to get richer and the poor wants judgement against the rich, don't forget that God is also a merciful God.

1 Like

Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by Nobody: 9:56am On Dec 27, 2012
Yes it does only if u absolutely believe witout any doubt.which is not always the case

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Does God Exist? [let's Switch Sides] / Is Donald Trump Like Cyrus From The Bible? / What Is The Difference Between Trial And Temptation

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.