Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,552 members, 7,823,439 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:09 AM

I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? - Programming (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? (661280 Views)

As A Computer Science Student,which Language Should I Start Learning / Which Programming Language Should He Go For? / I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (165) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by cannonnier(m): 8:37pm On Aug 02, 2013
Javanian: MOBILE APPLICATIONS
A mobile application (or mobile app) is a software application designed to run on smartphones, tablet computers and other mobile devices. example of mobile applications are opera mini, UCBrowser, Games etc. Mobile Applications run on different platforms such as iPhone, BlackBerry, Android phone or Windows Phone etc. Mobile Applications can be created with Java, Objective-c, c++, C# and so on...
Can a mobile application run on a computer, and vice versa.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Knownpal(m): 7:09am On Aug 03, 2013
cannonnier:
Yes! If the mobile application that run on mobile is created in Java, having .jar and .jad as extensions[like the PES.exe, so phones' app is PES.jar or .jad], it can be run on a system having JavaRuntime installed in it, or better still using an Emulator such as KEmulator and Sjboy [You have to install Javaruntime in your system in order to use KEmulator]You can as well copy a jar or jad file to your phone

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by brushesz: 8:02pm On Aug 03, 2013
cannonnier:

A mobile app would have to be designed, modeled, coded, tested, run and debugged on a computer (PC) before it can now be test-run on the mobile device of which it was designed to run on.

I guess your "vice versa" meant if a computer program could run on a mobile device.
The answer is YES.
The programs you run on your Windows8 PC can as well run on a mobile device that SUPPORTS Windows8. Don't expect a .exe program from your PC to run on your iphone 5 iOS or your android jelly bean OS cos it won't work.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by cannonnier(m): 11:18pm On Aug 03, 2013
brushesz:

A mobile app would have to be designed, modeled, coded, tested, run and debugged on a computer (PC) before it can now be test-run on the mobile device of which it was designed to run on.

I guess your "vice versa" meant if a computer program could run on a mobile device.
The answer is YES.
The programs you run on your Windows8 PC can as well run on a mobile device that SUPPORTS Windows8. Don't expect a .exe program from your PC to run on your iphone 5 iOS or your android jelly bean OS cos it won't work.

All mobile apps can run on a pc but not mobile can run a computer apps right.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by cannonnier(m): 11:27pm On Aug 03, 2013
Known_pal: Yes! If the mobile application that run on mobile is created in Java, having .jar and .jad as extensions[like the PES.exe, so phones' app is PES.jar or .jad], it can be run on a system having JavaRuntime installed in it, or better still using an Emulator such as KEmulator and Sjboy [You have to install Javaruntime in your system in order to use KEmulator]You can as well copy a jar or jad file to your phone

java language is use to create application for java, what language is use for symbian and androids apps?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Knownpal(m): 7:19am On Aug 05, 2013
cannonnier:
java language is use to create application for java, what language is use for symbian and androids apps?
J2ME and C++ for Symbian and Java also for Android. You will have to use eclipse or netbeans [compilers] and switch to .apk instead of .java. Hope you know little about programming.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by cannonnier(m): 10:41am On Aug 05, 2013
Known_pal: J2ME and C++ for Symbian and Java also for Android. You will have to use eclipse or netbeans [compilers] and switch to .apk instead of .java. Hope you know little about programming.

No! I'm learning learning, not practical sha.
I'm having a good time here.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Knownpal(m): 1:32pm On Aug 05, 2013
^^^ Programming is Fun bro!
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by cannonnier(m): 2:20am On Aug 06, 2013
Known_pal: ^^^ Programming is Fun bro!
A guy want to sell hp nc6000 no harddisk+battery not gud @8k.

Will it be oky 4 me to manage it in my programing classes.
And is it fair.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by joshuaopu: 9:53am On Aug 06, 2013
thanks
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Knownpal(m): 4:02pm On Aug 06, 2013
cannonnier:
A guy want to sell hp nc6000 no harddisk+battery not gud @8k.

Will it be oky 4 me to manage it in my programing classes.
And is it fair.
Consider the Ram. If you have more money for management, buying a new battery and Harddisk, then you are good to go. I will advise you to be patient till you have at least 50k so that you can buy even a brand new laptop.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by cannonnier(m): 7:29pm On Aug 06, 2013
Known_pal: Consider the Ram. If you have more money for management, buying a new battery and Harddisk, then you are good to go. I will advise you to be patient till you have at least 50k so that you can buy even a brand new laptop.

Ram512mb.
I believe i shud start with what i have first.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Knownpal(m): 8:30pm On Aug 06, 2013
cannonnier:

Ram512mb.
I believe i shud start with what i have first.
If you are okay by that. No P.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by cannonnier(m): 9:56pm On Aug 06, 2013
Known_pal:
If you are okay by that. No P.

I just wanted to know if it will be fine to learn programming with it, the fairness of the deal. You know i have never own pc before. 'learning programming without a pc is like secondry school physics'
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by lifestyle1(m): 10:14pm On Aug 06, 2013
This info might be useful here i got it online from codeacademy.

"People often ask me what programming language they should learn, and I always say the same thing: "It depends."

Want to be more web savvy, or build a website? — start with Web Fundamentals. This covers all the basic HTML and CSS you'll need to know to understand the web.

Want to make a game or app? — give JavaScript a try. This dynamic language will let you create interactive apps that you can use on a smartphone.

