Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,814 members, 7,824,383 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 09:15 AM

Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance (16448 Views)

Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance Exam / Admission At Federal School Of Dental Technology And Therapy Enugu State / Nursing School Entrance Examination: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by aribisala0(m): 12:16pm On Jan 03, 2013
confusion247:
Simple because states in IGBO land was mentioned you are sweating and pouring out your venoms of sentiments on igbos.
My question for you is ....do you reward your child that is lazy with lion share of food? You want to please a child from kano at the expense of the one from IMO? Is that justice? Is that fair play? I wonder how and what makes you think that you can build a nation with injustice? This is not about the igbos, rather is about justice and equality for all. The quota have not helped the northerners rather it have made them to be lazy knowing too well that they will still get it without putting any effort.
My guy I have not addressed any remarks to anyone personally on this thread. If your mother is sweating or your father full of venom take them to a veterinary doctor. Stay away from me.I no not engage 1diots and will not discuss this with you. You are not intelligent.
Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by confusion247(m): 12:17pm On Jan 03, 2013
logica: I think you left Ironsi, Ojukwu, Nzeogwu, Ifeajuna, etc out.
The only person I left out is Ironsi. Ojukwu and the rest wanted to correct the worst mistake ever made in the history of mankind. I mean the mistake of lord lugard. Until we sit down and re-negotiate this fake marriage, we will continue to complain.
Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by free13: 12:18pm On Jan 03, 2013
[/quote]To quarrel with the FG on this point is like quarreling with the Catholic church when they insist pupils in their schools must be Catholics and they refuse admission to a "high scoring" Muslim.[quote]

@Poster.
Are you a muslim? undecided
Why are you trying to be cheeky, with the above statement.
I do know of a certain Alhaja Mai Deribe in maiduguri in the 1990s, whose hospital will only treat Muslims and they refuse treatment to "very ill" christians.

1 Like

Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by pak: 12:18pm On Jan 03, 2013
free13: To quarrel with the FG on this point is like quarreling with the Catholic church when they insist pupils in their schools must be Catholics and they refuse admission to a "high scoring" Muslim.

@Poster.
I do know of a certain Alhaja Mai Deribe in maiduguri in the 1990s, whose hospital will only treat Muslims and they refuse treatment to "very ill" christians.

Please let's leave the religious sentiments out of these. I am a Christian but I believe Aribisala's view points about the main topic are clear and not ambiguous and very valid
Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by aribisala0(m): 12:20pm On Jan 03, 2013
free13: To quarrel with the FG on this point is like quarreling with the Catholic church when they insist pupils in their schools must be Catholics and they refuse admission to a "high scoring" Muslim.

@Poster.
Am I a muslim?? Is that relevant.What is the logic of your question.? What is the relevance of Alhaji Deribe or any other Alhaji to our discussion?
Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by eaglechild: 12:22pm On Jan 03, 2013
Aafulenu:

naa the total was 600 not four hundred cos i can remember i scored 570 and i was the best in my state then.
It used to be 400 then 600 and subsequently 620.
Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by confusion247(m): 12:23pm On Jan 03, 2013
aribisala0:
My guy I have not addressed any remarks to anyone personally on this thread. If your mother is sweating or your father full of venom take them to a veterinary doctor. Stay away from me.I no not engage 1diots and will not discuss this with you. You are not intelligent.
Too bad that you are seeing a national problem based on sentiments. You forgot that you mentioned achebe's reasoning. Continue to live a life based on sentiments and expect the country to grow. As for your father and mother, I am sure you don't have any because if you do, you will have respect for them and in so doing you will respect other people's father and mother. As for your hatred for achebe, it is nothing.

2 Likes

Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by aribisala0(m): 12:25pm On Jan 03, 2013
confusion247: I am sure my mother will jump in front of a trailer and die soon
And Achebe is not a bigot? A champion of Igbo supremacy? Of the Idea that not having Igbos in all important positions = mediocrity?
Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by demmy(m): 12:28pm On Jan 03, 2013
confusion247:
Is it the fault of southerners that northerners refused going to school? Is it proper to sacrifice someone's excellence just because you want to favor a lazy child? Please call evil evil and call injustice injustice. The setting of one Nigeria has a lot of injustice.

Stop the garbage. Whose excellence is sacrificed? All qualified southern candidates are admitted, even in the North most Federal Universities are fill with southerners. You can't complain of almajiris on one hand and whine when efforts are taken to encourage education of these same people. In many European countries with Roma/Gypsy population, the same low cut-off marks system is devised to help them get access to education otherwise they'll end up with large illiterate people in their midst.
Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by aribisala0(m): 12:29pm On Jan 03, 2013
People ignore the fact that

IT IS NOT THE FG'S JOB TO PROVIDE SECONDARY SCHOOL EDUCATION

If the FG is setting up secondary school we must then ask

WHAT IS THE PURPOSE ?

