Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,817 members, 7,810,138 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:31 PM

Non-alcoholic Beer For Muslims, Is It Haram? - Islam for Muslims (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Non-alcoholic Beer For Muslims, Is It Haram? (32587 Views)

Muslims, Is This True? / For Muslims: Is Bid'ah (innovation) The Reason Why Islamic Societies Lag Behind. / Muslims. Is It Possible To Have Feelings For Someone U Cant Marry Due To Religious Orientation? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Non-alcoholic Beer For Muslims, Is It Haram? by mu2sa2: 11:44am On Jan 03, 2013
There's controversy over whether non-alcoholic beers are actually 100% alcohol-free. Some experts say that non-alcoholic beer actually contains a little amount of alcohol. The prophet has admonished that "leave what you are in doubt for what you are not in doubt". Since non-alcoholic beer is controversial concerning its alcoholic content, its advisable to avoid it altogether - afterall beer, whether tagged non-alcoholic or not, is not food that you cant do without.

2 Likes

Re: Non-alcoholic Beer For Muslims, Is It Haram? by maclatunji: 11:46am On Jan 03, 2013
BlueMurder:

What are you lolling about? He's right: according to Encarta Dictionary, "beer is an alcoholic drink brewed by fermenting malt with sugar and yeast...."

I can't laugh again? Would you prefer that I cry?
Re: Non-alcoholic Beer For Muslims, Is It Haram? by maclatunji: 11:47am On Jan 03, 2013
mu2sa2: There's controversy over whether non-alcoholic beers are actually 100% alcohol-free. Some experts say that non-alcoholic beer actually contains a little amount of alcohol. The prophet has admonished that "leave what you are in doubt for what you are not in doubt". Since non-alcoholic is controversial concerning its alcoholic content, its advisable to avoid it altogether - afterall beer, whether tagged non-alcoholic or not, is not food that you cant do without.

This is the best thing.
Re: Non-alcoholic Beer For Muslims, Is It Haram? by mu2sa2: 11:53am On Jan 03, 2013
Okija_juju: Most cough and cold medicines are intoxicating, does that make them HAram in Islam?!

They are not haram as long as you take the medicine for its curative effect. But if you take anything, including those medicines, with the intention to get intoxicated it becomes haram (even if it's ordinary water)-putting yourself in a state of intoxication via any means is haram.
Re: Non-alcoholic Beer For Muslims, Is It Haram? by BlueMurder(m): 12:33pm On Jan 03, 2013
mu2sa2: They are not haram as long as you take the medicine for its curative effect. But if you take anything, including those medicines, with the intention to get intoxicated it becomes haram (even if it's ordinary water)-putting yourself in a state of intoxication via any means is haram.

That's not entirely true. Please check below:

Medicine Containing Alcohol: Ok for a Muslim?
Question and answer details
Name of Questioner: Zubeda
Reply date: 2012/05/14
Question: As-salamu `alaykum. I have been taking medicine with alcohol content called Benylin. Is it halal or haram to take it and also about perfume and beauty products containing alcohol?
Mufti: Hatem Al-Hajj
Answer

Wa `alaykum as-salamu wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear sister, thank you for trusting us. We really appreciate your question as it shows your strong faith and great fear from Allah Almighty.

It is the duty of every Muslim to observe all what he or she eats, drinks, or even takes as medicine. It is our creed, as Muslims, that both illness and recovery are from Allah Almighty. However, we are ordered by our Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) to take medications, but not to seek cure in unlawful (haram) substance.

Responding to your question, Dr. Hatem Al-Hajj, Dean of Shari`ah Academy of America, and who is also a professional physician, stated,

Seeking treatment is recommended, and may be at times mandatory. However, one should seek wholesome medicines.

[b]It was narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “Allah sent down the disease and the cure, and He made a cure for every disease. So seek treatment, but do not use as medicine that which is haram.” (Abu Dawuud from Abu al-Darda’)

The prohibition of using unlawful (haram) substances as medicine applies primarily to Alcohol.

Tariq ibn Suwayd al-Ju‘fi (may Allah be pleased him) asked the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) about wine and he forbade him or disliked his making it. He said: I only make it as a medicine. He (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “It is not a medicine; rather it is a disease.” (Muslim)

Also, every intoxicant is forbidden. The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “Every intoxicant is haram.” (Al-Bukhari and Muslim from Abu Musa)

Based on the above and other proofs, there is a consensus about the prohibition of using pure khamr (wine) as medicine. The scholars also agreed on the impermissibility of using haram as medicine in presence of halal alternatives.
[/b]
The Hanafis allowed the use of forbidden and filthy matters in treatment with the condition that: it is known to be a cure and there is no alternative.

