Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,832 members, 7,810,200 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:19 PM

I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? - Programming (55) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? (659173 Views)

As A Computer Science Student,which Language Should I Start Learning / Which Programming Language Should He Go For? / I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) ... (165) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by mexzony: 12:47pm On Jan 17, 2016
isidollarboy:
Goodday oga's in the house. I need una advice. I want to learn php and java language, how much and what will it cost me. I only have little knowledge in html. I will also be doing them in my course module by next year, i want to start preparing myself down... I need una contributions and advice...
You ppl trying to learn two languages at a time.why don't you choose one and focus on it a 100%. Will you learn the whole of java in 6 months and then learn PHP in 6 months too.its not possible.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by conyema12(m): 1:19pm On Jan 17, 2016
Hi guys,

Pls i thank you all for this great forum. Kudos to u all.

I currently need to learn programming, i feel it will be needed in my line of work as a petroleum Engineer.

1. How is it possible to learn and be competent in
VBA and C++ in 6months.

2. I need a good programming school probably in Owerri ( cos i reside there) that will break the ice for me before i can handle it on my own.

3. How much will i be budgetting for this.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by isidollarboy(m): 1:22pm On Jan 17, 2016
mexzony:

You ppl trying to learn two languages at a time.why don't you choose one and focus on it a 100%. Will you learn the whole of java in 6 months and then learn PHP in 6 months too.its not possible.
Thanks for your response.. I know it's not going to be easy learn both together i was actually trying to let my oga's know the languages i want to learn but will go with which ever one that comes first maybe PHP couple with HTML.. please i need a recommendation on what it will takes. Thanks
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by mexzony: 3:07pm On Jan 17, 2016
isidollarboy:
Thanks for your response.. I know it's not going to be easy learn both together i was actually trying to let my oga's know the languages i want to learn but will go with which ever one that comes first maybe PHP couple with HTML.. please i need a recommendation on what it will takes. Thanks
First of all what do you want to do?
PHP is for web applictations i think while java is for desktop mobile android and so on....
Pick one depending on what you want and stick to it like a mad man for the next one year.
You would need to study for may be for 6 hours at least a day maybe more if you can go the extra mile.
Watch videos too to help aid the learning process.
PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE....
Good luck
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by mobaladf: 2:01pm On Jan 18, 2016
Batch programming language, then html, css, php, javascript, Vb, C#, C++, C, Python, and overall JAVA
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Mich43l(m): 4:53pm On Jan 18, 2016
isidollarboy:
Goodday oga's in the house. I need una advice. I want to learn php and java language, how much and what will it cost me. I only have little knowledge in html. I will also be doing them in my course module by next year, i want to start preparing myself down... I need una contributions and advice...

averagely 13k. http://eti.ng/java-programming-for-absolute-beginners.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 11:47am On Jan 19, 2016
Improve your website's look by adding a slider
through my tutorial at https://www.nairaland.com/2875699/coding-responsive-slider-html-css

**Coded from scratch
**Link to download source code available
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by conyema12(m): 12:02pm On Jan 19, 2016
mobaladf:
Batch programming language, then html, css, php, javascript, Vb, C#, C++, C, Python, and overall JAVA

pls bros can you send me a site to download C++ compiler.
thnx
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 12:33pm On Jan 19, 2016
conyema12:

thnx

[url]https://www.google.com.ng/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjjmKbR47XKAhWCOhoKHQn4Dt4QFgg3MAM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.microsoft.com%2Fen-us%2Fdownload%2Fdetails.aspx%3Fid%3D41151&usg=AFQjCNELdBUUJ8bN0FR9nDDHDHSHBf8kRw[/url]
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by mobaladf: 4:54pm On Jan 19, 2016
conyema12:

thnx

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=41151
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by conyema12(m): 6:37pm On Jan 19, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

[url]https://www.google.com.ng/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjjmKbR47XKAhWCOhoKHQn4Dt4QFgg3MAM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.microsoft.com%2Fen-us%2Fdownload%2Fdetails.aspx%3Fid%3D41151&usg=AFQjCNELdBUUJ8bN0FR9nDDHDHSHBf8kRw[/url]

Thanx

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by conyema12(m): 6:40pm On Jan 19, 2016
Thanx Mobaladf and DanielThe Geek.

