Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,471 members, 7,770,158 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 06:11 AM

Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! (8972 Views)

5 Reasons Why Christians Dont Receive Answers To Their Prayers / Rev. Omolade's Response To Okotie's Catholic Statement / How Your Temperament Can Influence Your Response To God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by claremont(m): 1:12pm On Dec 27, 2012
There is a proven correlation between prayers and lack of development in a country. Countries that pray more have been proven to show a lack of development as compared to countries that do not pray.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by ignis: 1:38pm On Dec 27, 2012
Prayer works but it depends on who one is praying to, what one is praying for and one's level of faith.
Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by neversaynever(m): 1:54pm On Dec 27, 2012
Are you for real? What a question! It sure does, it simply depends on who you are, who you're praying to and your ability to face reality. I believe God's a realist...i mean you have to read your books to be successful in your exams as a student, no matter how hard you pray. You don't get results from God so many at times because you don't need what you're praying for (in HIS opinion), it's HIS will, or you don't deserve it. You get what you didn't pray for at times because you deserve it, or you've paid your dues. So many things you can't explain...The ways of the Lord is different from the ways of man.
@ atheists, i can assume your obsessions are with the christian God. Isn't it supposed to be with religion as a whole. For every negative story you hear, there are five positives, i can assure you. Science still has no answers to some mysteries. It's all a matter of choice though, you don't necessarily have to believe.
Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by salt1: 1:59pm On Dec 27, 2012
I don't even like the caption. Prayer as written here is compared with a magical, do-all tablet which once you take it, solves all your problems.
I pray. and I will keep praying. Prayer isn't just approaching God with a long wish list. It is
1. Offering worship for Who He is
2. Thanksgiving ( an attitude of gratitude even helps you let go of grudges)
3. Forgiveness and restitution (where you feel at peace with God and man)
4. Supplication (where you place all requests, plans and opinions and ask Him for wisdom to handle the challenges)

Muskeeto and co who feel that prayer is Nigeria's problem, I beg to disagree. We are not even praying enough or maybe we are asking for the wrong things. Many of the true scientists and leaders were also very prayerful. Abe Lincoln said when I don't know where else to go, I fall on my knees. Ben Carson, the talented neuro-surgeon, was headed in the wrong direction and would have died in street fights but prayer changed the direction of his life. Read his autobiography, Gifted Hands.
I have seen wonderful conversions in my family where a chronic smoker, womanizer and irresponsible young man has been converted to a responsible caring father because he prayed for forgiveness asking God to change his life. And the change remained. More than any new year resolution or any parents' discipline
Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by steviano(m): 2:11pm On Dec 27, 2012
yes prayer do work! prayer is not a magic but a miracle
Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by AtheistD(m): 2:26pm On Dec 27, 2012
steviano: yes prayer do work! prayer is not a magic but a miracle

It is neither magic nor miracle..... it is a delusion wink
Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by AtheistD(m): 2:28pm On Dec 27, 2012
salt 1: I don't even like the caption. Prayer as written here is compared with a magical, do-all tablet which once you take it, solves all your problems.
I pray. and I will keep praying. Prayer isn't just approaching God with a long wish list. It is
1. Offering worship for Who He is
2. Thanksgiving ( an attitude of gratitude even helps you let go of grudges)
3. Forgiveness and restitution (where you feel at peace with God and man)
4. Supplication (where you place all requests, plans and opinions and ask Him for wisdom to handle the challenges)

Muskeeto and co who feel that prayer is Nigeria's problem, I beg to disagree. We are not even praying enough or maybe we are asking for the wrong things. Many of the true scientists and leaders were also very prayerful. Abe Lincoln said when I don't know where else to go, I fall on my knees. Ben Carson, the talented neuro-surgeon, was headed in the wrong direction and would have died in street fights but prayer changed the direction of his life. Read his autobiography, Gifted Hands.
I have seen wonderful conversions in my family where a chronic smoker, womanizer and irresponsible young man has been converted to a responsible caring father because he prayed for forgiveness asking God to change his life. And the change remained. More than any new year resolution or any parents' discipline

