Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,927 members, 7,821,247 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:21 AM

Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? (15853 Views)

A Thread For Good Movies That Are Not Popular. / ***~~~Good Movies With Stupid/terrible Endings~~~*** / Good Movies You've Seen So Far In 2008 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by semid4lyfe(m): 12:15am On Jan 02, 2013
Sisi_Kill:

Sigh!

I had such high hopes.

Lol. . .your acerbic wit and sarcasm takes a little getting used to
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by Nobody: 12:18am On Jan 02, 2013
VillageBoi:
I saw the Figurine and absolutely hated it. Why? It was a brilliant film for the first two-thirds of it and then all of a sudden it badly fell off a cliff into some silly gibberish.

I mostly agree except I would say it was more like only the middle thirds was brilliant. The pacing was too slow in the beginning and the end completely ruined it like you said. The pieces didn't come together well enough at the end.

*I desperately searched for this movie for almost a year because of all the hype and I have to say it did not meet up* It was almost there, but not quite.
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by woye77: 12:27am On Jan 02, 2013
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by Nobody: 12:29am On Jan 02, 2013
I can honestly say I've NEVER particularly been overly impressed by ANY Nollywood movie, there are the few 'better' ones but meh. In fact I think Nollywood movies have worsened, the only 'improvements' are probably that a good amount come in 'HD', and actors/actresses look 'cleaner' tongue
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by Nobody: 12:37am On Jan 02, 2013
ibkaye: I can honestly say I've NEVER particularly been overly impressed by ANY Nollywood movie, there are the few 'better' ones but meh. In fact I think Nollywood movies have worsened, the only 'improvements' are probably that a good amount come in 'HD', and actors/actresses look 'cleaner' tongue
. You're talking HD when movies are now premiering 3D in Hollywood.

An experience I look forward to and ofcourse not in Hollywood because that will take another 2 decades.
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by coogar: 12:38am On Jan 02, 2013
VillageBoi:
I saw the Figurine and absolutely hated it. Why? It was a brilliant film for the first two-thirds of it and then all of a sudden it badly fell off a cliff into some silly gibberish.
Thankfully, Mr Afolayan has so grown since then and his new film 'Phone Swap' is probably one of the best Nollywood films ever in terms of storytelling, production values and cross-over audience (I saw it at the British Film Institute and over half of the audience was caucasian and were laughing just as hard as we were). It is an amazing, amazing, must see, must own film!

the figurine is a shyte movie
it was excellent for most parts but the final 15-20 mins left a bitter taste on my tongue. it's either mr afolayan is mentally challenged or he took his audience for fools. the way the story just went belly-up is nothing to write home about.

that said, there are several nigerian movies that make the cut. do nigerians really know good movies? it's a difficult question to answer - i would say far majority know what a good movie is but they are starved and they have had to adapt to the trash the iweka road boys produce on a weekly basis!
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by nex(m): 12:52am On Jan 02, 2013
Nigerians know what good movies are, it's just that they are trying to make do with what is being served up their plate.

Someone like Kunle Afolayan who has invested so much human, material, and technical effort into 'The Figurine', would never hand his movie to Africa Magic in return for peanuts, so Africa Magic encourages Nollywood to churn out such works as 'Beauty And The Beast'.

I promote nigerian movies on Social Media, and some of them are so poorly made, that I just have to reject their brief.

For the Nigerian entertainment industry to work, I personally have suggested the intervention of the Standards Organization of Nigeria or the Nigerian Institute of Standards. Nollywood itself, (which was created by a video cassette seller who only went into movie production to dislodge warehouse of stock) has to be totally scrapped, and the Nigerian Movie Industry has to be built from the ground, up.

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by Nobody: 12:53am On Jan 02, 2013
Brand_new: . You're talking HD when movies are now premiering 3D in Hollywood.

An experience I look forward to and ofcourse not in Hollywood because that will take another 2 decades.

He didn't say 2D. He said HD. Last I checked, 3D is also in high definition (cos I guess you don't know what HD means)

@Topic, No they don't. That's why mercy Johnson and tonto are more popular than omoni oboli and Nse Etim. But the latter are much richer ofcos
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by Glowealth: 12:57am On Jan 02, 2013
Some do!
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by toprealman: 1:04am On Jan 02, 2013
sholay2011: Over the years, there has been clamour for Nollywood to improve on her film production quality. But my worry is that a quick survey would tell you what many Nigerians think as a definition of a 'good' movie- a movie with clearly unbelievable special effects where bullets fly around amidst oppositions not minding if the plot is weak, character development is zero and directing and acting is at subpar.

