Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,867 members, 7,810,299 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:23 AM

I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? - Programming (56) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? (659203 Views)

As A Computer Science Student,which Language Should I Start Learning / Which Programming Language Should He Go For? / I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) ... (165) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by mikrizz: 8:36pm On Feb 02, 2016
Can i learn Programming without a PC?...But with an Android and Ios devoce?...Perharps we should create a whatsapp group 08035397407
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by binarykid(m): 8:08am On Feb 03, 2016
Pls i stay in lagos, i studied economics but i hav always had interest in IT. the issue is that my background is not in pure sciences so im confused as to wch path to choose btw CISCO and programming. kindly advise
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by WafiJoe(m): 12:45pm On Feb 04, 2016
mikrizz:
Can i learn Programming without a PC?...But with an Android and Ios devoce?...Perharps we should create a whatsapp group 08035397407

The first sign that you are interested in learning programming is having a laptop. Don't ask me how you are going to get one.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by severus(m): 8:18pm On Feb 04, 2016
For all those who would love a successful career in modern technology and innovation, there is an online platform where you can Teach yourself how to build websites, mobile apps and do java programming, you can learn with 1000s of material and even study from your phone and get certificate to boost your CV. Also find out how you can make money and drive success with your ideas and skills. go from code geek to master Entrepreneur.....check it out at www.codelab.cf
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by shootingstar: 11:23pm On Feb 04, 2016
Try codeacademy as well https://www.codecademy.com/ . It will walk you through the basics using their online platform and if you pay for the premium subscription you get access to projects and help from advisors.

and if you are really serious about a career and also funding you can subscribe to Udacity's nanodegree program with affiliates with Google. It's 200 bucks a month not sure of the naira equivalent though.

I have used both platforms my self.

For starters, I will suggest starting with Python - though you will need to have the Python interpreter installed if you are using windows PC - Personally I think programmers should be using a MacOS or Linux ( Just my personal preference though).

Java is also a good starting point as it has a broad range of frame work use - Javascript, AngularJS, NodeJS in short Web app Dev , Android App Dev even Arduino board for Smart Home Technologies.

Starting with C or C++ can a pose a challenge as you have to worry about garbage collection as well as ridiculously infuriating syntax - missing colons can drive you nuts. Plus C operates at a low level.

Regardless of what you choose they all have similar underlying concepts ranging from functions, classes, conditional statements etc. so if you master one of the language all you will need to know when switching to a different language is just looking up the syntax of carrying out a function in that language.

Rule of Thumb: When you learn a language keep using it else you the skills.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by shootingstar: 11:34pm On Feb 04, 2016
conyema12:
Hi guys,

Pls i thank you all for this great forum. Kudos to u all.

I currently need to learn programming, i feel it will be needed in my line of work as a petroleum Engineer.

1. How is it possible to learn and be competent in
VBA and C++ in 6months.

2. I need a good programming school probably in Owerri ( cos i reside there) that will break the ice for me before i can handle it on my own.

3. How much will i be budgetting for this.

It is not about the time frame but how much "continuous" hours you put into it practicing it. The time frame to become competent would vary depending on previous programming experience, love for the language (It can get really annoying sometimes when you can't seem to figure what is going on) and time put into it

I work with an oil and Gas firm - Husky Energy and frankly most of the engineers don't use programming knowledge of the likes of C++. It is those of us in the IS department who write the programs and they just use it. If you want to learn a program, in your case I will suggest focusing VBA. It is a particularly useful language to improve efficiency.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by exxy(m): 8:03am On Feb 07, 2016
shootingstar:
Try codeacademy as well https://www.codecademy.com/ . It will walk you through the basics using their online platform and if you pay for the premium subscription you get access to projects and help from advisors.

and if you are really serious about a career and also funding you can subscribe to Udacity's nanodegree program with affiliates with Google. It's 200 bucks a month not sure of the naira equivalent though.

I have used both platforms my self.

For starters, I will suggest starting with Python - though you will need to have the Python interpreter installed if you are using windows PC - Personally I think programmers should be using a MacOS or Linux ( Just my personal preference though).

Java is also a good starting point as it has a broad range of frame work use - Javascript, AngularJS, NodeJS in short Web app Dev , Android App Dev even Arduino board for Smart Home Technologies.

Starting with C or C++ can a pose a challenge as you have to worry about garbage collection as well as ridiculously infuriating syntax - missing colons can drive you nuts. Plus C operates at a low level.

Regardless of what you choose they all have similar underlying concepts ranging from functions, classes, conditional statements etc. so if you master one of the language all you will need to know when switching to a different language is just looking up the syntax of carrying out a function in that language.