For Nigerians before even making any attempt at anything we start with prayer.... and then get excited and distracted and then forget what we were meant to do in the first place.
Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by manmustwac(m): 2:32pm On Dec 27, 2012
claremont: There is a proven correlation between prayers and lack of development in a country. Countries that pray more have been proven to show a lack of development as compared to countries that do not pray.
Good point! Why are our leaders (like Goodluck Johnathon) going to meet Pastors like adebayo & Pastor Chris? Do they need them to pray for them on how to run the country which is what they were elected to do?
Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by Gloriagee(f): 2:37pm On Dec 27, 2012
Yep, Prayers work!!! I'm a Living testimony to that effect. Not all my prayers have been answered n sometimes I wonder what criteria God uses to choose the prayers to answer. Guess, that's Y He's sovereign.

Now for prayers to be answered, they have to be in accordance with God's will. N that's Y sometimes it appears that prayers don't work. Another reason Y prayers may not work is that God has principles which He can't break just because of U. Say for instance u violate his principles, no matter how much he luvs u - u got to reap the consequences of the actions, unless u confess and forsake the sin.

Often too, pple make noise n think they r praying - any prayer that is full of u singing ur praises is just going to bounce back and the prayer of a sinner is recorded in the Bible as an abomination.
Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by ojophilip11: 3:07pm On Dec 27, 2012
Prayers do work, if U̶̲̥̅̊ pray with faith surely you'll receive what you prayed for.
Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by cold(m): 4:00pm On Dec 27, 2012
I prayed fervently,vociferously and ferociously for years.Until it hit me,i've been talking to myself.Prayers are a colossal waste of time.And this much I have confirmed all these years i dropped the cloak of religion and always trying to seek guidance from a supreme being.I took full control of my actions and decisions,and the results have been overwhelmingly staggering!

1 Like

Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by dnawah(m): 5:55pm On Dec 27, 2012
I prayed to God to keep me alive,am still living.:-D
Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by neversaynever(m): 5:59pm On Dec 27, 2012
cold: I prayed fervently,vociferously and ferociously for years.Until it hit me,i've been talking to myself.Prayers are a colossal waste of time.And this much I have confirmed all these years i dropped the cloak of religion and always trying to seek guidance from a supreme being.I took full control of my actions and decisions,and the results have been overwhelmingly staggering!

Don't worry. Change is the only permanent thing in life.
Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by neversaynever(m): 6:09pm On Dec 27, 2012
manmustwac: Good point! Why are our leaders (like Goodluck Johnathon) going to meet Pastors like adebayo & Pastor Chris? Do they need them to pray for them on how to run the country which is what they were elected to do?

The fact that GEJ knelt down at Pastor Adeboye's feet doesn't mean he doesn't do his job. Don't use Pastor Adeboye as an excuse if GEJ fails. Nigeria's a religious state, isn't it obvious? We all believe in something. You can't be from this part of the world if you believe in just science.
Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by 2good(m): 6:41pm On Dec 27, 2012
never_say_never:

The fact that GEJ knelt down at Pastor Adeboye's feet doesn't mean he doesn't do his job. Don't use Pastor Adeboye as an excuse if GEJ fails. Nigeria's a religious state, isn't it obvious? We all believe in something. You can't be from this part of the world if you believe in just science.

