Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,740 members, 7,824,132 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:59 PM

Why Is Everyone Silent Over The Persecution Of The SEC DG By The NASS? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is Everyone Silent Over The Persecution Of The SEC DG By The NASS? (914 Views)

Caption These Pictures From Today's Fracas At The NASS / Ike Ekweremadu Explains Why They Fought At The NASS Today / Arunma Oteh - SEC DG Sent On Compulsory Leave (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Everyone Silent Over The Persecution Of The SEC DG By The NASS? by Nobody: 6:31am On Dec 31, 2012
I am overwhelmed with SHOCK and total disbelief about the conspiracy of silence in the ongoing PERSECUTION of the Security and Exchange Commission (SEC) DG, Aruma Oteh, by the NASS.
Aruma Oteh is obviously being persecuted for daring to expose the corrupt practices of a member of the House of Representatives. The NASS is currently waging a campaign of Aruma Oteh MUST GO. This campaign has gotten to the ridiculous level whereby the NASS had to block the budget of SEC in year 2013.

The same SEC DG that is being bombarded from all sides by the NASS has seen the Nigerian capital market rebound and gain close to 30% in year 2012. Unfortunately, these achievements means NOTHING to a system that is hell bent on having its bound of flesh. A system that is fertilizes corruption. A system that hugs corruption. A system that ALWAYS protects the corrupt, provided he or she is one of their own.

For me, the most SHAMEFUL part of this unfortunate incident and perhaps the part that shows WHO WE REALLY ARE is the CONSPIRACY OF SILENCE of critical stake holders in the Nigerian project, including the media, civil society groups, opposition parties and even ordinary citizens. Is it that we are all BLIND to the fact that what the NASS is doing to the SEC DG is PERSECUTION? I have monitored the media for sometime now to see if it will react to this issue but what I'v seen is ABSOLUTE SILENCE. The civil society groups are even worse. It appears they only speak or make noise about any issue they've been PAID for.

In saner societies the NASS would never have gone this route because it will fear a terrible backlash in the media and general society. When shall we start CONDEMNING wrong behaviour and wrong actions consistently as a society? When shall we start speaking in support of those who expose corruption in Nigeria? Where can those who are being persecuted for exposing corruption run to for protection in Nigeria?

It is very unfortunate and SAD that as nation we talk about corruption, blame all of our problems on corruption, yet NONE of us is ready to lift a finger in fighting corruption.

Aruma Oteh may most likely go down for daring to expose corruption, she has been left completely ON HER OWN by a society that is nonchallant, yet scream about corruption day and night.

It is almost certain that corruption will TRIUMPH again. It appears the hue and cry about corruption in Nigeria is for political reasons. Those out of power make so much noise about corruption just to score cheap political points.

Until we unite as a people and a society and say NO to corruption and other vices, no progress will be made in this regard

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Everyone Silent Over The Persecution Of The SEC DG By The NASS? by Nobody: 10:38am On Dec 31, 2012
I thought all the anti-corruption crusaders on NL would have invaded this thread. So all this anti-corruption posturing of some persons are to score cheap political points? I should have known that these persons were FAKE. SMH!

1 Like

Re: Why Is Everyone Silent Over The Persecution Of The SEC DG By The NASS? by hercules07: 2:06pm On Dec 31, 2012
Sincere 9gerian: I am overwhelmed with SHOCK and total disbelief about the conspiracy of silence in the ongoing PERSECUTION of the Security and Exchange Commission (SEC) DG, Aruma Oteh, by the NASS.
Aruma Oteh is obviously being persecuted for daring to expose the corrupt practices of a member of the House of Representatives. The NASS is currently waging a campaign of Aruma Oteh MUST GO. This campaign has gotten to the ridiculous level whereby the NASS had to block the budget of SEC in year 2013.

