Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,526 members, 7,819,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:41 AM

Can You Allow Your Child To Live With Another Person? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can You Allow Your Child To Live With Another Person? (7574 Views)

How To Live With a contentious woman / Is It By Force To Take Your Child To Santa? (Photo) / Will You Allow Your Wife Use intimacy gadgets When You Are Away? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can You Allow Your Child To Live With Another Person? by Hanihairy(m): 6:31pm On Jan 02, 2013
Hmm....na wa oh. One day sumone wil wake up n wil want 2 knw if he can really ease himself wifout first undressing n d first place 2 air such a topic wil b on nairaland.....were are the good old days
Re: Can You Allow Your Child To Live With Another Person? by Nobody: 6:37pm On Jan 02, 2013
grin
Re: Can You Allow Your Child To Live With Another Person? by Felixjude(m): 6:38pm On Jan 02, 2013
From my experience with living with people,i will say a capital NO....u see,its not how they treat you,it doesnt mater if they love or maltreat you.
True,what i am today is simply because i left my parents to live with an uncle @ a tender age,the benefits are numerous,sumone talked abt bieng independent,u also learn alot about life and u acquire alot of wisdom,but wait,the psychological/emotional devastation puts u in a tight corner.u are never free to do/air ur opinion abt stuffs and tend to b cautious all the time.missing out on family/parental luv could affect one throughout a life time.
So while there are benefits of living with sumone else other than your parents,the disadvantages are quite devastating.every child has the right to be shown luv to,especialy while growing up,that i never had......
Re: Can You Allow Your Child To Live With Another Person? by movmentish(m): 7:27pm On Jan 02, 2013
Over my dead body
Re: Can You Allow Your Child To Live With Another Person? by ajailer(m): 8:36pm On Jan 02, 2013
Its a bog NO NO for me....the human heart is desperatately wicked o,u just wanna expose ur dear baby to a harsh world at an age too early for d baby to be able to handle all dat comes wid it...talk bout relatives from d other side of ur sis's spouce tryn to make her feel unwelcomed in ur sis's house....am a perfect exampla,my mum's elder sis did dis same thing to my mum....wen i was under 2yrs old she started pestern my mum for me of which she eventually agreed to let me stayn wid them.....it was there dat i had a very fatal accident that almost cost me my life,now av gat scars all over my chest n hand n dis accident happened wen i was not even 3yrs....my maternal grand pa told my mum to take me back but she just refused thinking dat shebi na her sister i was stayn wid.......to cut a long story short,am still tryn to get my life back on track...........talk about maltreatment,lack of care,no sense of identity cos those who r really interested in u becomn somebody in life u did not grow up around them.....abeg just leave her jor cos dis ur friend might even go to d extent of telln dis her elder sis wat u've been telln her.......experience is d best teacher is d bitter truth
Re: Can You Allow Your Child To Live With Another Person? by funmeme(f): 8:39pm On Jan 02, 2013
Its a NO! NO! NO! For me...

I stayed with my Aunty while growing up and I went through hell[sub][/sub]

I was made to do all the work within n outside the house, though I'm better for it today cos there's notin I can't do.

Several beatings nko, for mundane things.. I went tru hell but neve had d guts to tell my mom anytime she visits cos I was scared I could be killed through beating after she's gone. Thank God for my dad dat rescued me wen I eventually summoned d courage to tell him wen I visited dem on holliday at age 16

I made up my mind from little dat I'll never allow my child stay wit anyone no matter d situation. I can allow he\she 2 go on holliday o but stay permanent? Never..
Re: Can You Allow Your Child To Live With Another Person? by project8(m): 8:44pm On Jan 02, 2013
greatgod2012: Happy New Year to all and sundry.
Yesterday, a friend of mine came to celebrate new year with me. Along the line, while gisting, she told me about how her aunty has been begging her to allow one of her children to live with her and that she has decided to grant her aunty's request. All my explaination on the dangers involved fell to her deaf hears, saying, i was only being selfish and overprotective. But to me o , if im still alive, i dont think i can leave any of my children to live with either a relative or a friend. So, whats your take on this, am i truly selfish and over-protective? What are d dangers or benefits involved?
Expecting your mature responses. Thanks.
.not in this life.one of the major problem is the child may grow without parental love which is very important for the kid to know wat love rili means,almajiri frm the north is an example.anoda disadvantage is,no matter who weda ur immediate sis or bros no one cn treat ur child the way u want.so my answer is HELL NO
Re: Can You Allow Your Child To Live With Another Person? by ajailer(m): 9:45pm On Jan 02, 2013
Hanihairy: Hmm....na wa oh. One day sumone wil wake up n wil want 2 knw if he can really ease himself wifout first undressing n d first place 2 air such a topic wil b on nairaland.....were are the good old days