Very wrong bro. I only believe when I see. I have no single belief in the supernatural
Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by Mavrick2012: 7:27pm On Dec 27, 2012
One tin i dnt undastand is:y is it dat most developd natns are nt religious/prayerful,while most religious/prayerful contris are poor/underdevelopd.some ppl talk abt the fore fathers of usa as bein religious/prayerful,how abt japan,china,malasia,hong kong,russia etc?
Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by Femmymata2(m): 8:10pm On Dec 27, 2012
If prayers work, boko haram won't succeed in their various attacks against christians praying in the church,killing pastors e.t.c. But i was told God has a reason for allowing it, very pathetic!!
Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by Princess1982(f): 9:42pm On Dec 27, 2012
Femmymata2: If prayers work, boko haram won't succeed in their various attacks against christians praying in the church,killing pastors e.t.c. But i was told God has a reason for allowing it, very pathetic!!
Lean not into your own understanding of things. Maybe God is trying to show Christians that the devil is alive and that his days are numbered. Maybe thats why all these bad things are happening. You have to first remember that the devil was cast down to earth and his days were numbered. So whats the first thing people do when bad things happen? Well they usually ask why did God let this happen or they lose their faith in him all together which I think is all part of the devils plan.
Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by Princess1982(f): 9:49pm On Dec 27, 2012
Besides I am willing to take my chances with a pascal wager. If I believe in God and it turns out he don't exist oh well what did I lose? Nothing if anything I probably gained from it, it probably would over all make me a better person to try and live a Christian life. Lets say I don't believe in God and it turns out he does exist, then I lose everything. So I will take my chances by believing.
Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by neversaynever(m): 10:02pm On Dec 27, 2012
2good:

Very wrong bro. I only believe when I see. I have no single belief in the supernatural

So strange then. You must be from another part of the world. Its no force though, but as Africans, its either one of many (Christianity, Islam & Paganism are only a few).
So you live each day like every other day, nothing out of the ordinary catches/attracts your fancy?
Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by Femmymata2(m): 10:03pm On Dec 27, 2012
Satan and his demon where cast to earth after their rebellion in heaven. An omniscience God wouldn't do that...
Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by cold(m): 10:08pm On Dec 27, 2012
Princess1982: Lean not into your own understanding of things. Maybe God is trying to show Christians that the devil is alive and that his days are numbered. Maybe thats why all these bad things are happening. You have to first remember that the devil was cast down to earth and his days were numbered. So whats the first thing people do when bad things happen? Well they usually ask why did God let this happen or they lose their faith in him all together which I think is all part of the devils plan.

Whaat! You mean God allows satan to kill his loved ones in such a savage manner just to prove to that satan's days are numbered? Wow! Some logic
Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by Femmymata2(m): 10:15pm On Dec 27, 2012
Princess1982: Besides I am willing to take my chances with a pascal wager. If I believe in God and it turns out he don't exist oh well what did I lose? Nothing if anything I probably gained from it, it probably would over all make me a better person to try and live a Christian life. Lets say I don't believe in God and it turns out he does exist, then I lose everything. So I will take my chances by believing.
Athiest can't just pretend(rmber u can't mock an omniscient God).
Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by Princess1982(f): 10:17pm On Dec 27, 2012
Femmymata2: Satan and his demon where cast to earth after their rebellion in heaven. An omniscience God wouldn't do that...
Omniscience is appropriate God does know everything but when somebody makes you out to be a liar do you not try to prove you are being truthful? If you have ever read the bible you will read that in the beginning the devil told Eve that she wouldn't die if she ate the forbidden fruit but God had already warned her she would surely die. So the devil convinced Eve that God was the liar. Now true God could of just done away with Adam and Eve and created 2 new beings but what would that prove? God don't want us to fear him just because, he is all powerful and can do away with us. He wants us to be God fearing out of love and respect.
Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by Princess1982(f): 10:23pm On Dec 27, 2012
cold:

Whaat! You mean God allows satan to kill his loved ones in such a savage manner just to prove to that satan's days are numbered? Wow! Some logic
Im not claiming I know why God allows bad things to happen I am just saying we don't know Gods plan. And who's to say everybody that says they are Christian are good?
Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by cold(m): 10:37pm On Dec 27, 2012
Princess1982: Im not claiming I know why God allows bad things to happen I am just saying we don't know Gods plan. And who's to say everybody that says they are Christian are good?
I think I agree with you,they're not real Christians.They deserve to die
Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by 2good(m): 10:42pm On Dec 27, 2012
never_say_never:

So strange then. You must be from another part of the world. Its no force though, but as Africans, its either one of many (Christianity, Islam & Paganism are only a few).
So you live each day like every other day, nothing out of the ordinary catches/attracts your fancy?