The same SEC DG that is being bombarded from all sides by the NASS has seen the Nigerian capital market rebound and gain close to 30% in year 2012. Unfortunately, these achievements means NOTHING to a system that is hell bent on having its bound of flesh. A system that is fertilizes corruption. A system that hugs corruption. A system that ALWAYS protects the corrupt, provided he or she is one of their own.

For me, the most SHAMEFUL part of this unfortunate incident and perhaps the part that shows WHO WE REALLY ARE is the CONSPIRACY OF SILENCE of critical stake holders in the Nigerian project, including the media, civil society groups, opposition parties and even ordinary citizens. Is it that we are all BLIND to the fact that what the NASS is doing to the SEC DG is PERSECUTION? I have monitored the media for sometime now to see if it will react to this issue but what I'v seen is ABSOLUTE SILENCE. The civil society groups are even worse. It appears they only speak or make noise about any issue they've been PAID for.

In saner societies the NASS would never have gone this route because it will fear a terrible backlash in the media and general society. When shall we start CONDEMNING wrong behaviour and wrong actions consistently as a society? When shall we start speaking in support of those who expose corruption in Nigeria? Where can those who are being persecuted for exposing corruption run to for protection in Nigeria?

It is very unfortunate and SAD that as nation we talk about corruption, blame all of our problems on corruption, yet NONE of us is ready to lift a finger in fighting corruption.

Aruma Oteh may most likely go down for daring to expose corruption, she has been left completely ON HER OWN by a society that is nonchallant, yet scream about corruption day and night.

It is almost certain that corruption will TRIUMPH again. It appears the hue and cry about corruption in Nigeria is for political reasons. Those out of power make so much noise about corruption just to score cheap political points.

Until we unite as a people and a society and say NO to corruption and other vices, no progress will be made in this regard

I am saddened at what is happening to that woman, the deeds she was accused of as per spending moneys could have been corrected by deducting the extra costs from her salary, like Sanusi, she inherited a messed up Capital market and has had to work hard to restore the confidence of the people in that market, she has made mistakes no doubt but, this persecution is wrong and I hope GEJ shows some backbone by leaving her there. I think the people that are against her are far stronger than her, she probably depends on her intelligence and the work she is doing to survive.
Re: Why Is Everyone Silent Over The Persecution Of The SEC DG By The NASS? by ujchief(m): 2:29pm On Dec 31, 2012
Please Mr sincere 9jerian,
direct ur questions to Gej. We've seen how he swore to fight corruption but only to encourage it in high places by dinning with and apointing corupt men to sensitive positions. The Nass will have the guts to prosecute Oteh, afterall, the oga kpatakpata encourages coruption and possible hates those who stands in the ways of corupt officials.
Wouldn't be suprised when the Nass demands for her sack and Gej oblidges.
Re: Why Is Everyone Silent Over The Persecution Of The SEC DG By The NASS? by Mowire: 4:30pm On Dec 31, 2012
@sincere9jerian, how is she worth peoples' sympathy? Is not the same corruptes system that made her the DG that's trying to get rid of her?
Re: Why Is Everyone Silent Over The Persecution Of The SEC DG By The NASS? by Nobody: 4:39pm On Dec 31, 2012
Mowire: @sincere9jerian, how is she worth peoples' sympathy? Is not the same corruptes system that made her the DG that's trying to get rid of her?
My point really is that a society that does not collectively frown at wrong things, irrespective who is involved, is doomed. Here is a women who exposed corruption but rather than get some kind of protection from the society, all she gets is nonchallance. How then do we expect more persons to expose corruption in future? How then do we expect to triumph over corruption?
Re: Why Is Everyone Silent Over The Persecution Of The SEC DG By The NASS? by Nobody: 4:43pm On Dec 31, 2012
Worse still, this thread is yet to be considered good enough for the front page despite my appeal for its consideration. But we have threads comparing Yar Adua and GEJ and other silly topics on the front page. SMH!
Re: Why Is Everyone Silent Over The Persecution Of The SEC DG By The NASS? by Nobody: 4:53pm On Dec 31, 2012
hercules07:

I am saddened at what is happening to that woman, the deeds she was accused of as per spending moneys could have been corrected by deducting the extra costs from her salary, like Sanusi, she inherited a messed up Capital market and has had to work hard to restore the confidence of the people in that market, she has made mistakes no doubt but, this persecution is wrong and I hope GEJ shows some backbone by leaving her there. I think the people that are against her are far stronger than her, she probably depends on her intelligence and the work she is doing to survive.
It appears the last straw that'll break the camel's back is this blockage of SEC budget by the NASS. I doubt if she'll survive it. But I'm still SHOCKED by the total lack of concern by the society at large on this issue. What else confirms the fact that most of the hue and cry about corruption in Nigeria is HYPOCRITICAL. All the hue and cry about corruption here and there are mere political noise to score cheap political points. In saner society the fear of backlash from the society would have detered the NASS for these thoughtless acts.
Re: Why Is Everyone Silent Over The Persecution Of The SEC DG By The NASS? by wesley80(m): 5:25pm On Dec 31, 2012
It's actually funny how the shamefaced and usually prowling opposition and their shameless Nairaland handles (Gbawe and co. I'm looking at you) have kept mute and totally ignored Mrs Oteh as She's terrorized by the bandits unleashed on her from our very own rendezvous of exalted criminals otherwise called the Federal House of Assembly. It's difficult to imagine its the same bunch that have been relentless in their attack on the presidency over his attitude towards fighting corruption that have chosen to stay mute and watch with gleeful delight as a presidential appointee that has taken a firm stand against corruption is tormented by the very same extract of criminals these noxious and ultimately toxic opposition parties make insane noises over in the media.
I can point to two reasons why they've done so;
1) Cos it indicts their own parties as being just as much laden with criminals as the PDP is. When last did you hear ACN or CPC legislators took a stand contrary to that held by the majority PDP legislators? Not yet, why? cos they are just as much aggrieved a channel of unearned pay has been blocked.
2) Their only game is to portray GEJ as being incompetent and perpetually wrong and would never give him any credit even if it means the nation has to burn, its all or nothing for these ones folks and there's no price too high to pay. Talk about cutting the nose to spite the face!

That's why our democracy is still wearing nappies at thirteen - selfish and destructive opposition that are bent on grabbing power for pecuniary and status benefits and that's exactly why the PDP will continue to flourish. As for the people and the press keeping mute, that's another post entirely.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Everyone Silent Over The Persecution Of The SEC DG By The NASS? by kunlekunle: 6:17pm On Dec 31, 2012
she made 100m for SEC and spent 75M on her self.
Very sincere 9gerian.
Re: Why Is Everyone Silent Over The Persecution Of The SEC DG By The NASS? by Nobody: 6:45pm On Dec 31, 2012
Why don't you go to EFCC and lay your complain? If NASS members wants her downfall because they are scared she might expose them,what is THE CLUELESS ONE doing about it? What stops him from ordering for their arrest?
Sincere 9gerian: Worse still, this thread is yet to be considered good enough for the front page despite my appeal for its consideration. But we have threads comparing Yar Adua and GEJ and other silly topics on the front page. SMH!
Re: Why Is Everyone Silent Over The Persecution Of The SEC DG By The NASS? by Nobody: 6:57pm On Dec 31, 2012
berem: Why don't you go to EFCC and lay your complain? If NASS members wants her downfall because they are scared she might expose them,what is THE CLUELESS ONE doing about it? What stops him from ordering for their arrest?
Obviously, you lost the message in my comments-that as a country, we should rise to condemn corruption and other vices at all times. If we dont do that, all the hue and cry against corruption will be USELESS.
I dont know if you'r aware that the NASS is a separate arm of govt that can even veto the positions of the president.
Re: Why Is Everyone Silent Over The Persecution Of The SEC DG By The NASS? by texazzpete(m): 7:02pm On Dec 31, 2012
You're asking Nigerians to 'feel sorry' for a multi-millionaire who has a rather high, greedy taste for expenditure over a 'persecution' that actually ends in calls being made for her resignation?

