Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,230 members, 7,818,777 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:40 AM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (132) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (464403 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) (135) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Supermiy: 2:04pm On Sep 27, 2015
litaninja:
Check out these guys... http://hub360.com.ng/
They deliver to your location too...
thanks dude...didn't see this on time
Re: Ubuntu Linux by purplekayc(m): 11:25am On Oct 20, 2015
Hi guys, I was trying to install ubuntu 14.04 LTS but ran into a brick wall when my laptop couldn't read from the dvd.
Said some crucial firmware is missing...
Anytime I search online it gives a linux .deb version of ut to download,while am currently on Windows OS so I can't download.

My laptop is a Dell inspiron 1545 .
Re: Ubuntu Linux by litaninja(m): 11:31am On Oct 20, 2015
Do you have the "actual" error message? Might be that a firmware / bios update is required. Having the full error will help narrow it down.
Are you trying to dual-boot or doing a full wipe and install as the only OS on the system?
For Ubuntu downloads, on the site you can find ISO images or USB images that you can burn on a USB / Flash disk with appropriate software and install from. You shouldn't get firmware errors from those.

Cheers.

purplekayc:
Hi guys, I was trying to install ubuntu 14.04 LTS but ran into a brick wall when my laptop couldn't read from the dvd.
Anytime I search online it gives a linux .deb version of ut to download,while am currently on Windows OS so I can't download.

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 1:47pm On Oct 21, 2015
purplekayc:

Did you burn the dvd or you were given? can you view the dvd from inside windows? Are you convinced the dvd drive is not at fault (can you view any other cd/dvd using that dvd drive)?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by purplekayc(m): 9:15pm On Oct 24, 2015
blackweaver:

Did you burn the dvd or you were given? can you view the dvd from inside windows? Are you convinced the dvd drive is not at fault (can you view any other cd/dvd using that dvd drive)?
I used the same drive to Install Windows 8.1 and it gave me no problems.
I tried using ut to install ubuntu and debian jessie but gave a an error code saying the drive can't read the source dvd ,that a firmware is missing ( would get a screen shot soon here).
I downloaded and burnt the ubuntu myself but I ordered for the debian online..
Re: Ubuntu Linux by purplekayc(m): 9:19pm On Oct 24, 2015
litaninja:
Do you have the "actual" error message? Might be that a firmware / bios update is required. Having the full error will help narrow it down.
Are you trying to dual-boot or doing a full wipe and install as the only OS on the system?
For Ubuntu downloads, on the site you can find ISO images or USB images that you can burn on a USB / Flash disk with appropriate software and install from. You shouldn't get firmware errors from those.

Cheers.

its a firmware thing from the message on the screen but don't know how to go about getting it updated since the links I get to the solution are in linux format .deb and am running Windows along trying to Install the ubuntu along side. Yeah am trying to dual boot
Re: Ubuntu Linux by litaninja(m): 8:44am On Oct 25, 2015
Hmmm....You can try heading to the computer manufacturer's site for the latest bios / firmware update for your model. The update method will vary by manufacturer, but the instructions on how to proceed should be there.
Cheers.

purplekayc:
its a firmware thing from the message on the screen but don't know how to go about getting it updated since the links I get to the solution are in linux format .deb and am running Windows along trying to Install the ubuntu along side. Yeah am trying to dual boot
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 10:32am On Oct 25, 2015
simple server now works on ubuntu

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:04pm On Oct 25, 2015
gebhota:
simple server now works on ubuntu
Link to package?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 11:20am On Oct 26, 2015
purplekayc:
I used the same drive to Install Windows 8.1 and it gave me no problems.
I tried using ut to install ubuntu and debian jessie but gave a an error code saying the drive can't read the source dvd ,that a firmware is missing ( would get a screen shot soon here).
I downloaded and burnt the ubuntu myself but I ordered for the debian online..

you started booting the ubuntu before you got the error message right

might be a secureboot problem. Did your laptop come preinstalled with windows 8?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 1:00pm On Oct 26, 2015
that's the link to the simple server. http://donjajo.com/introducing-our-simpleserver-in-linux/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by purplekayc(m): 9:46pm On Oct 26, 2015
blackweaver:

you started booting the ubuntu before you got the error message right

might be a secureboot problem. Did your laptop come preinstalled with windows 8?
yeah,I started booting ubuntu before I got the error,I installed the Windows 8.1 myself
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 7:14am On Oct 27, 2015
purplekayc:
yeah,I started booting ubuntu before I got the error,I installed the Windows 8.1 myself

tried googling on installing Linux on your type of laptop. one thing you I read about is going to bios settings and changing the drive from ahci to ata. Why that should happen I don't know, by now Ubuntu normally recognises ahci out of the box. Later on when you have updated your Ubuntu to the latest, you can try changing back to ahci. I believe ahci is noticeably faster
Re: Ubuntu Linux by purplekayc(m): 9:01am On Oct 27, 2015
blackweaver:

