Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,234 members, 7,957,549 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 02:27 PM

Lagos Buys 30 New Buses For Intra-City Transportation - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Buys 30 New Buses For Intra-City Transportation (14257 Views)

Pictures Of The New Kaduna Intra-city Air Conditioned High Speed Trains / Akpabio To Commission 30 New Projects, Flag Off Others / FG To Buy 30 New Aircrafts For Aviation Industry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Buys 30 New Buses For Intra-City Transportation by ypzilanti: 9:53am On Dec 28, 2012
FG retaliates by purchasing 30 more private jets for presidential fleet.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Buys 30 New Buses For Intra-City Transportation by geeez: 9:55am On Dec 28, 2012
ypzilanti: FG retaliates by purchases 30 more private jets for presidential fleet.

LWKMD!!!
Re: Lagos Buys 30 New Buses For Intra-City Transportation by naptu2: 10:02am On Dec 28, 2012
@ Pharoh: you could buy into the BRT system. With that you are sure that the government would protect you against agbero and NURTW.

The reason why there are so many transport operators is because they provide different levels of service in terms of quality.

For example, in Lekki you have the state government owned BRT (Lagbus). It is comfortable, but they waste time with unnecessary bureaucracy (ticket verification, etc) and their route selection is not very sensible. Some people use Lagbus because of the comfort they get. Others have no time to waste and would prefer to use NURTW services, no matter how uncomfortable they are. The Trade Union Congress started it's own BRT service which is more efficient than Lagsbus and more comfortable than NURTW.

So, you can conduct research, get a lucrative route, figure out your comparative advantage and buy into BRT.
Re: Lagos Buys 30 New Buses For Intra-City Transportation by Pharoh: 10:04am On Dec 28, 2012
CohenJane:

There are four to five LAGBUS from Ikorodu to Unilag, and Unilag to Ikorodu on a daily bases. I don't know about Yabatech

Thank you very much but i was not really looking into that, i am thinking of something between the distance covered by lagbus/BRT and keke Napep. I believe the student going to unilag should live in other parts of the state apart from ikorodu and they will need a shuttle service to beat holdups, incessant stopping at every bus stops and meetup with lectures on time.

naptu2: The University of Lagos Students Union (ULSU) runs shuttle services from within campus to Yaba and Bariga (they are the only ones allowed to run services within campus). Members of NURTW provide service up to the campus gate. There are also BRT services.

Yeah this is exactly what am talking about and i experienced it when i was there early this year. I noticed that the students were having problems with the commercial drivers in terms of price and appropriate stops which should be a working distance to their schools.

So i was thinking if there is possibility of extending that service to other destinations like oyingbo, costain, surulere, bode thomas and ojuelegba or areas close to those schools. I don't know what percentage of students stay in campus but the service is needed by those staying outside campus. you know in some other parts of the world, there are student hostels located at different places and you can create a special bus service that passes through these hostels and some other places to service the students and people living in that area.
Re: Lagos Buys 30 New Buses For Intra-City Transportation by getukudo(m): 10:09am On Dec 28, 2012
pecker_lord:

im sure its people like you i see at ojuelegba every mornign reading fre newspaper and argue with ols men

Lmao!
Re: Lagos Buys 30 New Buses For Intra-City Transportation by Okijajuju1(m): 10:10am On Dec 28, 2012
sheyie2007:
Are they humans? lipsrsealed

YES!! Yoruba humans..
Re: Lagos Buys 30 New Buses For Intra-City Transportation by mapet: 10:17am On Dec 28, 2012
grin grin grin grin you so love us........

meanwhile shine ya eye...it's a painting.
Okija_juju:

YES!! Yoruba humans..
grin

1 Like

Re: Lagos Buys 30 New Buses For Intra-City Transportation by AfroBlue(m): 10:17am On Dec 28, 2012
Why purchase Tata buses and not Innoson brand?

Tata Marcopolo Motors Ltd.