THEY ARE UNITY SCHOOLS

They cannot serve this purpose if only Southerners dominate
Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by mu2sa2: 12:31pm On Jan 03, 2013
Sunny_bobo: .

100 naira is even too much. In Yobe state where I did my NYSC, they were literally paid to attend school. Free school uniforms, free books as well as free meals.
Every state in nigeria can do this if education is given priority. As for cut-off marks which has generated so much furore, in the north the exams are conducted cleanly, without cheating and other wuruwuru prevalent in parts of the south.

1 Like

Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by free13: 12:37pm On Jan 03, 2013
pak:

Please let's leave the religious sentiments out of these. I am a Christian but I believe Aribisala's view points about the main topic are clear and not ambiguous and very valid

No i will not leave it out.
He was trying to be cheeky and silly, by making such subtle statements.
Does he know of any such case or cases, or was he trying to be smart?
He should have stayed on the topic or kept his mouth shut. You can't just make elusive insinuations that you know nothing about.
Like the saying goes, "If you can't stand the heat, then stay out of the kitchen"
Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by free13: 12:37pm On Jan 03, 2013
pak:

No i will not leave it out.
He was trying to be cheeky and silly, by making such subtle statements.
Does he know of any such case or cases, or was he trying to be smart?
He should have stayed on the topic or kept his mouth shut. You can't just make elusive insinuations that you know nothing about.
Like the saying goes, "If you can't stand the heat, then stay out of the kitchen".
Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by Nobody: 12:38pm On Jan 03, 2013
I paid 675naira as school fees in my js1. It was in ss3 i paid 1650naira.nai
pak:

Did my common entrance in the same year. Was in Pry 5 too. I think I scored 515 or so. I was the ninth best in my school. The two pry 5 pupil that beat me were both females. Is it really true that female kids are actually more brilliant than male children ?

any way, was given admission in FGC Jos but didn't go. I went to the FGC in my home state.

and by the way. Am surprised, yu said you paid 1,900 as school fee. In Js 1 I paid 400 and something, and it wasn't until js 2 before it was increased to N700. I never got to pay more than a thousand until my SSS years. I used to think the sch fees were uniform .

You brilliant gaan ni ! 570 upon 600 ! wow , great.

So what University did you finally attend and what course did you study ? Where you able to carry your brilliance over to JAMB or did JAMB show u who the 'almighty' is ?
Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by confusion247(m): 12:41pm On Jan 03, 2013
Sunny_bobo:

Can't they get an education in their various state schools? Anyway Unity schools were set up to foster national integration so all tribes need to be represented.
I wonder the type of national integration you are talking about. We have over a million igbos in kano alone, likewise yorubas. We have over a million igbos in lagos likewise hausas. We have over a million yorubas in PH and over two hundred thousand hausas too in PH. If all this didn't bring national integration and you think that a unity school with less than ten thousand pupils will do that is unbelievable. This is injustice and has nothing to do with national integration.

1 Like

Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by PROUDIGBO(m): 12:45pm On Jan 03, 2013
Black_Oyinbo: Even though this is unfair but it is in their best interest. Many Northerners do not like school, thus they should be encouraged by any means necessary. No wonder Boko Haram's primary target is education.

^^^Hehehehehe grin grin grin
Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by confusion247(m): 12:50pm On Jan 03, 2013
aribisala0:
And Achebe is not a bigot? A champion of Igbo supremacy? Of the Idea that not having Igbos in all important positions = mediocrity?
You have shown that it is impossible to separate your ego from sentiments. This thread is not about achebe and igbos. For your information, achebe have said the truth and that is the bottom line. Separate your ego from sentiments. You are evidence that Nigeria is not one.
Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by aribisala0(m): 12:52pm On Jan 03, 2013
The reason why there has to be a quota is simple and can be explained like this; The FG budget for allocation has to be dispensed equitably.In short it has to be SHARED just like an INHERITANCE. If the Fg had instead of building these schools said they would just give the monies to the different states then there would be a maximum that anyone state can get no matter how brilliant their pupils are. In our wisdom(or lack of it) as a country we decide to create these so-called unity schools for that pupose. If we feel that it is unfair we should scrap them and SHARE the money and we shall see who loses out.