If alcohol was utilized in the preparation, but the final medicine is not intoxicant, this medicine will be halal to use according to: Both Fiqh Assemblies belonging to the OIC and MWL, the Permanent Committee for Fatwa and Research in KSA, and the European Council for Ifta’ and Research.

Shaykh-ul-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allah have mercy on him) said, "If alcohol falls into water and is altered, then someone drinks it, he would not be drinking khamr and the hadd (penalty) shall not be warranted for him, since nothing of its taste, color or smell remained."

Benylin has 5% alcohol, which is a high percentage, therefore it should be avoided.

As for the external use of alcohol, it is controversial, and I believe that alcohol is not physically impure, and that it may be used for topical applications to the body. The one clear report about its physical filth is from `Umar in a message he wrote to Khalid ibn al-Walid, however, the whole report is not authentic.

Sheikh Yusuf Al-Qaradawi (may Allah preserve him) said: “… even saying liquor is impure or filthy is not granted by all scholars. Some jurists of the Salaf questioned that matter, saying liquor's impurity is rather abstract... This is an opinion of weight, ascribed by Qurtubi to Rabi`a …, Al-Layth ibn Sa`ad, Al-Muzani and some other imams of later periods in Baghdad and N. Africa … In his book Al-Sayl Al-Jarrar, Imam Al-Shawkani said: “There is no genuine or dependable evidence that liquor is impure”.

It says in a statement of the Islamic Fiqh Council of the Muslim World League: “… It is also permissible to use alcohol for external cleaning of wounds, to kill germs, and in creams and lotions that are used externally.”

In summary, it is incumbent upon the Muslim physician and pharmacist to use alternatives of alcohol whenever possible. As for the patients, they may use medications in which alcohol was utilized in the preparation, as long as the medicine is not intoxicant, and it doesn’t have alternatives.

A medicine will be considered khamr (intoxicant) if it causes intoxication before death, but if it causes intoxication at a dose (amount) that is not possible to be consumed by a human being without killing him, then it is not intoxicant.

Avoiding it when there is no need is an act of cautious piety. Muslims, when capable, should work on finding alternatives to it. Benylin, however, has 5% alcohol, which is a high percentage, therefore it should be avoided. There are many other alternatives with much less alcohol content.

Allah Almighty knows best.

http://www.onislam.net/english/ask-the-scholar/food-and-slaughter/foods-and-drinks/457091-medicine-containing-alcohol-halal.html?Drinks=
Re: Non-alcoholic Beer For Muslims, Is It Haram? by Smooyis(m): 12:41pm On Jan 03, 2013
Enough of bloodshed this new year. Boko Haram Boko! Meaning boko haram is prohibited.
Re: Non-alcoholic Beer For Muslims, Is It Haram? by PalmTree(m): 12:43pm On Jan 03, 2013
How come the sales of beer and other aloholic brands drop drastically during the RAMADAN? I have a relative that works with the Nigerian Breweries sales force so I'm kinda sure of the stats.The point is that every moslem here has posted a NO against alcohol consumption, but the truth is that moslems are the largest consumers of alcohol(in naija) HOWEVER DURING THE RAMADAN, they go super holy hence the sales of alcohol drops only to reach an alarming peak after 30 days. If you dont believe my claim, just ask around your neighborhood,any cool spot or beer distributor perhaps. Don't get me wrong, NOT ONLY MOSLEMS drink and NOT ALL MOSLEMS drink.
Re: Non-alcoholic Beer For Muslims, Is It Haram? by BlueMurder(m): 12:48pm On Jan 03, 2013
PalmTree: How come the sales of beer and other aloholic brands drop drastically during the RAMADAN? I have a relative that works with the Nigerian Breweries sales force so I'm kinda sure of the stats.The point is that every moslem here has posted a NO against alcohol consumption, but the truth is that moslems are the largest consumers of alcohol(in naija) HOWEVER DURING THE RAMADAN, they go super holy hence the sales of alcohol drops only to reach an alarming peak after 30 days. If you dont believe my claim, just ask around your neighborhood,any cool spot or beer distributor perhaps. Don't get me wrong, NOT ONLY MOSLEMS drink and NOT ALL MOSLEMS drink.

All i see here are conjectures without valid proof. In any case, we are stating the Islamic position here; the extent to which Muslims abide by the regulations is another issue altogether.
Re: Non-alcoholic Beer For Muslims, Is It Haram? by fapcrook(m): 1:18pm On Jan 03, 2013
Okija_juju: Most cough and cold medicines are intoxicating, does that make them HAram in Islam?!