Headquarters Dharwad, India

Innoson Vehicle Manufacturing Company Limited (IVM),

Nnewi, Anambra

[img]http://3.bp..com/-zWBlt7WzVi4/TqMIf9dNrII/AAAAAAAAe48/bxWjT3POvEY/s400/nnewi.jpg[/img]
Innoson 6125 mass transit bus produced in Nnewi

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Buys 30 New Buses For Intra-City Transportation by mapet: 10:18am On Dec 28, 2012
I wan die with LAFF (IWDWL)
ypzilanti: FG retaliates by purchasing 30 more private jets for presidential fleet.
Re: Lagos Buys 30 New Buses For Intra-City Transportation by Pharoh: 10:18am On Dec 28, 2012
@naptu2

1) The government tried what you are talking about in 2001 (I.e, the "City Bus project). They granted licenses to City Bus and other companies to run monopoly services in Ikoyi, Victoria Island and Lekki. It didn't work. Area boys and agberos destroyed the buses. The franchisees could not provide enough buses. Basically, it brought chaos.

That is the problem if you do not fuse these guys into the new system as no one wants to loose their source of livelihood.

2) In planning the BRT system, the government took into account the lessons it learnt from the failed City Bus project.

A) Other commercial buses are not barred from plying these routes.

Will not barring them cause problems for the BRT system in the future if they get their acts together and compete effectively. Both systems are not normally suppose to run side by side if the environment is sensitive to price and also if there are no holdups on the routes anymore. I meant private contracts and franchise are not suppose to run side by side with commercial drivers which is why the government banned them in 2001.

B) Molue and danfo bus drivers are part of a union called the National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW). The NURTW are franchisees in the BRT project. Basically, molue and danfo drivers are retrained to meet standards set by government. They are then given BRT buses to drive. The project is financed by some banks. The government guarantees the NURTW loan. It's a win-win situation for everybody.

This is good then but i thought of a system that these nurtw guys would have implemented if they got their acts together and would not need to transform into the BRT system. It all depends on the returns at the end of the day, will they make more money from the brt system or their own system. what are the incentives the government laid for them to tranfer to the BRt system and sorry for all these questions o.
Re: Lagos Buys 30 New Buses For Intra-City Transportation by Symphony007: 10:19am On Dec 28, 2012
What happened to the light rail project? Is'nt this what modern cities need? Not buses to contribute to the existing traffic gridlock.
Re: Lagos Buys 30 New Buses For Intra-City Transportation by mapet: 10:22am On Dec 28, 2012
May be when Innoson beging to manufacture the Tata equivalent......... I share the sentiment that Lagos should explore buying Innoson's buses. If those Innoson's buses can last 3-5years then it will be a good deal. I hope the cost of acqusition is less than the Indian Tata, cos cost of manufacturing in Nigeria may not be cheap
Afro_Blue: Why purchase Tata buses and not Innoson brand?

Tata Marcopolo Motors Ltd.

Headquarters Dharwad, India

Innoson Vehicle Manufacturing Company Limited (IVM),

Nnewi, Anambra

[img]http://3.bp..com/-zWBlt7WzVi4/TqMIf9dNrII/AAAAAAAAe48/bxWjT3POvEY/s400/nnewi.jpg[/img]
Innoson 6125 mass transit bus produced in Nnewi

1 Like

Re: Lagos Buys 30 New Buses For Intra-City Transportation by Pharoh: 10:23am On Dec 28, 2012
Symphony007: What happened to the light rail project? Is'nt this what modern cities need? Not buses to contribute to the existing traffic gridlock.

The light rail project is still on course but that is not enough to service the whole state. Lagos state can accommodate different forms of transportation like bus, rail, metro, tram and waterways.
Re: Lagos Buys 30 New Buses For Intra-City Transportation by Okijajuju1(m): 10:25am On Dec 28, 2012
mapet: May be when Innoson beging to manufacture the Tata equivalent......... I share the sentiment that Lagos should explore buying Innoson's buses. If those Innoson's buses can last 3-5years then it will be a good deal. I hope the cost of acqusition is less than the Indian Tata, cos cost of manufacturing in Nigeria may not be cheap

Yoruba Man will not buy an Igbo mans Bus when Lanre Shittu is still importing vehicles from china..
Re: Lagos Buys 30 New Buses For Intra-City Transportation by Pharoh: 10:33am On Dec 28, 2012
naptu2: @ Pharoh: you could buy into the BRT system. With that you are sure that the government would protect you against agbero and NURTW.