Want to process data or explore databases? - Ruby or Python are your best bet."

I'm out. bye

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by funkymeky: 10:42pm On Aug 06, 2013
Can python programming language be used to write applications and games for any kinda phone?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Ajibel(m): 11:25pm On Aug 06, 2013
funkymeky: Can python programming language be used to write applications and games for any kinda phone?

python isnt a popular choice in that regard sad it's mostly used on symbian and windows os, and who develops for those platform nauadays cry cry
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Knownpal(m): 4:39am On Aug 07, 2013
cannonnier:
I just wanted to know if it will be fine to learn programming with it, the fairness of the deal. You know i have never own pc before. 'learning programming without a pc is like secondry school physics'
You need more money to buy the battery and hardisk. Or would just buy it and be staring at lying down on your table? Okay, go price the battery and Hard disk in the market to see if you can buy it. Make sure the battery is for the laptop.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Knownpal(m): 4:42am On Aug 07, 2013
Ajibel:

python isnt a popular choice in that regard sad it's mostly used on symbian and windows os, and who develops for those platform nauadays cry cry
What platform is it used for? And is it that symbian and windows OS are outdated or what?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Davo93(m): 3:28am On Aug 08, 2013
I sincerely commend you guys for your contributions here most especially the visionier of this thread (Javanian). Kudos! I must also add that coming here as a novice and reading from the first post to this point has re-awakened the passion for programming in me. I hope to start with the details i have got here soon as i have to put one or two things in place first.

In the mean time, i am amazed no one has mentioned 'FORTRAN' because this is what we are been taught here in school. I guess its due to the fact it is outdated. I'm very happy and do hope to find you guruz around when i finally start to put me through.

Bravo!
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by brushesz: 1:22pm On Aug 08, 2013
Davo93: I sincerely commend you guys for your contributions here most especially the visionier of this thread (Javanian). Kudos! I must also add that coming here as a novice and reading from the first post to this point has re-awakened the passion for programming in me. I hope to start with the details i have got here soon as i have to put one or two things in place first.

In the mean time, i am amazed no one has mentioned 'FORTRAN' because this is what we are been taught here in school. I guess its due to the fact it is outdated. I'm very happy and do hope to find you guruz around when i finally start to put me through.

Bravo!

FORTRAN and Pascal are basically learner's tools. With FORTRAN, you'll learn code syntax easily. This same syntax is adopted by C/C++, Java, C#, VB and many modern compilers/ HLL. That's the reason why it's recommended for CSC undergraduates in programming courses.

Pascal prepares you for C++. It introduces you to procedural concept of programming, statement blocks, functions. Even OOP (with Object Pascal) is also introduced in some school.

It's better you learn it the professional way.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Ajibel(m): 2:45pm On Aug 08, 2013
Known_pal: What platform is it used for? And is it that symbian and windows OS are outdated or what?

i only know python is used in android app devt using either kivy or a special package (just forgot its name cry )
the market popularity and share for symbians nd windows has dropped from an ebook i read. Focus is on BB, iPhone nd co. Even most droid apps are created in java sad
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Davo93(m): 4:31pm On Aug 08, 2013
brushesz:

FORTRAN and Pascal are basically learner's tools. With FORTRAN, you'll learn code syntax easily. This same syntax is adopted by C/C++, Java, C#, VB and many modern compilers/ HLL. That's the reason why it's recommended for CSC undergraduates in programming courses.

Pascal prepares you for C++. It introduces you to procedural concept of programming, statement blocks, functions. Even OOP (with Object Pascal) is also introduced in some school.

It's better you learn it the professional way.
Didn't get you right, do you mean i can still go ahead ignoring the FORTRAN? Or i have to start with it?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by cannonnier(m): 5:03pm On Aug 08, 2013
Known_pal:
You need more money to buy the battery and hardisk. Or would just buy it and be staring at lying down on your table? Okay, go price the battery and Hard disk in the market to see if you can buy it. Make sure the battery is for the laptop.
Thanx a lot.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by brushesz: 12:43am On Aug 09, 2013
Davo93: Didn't get you right, do you mean i can still go ahead ignoring the FORTRAN? Or i have to start with it?

Learn FORTRAN and Pascal
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Ajibel(m): 4:14am On Aug 09, 2013
brushesz:

Learn FORTRAN and Pascal

and qBasic and Assembly angry
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Djtm(m): 5:16am On Aug 09, 2013
Learning fortran could be cool if you have a lot of time to throw away, IMO. If you don't, learn something real. Assembly language is a waste of time and a pain in the ass. I wrote the course last semester and I hated it! I still hate it. 'no even look that side!'
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Davo93(m): 6:39am On Aug 09, 2013
brushesz:

Learn FORTRAN and Pascal
At first, the way the lecturers take us FORTRAN was dumb and i can say i don't think i attended the CSC class more than 5 times in a whole semester because it was damn boring. Going back to pick it up now, i hope it doesn't get disturbing because i have got enough motivation here to go back into programming that i once had passion for.

Ajibel:

I actually planned starting with QBasic later moving on to VBasic 6 based on the comments i have gone through as per the branch of programming i'm opting for. I'm i on track?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by brushesz: 6:16pm On Aug 11, 2013
Ajibel:

I wasn't taught Assembly language in school and many schools even in Europe don't. If you were taught AL, good for you.

BASIC is meant and recommended for freshers/beginners in programming.

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (165) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.