Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,065 members, 7,810,973 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:48 PM

I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? - Programming (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? (659277 Views)

As A Computer Science Student,which Language Should I Start Learning / Which Programming Language Should He Go For? / I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (165) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by cyrielo(m): 12:07am On Jun 28, 2013
kambo:

for gui, investgate d qt library, or wxwidgets or fox toolkit. google is ur friend here.on windws u can use mingw or cygwin(unix like Os emu) or visual studio , again, GIYF...
thank am using qt now
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by brushesz: 11:46pm On Jun 28, 2013
Which language to learn is not as important as the programming concept of which you intend on using. You can learn Java, C++,PHP syntax within a week, but that's not all. You need to learn a programming concept.

I prefer Object Oriented but I started with Component based programming.

With PHP, you can apply Procedural or Object oriented programming concept. It's very easy and fast.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Infamous(m): 9:14am On Jun 29, 2013
Maxkdave:

You cant only use html to build a website but its a good start if you wanna be a webmaster. Start with html, then php, css and later javascript. That should build your web designing career.
The question was what would the money be used for?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by d333: 9:31am On Jun 29, 2013
as someone about entering uni, can i start learning on my own with java, then python (knowing c++ would be thought in school)?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by alicialenoire(m): 12:58pm On Jun 29, 2013
It is really good that you want to learn programming which is the popular field in IT software department. As my point of view first you have to start to learn C and C++ which is the basic or fundamental of programming. Once your base is clear you will not more problems regarding programming ahead.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by sealteam66(m): 11:34am On Jun 30, 2013
For me, my desire is not to attack anybody, but just to go with what javanian has started; and that is to clarify maybe somebody like @d333, who doesn't have to take my word for it, bearing in mind that by 2014 it would be 10years I finished my undergrad, and I've gathered some programming experience.

@brushesz, unless you have einstein's IQ you can't learn Object Oriented Programming (OOP) in week, not even procedural like C

@Maxkdave, you are right and prioritized the programming languages according to their level of complexity( and robustness) I haven't started website or web applications(applets) or mobile( which I doubt I would enter), but if I would venture into website design after determining its profitability, I would go from html to php to css to javascript just as you have said. I heard cold fusion employes tags like html making it equally begineer friendly.

@alicienoire, I really don't know who you are speaking to but my advice to NLs is not to listen to you. OOP is a programming concept that is replacing traditional procedural language. you said and I quote
alicialenoire: As my point of view first you have to start to learn C and C++ which is the basic or fundamental of programming.

My question is :C and C++ are they the same?

Furthermore you said and I quote

alicialenoire: which is the basic or fundamental of programming.

Now, how can two lanquages which employs two completely different programming paradigm being the fundamental of programming

I bet you don't know C is procedural and C++ is OOP, furthermore,you don't know the pros and cons of one OOP over the other

Moving on, I believe what people should learn about programming is how to develop accurate algorithm(ie the way the program achieves is result)which is what may programmers lack and then translate that algorithim into machine codes using any lanquage of your choice!That is why if you learnt programming through a reputable institution the teach you UML first which will enable you design the program before the teach you coding

To throw more light on OOP. Now, if you write a 600line programme in C language, you can write the same programme in OOP using only 60lines! or less, because OOP employes the concept of re-usability of codes which programme like C lacks.Now even in the world of OOP if you are writing programme say in C++ you would have to use pointers for memory allocation and collect garbages; for newbies you can accidentally overwrite a memory location, but a language like Java does away with this by employing interface and automatically collects garbage not to mention you compile once and run on any OS, making Java so hot!

To me programmers should develop proper working algorithim(and stop giving excuses that you can't do this and that) requiring few exception handling and not concern themselves with learning 20 OOP which can be used to achieve nearly they same thing

To me java is the most versatile language, for developing standalone, web and mobile application.I have mentioned some reason, and wouldn't say more since my father is not the owner of Oracle. So for the newbies if you have ears listen to a veteran.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by brushesz: 2:17am On Jul 02, 2013
@sealteam66 OOP is the simplest programming concept I've ever worked with. I started OOP with C++ back then in school, it was very interesting especially the class inheretance and polymorphism.

Java simplifies it.

Lol... I bet you, 1 week is too very much to get the full knowledge of it.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 12:31pm On Jul 02, 2013
Javanian:
Ma, Can i use tutorial meant for python 3.3.2 for python 3.0.?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Ajibel(m): 6:02pm On Jul 02, 2013
zameen:
Ma, Can i use tutorial meant for python 3.3.2 for python 3.0.?