The reason why there are so many transport operators is because they provide different levels of service in terms of quality.

For example, in Lekki you have the state government owned BRT (Lagbus). It is comfortable, but they waste time with unnecessary bureaucracy (ticket verification, etc) and their route selection is not very sensible. Some people use Lagbus because of the comfort they get. Others have no time to waste and would prefer to use NURTW services, no matter how uncomfortable they are. The Trade Union Congress started it's own BRT service which is more efficient than Lagsbus and more comfortable than NURTW.

So, you can conduct research, get a lucrative route, figure out your comparative advantage and buy into BRT.

Thank you very much, will definitely look into that and see what i can do in the nearest future and i think more competitors will lead to appropriate pricing and quality services.

Concerning the research you talked about, i think most valuable information concerning issues like this should rest with NURTW,LASTMA, LAMATA or existing commercial operators. Will look at how to get those information and work on it but i think LAMATA and LASTMA should step up to regulate pricing, route management and proper scheduling to incorporate time tables and journey planning systems.
Re: Lagos Buys 30 New Buses For Intra-City Transportation by born2boink(m): 10:37am On Dec 28, 2012
Red-Light:
@frank c
atleast its visible.. When will gej buses arrive 4rm china nw? cheesy
sooner, on the sea
Re: Lagos Buys 30 New Buses For Intra-City Transportation by naptu2: 10:38am On Dec 28, 2012
Re: Lagos Buys 30 New Buses For Intra-City Transportation by geeez: 10:39am On Dec 28, 2012
Okija_juju:

Yoruba Man will not buy an Igbo mans Bus when Lanre Shittu is still importing vehicles from china..

Okay then let the Igboman develop a similar transit system and use their own buses ... But dem fit? NO

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Buys 30 New Buses For Intra-City Transportation by Pharoh: 10:39am On Dec 28, 2012
^^

Thanks man.
Re: Lagos Buys 30 New Buses For Intra-City Transportation by emiye(m): 10:46am On Dec 28, 2012
There should be a strict regime of maintenance for the buses and possibly pegged duration in years for the buses to declare them as scrap and taken off the road (5-10 years IMO).
Re: Lagos Buys 30 New Buses For Intra-City Transportation by Okijajuju1(m): 10:49am On Dec 28, 2012
geeez:

Okay then let the Igboman develop a similar transit system and use their own buses ... But dem fit? NO

Shey out of all the Yoruba states, na only lagos develop!! Have you wondered why?! Simple.. Na Federal Government develop the place reach like that..

Make Ibadan start BRT na!! Or even Ekiti.. Or Ogun..

I dey laugh!!

Anytime una sleep wake up, no forget say na all of us money build Lagos.. Tomorrow now, Middle-belt people and Hausa go start to use Abuja make mouth too like say Nama money fit build two story building!

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Buys 30 New Buses For Intra-City Transportation by Okijajuju1(m): 11:03am On Dec 28, 2012
[b]This is a short picture story of the Life of a BRT bus in Yorubaland...

In the beginning, they looked like this.. Everybody was happy!

Then came the Yoruba maintanance culture. They started treating the buses like Danfos and Molues..

Then Iya Atinukes Alomo customers (BRT drivers) used some buses to test building integrity..

Then Alayes vandalized some..

[img]http://1.bp..com/-RXufdXq5lCE/UJpZ8NJ075I/AAAAAAAAFEw/19ejvaD4NzA/s640/BRT.jpg[/img]

NEXT!!! The Yoruba arm of Boko Haram a.k.a NURTW burnt some..