I was indoctrinated with christian values as a child like every other Nigerian child. I used to be deeply involved in religious activities and even preaching in the public as a child because I was taught it is the right thing to do in order to avoid going to hell that was created by a supposedly loving God which is an irony to me. When I become an adolescent like 16 years ago, I discovered that people have been doing reasoning for me. With further probing of the entire system around me, I noticed that culture and belief system is a brainwashing process where people are instilled with values that are accepted as normal in their immediate environment while other foreign values are treated with contempt. That is why you will always see a correlation between religious beliefs and region of birth and upbringing. You will most likely be a Muslim if you were born in the middle east or Muslim family in Northern Nigeria. You will also almost certainly be a christian if you were born in Eastern Nigeria or America. You will also most likely be a Hindu if born in India just as you will most likely practice Judaism if born in Israel.
Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by Princess1982(f): 10:48pm On Dec 27, 2012
So 2good what your saying is that it is ok for bad to go unpunished. When you were a child and did wrong did your parents not punish you? even when we do wrong as adults if we get caught do we not receive some form of punishment? So whats the difference with a loving God creating a place of punishment for the wicked?
Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by Nobody: 10:53pm On Dec 27, 2012
This is what I've noticed as a Christian: too many people don't read their Bibles.

If you actually take the time to study your Bible, you'd be surprised at the amount of wrong teaching that goes around today about prayers. A lot of things that people think is prayer IS NOT actually prayer. A lot of us just do what we THINK is right, instead of going to the Bible, and seeing what the Bible says about that situation.

I notice that quite a lot of talk is going on here about Boko Haram. I put it to you all, here and now, that most Christians DO NOT know what the Bible says about a situation like this; a situation where your country is being threatened. All we know is to tell (or beg) God to do this and do that; all prayer does not work like that.

I've been in sticky situations in my life, and they've been solved by prayer. I've experienced very strong divine direction in periods of prayer and fasting, too often to be coincidental.

But I also know what the Bible says about prayer, and fasting. I don't claim to be a know-it-all; I acknowledge I still have a lot of things to learn. But when I fast, I don't just stay away from food, go on my knees and pray my voice hoarse, because that's what most people agree prayer and fasting is. No. I go to the Bible myself, and see what it says about prayer, and fasting.

See, for a lot of people, kneeling, and clasping your hands, and raising your voice, and sweating a lot, and maybe rolling on the floor. Or lighting candles, and going to the edge of a river, or sleeping in church. All these things impress men, and make us think that the person in question is actually praying. But then things don't go the way they want, and they make God the bad guy. But God isn't necessarily pleased or impressed by the things that impress men. All He knows is that you're either aligning with Biblical prayer principles, or you're not.

So people, read your Bibles. Even if your Pastor says something, confirm it first in your Bibles. Then you can go and pray.
Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by Princess1982(f): 11:04pm On Dec 27, 2012
@Mactao thank you! I agree with every word.
Re: Do Prayers Actually Work? Be Realistic With Your Response And No Insult, Please! by cold(m): 11:22pm On Dec 27, 2012
@mactao,you just blabbed and blabbed.In the end you said nothing.You claim most people who lay claim to praying are NOT actually praying.And you went on to say something like this;
mactao:
I notice that quite a lot of talk is going on here about Boko Haram. I put it to you all, here and now, that most Christians DO NOT know what the Bible says about a situation like this; a situation where your country is being threatened. All we know is to tell (or beg) God to do this and do that; all prayer does not work like that.
After all your rant,you still failed to tell us what the Bible says about prayer and how it should work.Since apparently,you read the Bible a lot

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What does the Bible says about Christian suffering, should a Christian suffer??? / The Story Of Joseph And His Coat Of Many Colors / What Happens When You Keep Sinning And Never Want To Stop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.