I just wrote my first program today usingC++

Hello world!
It feels good
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by mobaladf: 6:44pm On Jan 19, 2016
conyema12:
Thanx Mobaladf and DanielThe Geek.

I just wrote my first program today usingC++

Hello world!
It feels good

U still ve a long way to go. Do you know Vb or C#
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by conyema12(m): 9:15pm On Jan 19, 2016
mobaladf:

U still ve a long way to go. Do you know Vb or C#

no just starting with C++
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by mobaladf: 9:22pm On Jan 19, 2016
conyema12:

no just starting with C++
Guy learn to start from the basic ones. C++ is high oo. If you learn VB or C# you will be very good in C++. You try and learn them. Guy programming language is not something you can jump and learn because if you dnt know their basics my brother you wont be very good or a professional in writing them. I started from batch file, Vbscript, Html, Css, PHP, Vb, C# then C++ and find it easy for me because ve gone through similar languages lik VB and C#. Am no that good in CSS and PHP because I didnt finish it. I just want to know their basics as a web programming language.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 9:49pm On Jan 19, 2016
mobaladf:

Guy learn to start from the basic ones. C++ is high oo. If you learn VB or C# you will be very good in C++. You try and learn them. Guy programming language is not something you can jump and learn because if you dnt know their basics my brother you wont be very good or a professional in writing them. I started from batch file, Vbscript, Html, Css, PHP, Vb, C# then C++ and find it easy for me because ve gone through similar languages lik VB and C#. Am no that good in CSS and PHP because I didnt finish it. I just want to know their basics as a web programming language.

There is no defined ladder to success in Programming, If your passion and craze is C++ then + it to your life and get going.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by mobaladf: 9:55pm On Jan 19, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

There is no defined ladder to success in Programming, If your passion and craze is C++ then + it to your life and get going.
Yea of cuz nice point. Like me na am going for JAVA. JAVA is my based language. But I want to learn languages that does similar things. Of cuz you know JAVA is a Higher Programming Language not bread and beans. If I start Java nw it will be very easy for me. Then I will also ve knowledge of various languages

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by conyema12(m): 10:00pm On Jan 19, 2016
mobaladf:

Really, I have always thought its something i can hazzle on my own, dont make me change my mind and break bank for NIIT ooo,
I must be a programming guru before this year runs out thats my task.

I only need something that will help me write some small programms for some task in my line of work.
Maybe i will get more addictive to others along the line.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by mobaladf: 10:08pm On Jan 19, 2016
conyema12:

Really, I have always thought its something i can hazzle on my own, dont make me change my mind and break bank for NIIT ooo,
I must be a programming guru before this year runs out thats my task.

I only need something that will help me write some small programms for some task in my line of work.
Maybe i will get more addictive to others along the line.
Egbon am not changing your mind. Being a programmer is not just a year is about years. Ve been learning when I was in jss3 which i started from from batch programming language. The simplest and useful programming language. There is not C++ will do that C# will not do Vb. It is how you use them or how u make them to work. My brother you want to learn C++ a year. Wow u must be a fast learner. You will just ve the idea you wont know it like a professional. If you really want to be a crazy, geek and guru programmer you cant just say you only know C++.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by conyema12(m): 10:42pm On Jan 19, 2016
mobaladf:

Egbon am not changing your mind. Being a programmer is not just a year is about years. Ve been learning when I was in jss3 which i started from from batch programming language. The simplest and useful programming language. There is not C++ will do that C# will not do Vb. It is how you use them or how u make them to work. My brother you want to learn C++ a year. Wow u must be a fast learner. You will just ve the idea you wont know it like a professional. If you really want to be a crazy, geek and guru programmer you cant just say you only know C++.

i guess i have no idea of what am getting into....
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by mobaladf: 10:53pm On Jan 19, 2016
conyema12:

i guess i have no idea of what am getting into....

My broder you can continue to learn it and make sure you learn it very well and use it to build tons of useful softwares bfor goin to another language. Good luck
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by sinequanon: 1:05pm On Jan 20, 2016
C is a good language to start with.

It is accessible:

if you are using Linux, the operating system is usually packaged with a C-compiler. If you are using Windows, you can download a GNU C-compiler. A compiler converts the text in your program into a form better suited for a computer. It is compulsory.

It is a very transferable skill:

The basics of C are the same basics of the vast majority of languages: program structure (assignments, conditions, loops, function calls etc.)