In many other civilized societies, her dirty linen that had already been aired in public would be enough reason for her to voluntarily resign. it's only in Nigeria where these things happen, where a thrice accursed thief like Ibori or Bode George would cry 'persecution' over their travails and people would take up the refrain.

What next? You open up a thread asking us to sympathize with Dieziani over her 'media persecution'? Who else do we sympathize with? Anenih? Igbinedion?

I don't see you opening up a thread calling for sympathy for the demonization of Buhari in the media, for example. No thread for Osaze Odemwingie? Who else?

1 Like

Re: Why Is Everyone Silent Over The Persecution Of The SEC DG By The NASS? by Nobody: 7:21pm On Dec 31, 2012
I thought your boss said people's attitude is the problem and not corruption? If you wanna start an anti corruption crusade on this forum,very good.at least its better than all the dumb threads you have been posting on this forum.
Sincere 9gerian:
Obviously, you lost the message in my comments-that as a country, we should rise to condemn corruption and other vices at all times. If we dont do that, all the hue and cry against corruption will be USELESS.
I dont know if you'r aware that the NASS is a separate arm of govt that can even veto the positions of the president.
Re: Why Is Everyone Silent Over The Persecution Of The SEC DG By The NASS? by wesley80(m): 8:14pm On Dec 31, 2012
texazzpete: You're asking Nigerians to 'feel sorry' for a multi-millionaire who has a rather high, greedy taste for expenditure over a 'persecution' that actually ends in calls being made for her resignation?

In many other civilized societies,her dirty linen that had already been aired in public would be enough reason for her to voluntarily resign. it's only in Nigeria where these things happen, where a thrice accursed thief like Ibori or Bode George would cry 'persecution' over their travails and people would take up the refrain.

What next? You open up a thread asking us to sympathize with Dieziani over her 'media persecution'? Who else do we sympathize with? Anenih? Igbinedion?

I don't see you opening up a thread calling for sympathy for the demonization of Buhari in the media, for example. No thread for Osaze Odemwingie? Who else?

This here is our problem as a nation, too many half wits with loud voices or thinking faculties irredemably blunted by sentiments emotions, and general perception and too many folks tagging along - the cliched herd mentality - simply cos they can't think for themselves.
You mean She deserves no pity cos She's a multimillionaire? Would you rather she was a pauper? And what exactly is your idea of a high greedy taste can you reference any piece to back it up? Does your ignorant speaking butthole realize the Lady was subjected to a thorough investigation by an independent auditing firm and came out unscathed? Can you reerence any piece that exposes her so called "dirty linen"? In what "civilized societies" do people resign for standing up to thieving Chairmen of nation robbing committees? And then you start comparing her with Ibori and co on what basis if I might ask?
Did you even bother reading the OP's opening post? if you did then you've got a huge challenge with comprehension as the OP never emphasized any "media persecution" which unfortunately you based your entire ignorant rant on. BTW ,Who still doesn't know this is about her disgrace of Hembe on national TV?
Re: Why Is Everyone Silent Over The Persecution Of The SEC DG By The NASS? by GARRIx7(m): 9:07pm On Dec 31, 2012
@OP: What do you want me to do??

cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Is Everyone Silent Over The Persecution Of The SEC DG By The NASS? by Nobody: 10:52pm On Dec 31, 2012
GARRI (x7):

cheesy cheesy
Speak up against bad behaviour all the time. The actions of the NASS in this matter is bad behaviour. There is the popular saying that bad things happen when good people keep quiet. Does the fact that bad things keep happening in Nig mean that good people are perpetually keeping quiet? Or Is it that there are no good people in Nig? Everyone has to do a thorough soul searching
Re: Why Is Everyone Silent Over The Persecution Of The SEC DG By The NASS? by wesley80(m): 8:19am On Jan 01, 2013
GARRI (x7):

cheesy cheesy

Stay mute if you think its none of your biz.
Re: Why Is Everyone Silent Over The Persecution Of The SEC DG By The NASS? by hercules07: 8:22am On Jan 01, 2013
She will be sacrificed for political expediency, the best thing GEJ can do is to continue appointing tough and uncompromising people into that position, I am not too sure he has the backbone to do that sha.
Re: Why Is Everyone Silent Over The Persecution Of The SEC DG By The NASS? by Peterwins(m): 9:18am On Jan 01, 2013
@sincere9gerian. Please read my comments on: https://www.nairaland.com/1141248/oteh-redeployed-sovereign-wealth-fund/1#13530719

I am in support of Oteh simply because her persecutors did not come to equity with clean hands. GEJ deserves people who are competent and fearless or else they will make him a spectator in his own government.
Re: Why Is Everyone Silent Over The Persecution Of The SEC DG By The NASS? by Nobody: 9:57am On Jan 01, 2013
hercules07: She will be sacrificed for political expediency, the best thing GEJ can do is to continue appointing tough and uncompromising people into that position, I am not too sure he has the backbone to do that sha.
Its not about the back bone of one man alone. Its about a society that makes lots of noise about bad behaviour but does NOTHING to curb it. The president had so far stood behind the SEC DG but how far can that go? The NASS has the power to block the SEC budget, which they just did. And even if the presidency veto's their budget to save the SEC DG, the NASS can over-ride the president's veto thru a 2/3 vote. It is already being speculated that the blockage of the SEC budget is the reason why the president is yet to sign the budget. But my point really is about a society that cannot rally to condemn bad behaviour. A society that is NUMB, DEAF and BLIND to bad behaviour. In saner societies, the NASS would never contemplate this bad behaviour because they would fear terrible backlash from the media and general society.
Even on this forum, this issue is not considered serious enough to make front page. But we have threads comparing GEJ vs Yar Adua and other silly topics on the front page. Smh!
Re: Why Is Everyone Silent Over The Persecution Of The SEC DG By The NASS? by Ddaji(m): 10:01am On Jan 01, 2013
@op may be you are one of those that join her eat N1m food in a day at transcorp or you are one of the beneficiaries of N5obillion looted to private account in the name of capital market at 50.Do you think we are fools to support crinimal.she and legislators are the same.first is she qualified to hold the post?but with all honesty the baby is pretty,she yellow body,tall,huge and sexy
Re: Why Is Everyone Silent Over The Persecution Of The SEC DG By The NASS? by Nobody: 10:07am On Jan 01, 2013
Peterwins: @sincere9gerian. Please read my comments on: https://www.nairaland.com/1141248/oteh-redeployed-sovereign-wealth-fund/1#13530719

I am in support of Oteh simply because her persecutors did not come to equity with clean hands. GEJ deserves people who are competent and fearless or else they will make him a spectator in his own government.
I dont see any reason why she should be deployed just to APPEASE CORRUPTION. Why is the Nigerian society NUMB, DEAF and DUMB to bad behaviour? When shall we start appreciating meritocracy and HARD WORK? Only this morning it was reported that the Nigerian stock market gained about 34% in 2012(one of the best performers in the world), all credit to the SEC DG and her team. But what does she get in return? Persecution, because she exposed the corrupt practices of a member of the house of reps. And what does the society do about all of this? Absolute nonchallance!
Re: Why Is Everyone Silent Over The Persecution Of The SEC DG By The NASS? by wesley80(m): 10:53am On Jan 01, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Its not about the back bone of one man alone. Its about a society that makes lots of noise about bad behaviour but does NOTHING to curb it.
The infamous attitudinal problem.

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Sworn In As Belgian Councillor Europe / Searching For Fashola's Achievements (part 3) / Petition To Invite EFCC And ICP To Probe Fashola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.