That's why I was surprised when a friend of mine said 'Figurine' was trash. I was like seriously? He said he would rather sit down with 'Opa kan'.

I would advocate that Nollywood filmmakers should keep producing world-class movies which can compete at the oscars, though discussing social issues and showcasing our rich african culture but not coming down to satisfy the needs of some that can't differentiate acting from mimicry.

We have a similar case in the music industry where people would prefer to listen to Terry G than Asa! Or maybe I'm too particular about the whole concept of 'world-class'...maybe we enjoy the way we are.

You are generalising. Each to his own mate!
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by VillageBoi(m): 1:06am On Jan 02, 2013
coogar:

the figurine is a shyte movie
it was excellent for most parts but the final 15-20 mins left a bitter taste on my tongue. it's either mr afolayan is mentally challenged or he took his audience for fools. the way the story just went belly-up is nothing to write home about.

that said, there are several nigerian movies that make the cut. do nigerians really know good movies? it's a difficult question to answer - i would say far majority know what a good movie is but they are starved and they have had to adapt to the trash the iweka road boys produce on a weekly basis!

I completely agree with you on how ridiculously bad the last part of the movie was. It jumped from something 'magical' to 'na lie, we're just carving it from chewing-sticks in our backroom' - boy was I so disappointed.

Having said that, like the good filmmaker he is, he has actually grown. We hope to see more and more 'positive' growth in Nollywood. It's funny because this has happenend twice that I've seen - two different filmmakers

1) Kunle Afolayan - Figurine was bad. His next film Phone Swap simply amazing.
2) Obi Emelonye - Mirror Boy was bad, Last Flight To Abuja seriously good.

I'm sure the trend of growth will continue in Nollywood, we live in a great era for filmmaking.
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by EasyNaijacom: 1:30am On Jan 02, 2013
@OP, what do you mean by 'unbelievable special effects'? I've never seen the so called 'special effects' in Nollywood movies. The only effects i've seen are the ones that looked like they were created with corel draw and Ms word.

If Nollwood movie producers start creating movies using CGI, I reckon they would have a larger audience, but the way it seems, 99% of them never went to school (apparently).

I've seen videos on youtube made by 10 year old US kids using effects that look pretty real (cars blowing up and stuff).

I once watched a Nigerian movie. In one scene, some robbers stole Desmond Elliot's car and while driving away, they 'shot' him. I really don't know what happened there but what came out of the gun looked like a ball of onion. I had to rewind a few times and I could swear it was a glowing ball of onion. It was disgraceful. The entire movie looked like something that was pulled out of the teletubbies.

3 Likes

Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by lolaluv1(f): 2:55am On Jan 02, 2013
The argument seems to be veering towards whether or not Figurine was a good movie.

Well...I loved it. And a friend (who doesn't see our made-in-naija movies because she thinks they're a waste of time) loved it too. In fact, because of Figurine, she's willing to start paying local movies more attention.

Will be on the lookout for Phone Swap!
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by lolaluv1(f): 2:56am On Jan 02, 2013
EasyNaija.com:
@OP, what do you mean by 'unbelievable special effects'? I've never seen the so called 'special effects' in Nollywood movies. The only effects i've seen are the ones that looked like they were created with corel draw and Ms word.

If Nollwood movie producers start creating movies using CGI, I reckon they would have a larger audience, but the way it seems, 99% of them never went to school (apparently).

I've seen videos on youtube made by 10 year old US kids using effects that look pretty real (cars blowing up and stuff).

I once watched a Nigerian movie. In one scene, some robbers stole Desmond Elliot's car and while driving away, they 'shot' him. I really don't know what happened there but what came out of the gun looked like a ball of onion. I had to rewind a few times and I could swear it was a glowing ball of onion. It was disgraceful. The entire movie looked like something that was pulled out of the teletubbies.

grin grin grin cheesy embarassed cheesy
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by Goldenheart(m): 3:11am On Jan 02, 2013
I am going into movies; And am creating my own empire. ...... once i start; no one will remember whether Nollywood had existed.