IT IS NOT THE FG'S JOB TO BUILD SECONDARY SCHOOLS

Suggesting merit as the sole criteria is like saying Only the best should participate in the Naional Sports festival and if the top ten Weightlifters are from Lagos and Delta they should compete against each other. Or that countries that NEVER win medals should be excluded from the Olympics
Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by PROUDIGBO(m): 12:52pm On Jan 03, 2013
Tony Spike:

Una don start again for 2013...Afam stay tuned o

^^^I can hear Afam sharpening his 'banning' matchete! wink
Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by logica(m): 12:54pm On Jan 03, 2013
confusion247:
The only person I left out is Ironsi. Ojukwu and the rest wanted to correct the worst mistake ever made in the history of mankind. I mean the mistake of lord lugard. Until we sit down and re-negotiate this fake marriage, we will continue to complain.
You may be right about their intentions. But the reality is the end result was even a bigger mistake than Lord Luggard made in the first place: the Nigerian Civil War.
Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by Nobody: 12:56pm On Jan 03, 2013
Una don spoil this thread with ethnic and religious bigotry. Mtscheeew! angry

1 Like

Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by confusion247(m): 12:59pm On Jan 03, 2013
Ngwakwe:

For peace to reign, please delete Awolowo from your post.

I don't want confusion in this thread
But I confusion247 is already here. If I see reason(s) to do so I will.
Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by aribisala0(m): 1:00pm On Jan 03, 2013
confusion247:
You have shown that it is impossible to separate your ego from sentiments. This thread is not about achebe and igbos. For your information, achebe have said the truth and that is the bottom line. Separate your ego from sentiments. You are evidence that Nigeria is not one.

Ego from sentiments?

You are not a bright lad and have little of value to add to this discussion
. You ignore the obvious and substitute vitriol for argument.

Our constitutions HAVE ALL been clear that PRIMARY and SECONDARY education are the responsibilty of STATE governments.

If the FG gets involved in that it cannot be to the advantage of any single state.

Assuming Anambra has 10000 extra brilliant students that it cannot provide for in its schools that responsibility CANNOT transfer to the FG because they have set up UNITY schools.

The purpose of these schools is not to assume responsibility from the states.

If one grasps that fundamental notion then there is nothing to argue about
Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by free13: 1:01pm On Jan 03, 2013
aribisala0:
Am I a muslim?? Is that relevant.What is the logic of your question.? What is the relevance of Alhaji Deribe or any other Alhaji to our discussion?

Yes it is relevant. You should have stayed on topic and left your religious sentiment out of it. What is the relevance of your baseless statement?
Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by PROUDIGBO(m): 1:04pm On Jan 03, 2013
Akexstinger: Many of u are all complaining, the quota system has always been in existing in everything in nigeria as far as it concerns government...look at you, are people not complaining on the just concluded job recruitment for CBN which Kogi and abia n imo as the highest number recruited based on merit? They said it didn't reflect the federal character and thus, another recruitment had to be put on hold by the senate...whether u like it or not, the US uses federal character system upon how highly educated they are.. So the federal government who put up the system know why....how do u want others to feel assuming only ur family members got the job based on merit and the other cudnt because they are not as smart as ur family..the next line of action is for them to attack ur family...that's the more reason rich men can't sleep in a society where the majority of the people are poor...

^^^Your argument in bold is untenable; are you saying certain people/ethnicities are genetically predisposed to intelligence and others are not?; we all are equally blessed with the same level of intelligence....what makes the difference is environmental factors.

My point is that affirmative action is ok, but not forever; at some point, if the people you're trying to help just don't seem interested, then (in the interest of the wider country, and so they don't hold the country down) you have to call time on the whole experiment and let 'merit' take over.....that will make them realise sooner or later that they have to pull their socks up and start grafting hard like everyone else or they'd be seen as a liability and a dead weight.
Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by Nobody: 1:07pm On Jan 03, 2013
confusion247:
But I confusion247 is already here. If I see reason(s) to do so I will.
you don kolo i swear!grin
Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by confusion247(m): 1:09pm On Jan 03, 2013
Sunny_bobo:

Sorry mate. There's a significant population of Igbo people in Delta state. The Anioma area of Delta state has always been the area producing most intelligent and prominent people from Delta state like Ngozi Okonjo Iweala, Tony Elumelu, Phillip Asiodu, Dennis Osadebe, Chukwuma Nzeogwu, Austin Okocha,Sunday Oliseh, Stephen Keshi etc. while the other parts produce the likes of Ibori, Uduaghan, Cecilia Ibru and Tompolo. No offence meant bro, just hard facts.
There is no offense is saying the truth just like achebe did. To some they will accept it while some will sweat and pour out venoms on those who has the courage to say the truth without fear or favor.
Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by aribisala0(m): 1:09pm On Jan 03, 2013
free13:

Yes it is relevant. You should have stayed on topic and left your religious sentiment out of it. What is the relevance of your baseless statement?
My statement is Not baseless and its relevance is this; It is not the reposnsibilty of a religious body to provide secondary education in the states that is the responsibilty of the STATE GOVERNMENT. In fact ,a constitutional one. In that regard their involvment is voluntary and complimentary as only a tiny population can access such less than 0.01 %. THis is exactly the same in religious shools as the FG schools; it is neither their duty nor role to provide secondary education and the purpose of these schools is distinct and predetermined. They are not equal opportunity schools but have criteria that are fundamental to their existence at their very creation.