On d contrary dis is a very mature n serious issue
Re: Can You Allow Your Child To Live With Another Person? by Nobody: 9:54pm On Jan 02, 2013
Awa niyen, i dont believe in it, and ofcourse Islam forbids it,but Africans do it,so trust no one.
jidegirl12: @uplawal grin grin e pele nibe yen ..... destiny you said eh?..... Now that is a serious matter o grin you believe in all that? but what do I know?..... It's human we are talking about here lipsrsealed
Re: Can You Allow Your Child To Live With Another Person? by busybee24: 6:07am On Jan 03, 2013
ojuikwu: IGBO CAN DO IT BCUZ OF Money.well THIER BUNCH OF SLAVE IN NIGERIA.i MAGINE YORUBA WILL START PRODUCING Oil.added 2 OUR FINE STATE. Lagos.igbo are borntroway.see them run up and down inside sun.but the money then no get.well make then go back 2 thier ojukwu that starve them.thnks 4 ur corpporation. Welcome

Go get an education and learn to speak to things that are pertinent to the conversation at hand.
Re: Can You Allow Your Child To Live With Another Person? by greatgod2012(f): 8:51am On Jan 03, 2013
Hanihairy: Hmm....na wa oh. One day sumone wil wake up n wil want 2 knw if he can really ease himself wifout first undressing n d first place 2 air such a topic wil b on nairaland.....were are the good old days

hhhhmmmm, and you think this is not a good debatable topic...... I doubt if you can identify any good topic on this forum.......smh.......
Re: Can You Allow Your Child To Live With Another Person? by EfemenaXY: 9:18am On Jan 03, 2013
No.

I can't and won't ever consider it.

Wherever I go, they come along with me...until the time comes for them to fly the nest. Till then, that nest is home with mum & dad... smiley
Re: Can You Allow Your Child To Live With Another Person? by CrazyMan(m): 9:57am On Jan 03, 2013
movmentish: Over my dead body
So you're a corpse...
Re: Can You Allow Your Child To Live With Another Person? by Nobody: 10:02am On Jan 03, 2013
ajailer: i had a very fatal accident that almost cost me my life

Sounds like you had a real rough time, thank God you survived, and have recovered well.

Though a Fatal accident means death, which isn't the case here; if it were really fatal, it wouldn't be you telling your story here bro, it'll be someone else. smiley
Re: Can You Allow Your Child To Live With Another Person? by bjcole(m): 2:39pm On Jan 03, 2013
Living permanently with a relative may not be the best of idea but some parents dont ve enough time for their kids @ all, its work work work, whereas the kids will even turnout better living with an aunty. @Op, ur friend knows the situation better, even though a 6yrs old is so young to live wit relatives but 4 her 2 ve made up her mind, i guess she knws what she is doing. 4 me, whenever i m not there, my wife is there 2 take care f my kids, so i dnt ve any reason 2 give them out.
Re: Can You Allow Your Child To Live With Another Person? by victorian(f): 8:58pm On Jan 03, 2013
NO WAY.....!
Re: Can You Allow Your Child To Live With Another Person? by Nobody: 1:16am On Jan 05, 2013
No child of mine will live permanently under another person's roof,atleast,not while am living.Visit maybe,living?NEVER!
Re: Can You Allow Your Child To Live With Another Person? by Nobody: 1:47am On Jan 05, 2013
byvan: No child of mine will live permanently under another person's roof,atleast,not while am living.Visit maybe,living?NEVER!

I absolutely agree.
BTW, how u dey? smiley
Re: Can You Allow Your Child To Live With Another Person? by Sagamite(m): 12:30am On Jan 06, 2013
If I have a son that is a good footballer at 10 years old and then Liverpool FC wants him to come and join their academy but I have a top job in London, so I can't just up-root myself. But my close cousin lives in Liverpool 30 minutes walk away from the Liverpool grounds, would I say "Nah, my kid can NEVER live with anyone so he cannot go" or decide to uproot my life and diminish my income for just one child's hopes?