I write good script..... i cant produce dat now; just waiting for the right season,

A whole new team of cast n crew. not fat greedy pigs we ve in nollywood.

I will give another name to "GoodMovies"

Thats not a dream; its whats going to happen.

right now am working on comics.... they said no comic in naija. we are taking over step by step.

Hencock inc.

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by HuJJC(m): 3:25am On Jan 02, 2013
aww.. we dont..lol
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by LarrySun(m): 3:25am On Jan 02, 2013
Good morning everybody,
I think thick plottings fall under the Nigerian home videos wanting lists. Few stories outta our movies are really deep. How many old Nigerian movies can still stand the test of time? I think not that they're up to ten.
I strongly believe we're getting close anyway, if some lousy script-writers take some little time to include some more intelligent spices into their works.
And, we shouldn't underemphasize the effects of subtitles, too. Some of them can make one puke as much as Vesuvius.
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by ogtavia(m): 3:28am On Jan 02, 2013
VillageBoi:
Thankfully, Mr Afolayan has so grown since then and his new film 'Phone Swap' is probably one of the best Nollywood films ever in terms of storytelling, production values and cross-over audience (I saw it at the British Film Institute and over half of the audience was caucasian and were laughing just as hard as we were). It is an amazing, amazing, must see, must own film!

honestly,for a long time i have been waiting for someone with this kind of honest opinion about figurine,truth be said,the movie is a good one(btw who am i to judge a good or a bad movie) but to be candid, the storyline got out of line at some point as the movie progressed and after the movie,i kept asking myself the point the movie had made.

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by NEROSKY(m): 3:34am On Jan 02, 2013
sholay2011: OMG! My thread got to the FP! This is a new year gift for me! I am very grateful for this, mods. I also thank my parents who have been in support of my nairaland endeavours, through thick and thin; God bless.

My friends who have always encouraged to keep creating topics- both meaningful and the less meaningful ones that with the hope of one getting to front page one day.

Finally, I thank my darling who whispered to me that 2013 is my year of excellence. It's nice that the excellence starts from here.
Omg!!! smh!!! What's the big deal here "kindly walk into any zenith bank and collect Your money for making Front page" Rawbish sad

On the subject matter; Any Nigerian film other than Comedy film (i.e Film acted by Mr.ibu ,Nkem Owoh , Charles a, Dede One day and 2 other funny guys) Men am not watching..Reasons; they can use 3 weeks to make up a film,which makes it poo,infact Nigerian home videos are not deserved tobe watched.......

Still Rewatching my dear DH [size=20pt]Desperate Housewifes[/size] teaching so much about life, esp marriage life, when is this odious country is gon grow up
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by DollyParton1(f): 3:42am On Jan 02, 2013
sholay2011:

That's why I was surprised when a friend of mine said 'Figurine' was trash. I was like seriously? He said he would rather sit down with 'Opa kan'.

Figurine was over-hyped, I waited 2 years to see this movie, everything was good but the ending. The ending was so weak that it messed up the whole movie. I love open-end movies, but there were so many holes in the story that doesn't support an open-end.
But for someone to rate opa-kan higher than figurine is the worst joke of the century. Opa-kan is one of those movies I hear people talking about and I try to see it, but never went past the first 10mins.
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by Nobody: 3:53am On Jan 02, 2013
Dolly-Parton:

Figurine was over-hyped, I waited 2 years to see this movie, everything was good but the ending. The ending was so weak that it messed up the whole movie. I love open-end movies, but there were so many holes in the story that doesn't support an open-end.

Precisely! The attempt to make it open ended really failed and weakened the movie. Only one scenario made sense at the end of the day.
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by Smhart1(f): 4:04am On Jan 02, 2013
Abeg...figurine no make am @ all
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by Ezyp(m): 5:09am On Jan 02, 2013
Why do nigerians keep comparin Asa with Terry G ?....they both do different genre of music...(one genre is for mad people the other is more of country side,inspirational genre)
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by calcal: 5:44am On Jan 02, 2013
"In California, prison workers and peace officers will now be prohibited from having sex with inmates and prisoners in transport"

so den dey hammer b/4!
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by vanstanzy(m): 5:53am On Jan 02, 2013
I 4 one havent watched figurin but beleive me, some Nigerians know a good movie when they see one like in the range of IGODO, great production, great acting, great plot. Those are rare to come by these days of rush, rush production in Nollywood.
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by xwolverine: 5:54am On Jan 02, 2013
VillageBoi:

I also saw the screen preview of phoneswap at the BFI, and as much as I agree with you on the cinematography (camera and audio), I felt a bit disaointed with the story.