All these are for medical purposes and u can include injection that makes one sleep during a medical operation. Allah knows best
Re: Non-alcoholic Beer For Muslims, Is It Haram? by Sunymoore(m): 2:18pm On Jan 03, 2013
ola_pluto:

I strongly disagree with both of you sirs.
1. There are non-alcoholic wines with 0.0% alcohol in it. There are also beers with 0.0% alcohol. Maltina is a type of beer. For a list of non alcoholic beers and wine on sale, check this website: http://alcoholfree.co.uk/.
2. Oga Sunnymoore, am sorry you have no jurisdiction to speak for Islam.
ogami understand me well, my answers are based on logic, How can someone take beer without been drunk and intoxicated as well, its not possible. If u could remerber before drinking beer was banned in islam, it took many strategis, not direct, thats what i was applying here but logically
Re: Non-alcoholic Beer For Muslims, Is It Haram? by Malubi(m): 2:35pm On Jan 03, 2013
What is the meaning of the word "beer"?
Re: Non-alcoholic Beer For Muslims, Is It Haram? by Okijajuju1(m): 3:10pm On Jan 03, 2013
mu2sa2: They are not haram as long as you take the medicine for its curative effect. But if you take anything, including those medicines, with the intention to get intoxicated it becomes haram (even if it's ordinary water)-putting yourself in a state of intoxication via any means is haram.

So if I drink beer (alcoholic) but dont get high or drunk, its okay... That is, I take beer for its refreshment purposes/effects not for its intoxication then its okay according to Islam.

Is that right?!
Re: Non-alcoholic Beer For Muslims, Is It Haram? by abdulkayus(m): 3:17pm On Jan 03, 2013
Okija_juju:

So if I drink beer (alcoholic) but dont get high or drunk, its okay... That is, I take beer for its refreshment purposes/effects not for its intoxication then its okay according to Islam.

Is that right?!

nope
Re: Non-alcoholic Beer For Muslims, Is It Haram? by BlueMurder(m): 3:52pm On Jan 03, 2013
Okija_juju:

Is that right?!

The Islamic position is that whatever will get you intoxicated eventually is forbidden to be consumed even in minute quantities.
Re: Non-alcoholic Beer For Muslims, Is It Haram? by smakati(m): 4:25pm On Jan 03, 2013
What's d difference btw malt drinks (himalt, amstel malta) and d non alcoholic beer drink u re saying...........d process of making malt is similar to that of making beer, d only difference is beer has alcohol while malt contains no alcohol.........so malt drink is a 'non alcoholic beer'..........I used to drink beer before den I joined a church dat prohibits its members frm drinking alcohol, so I migrated to drinking guiness malt cos it kinda taste like a light beer.
Re: Non-alcoholic Beer For Muslims, Is It Haram? by mu2sa2: 5:29pm On Jan 03, 2013
Okija_juju:

Is that right?!
Beer and all other intoxicants used as such are haram in islam. It is still haram no matter the quatity taken. The alcohol in beer and other liquor is meant to intoxicate; by contrast, alcohol in medicines is solely for pharmaceutical purposes hence the difference in the ruling concerning the two.
Re: Non-alcoholic Beer For Muslims, Is It Haram? by olapluto(m): 6:51pm On Jan 03, 2013
Like I pointed out earlier, and someone is pointing out again. Maltina, Malta guiness, etc are all BEERS!!! They are however non-alcoholic. So is Maltina haram?
Re: Non-alcoholic Beer For Muslims, Is It Haram? by pat077: 7:30pm On Jan 03, 2013

i wonder!
Re: Non-alcoholic Beer For Muslims, Is It Haram? by mustafar1: 7:34pm On Jan 03, 2013
maclatunji:

No sir. Fayrouz is a premium soft drink not a beer.

im not saying otherwise. my point is, it is made with the same core ingredient as bavaria 0% beer. even zobo can be made into beer if u add sugar, yeast and allow it to ferment.
Re: Non-alcoholic Beer For Muslims, Is It Haram? by aribisala0(m): 12:58pm On Jan 04, 2013
In large amounts water intoxicates too

= water intoxication
Re: Non-alcoholic Beer For Muslims, Is It Haram? by eaglechild: 10:55am On Jan 05, 2013
ola_pluto: Like I pointed out earlier, and someone is pointing out again. Maltina, Malta guiness, etc are all BEERS!!! They are however non-alcoholic. So is Maltina haram?
Malt drinks are not beers.
They are non alcoholic brews.
The term non alcoholic beer is a misnomer.
Beer by definition is alcoholic just like wine.
Re: Non-alcoholic Beer For Muslims, Is It Haram? by Sike(m): 8:48pm On Jul 12, 2013
Following.....
Re: Non-alcoholic Beer For Muslims, Is It Haram? by teemlo: 6:33am On Jul 14, 2013
Is coffee haram too?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

When Someone Insults Islam: How To Behave / Sheik Dahiru Bauchi Defies Sultan, Holds Eid On Wednesday / Muslim Inventions That Shaped The Modern World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.