Rule of Thumb: When you learn a language keep using it else you the skills.
Nice One, like you said code academy is very good and that Udacity is where i intend to take some good courses.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by jayriginal: 3:00pm On Feb 08, 2016
FINgames:
PLS GURUS .I KNOW THIS IS NOT THE RIGHT
THREAD.BUT PLEASE CAN YOU ASSIST ME IN
GETTING A LINK TO DOWNLOAD A PDF FORMAT
OF
THIS BOOK. [
b] A MIND FOR NUMBERS:HOW TO
EXCEL IN MATHS AND SCIENCE.(EVEN IF YOU
FLUNKED ALGEBRA).[\b]

author:babara oakley

PLEASE. I REALLY NEED THIS BOOK.I DARE TO SAY
I WOULD BE ETERNALLY GRATEFUL. THANKS

Do you still need the book or you have obtained it already?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 6:18pm On Feb 08, 2016
jayriginal:

Do you still need the book or you have obtained it already?
ive gotten the epub version
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Orinameh: 6:47pm On Feb 08, 2016
Check out my first android app I built after getting motivation from this thread....The download link is https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=orinameh.com.inspirator...your feed-back will be highly valued..

Finally, the best way to learn anything(programming inclusive) is to start by doing. Don't be afraid of errors(bugs), get your hands dirty and be patient...Although, u will need internet and a PC too

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by jayriginal: 12:48am On Feb 09, 2016
FINgames:
ive gotten the epub version
Ok.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by horrpeyemi: 9:04am On Feb 10, 2016
Orinameh:
Check out my first android app I built after getting motivation from this thread....The download link is https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=orinameh.com.inspirator...your feed-back will be highly valued..

Finally, the best way to learn anything(programming inclusive) is to start by doing. Don't be afraid of errors(bugs), get your hands dirty and be patient...Although, u will need internet and a PC too
your app link to google playstore is not valid and what is the name of your app did you create it from scratch?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by cridols: 11:25am On Feb 10, 2016
4 GLTE internet service, starter pack ( 12,000 ) with 10G,
data ( 5,000) for 10 G CONTACT FELIX 09056088718
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 12:09pm On Feb 10, 2016
hi dear cisco and programming is fun, cisco is into two parts CCNA and CCNP, CCNA gives you knowledge about networks, switch configuration, routers, frame relay, WAN and CCNP gives knowledge about implementing EIGRP based solutions, multi-area OSPF network, an IPV4 and IPV6, VLAN based solution. programming is designing web pages, offline-online, designing computer applications. if you are a technical person like me I would refer to CISCO. call 07039167218 for details
binarykid:
Pls i stay in lagos, i studied economics but i hav always had interest in IT. the issue is that my background is not in pure sciences so im confused as to wch path to choose btw CISCO and programming. kindly advise
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by exxy(m): 12:27am On Feb 12, 2016
Math Tutor

Purpose
This assignment is designed to help students in using C++ to perform basic calculations. Students will also gain experience with generating randon numbers.

Problem Statement
Write a program that can be used as a math tutor for a young student. The program should display two random numbers between 1 and 9 to be added, subtracted, multimplied, and divided, such as 3 * 9 =

After the student has entered an answer and pressed the [Enter] key, the program should display the correct answer so the student can see if his or her answer is correct.

Sample Output
3 + 9 = 12
That's Correct
3 - 9 = 6
Sorry, That's not correct, the correct answer is -6
3 X 9 = 27
That's Correct
3 / 9 = 0.333
Sorry, That's not correct, the correct answer is 0.

My Ogas I need some ideas on how to write the syntax
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by codemarshal08(m): 4:04am On Feb 12, 2016
exxy:

Math Tutor

Purpose
This assignment is designed to help students in using C++ to perform basic calculations. Students will also gain experience with generating randon numbers.

Problem Statement
Write a program that can be used as a math tutor for a young student. The program should display two random numbers between 1 and 9 to be added, subtracted, multimplied, and divided, such as 3 * 9 =

After the student has entered an answer and pressed the [Enter] key, the program should display the correct answer so the student can see if his or her answer is correct.

Sample Output
3 + 9 = 12
That's Correct
3 - 9 = 6
Sorry, That's not correct, the correct answer is -6
3 X 9 = 27
That's Correct
3 / 9 = 0.333
Sorry, That's not correct, the correct answer is 0.