So far so good, phone swap was a good movie, but it didn't meet Up with my valuation of what a great movie should be, the story line was a bit lightweight and lacks depth and insight. I felt much emphasis was place on the video quality while the story was a bit shallow. The film looked promising at the begining, with the office politics, the tailors shop and the general introduction of the characters. But I felt lost from the point where the phone was mixed Up at the airport, and the names of the assistants being the same. for me it doesn't look real. I felt the plot and scene could have been enacted differently. Having said that, I feel phone swap is a step in the right direction, but improving the general storyline would be perfect.

I've not seen the figurine so I can not really comment on it.
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by Nobody: 6:15am On Jan 02, 2013
Do we really have choice,when our psyche has been bastardized by the Alaba marketers. It has become worrisome that we only look out for casts,forgetting the plot,quality,and other makeup of a good movie.
At times,it shames me when some Nigeria movies are aired on Africa Magic,because of the low quality camera shot,and poor storyline. Little wonder,why Pay TVs are gaining ground in Nigeria.
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by ignis: 6:40am On Jan 02, 2013
One man's food is another man's poison, what is good for Ɣõµ might be bad †̥ ♍ƺ Απϑ vice versa.
Every body must not like what Ɣõµ like.
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by TonySpike: 6:53am On Jan 02, 2013
What is a good movie? I'd like to take us through these points for easy understanding:

(1) SCRIPTING: Depending on the objective of the movie, whether comical, adventures, romance, sci-fi and biographical, a script must be good. A good script is illustrating, exciting, logical, captivating, analytical and realistic. Most Nollywood movies lack these qualities.

(2) ORIGINALITY: This is a very important factor. Infact, majority of Nigerian movies lack originality. They steal ideas from just anywhere, whether good or bad, without considering the end thereof. Copying ideas isn't bad in itself, but copying without common-sense and logic is simply being intellectually lazy. AVATAR, one of the most successful Hollywood movies was said to have incorporated stolen ideas from at least three movies. Originality means repackaging, exploration and innovation.

(3)CINEMATOGRAPHY: A good movie can impress with stunning cinema shots. We can use examples of how MATRIX and LORD OF THE RINGS revolutionalised the cinematography industry. A good camera direction tells us better stories than the thousand words uttered by the actors/actresses. A standard movie with good cinematography can tell us the movie story successfully even if the voices are muted. This particular area is very lacking in Nigerian movies. But for very few directors like Tunde Kelani (a trained cinematographer himself), Naija is nowhere in the league of its foreign counterpart. Poor camera direction and lighting effects, handled by amateur cameramen are very popular in our movies. This particular reason, coupled with, lack of originality make me dislike Nollywood movie.

(4)REALISTIC LOCATIONS: This is a very big problem in Nigeria. Because we aren't ready to invest in serious movie production, everything goes cheap. Wrong locations, poor settings ruin a lot of our movies. I won't go into this location problem too much because it very glaring. Use of wrong costumes also go hand-in-hand with wrong locations.

There are other reasons, but I feel the above ones are much more important than others.

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by toluxe0075: 7:00am On Jan 02, 2013
Ok,ok, can someone give me examples of a good movie.. why is everyone commenting on figurine alone? I guess that is the only good movie produced in nigeria
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by chuglothen(f): 7:02am On Jan 02, 2013
Figurine was good at d start but lost me towards d end. Ramsey noah and omoni oboli were said to b dead. Then later woke up wen d film was ending....i jst dnt get it. He bleeped up wt d storyline. But picture quality was good
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by mamagee3(f): 7:11am On Jan 02, 2013
Some Nigerian movies are good but most of them are trash. . .

Nollywood can boast of a handful of good movies and a load of crappy ones

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Waaaaaay Over Hyped Movies / Link To Download "Now You See Me 2" / Nollywood Movies Africa Magic Should Stop Screening

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.