OPC burnt some

[img]http://www.mitvng.com/assets/images/image.php?src=/assets/images/articles/brt.jpg&w=655&h=418&zc=1[/img]

Aggrieved Yoruba Okada riders vandalized some;

[img]http://1.bp..com/-RXufdXq5lCE/UJpZ8NJ075I/AAAAAAAAFEw/19ejvaD4NzA/s640/BRT.jpg[/img]

here are whats left of those once beautiful buses..

[img]http://nationalmirroronline.net/files.php?file=/brt_944357916.jpg[/img]
[img]http://nb2all.files./2012/04/bus.jpg?w=620[/img][/b]

6 Likes

Re: Lagos Buys 30 New Buses For Intra-City Transportation by Okijajuju1(m): 11:03am On Dec 28, 2012
.............THE END
Re: Lagos Buys 30 New Buses For Intra-City Transportation by ypzilanti: 11:04am On Dec 28, 2012
Okija_juju:

Una wan start anoda e-tribal war?

Money has no tribe or race...everybody loves money. If Innoson markets to LASG and ACN/Tinubu gets the normal percentage, they won't bloody care.
The politicians from all the tribes are very united in looting Nigeria. The citizens are divided and fighting. SMH.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Buys 30 New Buses For Intra-City Transportation by Gbawe: 11:08am On Dec 28, 2012
Okija_juju:

Shey out of all the Yoruba states, na only lagos develop!! Have you wondered why?! Simple.. Na Federal Government develop the place reach like that..

I dey laugh!!

Anytime una sleep wake up, no forget say na all of us money build Lagos.. Tomorrow now, Middle-belt people and Hausa go start to use Abuja make mouth too like say Nama money fit build two story building!

You guys make me laugh. Always malevolent, to the point of deception, whenever the SW is mentioned. Ogun State has a functional mass transit scheme in place, that is growing, and virtually all SW States are on course to gain same. Anyway, keep hating and keep spreading the lies only folks like yourself, or those who don't like to read, will swallow.

Your "only Lagos has done this" lie cannot take away from what is being physically witnessed on the ground in the SW. [size=14pt]Instead of sensibly worrying about your own problems you are fixated , 24/7, with discrediting efforts being made in the SW. Tragic. Very tragic for you.[/size]

http://ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=97220:ogun-boosts-mass-transit-services-with-new-buses-n&catid=100:auto-wheels&Itemid=605

Ogun boosts mass transit services with new buses
FRIDAY, 31 AUGUST 2012 00:00 BY YETUNDE EBOSELE FEATURES - AUTO WHEELS
User Rating: / 0
PoorBest

THE Ogun State Governor, Ibikunle Amosun, recently unveiled 77 new buses as part of measures to ease inter and intra city transportation in the state.

The governor also attributed the high incidence of road carnage in Ogun to the poor state of federal roads in the state.

Amosun who spoke at the launch of the Ogun State Bus Mass Transit Scheme (BMTS), at the Memorial Arcade, Oke-Mosan, Abeokuta, described the state of federal roads in Ogun State as “worrisome” and called on the Federal Ministry of Works to speedily fix the roads.

Addressing the gathering that comprised market women, artisans and transporters, Amosun said: “Let me seize this opportunity to express concern on an issue that affects public transportation system, particularly in our state. This concerns the state of the federal roads in the state. It saddens me to say that out of the 465,000 deaths and 18,095 injuries recorded in 5,330 road accidents in Nigeria in 2010, 649 of such deaths, 1,333 injuries and 1,980 accidents occurred in Ogun State alone. This translates to 16 per cent of fatalities, eight per cent of injuries and 37 per cent of road accidents.

“Of course, this is due to the fact that the longest sections of the two busiest highways in Nigeria, the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, that links the busiest air and sea ports of Nigeria in Lagos, with the rest of Nigeria, and the Sagamu-Ore-Benin Expressway that links the western and eastern parts of Nigeria- traverse the length of our state.