We knew from DAY ONE that FGCs are not based solely on merit and if we disagree with that the solution is to scrap them since secondary education is NOT FG's job
Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by aribisala0(m): 1:19pm On Jan 03, 2013
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^Your argument in bold is untenable; are you saying certain people/ethnicities are genetically predisposed to intelligence and others are not?; we all are equally blessed with the same level of intelligence....what makes the difference is environmental factors.

My point is that affirmative action is ok, but not forever; at some point, if the people you're trying to help just don't seem interested, then (in the interest of the wider country, and so they don't hold the country down) you have to call time on the whole experiment and let 'merit' take over.....that will make them realise sooner or later that they have to pull their socks up and start grafting hard like everyone else or they'd be seen as a liability and a dead weight.
Merit should prevail but secondary school education in not the FG's job constitutionally. So When merit prevails the schools should be scrapped.
But in other countries e.g the UK once there was something called an "Idiots and Imbeciles" Act and people with low IQ went to special schools excluded from other children now the thinking has gone round 360 degrees and they talk of "MAINSTREAMING" the idea being that All kids should study together even blind ,deaf etc pupils are being "MAINSTREAMED" these days.The other thing is these schools are a VERY TINY proportion and parents can send their kids elsewhere. Who is right? That is debatable but when things are done with public money we must consider everyone's interest. Academic excellence is NOT the ONLY PURPOSE of education for children. DIVERSITY TRAINING is important too especially in Nigeria. If we are talking of admission to specialized schools like the NDA or University maybe but at secondary school kids need to learn how to get on with people from various backgrounds. we should not be having schools for clever kids and schools for stupid kids at government expense

I do not see how the occurences at FGCs can hold the country down.Are FGCs the main stay of secondary education??
Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by confusion247(m): 1:21pm On Jan 03, 2013
aribisala0:

Ego from sentiments?

You are not a bright lad and have little of value to add to this discussion
. You ignore the obvious and substitute vitriol for argument.

Our constitutions HAVE ALL been clear that PRIMARY and SECONDARY education are the responsibilty of STATE governments.

If the FG gets involved in that it cannot be to the advantage of any single state.

Assuming Anambra has 10000 extra brilliant students that it cannot provide for in its schools that responsibility CANNOT transfer to the FG because they have set up UNITY schools.

The purpose of these schools is not to assume responsibility from the states.

If one grasps that fundamental notion then there is nothing to argue about
Too bad that you've missed the topic. You are now dangling from religious to tribe to see if you can see a safe landing point. Admission should be based on merit and not on quota.
Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by aribisala0(m): 1:24pm On Jan 03, 2013
confusion247:
Too bad that you've missed the topic. You are now dangling from religious to tribe to see if you can see a safe landing point. Admission should be based on merit and not on quota.
That is your view but that debate was had BEFORE the VERY FIRST FGC was established. The way forward is to debate it again and YOU are missing the point

IT IS NOT FG's JOB TO PROVIDE SECONDARY SCHOOL EDUCATION THEY ARE ONLY DOING IT BECAUSE OF QUOTA.THAT IS THE PURPOSE OF EXISTENCE OF THESE SCHOOLS.

The article is complaining that people no longer travel outside their region and that these schools are becoming "regional" rather than "national" which of course question their continued existence and fitness for purpose

We must represent all Nigerian groups in these schools and if that is no longer viable let us hand those schools to the state governments whose job it is too run secondary schools
Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by initiator(m): 1:35pm On Jan 03, 2013
I can see the point that aribisala and co are making (save for his Achebe mentality distraction). However they fail to see the underlying problem with the quotas: that is ingraining a culture of privilaedge that does no service to the common good. Whoever or whichever tribe is granted concession over merit grows to expect that same priviledge all their life. I agree affirmative action is good at some point to help pull "disadvantaged groups," it must not be allowed to play for too long so it does not become a culture. A child in Kebbi should slug it out with one from Anambra.

The fellow mentioned the worldcup being a diverse assemblage despite the fact that europe, one of the smallest continents still gets more teams than asia and africa that are bigger. So there should be a merit list irrespective of states and then a quota list that is less. And I think this shouldn't last long. Instead i would support the federal govt funding states that are more disadvantaged at the primary level since that is the foundation of education anyway.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigerian Army University, Biu Resumes Session Despite Strike / Top 5 Ways Nigerian Students Should Not Make Money / Jamb Official Blames Boko Haram For Missing N613,000 Belonging To The Board..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.