Many other languages also share much of the same syntax (symbols and program layout) as C. So, you open the door to quickly learning many other languages afterwards.

A number of languages are a superset of C, which means that they are "C and more". The C you have learned will work in those languages.

Teaches you about programming environment and packaging:

Apart from coding in text form, C will encourage you to understand how that text is processed so that it can run on a computer. You will gain hands on experience of a program compiler, linker and precompiler. This will teach you some of the cross-concepts (concepts applicable to almost all languages) in scalability (what happens when your program gets very large and, e.g, you have to break down the code into separate files, perhaps so that different people can work on different parts. The separate parts are compiled, and a linker packages or binds the pieces together ).

It is very important to understand environment and packaging, because you still have to do the same steps for the simplest program. You still have to call the linker for a program written in ONE file. The link step (and other such steps) may not be intuitive here, unless you know of the bigger picture of scalability. It is easy to forget things that are not intuitive. They are hard work to remember and can be confusing.

Object Oriented Programming

C is not an Object Oriented Programming language.

At some point, learning OOP (Object Oriented Programming) theory will give you access to learning other languages. I recommend that once you have the simpler basics of C under your belt, you learn OOP THEORY. OOP languages were developed to support team collaboration in programming, and prevent code written in one "file" accidentally conflicting with code written in another "file" in a large multi-file program. OOP defines protected domains and scopes for your code. A very simple example in a large team environment would be where one programmer accidentally gives one of his variables the same name as one of yours. In OOP, mechanisms are in place to ensure that the variables remain separate.

Learning OOP is extremely important unless your field is something like science research, where procedural coding is still normal.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Ruletown(m): 2:37am On Jan 23, 2016
i'm b very brief here, but as a core java programmer with some years in experience i would advice you to actually start your programming quest from the level of 1: UML, this will help u understand d rudiment of process flow, and give u insight into Object Oriented Programmer which is the best approach to application development, 2: learn alitt of database to broader understanding of hw data is being manipulated then lastly 3: start java from the beginning, i mean 'Hello World' understanding it
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by avidmaverick(m): 8:22am On Jan 24, 2016
For those of you who are based in Lagos and want to learn programming, you could apply to the Code 4 Impact program. It's for young females preferably between ages 18-24, in a tertiary institution and have 0 or little prior coding experience. And its totally FREE!!!. It closes on Jan 31st. The application site is www.code4impact.hacey.org.

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Ayets(m): 12:32pm On Jan 28, 2016
start with java,also i will advice you to have ideal of html very well because it will help you
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by exxy(m): 4:21am On Jan 29, 2016
My Ogas, make una help me check this assignment whether una fit write the code for C++

During the past decade ocean levels have been rising faster than in the past, an average of approximately 3.1 millimeters per year. Write a program that given the initial ocean level, will compute how much ocean levels are expected to rise during the next 20 years if they continue to rise at this rate. Display the answer in both centiments and inches. The final output should be the projected ocean level.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by mexzony: 9:23am On Jan 29, 2016
exxy:
My Ogas, make una help me check this assignment whether una fit write the code for C++

During the past decade ocean levels have been rising faster than in the past, an average of approximately 3.1 millimeters per year. Write a program that given the initial ocean level, will compute how much ocean levels are expected to rise during the next 20 years if they continue to rise at this rate. Display the answer in both centiments and inches. The final output should be the projected ocean level.
First of all you need to come up with a mathematical model (formulae).that describes the behaviour of the ocean and formualr that help you to input the number of years and give you the predicted ocean level.
You will need to remember your math particularly the topic limit and Funtions especially functions...
You will need to read up on how yo come up with equations or models for behaviours then turning it into code is easy.
Research a bit...
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by exxy(m): 10:01am On Jan 29, 2016
mexzony:

First of all you need to come up with a mathematical model (formulae).that describes the behaviour of the ocean and formualr that help you to input the number of years and give you the predicted ocean level.
You will need to remember your math particularly the topic limit and Funtions especially functions...
You will need to read up on how yo come up with equations or models for behaviours then turning it into code is easy.
Research a bit...
Ok bro. sent u a pm
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by frankdupree: 5:47pm On Jan 31, 2016
For anyone who wants to learn from a guru, send me a pm. I'll get back to you.(will put you through for free)

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) ... (165) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.