“The state of disrepair of these roads and the other federal roads in Ogun State are worrisome. I, therefore, plead with the Federal Government, and most especially, the Federal Ministry of Works to pay attention to these roads as a matter of urgency. This is the only way this mass transit project could be sustainable.”

Amosun explained that the procurement of the buses was to ease transportation pains of the people, pointing out: “Almost immediately after these procurement, the state government entered into diligent negotiation and discussion with transportation experts with the aim of acquiring more high capacity buses to augment the apparent shortfall in the number of buses available for intra-city travel in our state.”

He called on all stakeholders in the transportation industry as well as law enforcement agencies to ensure the success of the BMT programme and to ensure that “our roads become safer for all road users.”

The governor added: “Apart from the fact that this programme will cushion the after- effect of the removal of fuel subsidy, it is believed that these buses will ply our roads, and carry more passengers at once, thus, reducing the need for everyone to put their own vehicles on the road, and incurring costs on the maintenance of their vehicles.

“Therefore, as the numbers of vehicles on our roads are reduced, it will also reduce the propensity for road accidents and casualties arising from such. The roads will also be freer, thus reducing the man-hour wasted in road traffic jams.”

The governor used the occasion to restate his administration’s commitment to the wellbeing of the people of the state. “At this juncture, let me restate our administration’s unwavering commitment to the development of Ogun State, and the well-being of our people. As we have continued to renovate existing roads, we are also constructing new ones. The flagship of the already constructed roads is the already completed six-lane Ibara-Ita-Eko, Totoro Road, which is being linked with the Oke-Ilewo Road, with the on-going over-head bridge, the first in the state capital.”

According to him, the administration would soon commence the construction of six major roads across the state pointing out that the roads, when completed, promised to redefine the transportation landscape of the state.

http://www.oyostate.gov.ng/oyo-to-procure-100-43-seater-mass-transit-buses/

Oyo to procure 100 43-seater mass transit buses
Posted in Featured News, Press/News on September 30, 2012

The Oyo State Government has approved arrangements for the procurement of 100 mass transit buses to ease transportation problem in the state at the cost of N1,744,800,000.
A statement issued in Ibadan on Thursday by the Special Adviser to the Governor on Media, Dr. Festus Adedayo, said that the vehicles are Daewoo-model 43-seater buses to be purchased from Korea.
He said that the 100 units of 43-seater buses’ – Daewoo BF-106 – sum included the cost of the project administration, spare parts and the stay of Korean expatriates in the country for one year.
The statement also said that the state government insisted on bringing the Korean expatriates to train the state technicians so as to increase the workers in the employment of the government’s technical know-how.
According to Adedayo, the buses would be supplied in three phases of 30, 30, 40, with the first batch arriving the state in November 2012.
He explained that the project would also include training, support, design, implementation and maintenance of the project, so as to enable the state derives maximum value from the mass transit project.
The governor’s spokesman said that a workshop would be constructed and maintained by the firm for one year during which technicians and engineers of the state-owned Trans City Transport Company (TCTC) would be trained on the handling and maintenance of the buses, while parts of the vehicles would also be supplied by the company.
Adedayo, who said that some of the technicians and engineers of the state government who would work on the vehicles would also be trained in Korea, added that the procurement of the buses was part of government’s comprehensive transport policy for the state.
He said that the other aspect of the policy would involve procurement of 18-seater mini-buses and taxi cabs aimed at removing some of the rickety vehicles currently being used for commercial purposes in the state

1 Like

Re: Lagos Buys 30 New Buses For Intra-City Transportation by ypzilanti: 11:18am On Dec 28, 2012
Okija_juju:

I dey laugh!!

What are you even talking about? Is it Federal government that designed and executed the BRT system? FG definitely built a lot of the physical structures in Lagos during the seventies, but with the exception of 3rd mainland bridge, Lagos has been largely abandoned.

That said, the maintenance of the BRT buses is appalling. I however give them kudos for still operating in a timely and organized manner. You need to see how the buses in Warri operate to fully appreciate that them try small for Lagos. It's not perfect, but them try.