My Ogas I need some ideas on how to write the syntax

Bro, don't you think you are supposed to post this in the c++ help section ?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Realrex(m): 4:26am On Feb 14, 2016
this is actually an assignment, is there anything wrong with these Int x; float y int 2good; int float; int yes&no;
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by rahman3853(m): 12:37am On Feb 15, 2016
As u rightly said, u wanna start learning programing....start with the interpreter, BASIC ( Beginner's All-Purpose Symbolic Instruction Code)
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by younghero2: 6:27pm On Feb 16, 2016
Pls guys I have been following up this tread nd I so much luv the discussions. Bt pls I would be happy if u guys can help me out now cause am jst confused.
I jst finished my ccna traning abt to take the exam, I have also a+ certification. bt am jst confused on wat to do after that. I dnt have a degree yet, so I dnt know if I should enroll into niit MMS program in software engineering. Or should I jst further ahead with ccna security nd ccnp. I jst dnt
know hw true the niit MMS program is. Can I use it
to apply for a top up to get a degree in india? Or any
other university? Nd how much is it gona cost me. Pls I
will appreciate ur advice. Tanks 09037938274
Kcjust.info2@gmail.com
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by exxy(m): 6:25pm On Feb 18, 2016
Guys Check this challenge out

Program Specification

All the integers beginning with 1 are written down in succession. what digit is in the Xth place;
Write a program that allows me to input a position and it outputs what digit is in that place of the succession. Also the program should output how many numbers had to be created in order to get the position.

Note: Xth position will not be longer than 2000

This program is a school challenge, How do I go about the syntax ?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by sinequanon: 6:36pm On Feb 18, 2016
exxy:
Guys Check this challenge out

Program Specification

All the integers beginning with 1 are written down in succession. what digit is in the Xth place;
Write a program that allows me to input a position and it outputs what digit is in that place of the succession. Also the program should output how many numbers had to be created in order to get the position.

Note: Xth position will not be longer than 2000

This program is a school challenge, How do I go about the syntax ?

It doesn't make sense. Somebody is mixing up the words "digit" and "integer".

Also, "numbers created" doesn't make any sense. Do they mean, "how many numbers had to be tested?"

Not all methods will involve directly testing numbers.

It is a very badly formulated question (not the first I have noticed in assignments posted on this forum).
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by exxy(m): 7:10pm On Feb 18, 2016
sinequanon:

It doesn't make sense. Somebody is mixing up the words "digit" and "integer".

Also, "numbers created" doesn't make any sense. Do they mean, "how many numbers had to be tested?"

Not all methods will involve directly testing numbers.

It is a very badly formulated question (not the first I have noticed in assignments posted on this forum).
I"ld check it out again, cause i wrote it down in a hurry. may be it's my fault, i'ld check it out later today.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by danidee10(m): 3:40pm On Feb 19, 2016
WafiJoe:

The first sign that you are interested in learning programming is having a laptop. Don't ask me how you are going to get one.

Nah.....this even shows that he is very interested, I personally know someone that learnt python using his android tablet.....though he installed debian on it
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by smobnology(m): 6:36am On Feb 20, 2016
How To Change Heading Style In Blogger Using CSS
1. Go to Blogger > Template > Edit HTML
2. Now search for ]]></b:skin>
3. Paste the following code above ]]></b:skin>
/*mybloggersworld.com*/
.post h3{
color:#666;
border-top:1px dotted #666;
border-bottom:1px dotted #666;
font-size: 18px;
padding-top:2px;
padding-bottom:2px;
}
Get the full code here: www.smobnology.com/2016/02/how-to-change-heading-style-in-blogger.html?m=1

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by WafiJoe(m): 3:10pm On Feb 21, 2016
danidee10:

Nah.....this even shows that he is very interested, I personally know someone that learnt python using his android tablet.....though he installed debian on it

Okay, maybe I am just an oldschool guy. But I must say, if you really want to learn programming, you should get a laptop.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 11:00am On Feb 23, 2016
as an SQL developer I made millions now I am a software architect hoping to get billions.

contact me 07067212537

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by webdevgod: 12:58am On Feb 25, 2016
You question is very vague..You want to learn programming but what field do you want to venture into?

Here are the main ones:

Web Development
Software Development
App Development
Game Development
Cyber Security
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 6:41am On Feb 25, 2016
webdevgod:
You question is very vague..You want to learn programming but what field do you want to venture into?

Here are the main ones:

Web Development
Software Development
App Development
Game Development
Cyber Security
web development and my questions are:
self learning or must it be taught by a tutor?
duration to know the basics if 12 hours dedicated daily
best online site for materials
your advice join?
thanks
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 10:48am On Feb 25, 2016
I NEED SOMEBODY TO TEACH ME PROGRAMMING.

DO U STAY AROUND EGBEDA, IKOTUN, IGANDO, IDIMU, IN LAGOS STATE. PLS CONTACT ME. 08161333751

(1) (2) (3) ... (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) ... (165) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.