If I have a child that is the first born and is about 8 years older than the his/her siblings (who are between the ages of 3 and 8 ), hence not in his/her peer play group, and this child is very close to my millionaire brother's sons/daughters who are around her age. (S)he prefers to hang with them and they want him/her to hang with them, and there is a top school in their neighbourhood they can all attend together where (s)he can come home on holidays or even come home some weekends. Would I completely rule out that opportunity for him/her to have a fun youth which is actually her preference and my brother would treat him/her like his own?

If I live and work in London and I have a child who is entering puberty. Despite my best efforts, this child is now exhibiting many of the Western values I abhor like (i) speaking back to, shouting at and insulting your parents, (ii) thinking it is some kind of dictatorial, old fashioned and crazy parenting for me not to allow him/her to spend the night in the same bedroom with his/her boy/girlfriend, (iii) keeping friends that are moronic gangsters wannabees and could be stabbed any moment (iv) calling social services on you for daring to say shyt to them about their bad behaviours or for ignoring your order to stay home (v) not serious with education and prefers to speak like a hoodrat (vi) having some silly liberal and "progressive" views etc all due purely to the Western environment that overwhelmingly tells them they must have a mind of their own and their parents are usually wrong. If I have a brother who is well-off and living in Nigeria with the kind of family I like (which is enabled by the Nigerian environment), would I say I would not send the kid to Nigeria during his formation years and hopefully have a different view of life and become a better child? I would hold on to the child and let the wayward Western environment destroy his/her life?

Hell NO!
Re: Can You Allow Your Child To Live With Another Person? by Nobody: 1:00am On Jan 06, 2013
In other words Sagamite .... You will only allow your kid to live with a well to do (millionaires) relatives AND you'd rather let your kid live with a well to do relatives than to move from your bread and butter island? That's all?
Re: Can You Allow Your Child To Live With Another Person? by Sagamite(m): 1:32am On Jan 06, 2013
jidegirl12: In other words Sagamite .... You will only allow your kid to live with a well to do (millionaires) relatives AND you'd rather let your kid live with a well to do relatives than to move from your bread and butter island? That's all?

I didn't use millioniare in all 3 scenarios, not even in 2.

Finance is a very important factor when doing such. You would not want to send you kid to people who would be financially burdened with the child's presence. Neither would you want the awkwardness of sending them money.

So I would not prefer my child live with millionaires than with me but if they are to live with others, finance is an important consideration.

I am a rational human being that does not do things senselessly because of what I think other people would say or because it does not conform with some hollywood scenario. I would think about an issue and do what gives the best long-term benefit and balances interests. So I would not leave my chicken and chips island or my Peckham Rye Suya spots just because of one kid and because I feel it shows the world "I love my kids more than you love your kid". That desperation in the UK to show "I love my kid", I have seen a lot of times leading to parents making decisions that are only of ephemeral benefits. Just like Disney distorts the thinking of Westerners about animals, is the way Hollywood destroys the thinking of most about parenting. I think things through and don't engage in such.

I am a different kind of human being. Always ready to damn the herd mentality or popular culture because I am capable of independent superb thinking.

https://www.nairaland.com/1083598/knowing-nairalanders-better-interviews/1#12945175

High ‘Internal Locus of Control’ - hence the immense self-confidence and lack of fear in being different/not conforming/not having herd mentality (I normally stand out mentally because of my originality). I am not a follow-follow person; I am not susceptible to peer pressure. That is why I do not do things like religion, abuse my body, attempt to give funky/patronising arguments so people call me progressive/real man, living ostentatiously to show I have 'arrived', respect the dead because they are dead even though they were evil when alive or follow rules just because they are rules. I evaluate all propositions put forth to me and filter it on their merit using my superior intellect. This locus also makes me incredibly chilled and confident when under pressure. I am a perfect crisis manager.
Re: Can You Allow Your Child To Live With Another Person? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Jan 06, 2013
CFCfan:

I absolutely agree.
BTW, how u dey? smiley

Am good,thanks for asking.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Husband Doesn’t Love Me / How Effective Is Withdrawal Method In Family Planning? / How Do I Make Twins?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.