tried googling on installing Linux on your type of laptop. one thing you I read about is going to bios settings and changing the drive from ahci to ata. Why that should happen I don't know, by now Ubuntu normally recognises ahci out of the box. Later on when you have updated your Ubuntu to the latest, you can try changing back to ahci. I believe ahci is noticeably faster
its an old laptop like 4 1/2 yeras ago its a dell inspiron 1545.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 3:51pm On Oct 27, 2015
The installation media you are using is faulty.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 8:36pm On Oct 29, 2015
Nobody even commented on the release of Ubuntu 15.10. Even I have been so busy I only found out about the release a day later. Haven't had time to try it out just yet
Re: Ubuntu Linux by HAkorehdeh(m): 9:55am On Nov 01, 2015
Got this thread using the search button with the keyword 'chrome book'. Seems it's been discussed here before.

anyone here with idea or experience using a chrome book should please tell me how much useful he finds it. I told my dad i wanted a laptop, he got me a chrome book and i have planned a lot of things to do with the laptop including starting my online business career. What a big f*ck up!

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:02am On Nov 02, 2015
So what does this "online business career" entail that u can't do it on a chrome book?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by kukie(m): 6:33pm On Nov 03, 2015
Fedora23 is out today for those who want to check it out. Will probably be upgrading my laptop from 22 to 23 sometime next weekend. Want to give developers time to catch up.
p.s sorry don't know if this is strictly an Ubuntu thread, first time here.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by GoodMuyis(m): 11:33am On Nov 04, 2015
kukie:
Fedora23 is out today for those who want to check it out. Will probably be upgrading my laptop from 22 to 23 sometime next weekend. Want to give developers time to catch up.
p.s sorry don't know if this is strictly an Ubuntu thread, first time here.

I love Fedora I have F22 installed will soon do final migrate;
Re: Ubuntu Linux by spacyzuma(m): 3:36pm On Nov 04, 2015
Hello,

My laptop dualboots Ubuntu 14.04 LTS with Windows7.

I have this interactive DVD (that I use to train & study for a course). This DVD opens with Windows Media Player in Windows7.

I tried using VLC player to open it in Ubuntu, but it doesn't work.

Can someone please recommend a good dvd-player on Ubuntu that can play an interactive DVD?

Thanks.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 4:50pm On Nov 04, 2015
spacyzuma:
Hello,

My laptop dualboots Ubuntu 14.04 LTS with Windows7.

I have this interactive DVD (that I use to train & study for a course). This DVD opens with Windows Media Player in Windows7.

I tried using VLC player to open it in Ubuntu, but it doesn't work.

Can someone please recommend a good dvd-player on Ubuntu that can play an interactive DVD?

Thanks.

Is it that it can't play the dvd or what? I'm pretty sure vlc will be able to play the dvd
media -> open disc should play it
Re: Ubuntu Linux by spacyzuma(m): 4:59pm On Nov 04, 2015
blackweaver:

Is it that it can't play the dvd or what? I'm pretty sure vlc will be able to play the dvd
media -> open disc should play it

"Open Disc" command on Ubuntu's VLC doesn't work. The prog just shows its normal blank window.

On Windows7, I double-click the D drive on Windows Explorer, and it loads/opens via Windows Media Player.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 5:26pm On Nov 04, 2015
spacyzuma:

"Open Disc" command on Ubuntu's VLC doesn't work. The prog just shows its normal blank window.

On Windows7, I double-click the D drive on Windows Explorer, and it loads/opens via Windows Media Player.

Maybe it's some proprietary format, i don't know. You could try installing mplayer/gnome-mplayer or xine/gxine, though i don't know if any of those will play your dvd

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by spacyzuma(m): 5:30pm On Nov 04, 2015
blackweaver:

Maybe it's some proprietary format, i don't know. You could try installing mplayer/gnome-mplayer or xine/gxine, though i don't know if any of those will play your dvd

I'll try them. Thanks
Re: Ubuntu Linux by kukie(m): 5:46pm On Nov 04, 2015
Are you sure the needed codecs are installed, u could install gecko-media player it comes with pretty much almost all the codecs out there, then try again. Alternatively you could go into the appropriate directories in the DVD and play the files manually, if your online when you do this it would alert u to the needed codecs if its not installed already.

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by spacyzuma(m): 5:59pm On Nov 04, 2015
kukie:
Are you sure the needed codecs are installed, u could install gecko-media player it comes with pretty much almost all the codecs out there, then try again. Alternatively you could go into the appropriate directories in the DVD and play the files manually, if your online when you do this it would alert u to the needed codecs if its not installed already.

I'll try this gecko media player.

The dvd is for interactive training. It's not regular video dvd, so one can't open individual films through Explorer.

(1) (2) (3) ... (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) (135) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.