I agree with you that the taxes of all Lagosians as well as revenue from the delta region runs Lagos.

I am from eastern Nigeria. My state governor is T.A. Orji. In the same region there is a Chime who is performing. Ogun state that is just next door to Lagos is not a well run state. A state that should be the New Jersey of Nigeria's New York is like a glorified village. Let us just appreciate good governance (or relatively better governance) and leave all these tribal sentiments.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Buys 30 New Buses For Intra-City Transportation by Gbawe: 11:25am On Dec 28, 2012
ypzilanti:

I am from eastern Nigeria. My state governor is T.A. Orji. In the same region there is a Chime who is performing. Ogun state that is just next door to Lagos is not a well run state. A state that should be the New Jersey of Nigeria's New York is like a glorified village. Let us just appreciate good governance (or relatively better governance) and leave all these tribal sentiments.

"Was not a well run State" would be a more appropriate statement because the current governor is doing well and on course to turning the State around ih he sustains tempo, goodwill and dedication to duty. I fully concur with the sentence highlighted in red fonts above. It is an appeal many of us make here to deaf and malevolent ears. What, for example, is the point of trying to discredit the Ogun State transit scheme when the previous Governor never deemed that the people deserved such?
Re: Lagos Buys 30 New Buses For Intra-City Transportation by ypzilanti: 11:28am On Dec 28, 2012
In Abia state, all that you have are danfo buses with the poster of a toothy smiling T.A. Orji grinning at you, his nickname 'Ochendo' emblazoned on it.

In Delta state, you have luxurious buses that you do not buy tickets to board, and they pack people like sardines plying their routes.

Abeg, I am not yoruba. I am a resident of Lagos, and the BRT system is one of the few things that government has done that directly impacts the lives of low and middle income people in Lagos. Anytime I need to go to Lagos Island, I never drive. I just board the bus, do my business and return. Please lets call a spade a spade. The BRT is working in Lagos. But very poor maintenance of the vehicles, sha.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Buys 30 New Buses For Intra-City Transportation by ypzilanti: 11:34am On Dec 28, 2012
Gbawe:

"Was not a well run State" would be a more appropriate statement because the current governor is doing well and on course to turning the State around ih he sustains tempo, goodwill and dedication to duty. I fully concur with the sentence highlighted in red fonts above. It is an appeal many of us make here to deaf and malevolent ears. What, for example, is the point of trying to discredit the Ogun State transit scheme when the previous Governor never deemed that the people deserved such?

I am not aware of the improvements you speak of in Ogun state. Good works are hard to hide though- if the new guy is working,the news will gradually reach all. Ogun state should be the second best state in Nigeria. It is next door to Nigeria's power house. the state is punching well below it's weight.

Imagine if Ogun state had the livability of Cross River State, and half the infrastructure of Akwa Ibom. Lagos state would be struggling to retain tax paying residents and businesses.
Re: Lagos Buys 30 New Buses For Intra-City Transportation by omonnakoda: 11:49am On Dec 28, 2012
Okija_juju:

I dey laugh!!

Okoro man ! Just one question I have for you. Why did Oju Iku kill hissef
Re: Lagos Buys 30 New Buses For Intra-City Transportation by PeterKbaba: 12:00pm On Dec 28, 2012
omonnakoda: Okoro man ! Just one question I have for you. Why did Oju Iku kill hissef

Frustration, no respect and acknowledgment from his own people!!!
Re: Lagos Buys 30 New Buses For Intra-City Transportation by omonnakoda: 12:01pm On Dec 28, 2012
PeterKbaba:

Frustration, no respect and acknowledgment from his own people!!!
Kai! Na anada tim me hear O! dat him wife Bianca dey..,.,.. f...u...,

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Don’t Fight Over Politicians, They Always Reconcile – Oba Of Lagos / Governor Ikpeazu Wins At The Supreme Court / Malami To Pursue 2023 Presidential Ambition With Firm Control Of EFCC Fund - SR

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.