Yea sure you can.

#Buh am jus wondering why someone adviced u to learn py3 first

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by 04kaa: 1:58pm On Jul 03, 2013
In what programming language is the game Killer instinct written?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by 04kaa: 2:02pm On Jul 03, 2013
I would like to learn how to programme a game like Killer instinct, which programming language should i start with?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by obanlaIsaiah(m): 6:45pm On Jul 03, 2013
Pls cn some teach hw 2 connect php and mysql together pls any1 2 help me
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by onozor(m): 6:38pm On Jul 04, 2013
THAT IS GREAT
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 7:07am On Jul 05, 2013
Ajibel:

Yea sure you can.

#Buh am jus wondering why someone adviced u to learn py3 first
Are they of any difference?
I think python 3.2.2. Is just an upgraded version. Do I need to start with the very first version?
Enligthen me pls..
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Ajibel(m): 6:21pm On Jul 05, 2013
zameen: Are they of any difference?
I think python 3.2.2. Is just an upgraded version. Do I need to start with the very first version?
Enligthen me pls..

If i'm to suggest, i'd advise u start with python 2.7 and have a good grasp of it before porting to 3.x The differences between d two arent much as of now and besides some modules you may want to work with/learn arent compatible with 3.x versions. Having the knowlege of 2.7 before 3.x keeps u at a better advantage so u can easily be flexible to know what works well in both. Buh if u've started with 3.x go ahead!!! Heavens wont fall

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by LordRahl001: 10:29pm On Jul 05, 2013
obanla Isaiah: Pls cn some teach hw 2 connect php and mysql together pls any1 2 help me
am typing frm my fone xo pls forgive some errors and feel free to report dem hia!!
<?php
mysql_connect("localhost","root","password"wink;
mysql_select_db("selected dbase"wink;

echo 'All is well';

?>

if all is well is printed, then u r good and remember to replace d password wit d mysql pword!!! if its wamp, jt put empty quote!! hope ds helps!!!! all da best!
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by aaron6190: 10:29am On Jul 06, 2013
Beginners shouldn't start with softwares such as vb,vb.net in programming we have two types of programming language,low and high level,in low level we have assembly language,machine language and interpreters,low level languages communicate directly with the machine directly the computer,so any how who is good in low level is consider a pro,but the disadvantage is that they are too slow,and you need to do everything from the scratch even simple keywords like print or printf have a very low procedure,so it's good you know one examples are basic,quick basic,cobol,but high level are far easier and faster,and debug problem quicker that's why most people use them example of these are c,c++,java,python,vb,vb.net,c#

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Happytina(f): 9:26pm On Jul 06, 2013
@Javanian;Thx alot for the hint but my major challenge in this programming is the coding, i dnt knw how to generate them, i dnt knw hw they come abt. For instance if I want to write a program for data collect what programing language do I use. Thank u
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nyumba(m): 5:06pm On Jul 07, 2013
Happytina: @Javanian;Thx alot for the hint but my major challenge in this programming is the coding, i dnt knw how to generate them, i dnt knw hw they come abt. For instance if I want to write a program for data collect what programing language do I use. Thank u
What type of data collect?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by redrumz(m): 8:36pm On Jul 07, 2013
For those wanting to learn python and c

visit this site http://learncodethehardway.org/
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Hennyola(m): 12:23pm On Jul 14, 2013
You guyz are really doing a great job inn here... I've learnt alot from this thread.

Thumbs up Thread owner & other contributors, u guyz rock.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by richoko60: 8:54pm On Jul 14, 2013
Hello everyone, is this thread still available? i like to ask a few questions?

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by cyrielo(m): 11:12am On Jul 15, 2013
yeah sure go ahead
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by GoodBoi1(m): 9:02am On Jul 17, 2013
How long does take to learn c++ to the point of using programming c++?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Pins(m): 9:47pm On Jul 17, 2013
For those whom want to do web app development,i advise u to start with html.this is because as a beginner u wil like to have something happening on the screen,so u wil be propeled to continue to the abstract ones because this is the only web app development that can be executed directly by ur browser,the rest run on it (influence it 4rm the back).i am not a very gud teacher but i can answer your questions on web app development.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 7:17am On Jul 18, 2013
Prepare your mind with HTML.

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (165) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.